Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

[Gaming Chat]

Well shit.  Mick has been kind of a dick by continually implying but not saying it was some sort of fault of ID or something.  If he had just said this shit outright, I feel people would have understood.  I mean...I understand.  Creative process is a bitch sometimes so shit happens.

Tony Hawk 1 and 2 remasters are coming soon

Hopefully it's better than the last few times they tried doing this series right. It sounds like they're using the original Neversoft code as a base, so that is a strong start. 

• Shiny 1

If this is basically just the original games w/ updated graphics, I would totally buy this. Don't need to change anything, just fancy up the look a bit. I guess it's a PlayStation exclusive though... or at least a timed exclusive?

What Birdy said.  I would change very little.  I'd include manuals in Tiny Hawk 1, and maybe add Tony Hawk 3's reverts.  Other than that, maybe a new level or two and a couple new objectives could be cool.

This is actually weird, because I've been getting an itch to play THPS3.

As long as I don't have to listen to "worlds collide" on fucking repeat when I play it again I am down. I miss this series. 

I don't remember much about the second game, but I played the shit out of OG Tony Hawk. It would be a blast to do it all over again.

We wore out a third party PS1 controller on Tony Hawk 2 :nod:

From what I read the revert is for sure in, not sure about manuals.

29 minutes ago, MT said:

From what I read the revert is for sure in, not sure about manuals.

I'd imagine the manuals are definitely in 2 since that's where they started.  Adding reverts is clutch, though.

Robocop vs Terminator

:drool:

I remember The Culling. It didn't seem to....

wait. What? You have to pay 5.99 to buy the game.... then you have to buy Tokens if you want to play more than one game? They can get fucked.

Yeah, I don't know in what world anyone thought they could get by with that shit. :rotfl: 

• Like 1

@Vic Boss Probably won't be any time soon, but I've been considering checking out the Yakuza series after hearing a bunch of people say it's basically Shenmue but better.  Whether that's true or not, I've heard enough good things that I'm interested.  What game do you recommend starting with?

I've only ever played Yakuza Kiwami, which is a remake of Yakuza 1. Release order is 1-5, 0, 6 and then the upcoming Like A Dragon, so I'd probably do Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3-5 Remaster, 0 (People love the shit out of 0 but seem to be disappointed when they play Kiwami next), 6 and Like A Dragon.

Got a code for the closed beta for Avengers since I had it pre-ordered on Amazon (popped up at a $50 price tag at some point and wanted to reserve the price) so have been playing that for a couple hours. It plays a LOT better than it looked during the original gameplay reveal which was a pleasant surprised. There are some small things that bother me about it (switching tabs in the menu taking longer than it feels like it should being one of the main ones), but it was pretty enjoyable. In the broader scope of game mechanics, it feels like it will be a super nice looking, AAA version of that Marvel Heroes Omega game that shut down a while back. Which is to say, looter style game where your constantly pushing for new gear. Combat felt really solid though and was a good variety of combos and some interesting looking skill upgrades and the little bit I played of the available characters made each one feel sufficiently different. Looks like there will be cosmetic microtransations for different outfits and nameplates and things like that, but they also have a pretty good variety you can earn in the game itself. Not optimal, but at least it's not all in on that shit.

May actually consider keeping the pre-order at this point. So far it looks like there might be some decent depth to the game, but it's hard to say from the little bit you have access to. Interested in seeing more though. Before I was relatively sure I wouldn't get it, but this has convinced me to reconsider.

Got it on console huh?  I am considering getting it on PC but...is this going to basically need to be playing online with others like Destiny?  If it's like that...I'm not sure I want it. :lurk:

Yes and no. It's designed to be played with others it seems like, but you can turn off matchmaking and it gives you AI companions instead and as awful as that might sound, they actually DON'T suck. At least at the level of content I tried. That might not stick as well at endgame potentially but I've read that "99%" of the content can be done that way with no issues. Also, it seems like you can use matchmaking for everything though once again, may not apply to some endgame stuff. Haven't read one way or the other.

Played a few things like that though because the matchmaking is broken as fuck right now. Hoping they get that sorted by tomorrow so I can try playing with people.

One of the interesting gameplay things I found out about: Iron Man's ultimate ability is calling down the hulk buster suit and get in it. You then have the option of getting out of it and letting a teammate use it.

Also, yes console. They made Spider-man a playstation exclusive character. :x  

Doesn't sound like a timed thing either. People are pissed. The reasoning behind it is absolute garbage bs too.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-how-spider-man-became-a-playstation-exclusive-character

Honestly this reason is stupid enough and people are pissed enough I could see them backpedaling to a timed exclusivity though.

The reason is simple, Sony owns the rights and they don't wanna lose that edge. 

They own the rights to the movies.  They negotiated this with Marvel because both companies are shitbags.

To add on here, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 came out AFTER the PS4 Spider-Man game and has Spider-Man in it so there's clearly no exclusive license with Sony and Spider-Man videogames.  They're allowed to make their own series but they don't have exclusive rights.  No this, this is just the same bullshit Sony and Microsoft have been doing for years now.  It's dumb and everyone hates it.  I get really annoyed when I keep seeing people half way excusing it with things like "well they do OWN the character" which is definitely not the case at all.

• Like 1

That's the thing though, neither marvel/disney nor sony are clearing up things, and all signs are pointing to Sony at the very least owning the rights unofficially due to some backroom deals during the spiderman mcu fiasco. 

Ultimate alliance likely slipped through due to previously established contracts before the MCU deals. 

It's still all kinds of bullshit and extremely anti-consumer, but I can see why Sony would be so fierce with control over Spider-Man in media. It's a billion dollar cash cow for em. 

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

That's the thing though, neither marvel/disney nor sony are clearing up things, and all signs are pointing to Sony at the very least owning the rights unofficially due to some backroom deals during the spiderman mcu fiasco. 

Ultimate alliance likely slipped through due to previously established contracts before the MCU deals. 

I don't know why you want to push this idea.  It comes from literally nothing.  All signs point to, Sony gave either Marvel or Square a huge bag of money for an exclusive character like Sony and Microsoft have been doing with DLC for like 15 years.  It's dumb to push this complicated theory about someone owning the rights and this has to happen when there a much simpler answer pointing to the same stupid story we've been seeing forever now. :shrug:

Because there is no way sony can pony up enough money to make disney not want to sell as many copies as they can. 

That doesn't mean anything though.  Disney isn't making the game, Square is...and why would Disney not want Sony to give them extra money if that were the case anyway?  No one is concerned about selling less copies because this has been going on for literally over a decade.  Lol.

Chances are that Sony paid Square a shitload of money just like Sony paid Bungie a shit load of money or like how Microsoft used to pay Activision boatloads of money for Call of Duty.  This isn't new.

Until I see otherwise, I assume the most likely culprit is a swimming pool full of money built behind the Square office because that has historically been the case in nearly every single instance.  If this is because of Disney, that just means Disney has another swimming pool filled with money next to Scrooge McDuck's and Disney still OWNS the rights.  No one has to do anything.  When you say "well Sony owns the rights" you are inadvertantly shifting some of the blame away from everyone being the money grubbing shits they are.  There was a choice, Sony decided to bribe SOMEONE, be it Disney/Marvel or Square.  Sony owns nothing but movie rights and anything related to this is indeed just related to this.

Whatever the case is FUCK SONY and probably Disney too for doing this. :) 

https://screenrant.com/marvels-avengers-spider-man-missions-playstation-exclusive-bad/

Whether Spider-Man will ever make it to PC and Xbox is unclear. While Sony and Crystal Dynamics have expressed that the character will only be on PlayStation (especially given some of Marvel's Avengers recent advertising), Sony is not the sole owner of the Spider-Man property. Marvel ultimately dictates where the hero can appear. This means there's a slight chance Spidey may move off of the PlayStation, but given the Sony and Marvel's past relationship with Marvel's Spider-Man, it's unlikely this will occur. While the studios involved are claiming the game is being made for everyone, PlayStation owners are definitely getting special treatment via additional content, both in the form of an exclusive character and early access to certain in-game items.

Square has also long ago established that they will take money from anywhere they can get it and advertise literally anything in a game no matter how fucking weird it is (ie: the entire "Cup Noodle" questline, etc. in FFXV) and have already shown that they're doing it with this. A set of exclusive skins has already been shown that is only available to specific cell service carriers (Verizon in the US and Virgin in the UK I believe) and another set is rumored to be a promotional tie-in with Intel (possibly for one of their processors). All of which boggles the mind. This kind of thing is normally thrown at consumable shit like energy drinks or whatever. Almost nobody is going to change cell carriers or buy a new computer processor for a set of game skins. :screwy:

Sony is also getting a bunch of other exclusive  or timed exclusive content including non-cosmetic content so there was clearly a bag of money involved in this whole thing somewhere.

To reiterate, this is the same company, through which, you effectively had to pay $50 to get this:

Spoiler

K63I0Zr.jpg

• ROFL 1

Was already pretty meh on the Avengers game after the beta but yeah, I'm done with the game now:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/marvels_avengers_has_a_paid_battle_pass_for_every_superhero_after_launch

@Mera'din nearly cancelled his pre-order I think lol

Went kinda mobile f2p on a 60 dollar console game.  Great job guys.  It's not like the worst of the worst but it's just...kinda scummy especially compared to the PS4 Spider-Man game showering you in free skins.  When games do this, I feel like they also tend to make things like this a pain in the ass so people will just pay for them.

I did cancel it. It was before I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I still don't feel comfortable paying even $50 for it.

The "challenge card" is not a traditional battle pass style of thing. You don't pay for the cards for the base characters, and there's no time limit on getting all the stuff. They're permanent and not a "seasonal" thing. The track on the card gives you some of the premium currency, and the cost of the card for any new character that comes out is 1000 credits ($10) and you get all of those credits back via completing the card. So if you complete the base ones then you don't actually have to pay anything to get the ones for new characters but yeah, I'm sure it's a mega grind fest to complete those. They still have the premium currency store using the credits too though that has skins not on the challenge cards so it's still a pretty shitty setup overall.

I'm going to wait for a price drop and/or wait to see how they handle future content. All characters, quests, story, areas, etc. added will all be completely free so I get the need to make money from something but if they make additional cards for existing heroes that also have to be bought and it's not a "one time" fee per new character as a whole, I'm probably not going to touch it anytime soon. Paying for skins and emotes and other cosmetic shit up front is one thing (nevermind that it's still pretty lame after something like Spider-man as web said), but if they're going to effectively start double dipping, then I don't want anything to do with it.

I'd pre-ordered Avengers to try out the Closed Beta, and decided to keep the pre-order. :P So I guess I'll have it Friday (hopefully) for PS4.

I'll probably still get it eventually because I liked the story levels in the beta a lot. I just didn't care for literally anything else they seem to be putting into the game so i want to give it a bit to see what kind of shenanigans they get up to with monetizing it before I put money down on it. Would be fun to play something with you again though. >_> 

We could play a good game together though. :xd:

Like Overwatch :shiny:

I'd like to play something together that lasts more than 3 matches before someone rage quits. XD

8 hours ago, webhead said:

We could play a good game together though. :xd:

Never gonna happen.

2 hours ago, Mera'din said:

I'd like to play something together that lasts more than 3 matches before someone rage quits. XD

I get tired/bored after that many games usually any way, but then again that's going solo.

I'm going to get borderlands 3 eventually when the complete collection is like 20 bucks and we can do that. :P

1 hour ago, webhead said:

borderlands 3

nDPdVDm.gif

I really can't get into those games. Really don't know why. I really enjoy the humor in them, but it took me like 5 attempts and 2 years to finally finish the story in BL2. Think I'm halfway through the first DLC otherwise. XD

Gameplay is fun but I can only play so much at a time.  Burned out real bad played BL2 and just couldn't do it for a while. :lol:

Saw this on Reddit

That seemed pretty fair overall. Pretty much what I expected it to be too. IE: Mostly enjoyable until the campaign is over and the grind starts unless you REALLY like that kind of thing.

Today we're ordering in pizza and coincidentally I'm going to play Good Pizza, Great Pizza which is out for Switch today. :O

It was almost an instant pre-order for me as I always found those stupid diner dash time management games really relaxing - Woofie and I played Overcooked recently and loved it but I wanted something more decidedly single-player too. Recently we got a hand-me-down iPad from Woofie's folks so I looked up what games were out there these days, but the combination of them all being """""""free-to-download""""""" and the artwork for pretty much all of them being uglier/more garish than ever soon put me off. So seeing a similar game which has decent artwork, I can pay £5ish for and have done with it, and I can play on my Switch was really appealing. :) Hopefully it'll be good!

Hearing a lot of good about Avengers, which has me excited to start playing. :O

Same with the THPS Remaster. Might have to pick that up sometime.

The THPS remaster is quite good. Considering how their last two attempts turned out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, I'm hearing good things about the single player in Avengers.

8 minutes ago, MT said:

The THPS remaster is quite good. Considering how their last two attempts turned out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, I'm hearing good things about the single player in Avengers.

Why would you be surprised when they're just upgraded versions of two games that were already excellent?

• ROFL 1

I am hearing good things about Avengers single player.  Another game with live service shit shoehorned into it but at least not completely ruining it.  I will probably watch for a sale and run through it at some point. :nod:

53 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Why would you be surprised when they're just upgraded versions of two games that were already excellent?

Someone clearly didn't play Tony Hawk HD or Tony Hawk 5.

You absolutely can fuck up a remake or remaster or re-anything where they touch it at all.  It should be impossible but somehow it is. :P

4 hours ago, MT said:

Someone clearly didn't play Tony Hawk HD or Tony Hawk 5.

I don't count Tony Hawk 5 because it's a new entry.  The new entries have been mostly bad to garbage ever since the first Underground.

I actually didn't know they had done Tony Hawk HD, but from what I can tell, it wasn't a remake proper.  It was more like a "greatest hits" of THPS1 and 2 while removing content that were available in the original games.  Considering this is meant to be more of a proper remake of the first two, I had solid hopes for it.