Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Nintendo General

I actually thought it made sense that each "console" is a separate app. :nod:

Yeah, I assume it has to do with minor programming issues or something.  Probably easier to make it a separate app altogether than to update the NES one.

Played a 20-40 minutes of a few different games to get my nostalgia kicks/try ones I never did.  Pretty sure Super Metroid got the largest chunk of that time.

Yeah it's probably running a different ROM for each console since they're technically not backwards compatible on the same exact system even though the Switch has the hardware horsepower to handle them.

Kinda like how your android phone still needs different emulator apps to run GBA games and N64 games.

I'm actually super stoked AF for this. :jumboshiny:

This means I can finally ditch the Virtual Console on the 3DS and the emulated games on my android tablet that I couldn't play any other way like the OG Star Fox (Nintendo couldn't legally re-release it until now due to strange copyright shenanigans).

• Zelda ALttP
  • Super Metroid
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario World
  • Mario Kart
  • F-Zero

:nod:

Plus I'm gonna get even more mileage out of my 8BitDo SN30 Pro bluetooth gamepad now. I've already been using it for nearly a year as a Switch Pro Controller, Android controller for emulators, and as a PC controller for Steam games (used it when I recently played Dishonored 2), but it was literally made for these SNES games. :D

I think the controller I bought recently is the same one :highfive: 

• Like 1

If this weren't on Nintendo's own Youtube page, i'd assume this was a joke.

Yeah...I'm good.  No thanks. :rotfl:

Stadium Events for Switch :rotfl:

10 minutes ago, little birdy said:

Stadium Events for Switch :rotfl:

I'll buy one if it becomes worth more than $10K plus in the future. 

2 hours ago, Eizan said:

I'll buy one if it becomes worth more than $10K plus in the future. 

I'll buy a case of them!

I’m starting to get hyped for the Links Awakening remake. Seems this style would be great for a new Earhbound/Mother too. Just saying Nintendo...

7 hours ago, Revolver said:

I’m starting to get hyped for the Links Awakening remake. Seems this style would be great for a new Earhbound/Mother too. Just saying Nintendo...

Yeah, we're definitely due an Earthbound HD Remake.

12 hours ago, Revolver said:

I am mildly interested in Link's Awakening. I don't even know why there is a part if me that still wants to like Zelda games. I generally don't enjoy most of them :confused: If I do ever play this one, two things are for sure: i) I won't pay full price (79.99 CAD for a remake of a Game Boy title, WTF Nintendo :rotfl:); ii) I'm FAQing start to finish to increase the odds of enjoyment. 

I should really just save all my money and replay one of the two Zelda games that I know I like (LttP or Minish Cap).

Most Zeldas are linear, only the NES ones are really confusing as fu

I like the action elements of most Zelda games, but puzzle-heavy dungeons are a drag. That's what the FAQ is for. 

Ohhh, I gotcha

part1.jpg

Also I knew I recognize the LA style from somewhere

41 minutes ago, little birdy said:

I should really just save all my money and replay one of the two Zelda games that I know I like (LttP or Minish Cap).

You should like Link's Awakening, it and Link to the Past are very similar. It was originally going to be a port of LttP. Although both pretty much my #1/2 favorite Zelda Games. 

Also nothing in LA is worse than LttP Ice Palace. 

Alright, I'll take your word for it... but I'm still quite put off by the price :lurk:

50 minutes ago, little birdy said:

Alright, I'll take your word for it... but I'm still quite put off by the price :lurk:

Wait until it drops? Or find away to play the original version? 

The price does seem a bit much to me as well.  I want it but I'll have to wait for a price drop.  Of course it's a Nintendo game so it'll take forever for that to happen.  Maybe a good digital sale for black friday or something. :nod:

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how soon Mario Odyssey dropped down to $47. I think it happened the Spring after the Holiday season when it released, so less than 6 months?

Then again, I never did see BotW on sale...

That's why I loved that best buy gcu thing.  Nintendo games take fucking forever to go on sale and even then, gcu was basically the sale price lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's honestly why I haven't bought any full priced Ninty titles in a while. $60-120 for games is just a bit much sometimes. Lotta sales on other games and indies,so I've been picking up those.

These people are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too fucking happy in this video. It's kind of creepy.

Immediately thought of this :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

Yeah, this thing is dumb. Even by Nintendo audience standards. Labo was better than this.

Yeah, I agree the price seems high. I wish it were like $40. The one nice thing about Nintendo having a separate handheld line was the cheaper price point games.

After years of only having a 3DS and Vita, it has not been easy adjusting to Switch game prices. There are very few games that I'm willing to pay $80 for. 

Anybody here get a Switch Lite? 

Thoughts? How does it feel vs. the regular Switch? Lighter? More comfortable? Is the screen good? etc.

Regular Switch cramps my hands, Lite actually feels more comfortable to hold, but I didn't play the Lite for any extended time.

D-Pad on the lite is noticeably better.

Nothing else really stood out to me.

I find myself wanting to buy a yellow one

Aight, went and stole it and played a bit with both.

The OG Switch feels flimsier, the Lite feels compact and solid, like you could drop it and it could absorb the fall.

The shoulder buttons feel like they have more padding on them, lighter to press.

The screen is smaller but it doesn't seem significantly smaller. My sister mentioned noticing a slight difference and she does play handheld on the OG far more often than I do.

It came with an AC Adapter, which was something she was worried about because the box was so small

The Yellow looks nice.

If you want me to justify you getting one, I can give it a thumbs up.

I'm trying very hard to not spend money needlessly right now, so I think my willpower will win out... but it's tempting!

• Like 1

I would love if they came out with a Joy-con that had the d-pad of the Lite, but I guess there's not a lot of economical use in it considering it's supposed to double as a button pad when you use it separately.  But there aren't a lot of games where that's necessary.

I got a Turquoise one! :nod: But I haven't played it much yet, and may not until Pokémon comes out (I got it on pre-order because we could get it at a higher Argos discount for a limited time, which meant I saved £30 on full price). First impressions of the hardware are good - it has a nice feel to it, and the size difference to the original Switch is such that you don't feel the screen size suffers much, but it's more comfortable to hold and definitely that bit more portable. Also, with the OG Switch in handheld mode you do occasionally feel like the joy-cons are at risk of clicking off the main body of the machine without you meaning to, which isn't a disaster but it can be a bit awkward and it's just something you're quietly aware of. With the Lite that isn't an issue.

Although the Primary/Secondary Switch setup business is still confusing and a bit of a nightmare (especially re: saves and so on), I was relieved to learn that although you need Wifi to play games downloaded onto your primary Switch from your secondary Switch, it literally just uses it for a second to check the game isn't in use. You don't have to maintain a connection the whole time, which is what I initially thought they meant (which would obviously be pointless and awful). So it seems like you can literally just set up a wifi hotspot on your phone for a minute, let the Lite connect to it then disconnect and keep playing.

The primary/secondary business does sound a bit annoying... :-/

21 hours ago, Jane said:

Although the Primary/Secondary Switch setup business is still confusing and a bit of a nightmare (especially re: saves and so on), I was relieved to learn that although you need Wifi to play games downloaded onto your primary Switch from your secondary Switch, it literally just uses it for a second to check the game isn't in use. You don't have to maintain a connection the whole time, which is what I initially thought they meant (which would obviously be pointless and awful). So it seems like you can literally just set up a wifi hotspot on your phone for a minute, let the Lite connect to it then disconnect and keep playing.

Just the first time or EVERY time?  Because if that's every time, holy shit is that awful. :eek3:

Okay that's kind of fucking awesome.  I might need to get that to play with Luna. :lurk:

For her of course.  Not for me.  I don't need that.

Xenoblade Remaster in May :shiny:

Nintendo's p. much dominating quarantine life

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

Xenoblade Remaster in May 

Fucking finally. Been waiting for this for what feels like forever. Will give me a good reason to finally make use of the switch. Kids are going to hate me in May. XD

• Like 1

I'm hoping they still have dual audio in it, Perfect Cell as Metal Face = <3