Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Nintendo General

Wish they'd release a regular joy-con with the normal d-pad too. It's weird that they haven't yet, since I imagine it can't take that much extra effort to produce.

I honestly like this. It's a cheaper alternative for those who want a switch more for mobility than home use. 

Though Desi and I both agree that we would rather wait for the more powerful version before getting a second switch, which we will need when pokes comes out :lurk:

Depending on what games it supports / doesn't support (I don't know if there's going to be a different like 3DS vs. New 3DS?) I might prefer the Switch Lite to my regular Switch. I put away the dock a while back because I never play it on the TV anyhow.

According to Nintendos website it supports any game that supports the mobile feature. 

The most significant game it doesn't seem to support is Mario Party, though that may be patched eventually. It supports anything that can play handheld mode, and you can use joycons with it. There's no power difference like 3DS/New 3DS so it should otherwise play everything.

This one's a shrug for me. When I play Switch it's in TV mode because handheld mode cramps my fingers, they're just a bit too long and I end up clawing the thing to press shoulder buttons. I way preferred the Wii U Tablet size for handheld mode.

I like having the flexibility of the original Switch.  I use handheld MORE but I still use the docked mode for stuff like Smash and Zelda (which I do in both modes).

kf41IPd.jpg

• ROFL 3

Oh just wait Nintendo will release a PS TV like device to play the switch games only on the TV. For those who only have a Switch Lite. 

That would be a completely pointless device as the standard switch can do that.

The reason the portable device is appealing is:

1. lower Price point (<- this is the big one, something a TV only could not match as the lower price point as it has a lot to do with the removed HD rumble features and undetachable joycons.)

2. Smaller size for easier portability

3. Slight increase to battery life

Also for getting kids. Less things to lose/break/detach from it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Death Rider Mox said:

And less of a loss when they inevitably find a way to break it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

This I can see being a good reason.

2 hours ago, Galeigh said:

1. lower Price point (<- this is the big one, something a TV only could not match as the lower price point as it has a lot to do with the removed HD rumble features and undetachable joycons.)

For the time being, there are good enough sales regularly on the original that the lower price point is not really that attractive. :shrug:

It also gives Nintendo a reason to not give the regular Switch a price drop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Galeigh said:

That would be a completely pointless device as the standard switch can do that.

I disagree, but in the same aspect if you already own a standard Switch then the Switch Lite is pointless to begin with. Just like the 2DS was pointless if you already owned a 3DS. 

Honestly I rather have a Switch Lite + a device that allows me to just put in a cart instead of docking my system every time.

6 hours ago, Eizan said:

Oh just wait Nintendo will release a PS TV like device to play the switch games only on the TV. For those who only have a Switch Lite. 

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this was the gimmick for the 'New' Nintendo Switch Pro. Higher specs but no portable option. Just a dedicated console.

3 hours ago, Eizan said:

Honestly I rather have a Switch Lite + a device that allows me to just put in a cart instead of docking my system every time.

I don't think I understand what you mean here.

Have a system dedicated for handheld and TV separately. It would be like having Gameboy and Super Gameboy/Gameboy Player or Vita/PS TV. 

Mainly it's because personally I don't like the dock., which is why I use my system 90% of the time as a handheld. 

• Like 1

That's such a strange complaint.  It is ridiculously easy to dock the Switch.  I've never heard someone complain about that process  before. :blink:

Why don't you like the dock?  The way it fits or some other thing?  I am not really seeing why you would not like the dock.  It's interesting.  There are alternative docks btw.  Downshift has a super tiny one that is fairly easy to use. :nod:

32 minutes ago, webhead said:

That's such a strange complaint.  It is ridiculously easy to dock the Switch.  I've never heard someone complain about that process  before. :blink:

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have multiple things hooked up + a 6 yeae old. I don't have a large entertainment center, so it really doesn't sit anywhere really good.

Although maybe looking into smaller one wouldn't be so bad compared to bulky one that comes with it. 

Maybe I have too many things hooked up... :lurk:

When I swap HDMI cables the Switch Dock is usually the worse to deal with. 

Having a slimmer dock might just eliminate all the problems I have. 

5 hours ago, Eizan said:

I disagree, but in the same aspect if you already own a standard Switch then the Switch Lite is pointless to begin with. Just like the 2DS was pointless if you already owned a 3DS. 

Nah, a TV only would cost exactly as much as a standard switch but with less features as it's not portable. Ergo useless. 

A portable only isnt useless. Pricepoint aside, some people just don't want a home console cause they either travel too much or spend a lot of time not at home. So having a cheaper, portable only is appealing to them. 

10 minutes ago, Galeigh said:

Nah, a TV only would cost exactly as much as a standard switch but with less features as it's not portable. Ergo useless. 

I doubt it would cost the same, the PS TV was $100($150 from launch price) cheaper than the Vita. Considering it removed the touch screen and touch pads from the system. 

Then again though we are talking about Nintendo, so it probably would cost the same. 

Realistically it should cost the same as an Nvidia Shield...because it basically IS an Nvidia Shield. :P

No screen or battery involved...that's definitely going to push the price down.

It's legit interesting to me hearing how people use their Switches. I am almost 100% a docked TV player (it's too small for my hands so I end up clawing and cramping). A lot of the game journalists/enthusiast press I listen to use it primarily in Handheld because they travel a lot. My sister uses both on the regular.

Having all three versions (Handheld only, TV only, maybe a Handheld XL/Pro, and one that can do it all) would probably be a good idea but I always think more than two SKUs is probably confusing the marketplace (even though I guess 3DS, 3DS Lite and New 3DS did it)

I wouldn't say it's a strange complaint at all. Frankly it'd be ideal. Then we'd have a fully portable, a dedicated console and an intermediary all for the same generation of games. Sure some games aren't playable but it'd be fine to have access to most games portably, have access to higher spec games console only and be able to 'Switch' with the OG ?

I'd feel more comfortable with a TV only option as well. I have to watch my kids like a hawk with the thing. It's mainly for them (I've used it all of once I think), but there is no way in fucking hell they are ever undocking the thing considering how badly they treated/treat the Wii U gamepad. >_o

6 hours ago, Mera'din said:

I'd feel more comfortable with a TV only option as well. I have to watch my kids like a hawk with the thing. It's mainly for them (I've used it all of once I think), but there is no way in fucking hell they are ever undocking the thing considering how badly they treated/treat the Wii U gamepad. >_o

I guess you could zip tie that thing down.   I don't know about the older kids, but Tyrion will definitely break it in whatever 2 second span you aren't watching him. :rotfl:

One of them took it out once and I went off on them bad enough that I think they're legitimately afraid to touch it, the dock, or anything in a 1 ft. radius of the dock. >_>

• ROFL 1

Picked up one of these things today:

V2jI1iS.png

I'm looking forward to testing it out!

(wrong pic - I got the Bluetooth version - but whatever...)

I'd been thinking about getting one of those sometime.

I keep almost getting one but the controllers I have seem good enough.  Between the Nvidia Shield controller and PS4 controllers I'm not sure I see a need.

What made you finally pull the trigger?

A while back I was planning to get one of the USB adaptor thingys to use a DS4 controller with my Switch, but I got rid of my DS4 when I sold my PSTV (RIP my Vita/PSTV stuff :crying2: :salute:) so that was no longer an option. For the most part I'm okay just using the joy cons, but there are times when the asymmetrical design of Switch controllers really bugs me. I like it better when the analog sticks are directly across from each other. When I saw this controller in Best Buy the other day it caught my eye. So far so good. I like it. 

I have their regular style SNES pad and it's great. 

So at the weekend I just preordered a Switch Lite... :x

Reason: when Pokemon comes out I know Woofie and I both going to get a copy (1 sword, 1 shield, not sure which yet)... so it really is probably the time to get another Switch of some kind. I'd rather have a full-size Switch in the long run - among other things, I'm definitely going to want to play ACNH on my own Switch, both handheld and on the TV.... but I want to wait and see if there's going to be an Animal Crossing themed full-sized Switch, or joycons at least (which I'm pessimistic about - it seems more likely to be a themed Switch Lite). So in the meantime, I'll get a Lite and just take good care of it so I can trade it in and get a full-sized and/or themed Switch in six months or so.

It really is annoying that Nintendo don't have a better setup in place for households that have a full-size Switch and a Switch Lite, though. If I want to play a game both handheld on my Lite and on my TV using the main Switch, it's going to be really awkward thanks to the complicated way the primary/secondary Switch stuff works. Seems like if they want to encourage multiple switches on one Family group they should make it easier to, well, switch.

With deals on the normal Switch, I'm not sure it'd be worth it to do that.  I'm too cheap for full price if I can help it.  Those themed ones are how they get ya!

That said, even I traded in my Pokemon X and Y 3DS, I got a pretty damn generous trade in value for it. :lol:

Yeah, I know... but I hold on to consoles for a long time and only get ones where I know I'll get a lot of use out of it (i.e. Nintendo basically, haha) so don't mind a slightly higher initial outlay for something that's cute or cool-looking. :P  My DS Lite and 3DS were both shades of pink, but I've never had a themed one. It'd have to be nice enough to spend the extra, I guess, so we'll wait and see.

The other thing is that I know that either way I'd want a newer Switch model, rather than the old ones they'll be selling off - replacement joycons/controllers are expensive. :| I'm hoping the Switch Lite will have the recently improved build quality too, but if not then all the more reason to trade it in after 6 months. :lurk:

Oh yeah, Nintendo Direct today/tonight! Not sure we'll get to watch it as we need to go to bed early... plus I'm never sure how many details I want to know about the stuff I'm hyped for, and it seems like this'll be that sort of direct.

>Xenoblade Definitive

:jumboshiny:

(Better be Japanese subs :lurk:)

Impressed by the SNES library too, there's a few on there i haven't played and probs will check out (or play for a bit for the massive nostalgia, like Super Soccer)

Fuuuuuuuck, Nintendo hasn't had a library that's felt this full since the SNES

• Like 1

Depending on the price, I'm interested in Little Town Hero :thinking2:

Watching this right now.  Totes forgot.

1 hour ago, little birdy said:

Depending on the price, I'm interested in Little Town Hero :thinking2:

That's the game that made Pokemon look so dull/missing features this time out, because Game Freak cares more about it than their money-maker

Gotta give a new game a big push. Maybe they're tired of Pokemon. 

They totally gotta be. That game was a passion project, Pokemon's the same-old

Any of you PC gamers play Torchlight II before? Is it any good? Caught my eye on the eShop. 

Honestly...I'd just get Diablo if you want to scratch that itch.

I have Diablo 3 and it's not doing it for me like I had hoped. Probably just gonna do another run through Diablo II next time I get the itch.

But Torchlight II is pretty cheap too. Guess I'll wishlist out for now and wait for a sale price. 

Torchlight 2 is pretty fun TBH, it just lacks the same polish a AAA dev like blizzard was able to give D3.

The biggest upside to TL2 tho is that it is so optimized you could run it on a toaster and still get a solid 60 fps. Oh, and the devs are made up of former Diablo 2 devs. 

SNES app is finally available! :shiny:

Just started Super Mario World for a few minutes.  Woo! :D

• Shiny 1

Yeah I grabbed that SNES app right after I got home from work. Was about to start schooling the 8 year old on Mario Kart when the baby interrupted us :-/ 

Weird that it's a separate app but whatever