Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Winter Anime 2021

Spoiler

I totally get that they're kids and in a very fucked up situation. If anything I think that Marley is more fucked up because it feels like 10x more propaganda they've fed their people vs eren and the others growing up. Because for them in the beginning the thought their enemies were just monsters, then found out they're human. Marley citizens (at least from how I'm seeing this. ) have ALWAYS known that the enemies are human and have continuously fed that propaganda to their generations. It's totally the adults fault for putting those kids in this fucked up situation on both sides. I don't really see the similarity to gabi and eren when he was goal focused on revenge for his mom's death and gabi seems to be goal oriented on being some glorified hero which is totally amped up from her and reiner's family. Unless I'm missing something.

Spoiler

It's not a 1:1 parallel, but her drive is the same as Eren. Well before his mom's death Eren thought the Scout Regiment was the epitome of glory and freedom and aspired to be heroic, Gabi sees her path to being an Honorary Marleyan in a very similar tunnel vision way. They're both showy lil single minded brats but Gabi has more raw skill than Eren, or at least we are introduced to her showing that. We're introduced to Eren in a much more sympathetic way. Eren's goal for revenge has long been warped from what it was, we're just conditioned to follow his acts as the protag. 

Like I said, I'm not telling you you gotta like her, I just think the whole thing flows better when you put her in that context rather than "wow look at this lil shithead" because I know I felt differently about the end events when I started thinking of her in that way!

• Like 1

AoT @ Tassi

Spoiler

Don't listen to them.  You think you'll understand Gabi later, but watching through this has made me hate her all over again.

• ROFL 1

LET ME TRY TO HELP PEOPLE ENJOY THINGS DAMNIT XD

• ROFL 1

Nah it's fine Psy and I can be team anti Gabi. :cheers:

• Shiny 1

that's fine! I think i said it a million times (but i had to take a pill and i'm not re reading all my shit) but i'm in no way telling you you gotta like her, just wanted to share how I came to terms with her

• Like 1

I actually really enjoy her as a character element, and chances are your opinions will soften on her.

But just saying, I was at peace with her character in the manga and was actually telling my girlfriend to chill out on the Gabi hate when we started this season...and a couple episodes later and I'm feeling the hate train all over again.

• ROFL 1

That's because there's a big difference reading it in your head and hearing it out loud. :koffing:

i mean, i'm not gonna lie, the only reason i even brought up my "look at it this way" bit was because episode one started and there she was and I was just like YOOOOOOOOU D:< 

• ROFL 1

2 hours ago, Tassifox said:

That's because there's a big difference reading it in your head and hearing it out loud. :koffing:

IIRC she's just as obnoxious in the manga at this point in the story, the anime doesn't really make her worse I don't think. She'll continue to be hard-to-like for a while yet... but she does experience some real character growth eventually! Who knows, you might still hate her in the end anyhow, but I think most people's opinions will come around at least a little bit on her later on. 

• Like 1

nah i changed my mind fuck gabi

• Shiny 1
  • ROFL 1

1 hour ago, Anelle said:

nah i changed my mind fuck gabi

Save that reaction for a few more episodes from now

:uhoh:

• ROFL 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:54 AM, little birdy said:

I think I will have increased capacity for watching anime over the winter. What else will there be to do? :rotfl: 

For sure watching:

- SnK

- Jujutsu Kaisen (I think it will continue into winter..?)

- Neverland

- Dr. Stone

I feel like I'm also going to need some slice of life and comedic relief if we're in lockdown for part of the winter and I start spiraling, so I will check out Horimiya and Bungou Stray Dogs Wan! and perhaps others. I haven't look at the whole winter chart yet.

Finally, as always, I will continue to search for my Holy Grail -- anime original, 12-13 episodes with a good story. Back Arrow could be promising, and I will probably also give SK∞ a look too.

Only about a week or so left until most of these shows I'm interested in start airing. It looks like Crunchyroll will have me covered for Dr. Stone (and of course SnK and Juju), but I'm not sure yet if they'll also have Neverland. CR hasn't unveiled their full winter lineup yet, but right now it's looking like I'll need to restart my Funi subscription if I want to check out Back Arrow, SK∞, and Horimiya. Also noticed another anime original on Funi called Wonder Egg Priority that could be worth a look.

edit: also I didn't notice before but apparently the final season of SnK will be 16 episodes..? Only 12 left :crying2: And it look like no new episode until next weekend :crying2:

So I tried watching Vlad Love and I'm not sure what all I just watched :twitch2:

YOSHHHHHHHHH ok caught up on Jujutsu Kaisen moving my talk about it here since it's gonna start back up in a couple weeks let's fuckin' DO THIS

I've been wanting to watch it from the word go but I was too fuckin' depressed. Since I got new monitors I've been watching more and more shit I just couldn't give my attention before because I have a new shiny way to watch them so I'M FINALLY FULLY ON BOARD

• Like 1

TO-KYO PREEEESON

I'M GOING TO RELIGHT YOUR FEE-RING

Fuck you animators that waste a long awaited new season of Slime Datta Ken with a recap episode!!!! :pissed2:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Finally Promised Neverland S2!!!!  :shiny::shiny::shiny:

Spoiler

Pretty much starts off right where we left off. Just escaped from the farm, probably a day or two worth of time passed since.
Ohhh nifty tech.
Fuck giant monster.
Double fuck monster got beheaded by alien.....
NO! RAY!
Well shit are these demons allies or helping the kids a hidden agenda? I vote hidden agenda.

Also! Re:Zero S2 PT 2!

Spoiler

Haaaahaaaa you got grilled by the Merchant!
Roswal SHOWDOWN
Roswal is so very confused but probably slightly aroused by this proposal?

*Processes all the Ryuzu copies info*
Figures Garf would have mommy issues....
PUCK!
Aww! Flash of Babeh Lia!
Nuuuuuuuuuu PUCK
.....THAT....was a look Mr. Merchant.....

Pretty damn exciting first episode back for Neverland :nod:

• Like 1

higurashi gou e14

Spoiler

OH SHIT THEY SHOWED IT i thought we'd have to wait for a full answer to see what went down with Ooishi and just leave us with Rena's account for now. 

Hanyuu is completely gone and Rika says 5 more loops, huh? I wonder how much we'll see. If we're going that route then does this mean that there will be another full season of answer arc and Gou is all question arcs? GUESS I'LL JUST BE IN MORE SUSPENSE FOREVER, AS IS ALWAYS INTENDED WITH THIS SERIES 

• Like 1

Higurashi

Spoiler

FUCK they didn't waste time for the "so this happened". Shit I don't think I've ever seen Oishi this scary. Do you bet that Hello Science Nurse injected him with the virus?
I knew it. I knew there was a reason we see adult Rika back in Nurse's childhood for a reason!!!! FUCK!

We have 10 more eps. It will be interesting to see what happens here. But I feel like this current loop will be slightly more informational since Keichi caught on the fact of HOW Rika said about not finding her and pushed to keep looking.

First episodes of SK∞ and Horimiya are coming up this weekend, I think they'll both be going live on Funi sometime Saturday morning. Gonna check them out after the kids are in bed tomorrow night :nod:

Yuru Camp S2E1 with the comfiest first two minutes of anything in existence < 3

Just watched Horimiya, cute first impression and I have a feeling I'll stick with this one.

Back Arrow #1 -- Looks like it could be pretty fun. Briheights are nifty. I haven't watched a mecha show in a while so I'll stick with it. 

Horimiya #1 -- A mixed bag but enough to keep me interested for another week. Hoping for more of the lighthearted / funny / random stuff and less of the somewhat cringe-y teenage romance stuff. 

Okay  SK already has points for having fennec fox sidekick. :shiny: The animation is good, definitely another boy harem anime but it has enough to balance out to see where it goes.

SK∞ #1 -- Kinda ridiculous, seems like it won't be very good. But I'll give it another chance because there was some good music, a bit of decent skateboarding action, and one of the main characters is Canadian :lol:

SnK #64

Eat shit, Willy!

:evillaugh:

Sucks how long they dragged out Eren and Reiner's little chat there, but oh well. Next couple episodes gonna be action packed.

Everything I've read online says the final season will be 16 episodes, but... there's lots left to happen yet. I hope the final episodes don't feel rushed. Or maybe that number 16 is wrong? I dunno. 

AoT

Spoiler

I see that eren has worked on his timing better over 4 years.
Bye Willy!

Watched Kenmono Jihen. Imma gonna like this one. Good start that quietly gets your attention. But so far good.

So even though it's another isekai and while I have been watching some of that genre still this one was supposed to be highly anticipated and good reviews so I watched the first ep of Mushoku Tensei

Spoiler

Friend of mine pointed out something in most isekai's when they start. Why are majority of them that die in our reality before being reborn or transported always by car crash? Food for thought there.

So naturally another shut in who dies, and is literally reborn as he's dying into a new life, newborn coming out of the womb, but has all his memories of his previous life. And similar to Slime Datta Ken vibes, he's reborn into a family that is loving and nurturing. Parents with a "ahem" healthy relationship it seems and even when they find out he's a natural with magic, they are supportive. So far it wasn't bad with how they approached his growing up so far and introducing the mage tutor. It might actually be up to the hype they're giving it.

I noticed both of those on Funi last night, might check them out tonight. I'm not sure if I'm up for an isekai this season unless it's really good, but it doesn't hurt to check out one episode. Kemono Jihen might be a winner though :thinking2: 

• Like 1

well y'all got my interest so I watched Kemono Jihen and it looks like I'm on board for this one too, hopefully it keeps it up

• Like 1

Like I said Kenmono does a subtle catch your attention, the animation is good. It's definitely feels like it'll be worth my Five episode rule. Almost gives me a feel like that detective is like a "school for wayward demon spawn" kinda feel like Professor X  :sweat:

Yeah the first episode of Kemono Jihen was pretty good. It had an almost cinematic quality to it. I especially liked the feel/atmosphere of the first half of the episode. The second half of the episode got a little darker than I was anticipating. Hopefully the series doesn't get too heavy like that. I'm adding it to my queue and will keep up with it at least a couple more weeks to see how it goes.

• Like 1

I dropped ex arm out of my lineup. They're doing this weird bit where you have both 2D and 3D (bad kind) characters in the same scene along with mostly 2D background. The 3D characters being the leads naturally, and then the rest of the episodes fight and action scenes were mostly 3D with the characters. It was totally distracting and I couldn't focus. Just why?

Finally Slime Datta Ken S2 first ep. Although they wasted the previous episode doing a whole recap they did another one in this ep but only like 2 min and then moved on with the story. Why bother doing a whole half hour of recap if you're going to do another one in 2 min (which I would have much preferred between the two)? It's not a high episode count of a series.

Stray Dogs Wan! #1 -- 11 minute episodes so I might watch a bit more, but it was not very amusing. I did lol pretty hard re: Dazai's suicide locker though :rotfl:

Wonder Egg Priority #1 -- I'm still not entirely sure what the heck I just watched, but I'm intrigued enough to watch a couple more episodes. It's a very pretty looking show. Weird but pretty dark premise :uhoh:

12 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Finally Slime Datta Ken S2 first ep. Although they wasted the previous episode doing a whole recap they did another one in this ep but only like 2 min and then moved on with the story. Why bother doing a whole half hour of recap if you're going to do another one in 2 min (which I would have much preferred between the two)? It's not a high episode count of a series.

From what I saw, the previous episode was listed as "Episode 0" so not counted as an "official" episode

Watched first ep of Horimiya, adorable and funny first ep! Time will tell if it becomes a teen romance slog or not I guess but I'm always fond of funny idiots bonding. I've never gotten around to checking out the web comic or the manga so all this is fresh to me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

From what I saw, the previous episode was listed as "Episode 0" so not counted as an "official" episode

Gogoanime always shows them as point five so I know it's not a real episode when they show that. It's still a waste, even with it mostly edits and few scenes of new animation to put in between why waste the costs for something that they're going to do again in a more efficient method on the official episode?

Log On Horizon S2 finally started! Not a bad start but it's typical for them.
Redo of a Healer surprised me, started off with a TV Mature rating warning which i don't think I've seen most anime, even gory ones do that before. The way the synopsis made it sound I thought it was gonna be more light hearted fantasy. Nope! :blink: We'll see how that one goes.

Re: Zero S2Pt2

Spoiler

Yayyyyyyyy Otto background! I'm actually shocked on how much he's grown from a side character to up front stage character.
FINALLY GOT TO KISS LIA WITHOUT SCARY WITCH LIA!
Oh crap Garf gonna do you a harm....

I checked out the first episode of Project Scard last night. I'm not in love with the art style even though in some ways the visuals are nice. The characters seemed very bland though. There are some interesting ideas in this show, but the ways it's all presented came across as rather uninteresting to me. I'll give it another try next week and see what happens.

Dr. Stone Stone Wars wasted no time on jumping into more science projects. This should be interesting.

Spoiler

Of course he would make instant ramen :sweat:

Higurashi gou ep 15

Spoiler

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

they went HARD. It's WILD seeing entirely new time loops in such short succession. Akasaka, Akane and Kimiyoshi all L5 is nuuuuuuts

angel mort massacre is nuuuuuuuuuuuuts

RIKA HAS ACKNOWLEDGED THAT SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN A FUTURE SETTING, AT ST LUCIA AAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

there's no fuckin' way this doesn't lead into Umineko lore GIMME GIMME GIMME

Spoiler

AKASAKAAAAAAAAA!!!!! YAAAAAA......WTF :eek2:
Wait now it's Mion and Shion's mom???
Fuck they're just busting through most options until it gets down to the last final face off. Holy shit writers.
Holy fucking shit I think that was the hardest episode to watch out of everything......

Promised Neverland S2.2

Spoiler

Soooo humans sacrificed some of their own for a breeding system for a contract. Why does this sound too scary as a possibility for current circumstances?
Dude it would really suck if those Vegetarian Demons took them all that way for it to be a trap.
Ooooooooh joy, that's what that plant did. A meat preservative. I figured it had to be something with all the visual symbolism but added bonus.

• Like 1

Great to have Jujutsu Kaisen back in the rotation after a short beak. Gojou kills me :rotfl:

Back Arrow has still got my attention, I think it's gonna be a fun show. Protect Scard not so much. I'll give it another week but I still find it rather dull. 

• Like 1

Promised Neverland S2E2

I'm still not so hot on the setting change, but there's been some really good character moments so far at least

Emma killing that bird and then using the same thing to preserve the meat that is used on them, brutal

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the setting change, don't want them to go back to the farm right away.

Not to mention 

Spoiler

Now that they know that their farm isn't the only BRAND of farms for human breeding let alone the only farm period. There's a possibility that they might show another farm whether the kids hit one by accident or they purposely go to one to rescue other kids like they mentioned earlier. Might be too soon for that but still possibility. 

Horimiya still totes adorable. I'm with Nelle that I'm loving this stupid funny SoL banter humor.