Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Self isolation, social distancing, sheltering in place, whatever else you call it

11 hours ago, Deszae said:

Yeah, same deal and it blows. Lived in our place for 3 years this year and yet this is the year they hike the rent up from $646 to $700. Still manageable, buuut that's def. the sign for us to move out lol. Had way too rough and experience dealing with that in Nashville. Didn't want to live in this place for more than 3 years anyway. Did they even explain the increase?

The explanation was just renovations and building improvements. I didn't bother asking for specifics.

Rent is quite a bit higher in Canada, at least in Southern Ontario. I can only dream of rent as low as the numbers you and Mera'din mentioned :rotfl: :crying2:

I legit don't know how people can live in Seattle. Shits ridiculously expensive there. :twitch2:

I fucking don't get these fuckers.

Had work earlier today. Father and a daughter are coming through. Daughter is probably in early 30's and father looks like typical trucker/mechanic roughed up look. They each have only a couple things and as I ring up the fathers things first, I noticed a drop of blood on his bag of chips and look for the source and if he's dropped anywhere else. Find that his thumb is dribbling blood down his hand and as I hand him a paper towel I ask if he would like me to get him a bandage........

"Oh that's okay" PULLS DOWN HIS FUCKING MASK AND PROCEEDS TO LICK UP HIS FUCKING BLOODY THUMB "It's just a papercut" and starts using his card on the pinpad device. His daughter yelling at him to put his mask back on and I point out to him that I ask because he's getting blood everywhere. He apologizes but I highly doubt he gave a fuck. I cleaned the pinpad before his daughter was rung up and after they left, I cleaned the fuck out of my checkstand since we were slow. 

Just seriously wtf.......:wall:

Even when there isn't a pandemic that's a stupid thing to do. During on it's just asking for trouble 

holy fucking shit 

I legit felt bad for the daughter. She looked mortified. 

I also saw a friend post that while they were at a WinCo with his partner there was this 1 person just wearing a lace mask. No lining/filters/nada. Just a layer of lace. 

We fucking deserve to stay in phase 1 

That's pretty disgusting.  Please learn how to be a human being in society please.  Thanks.

been feeling increasingly shitty past couple of days and realized it was just over 2 weeks since i'd had a medical appointment where an endlessly coughing woman assured me she had allergies and checked my temp and it was climbing so i imploded and we went and got me a rapid test. It was negative though, so I just have absolute dogshit timing with seasonal crud it seems. I think I aged like 15 years in the time it took us to find a clinic and get it done. I'm so tired of this but I'm so thankful it was negative.

We've had a couple "oh no do we have covid!?" scares now and, yeah, that shit is so tiring and stressful :sick: At least your test came back negative. Get well soon!

yeah we've had a couple times over the past year that we've had vague "uh oh is this it" and lee had to get tested at one point because of his dumbass cousin but this is the only time where the timing and symptoms have really lined up to where it was panic mode. I'm surprised the whole ass planet hasn't gone grey haired from stress

we just got emails, we're on track to get our first round of vaccines through our city on thursday! :mosh:

• Like 4

Last I talked to my mom 

Grandma on mom's side got 1st dose. 

Grandparents on dad's side had appointments

Mom and dad are on wait lists. 

So I can relax....slightly.....

My dad called literally minutes after we saw the email and once I excitedly told him the news his attitude suddenly shifted from what it's been ("welllllllll I just wanna wait and see I don't want to be in the first rounds just to seeeeeeee" type shit) to "oh wow that's great I sure wish I was getting mine that soon" so maybe this will make him seek his way to getting his. He talked about how Alabama as a state is incompetent and is ranked dead last in getting the vaccine distributed, and all that is true but he absolutely qualifies and if he actually starts making inquiries he'll get on track to get his. 

MIL got her second dose last week, grandparents in law will get their 2nd one soon, so I'm basically same boat... a LITTLE bit of relaxation. Just a lil. I ain't gonna unclench until 2nd shots are done and the take hold period has passed, but it's a damn nice sight to glimpse a lil bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 1

The governor lifted the stay at home order that he put in place on the 4th of December, so now restaurants can have outdoor seating again.

Still have no idea when I'm getting my first shot, my mom should have her second in a week or so. She mentioned not feeling too well the day after getting the first, which I think is normal, but she seems fine now.

you might kinda fudge the truth to her about the second one then, it can be rough. Lee's mom felt pretty crappy after shot 2. She bounced back pretty quick but she said it's definitely kinda harsh. She's apparently downplaying the after effects of it to her parents though because they're already anxious about it. Maybe if we put the vaccine in a piece of cheese we can slip it to people like they're pets! "No that's not a needle in the cheese what are you talking about *jab*"

Most of what I've seen from 1st shot reactions has been varying from just a sore arm to flu symptoms to feeling sore in the upper body for like, a day. And then fine. With what few friends I know that have gotten 2nd shot just slightly more heavy on the flu symptoms for a couple days then fine. 

I 2nd Nelle suggesting to down play the harsher feels part just so your mom's not anxious. The only part I'm anxious about other than the fucking needle (personal fear of medical needles) is when the fuck i can get mine since supposedly Grocery store employees are eligible in "spring". Whenever the fuck that will be. 

We majorly lucked out in that our city is fuckin' on the ball with scheduling and outreach for it. Local officials have posted info on stuff like facebook and nextdoor and keep a good eye for topics and answer questions. There's been a couple old people on nextdoor who have posted praising the whole process and how quick and smooth and easy it was and people immediately jump in with HOW DO I GET ONE WHERE DO I GO and bam, there's an official with details. 

Grocery employees should be right after healthcare workers IMO, there's nothing else as essential. Everyone gotta eat. Hopefully it's a Texas spring, considering we had spring weather today, and you'll get yours soon

This is our current phase chart and we're somewhere in between Phase A2 and B1. Idk when B2 kicks in because right now there's not enough places to dole out vaccines as well as apparently according to some news reports not as many of people signing up when they're eligible. (We're about almost sixty percent of doses given out of the Five hundred thousand WA state was given so far). Which fucking A, it's so fucking stupid. And while I shouldn't complain about my spot when those of my circles I know are more eligible than I am with either health or job reasons but are told they're not yet. Which is ALSO stupid. But I really want to stop feeling like I'm a possible death risk to people I care about.

image.thumb.png.e42b1e75766199e3eda5df3f376023db.png

Edit: my boss pointed out that this only effects stores in Seattle and not us, but they're trying. Man she can be a buzzkill at times.

Well in some better news, we get our Hazard Pay back. Dunno how long it'll last but I'll take it for sure. 

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/local/seattle/grocery-store-hazard-pay-vote/281-e3e4d42d-2de3-436c-9e22-a25ca1d83f79

hell yeah, get that bread

hopefully it keeps up because they fucking OWE y'all 

shit's ridiculous

Sadly my store location isn't a Seattle store. So the Hazard pay doesn't come our way. :grumble: which is also stupid if only some Safeway/Albertsons locations are going to get that pay and not everywhere else in the state.  

We had the $2 one in the beginning of last year and then once restrictions were at first getting lifted, they took it away and never gave it back when things got worse again. They've tried giving us other stuff as "thank yous" but fuck gimme dat dough. 

god that is such horseshit

It is. 

Also my boss while I appreciate that she doesn't Bullshit around with words, I hate that still has her dumbass moments. 

My scan manager and I were talking about possible vacations which led to vaccine talk. And my boss was in the room partially in the conversation and she says she won't get the vaccine because she thinks it's too soon and convenient that a vaccine came this quick. (She claims she's not a anti-vaxxer and that understands how they work and the importance to them) but she feels somethings amiss about this vaccine. Especially since 3 people in her family will most likely not be able to take it due to allergic reactions. (She listen them to us but I don't remember them). She also said she'll wear a mask for the rest of her life if she has to but she was firm in not getting the vaccine. :facepalm:

I'm venting here a bit vs Facebook since I do have a handful of co-workers on my FB including here and I don't feel like changing settings for 1 rant post, so I'm sorry for my mini rant here.  

I empathize with people who are hesitant over it because everything is scary and stressful but jesus christ we haven't advanced science the way we have and gotten nothing out of it

• Like 1

Shot #1 done! An hour or so after the fact and I definitely have soreness at the injection site (but really not any different from a normal muscle jab so far) and a smidge of achiness all over, but i dunno how much of that was already there because the weather has my arthritis goin' nuts. I'm one of those people that always seems to get moderate side effects from flu shots for a day or so so I imagine this will be similar. So far Lee is fine! 

• Like 2

I feel bad for our pharmacy. We cashiers are getting asked when we'll be giving out shots through them or when we'll be getting ours as "essential workers" and I can only imagine them getting asked that 10x more than us up front. 

Yeah, I can't really blame anyone for seeking information but at the same time oof for the workers. I seriously cannot believe how coordinated and informative our city has been, we lucked the fuck out. My parents have signed up to be on a list but have no idea when they'll be able to get one, and that seems to be the way it is for a lot of people who qualify for current rounds...just no info. What a mess. 

• Like 1

Whelp. Looks like my area gets to move onto Phase 2 staring next week. Not that surprised since most of the vaccines have been doled out there

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/jay-inslee-covid-19-healthy-washington-reopening-plan/281-2925da90-6444-4f46-bf2b-fffb9dcb20d4

The one thing I've found particularly troubling right now is how they're treating people in a lot of places with medical conditions.  Outside of Texas it seems like most places are doing shitloads of people BEFORE them and it honestly makes no sense.  I was reading this article going yeah, what the fuck?  Because like...over in AZ we're vaccinating police officers and teachers before people with medical conditions and like yeah, those people are important but um...shouldn't people with medical conditions be basically first in line after old people? :eek3:

Part of my annoyance is of course because Jovanna has some medical conditions and I want her to get this damn thing soon.  I just do not understand why our roll out is seemingly so stupid.

• Like 1

Teachers belong in this wave imo. Cops can get fucked. 

There's a looooooooot of fuckery going down with scheduling for this, it's so disheartening. Apparently there was some kerfuffle in the DFW area because a very affluent area was magically having a lot of vaccines doled out.... to the point where our shithead governor was like cut that out or we're taking them back. Then magically we get a call that we're up for one, and since we're in the "medical condition" category it was quite a surprise, we thought our numbers would come up end of Feb or in March. We jumped on it of course, but now that I'm paying more attention to what's been going down it's SUPER suspicious. The setup for it all was like fuckin' clockwork though, so proper work was put into making it run smoothly and efficiently. It's absolutely possible to get this shit going at a good pace but it feels like people are just sitting on their hands and I want to just scream. 

According to my aunt, Alabama has given out about 39% of what it has, and people like her and my parents who are over 65 but under 75 but have medical conditions like heart shit and diabetes are being told basically I dunno lol you'll get it when you get it.

22 hours ago, Anelle said:

Shot #1 done!

That's cool news! How's it feel a day later?

12 minutes ago, little birdy said:

That's cool news! How's it feel a day later?

Arm is still sore but other than a tiny lil bit of red at the injection site no lump or anything, so pretty standard for a muscle jab type shot for me. Better than typical, really, I got sensitive everything so usually I have more reddening at sites. Stomach's a lil torn up and I've got a bit of a headache but so far that's about it. Lee seems to be doing great. 

edit to add that we got the Moderna version for anyone wondering

That doesn't sound too bad then.

I used to hate getting shots, but now I'm two years into allergy immunotherapy (for terrible summertime grass allergies) so I get shots at least monthly, sometimes weekly. Needles don't bug me as much anymore. When I started AIT my arm would swell up pretty big for a few days (it looked ridiculous) and would be so itchy. Now I just get a small lump and mild itchiness for a day or two. The annual flu shot, when I remember to get it, doesn't usually give me side effects.

Yeah, I did the allergy therapy for about 3 years, covid fucked it up and now I gotta find a new place and start again... but I'm well used to injections now! I'd still get some soreness and maybe lil bumps on days where I switched vials or when I slipped a bit with the needle (I administered them myself) but I think worst injection reaction I've had was a flu shot in my teens and even though I tend to be one of those people who get the pseudoflu for a day or two I don't think I've ever had any major swelling or itching. 

Lee says his arm is sore today but just in the normal muscle jab way. So far so good! I'll report in if anything changes, I'm trying to keep myself available as far as questions about it go since we lucked out and got it early. I think me getting it and talking about it has really helped ease my dad's mind about it, so now he's just mad at the government but intends to take his as soon as it's offered when before he was saying he'd rather delay and get in on a later wave because he wasn't sure if he trusted it

11 hours ago, Anelle said:

According to my aunt, Alabama has given out about 39% of what it has, and people like her and my parents who are over 65 but under 75 but have medical conditions like heart shit and diabetes are being told basically I dunno lol you'll get it when you get it.

I don't get this.  They added 65+ to 1B even here so what in the fuck is Alabama doing?  Who is more susceptible than old people???

• Like 1

Apparently just today they put out a notice saying 65+ were being added in to 1b so who in the absolute fuck knows. Alabama is a shitshow.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-30/dodger-stadiums-covid-19-vaccination-site-shutdown-after-dozens-of-protesters-gather-at-entrance

i am going to scream into my own ass so hard it comes back out and cycles back through endlessly until I become a whirling void and the void then goes up these people's asses

Wow :O.O: I get that the anti-vaccine people don't want vaccines for themselves but why try to stop other people from getting them..? I noticed when I moved back to Canada after several years in Asia, we Westerners spend far too much time getting upset over things other people do that aren't really our business. Why can't people just do their thing and let other people do theirs...

And that tidbit about them not wearing Maga hats or carrying flags to "resonate with the sheeple" is full on BULLSHIT. My bet is they did that as a strategic method to throw misinformation aimed at Dems or some other fucking shit. Fuck them all. I'm glad that it reopened shortly later but the fact that they inconvenieced people that way and put them all at risk, FUCK. THEM.

Yeah I saw the headline and my blood pressure shot up and then I read the article and just fuckin' saw red. This is absolute lunacy. 

2 hours ago, little birdy said:

Wow :O.O: I get that the anti-vaccine people don't want vaccines for themselves but why try to stop other people from getting them..? I noticed when I moved back to Canada after several years in Asia, we Westerners spend far too much time getting upset over things other people do that aren't really our business. Why can't people just do their thing and let other people do theirs...

It's all "muh personal freedoms" to not get a vaccine or to not wear masks and "no one can tell me what to do" but then they feel they have the right to control what other people do :bash:  I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

• Like 1

Welp, my week has been shit lol.

Insomnia has left me a restless hollow shell with raging hormones, just found out my mom and dad (technically step dad, but he's more of a father than my sperm donor was) have Covid and are sick at home, and I'm a fuckin dumbass and needs to go back to the hospital tomorrow.

• Sad 1

That fucking sucks. I hope your folks pull through and that all is clear on your hospital visit.

• Like 1

well, shit. I'll second that that fucking sucks. Keep us updated, or have what's his piss do it. You know, that guy we all mutually know. I think his name is Relphh I dunno

• Like 1

I have an emergency visit at the clinic tomorrow. Long story short, what I thought was an reaction to putting liquid bandage on my incision turned out to be a potential lifesaver. This pink-yellowish swelling started two holes along the cut that grew has been leaking naaaasty shit for days. And now I have a large gap on the belly. Apparently the lifting incident I had with the 14 lb ball of fur weeks ago tore a good portion of the stitches open underneath. Minus the pain and the leaking, I don't feel feverish, fatigued, or any other signs of infection and that's good news. But now I'll have to get stitched up again and just set my healing back for weeks. Fuck, and I supposed to go back to work in 12 days.

I'm checking up on ma and pa kins and they seem to be stable. I'm definitely not going to tell them what happened or they will kill me lmao.

Thanks y'all for the well wishes; this whole ordeal has me wrecked.

Take good care of yourself and don't lift anything!

That sounds awful. Glad it wasn't anything worse, though.

oof, that sucks. Like that there doesn't seem to be infection though, that's a relief. 

Well shit.  I'm glad it isn't infected.  Don't lift your fat fuck cat anymore. :love3:

Samesies on what they said. Still sucks to have to go through that. 

I can finally breathe a bit easier. 

Grandma on mom's side is getting her 2nd shot soon

Grandparents on Dad's side got their 1st shot. 

Dad got his a bit ago and I was talking to him about it today with mom still being on a waiting list until about 2 hours ago with her 1st shot done. Dad's waiting for her in the parking lot right now. 

So yay, everyone is on track. Now that just leaves my brother and me....eventually....

• Like 1

Asked my senior manager the other day if he knew of any timetable for us to get it, but he hadn't heard anything. Said something about them switching to an age based system, which on some degree I understand, but we're face to face with people every day, we should be a relatively high priority (outside of health workers and the elderly, of course), so I have no clue when I'll be getting mine. I just want this to be over already, I wonder if I can just schedule an appointment and get one that way.