Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Self isolation, social distancing, sheltering in place, whatever else you call it

10 hours ago, Eizan said:

You still getting that special/bonus whatever for this? 

Kroger basically said well we've given you enough, not more extra pay. No more if you get sick we'll cover you, use your own paid time off/vacations. 

Also @webheadWho is getting to 100K first? Arizona or Georgia? 

if the reports I am getting from my dad and brother down in Georgia are true, then Georgia 100%

7 hours ago, little birdy said:

Masks are still a tough sell for quite a few people up here too. I don't see what the big deal is, but I have also lived in Asia for several years where it is totally normal and common to see people wearing masks everywhere even if there isn't an illness going around. It's not a big deal. But apparently many North Americans don't see it the same way. 

A mix of contrarianism and doing the opposite of what the government says even if they're right mixed with selfishness imo.  It's not actually a hard thing to do at all.

Starting Sunday I get my 10% pay back they they took like 3 months ago, so yay for that. And then they're immediately going to start making us clock out for lunches now which is a loss of about 3.5 hours per pay period (and also completely cock blocks a majority of the overtime we get) which more or less amounts to a 5% cut sooooo we get 5% back? >_>

Interested to see how this goes considering some of our shifts only have 3 people on them at any given time (used to have 5). Because the second I clock out, my radio is off and I don't care if something starts on fire, they can fuck right off until that 30 min. is done. :| 

In the broader scheme of things, we've loosened up a bit. We don't really GO anywhere anyway, but our parents have started visiting again in limited capacity. Minnesota has been... OKAY with everything. We have a decent number of weird jackasses, but nothing as ridiculous as I've seen elsewhere for the most part. No generalized mask requirement yet, but most businesses are having their employees wear them.

dumbass family update: one of my dumbass uncles either has COVID or out of control diabeetus (or both, let's be fair) and everyone's waiting with bated breath for results and having flashbacks to the gathering they just had like a week or so ago and now suddenly they're all super worried about this and I'm just like lol y'all know i'm not coming to any funerals right

fucking shitheads.

i'm mad. lol.

• ROFL 3

"How could we have known??!"

Reminds me of this idiot:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/phoenix-man-has-warning-for-other-young-people-as-he-battles-covid-19

Trying to find this link again and I found an entire page of search results of the same thing basically from different people.  All you can say is like... No shit.  Everyone fucking told you to take this seriously lol.

It's just... infuriating. Part of it is just fuckin' hubris because the first time they did a family gathering during this and I lost my shit at my parents they were so so so fucking sheepish. They knew it was dumb but hey, it won't happen to us! Idiots. 

Our Gov. announced yesterday that the Mask Requirement has now extended to businesses (which should go without saying BUT you know idjits have to have it spelled out) So that they can turn you away and legally not service you without a mask on. Taking affect Tues......this....will probably not effect anything at work but it will be interesting to see how it's enforced.

Couldn't they do that before if they wanted to?  I'm confused.

They could (i am pretty sure all businesses have a right to refuse service to anyone as long as it doesn't violate any discrimination laws) but without that order you know people gonna sue for discrimination.

• Like 1

This. We've already seen a lot of it over social media of how all the Karens and Chads are screaming about "MAH RIGHTS". And because our numbers have gone up again so Inslee is trying to do what he can to prevent us from reversing back to Phase 1 lockdown.

https://medium.com/wagovernor/inslee-extends-face-covering-requirement-for-businesses-statewide-and-halts-county-advancements-1a404f3f4a5f

So really it's just to shut people up so businesses can just point to the order.  Fair enough.  People are being completely unreasonable assholes about this entire thing...because somehow wearing a fucking mask is political now too. :rip:

• Like 1

the only time I take my mask off at work is when there is no one else in the building or if the fucking AC broke again and it's 90 degrees and humid AF in the building (impossible to breath in mask in those conditions)

9 hours ago, webhead said:

So really it's just to shut people up so businesses can just point to the order.  Fair enough.  People are being completely unreasonable assholes about this entire thing...because somehow wearing a fucking mask is political now too. :rip:

I like this short and sweet take on it: A mask is not a political statement; it's an IQ test. 

• Like 2

0077a71bas851.thumb.jpg.5bfb03fd4bf6bf22dd8fa6e18daffeb4.jpg

• ROFL 2

Whelp my aunt tested positive and is now in intensive care hooked up to respirator.

well that fucking sucks.

Yup, it does. Especially since she lives in Georgia where as whole the state has given up on trying to prevent the spread. 

Oh, and I had a confirmed case pop up in my building today. Yaaaaaaaay.... 

Fucking morons. 

Shit Galeigh, I seriously hope your aunt pulls through. This is getting so ridiculous.

I will say that at least whenever I'm at work and I either have to get a mask for a customer or remind them to put it on properly (fucking chin guard idjits) that I have yet to have any Karen/ Chad moments. I think worst case was one guy just simply walked out the store without saying a word when I had to gently insist. And even then I only have 1 or 2 people come in without a mask probably every couple of days.

I work at a daycare. It was a caregiver that tested positive. Not entirely her fault though, she got it from a dumbass relative who came to visit her. 

got a call today, it's only a matter of time now. we're just bracing for the moment.

• Sad 1

That's awful KK, i'm so sorry.

Fuck dude that is completely terrible.  I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

thnx, I am still processing and hoping for a change in status. I used to spend a lot of time at her house as a kid. Not just me either, a lot of my cousins did too, as she was the one aunt who wasn't super busy or a crack head.

well, FUCK. I'm so sorry, dude.

Fuuuuuuuuck I'm so sorry

I'm so very sorry, KK.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Condolences my friend.  I don't know that to say except I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

That's a bummer, sorry to hear it. Was she on a ventilator for the last few days?

Did they try anything else after that? I've read a bit about ECMO, sounds like it helps in at least some critical cases. I'm not sure how widely available that treatment is though. 

Her liver failed, they were able to do dialysis, but then her blood pressure tanked and they couldn't get it back up and that was the end. 

Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear that, KK. :( It's not fair.

Massive condolences to you and all your family, it sounds like she was a really important person in your lives.

I'm getting pretty paranoid about COVID-19 again these days. I guess it's a combination of my daughter going back to school next week, going out to more places over the last few weeks, and the rising case numbers in the news :nailbiting: Every little thing - an ache, a random sneeze, whatever - now tends to send my imagination running wild thinking about how I've got the virus and my impending doom :rip: Thankfully my wife is pretty good at talking me back down to Earth :lolgrin:

• Like 1

So your schools are actually physically going back? Most of ours are doing online still. (At least the ones that aren't closed from the fires......)

It depends from province to province, and even school board to school board within the province. In our case, the school board gave families the option to opt out of in-person schooling in favour of learning online. I think the opt out was for the first semester, and then you'd get the chance to change your mind. Despite concerns, we ultimately think it's best for our daughter to be back in school. Being at home all this time hasn't been good for her. And it really isn't feasible for us to keep her at home anyhow. School is starting a week later to give teachers extra prep time, so they're back next week. One week of staggered start with the students split into two groups coming in on alternate days, and then the following week they're all back 5 days a week (if an outbreak doesn't shut it all down before that :fup:)

• Like 1

Ours are optional. Can choose to go back or choose to do distance learning on a quarter to quarter basis. 50% classroom capacity, masks required, etc. They're bringing all the subs in full time and hiring extra teachers on top of that. We're sending the two in high school back because they were absolutely terrible with the distance learning and keeping the 2nd grader home because elementary schools are going to be like hearding cats with the mask stuff and everything I imagine and he did great with the at home stuff.

Only thing I don't like is they're using an external service for the at home stuff now and it doesn't necessarily teach what the school is teaching which seems annoying but shouldn't be a big deal for 2nd grade anyway so it'll be fine I guess. Would have been weird for the older kids though I think.

• Like 1

I say this with purest sincerity that I hope your kids stay safe. I legit wish there was a better plan for both parents and teachers could feel satisfactory in.
Highschoolers are at least better aware of social distancing (whether they choose to follow through or not based on their personalities that I'm seeing with some of my baggers at work. ) vs kids under middle school (which I second Mera's comment of herding cats)
From most of my coworkers with kids it sounds like most of them have their kids doing online. On e did t e ll m e about the alternating days plan like yours Birdy but I think it got changed afterwards. I also found out from a regular customer who is a bus driver that one of the school districts in my are a are trying to basically terminate all the bus drivers under them flat out. :mad: Like no furlough or anything just, "okay since we won't need you with us going online and all right now kthnxbye " BS. They are in negotiations from what I was told from said customer so I hope they win that case.

1 hour ago, Tassifox said:

I say this with purest sincerity that I hope your kids stay safe. I legit wish there was a better plan for both parents and teachers could f e e l satisfactory in.

It's tough. They can only do so much. The government is pumping more money into education, but the isn't a limitless supply of cash. And so many schools are old and at capacity as it is. Can't make the schools bigger and more spacious overnight. My daughter is in grade 5 this year and follows instruction well, so I'm not worried about her ability to follow all the safety rules. But I am hoping that lots of other families at our school have chosen to opt out. The fewer kids in my daughter's class, the better! :lol: 

• Like 1

Yeah, same. I have what will be a 15 and 16 year old and they both are pretty big on keeping people out of their 'bubble' even before the virus so I'm not too worried about them overall. Still hoping a decent amount of people just aren't there though. XD

Luckily we just built a new elementary school and the high school was expanded not terribly long ago so we have a decent amount of room to work with.

Distance leading is tough for my daughter in first grade, she gets sooooo bored and just walks away from the computer. She drives my wife crazy talking to her all day because they are in the same room. My wife worked from home normally before and wants her empty house back. I don't blame her. 

• Like 1

My mom has told me that our neighbor who has known me growing up since I was like 8 has been letting her daughter have friends from the neighborhood come pretty much like a rotating door in and out of the house and sleepovers, even though her elderly mom lives with them. And neighbor is semi alternate healing options. Not essential oils bad, but....ya. And she wonders how they've already been so sick that isn't covid.  :facepalm:

Then I see families more and more shopping at work vs where in the beginning it was 1 or two parents only and bring kids only if you had no choice and the occasional dumbfuck parents that bring like 4 or so kids. And I can see where some are letting their kids come shop with them.....

The California Wildfires have made up here smokey as shit, to the point where they've considered cancelling schools and they advise everyone to wear masks when going outside and it lol'ed me because that's just normal 2020 news at this point, didn't even have to bring the wildfires into it

I also saw the video of the firenado from a couple of days ago. Still smokey here but at least one of the main free ways that was near a hot spot is open again.

Time to move east, west coasters

Fuck no, Unless Iet a private island just past the east coast. Nope.

Legit would miss the rain, greenery, and people actually having manners in public

33 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

people actually having manners in public

:frystare:

• ROFL 3