Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nairn Smoith

Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]

I tell you what, when the books are all finished and released, I really can't wait for Game of Thrones: Brotherhood to be announced.

• ROFL 1

Are they ever going to be finished and released though?

I feel like the dude just ran out of ideas and let HBO finish the story for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webhead said:

I mean do you want massive spoilers?  Lol.  I think the short sweet thing I said probably about sums it up.  If you want the spoilers version, well, open our spoiler tags. :rotfl:

I'm never going to watch it, so I don't give a shit about spoilers. I was opening tags before I asked and couldn't get an idea as to what exactly happened. Thanks Anelle for helping me out though!

4 hours ago, Stinkfist said:

Are they ever going to be finished and released though?

I feel like the dude just ran out of ideas and let HBO finish the story for him.

THIS.

I've been following this damned show since it just started. BEFORE ALL THE HYPE.

Then there was hype.

Then I watched it slowly devolve.

Then I thought,  "Hey, I could probably write a better script"

Why??

Spoiler

How in the actual hell does one go back to fighting politics after basically witnessing the end of the world? -__________-

Storyline is RUSHED.

Arya has been my favourite character since episode 1 because she was such a tomboy, but even for her, the shadowfax cameo was like a slap in the face... But the punch in the face is that Jamie had the most character development in the series and they threw it away in 1 episode.

Euron greatly annoyed me. May he rest in pieces.

-________-'

End of It All

Spoiler

lol

Jon finally pet Ghost again! Good boy, Ghost. 

• Like 2

Yeah - can't say it better than Anelle already did

Spoiler

also: Sansa, Queen of Scots! :lol:

Spoiler

I loved it. The 8th season needed 4 additional episodes to slow down and let the story breathe, but it I love that the Stark children won this thing.

• Like 2

Spoiler

TBH I'm kind of just glad Jon Snow didn't wind up king of anything. He will clearly be happier & far more competent as a romantic Wildling freedom fighter in the Northlands. 

Bran is going to be a terrible king IMO... knowledge and creepy utter lack of charisma isn't noted for producing successful monarchs. But then Sansa was too partisan for the North to be chosen; Yara, basically a pirate queen, not a land ruler; Arya, Sam, Brienne, all obviously have the wrong personalities for it in different ways, though maybe Brienne could have stepped into the role & become good at it. Tyrion has the chops but not the reputation he'd need. Davos could probably do it but lacks the blood. Not a lot of good choices there unless you wanted to say f*&^ it and let the Dornish just take over the whole thing...

Spoiler

Tyrion is ruling, it's fine

• Like 2

Spoiler

Honestly none of them are really fit to rule for one reason or another. But Tyrion gave the most logical offer, and Bran is pretty much the most neutral of choices since his brain is wired as the 3 Eyed Raven and not bound by emotional flaws of humanity that other rulers have brought them to their fallen.  I was legit hoping that with the throne melted down it would encourage them to have a council for ruling vs 1 person.

Was I the only one who couldn't remember half of the other lords there?
Disappointed that Cersei didn't die more painfully and with more begging buuuuuuuut I'll take it.
GHOST GHOST GHOST!
YES DANY IS FINALLY DEAD!
YAY THRONE IS MELTED!
I am glad it kind of came full circle of, it started with Starks. It will end with Starks.
Tyrion having to now deal with everyone else. Glorious.

First half of the episode was extremely satisfying, especially Jon finally icing Dany YOSHHHH

Second half was functional but a bit nerdy. Bran's not a good choice for a king the same way Tyrion isn't, doesn't have the suitable image for it, but the politics mostly worked (and I think the unspoken counter-move where putting Bran on the throne shuts down any of Sansa's future plays for it, with the only move she was left with was independence. She got to be the ruler she's always wanted to be, but not at the expense of more wars causing more deaths).

In my own headcanon, Ser Draggy the Dragonator didn't fly Dany's body east but far North, where she'll sleep for centuries and emerge as the Night Queen to plague Westoros with White Walkers once again at the behest of what I assume is some unnamed Lord of Ice that stands in opposition to the Lord of Fire.

• Like 2
  • ROFL 1

Spoiler

I liked it.  I felt everything just made sense.  Bran is creepy and very uncharismatic but I feel like he's the safest choice and the dude basically knows everything.  He has Tyrion as his hand because that guy is fucking clever as shit and he knows it.  That was obviously a very smart choice.

Glad Jon killed Dany.  She went fucking crazy and was basically planning a path of terror through the rest of the world. :uhoh:

Glad Jon didn't become king because he didn't want to be (even though he probably would have been a good one it just couldn't happen).

I'm glad they did decide upon a council essentially to vote on King.  I'm glad they didn't go cringey as fuck and decide to create Democracy as Sam had suggested because that would have made no sense. :rotfl:

All in all I liked it but nothing really felt particularly shocking or surprising.  That's probably the only real complaint but then, I don't like shocking things just for the shock value especially when it's a series finale lol.  Everyone doing what they did made sense to me.

Spoiler

Why would you want a shock for a finale? 

Spoiler

I actually don't.  I meant that was all anyone could really complain about, not that I personally wanted it.  I hate "OMG SO SHOCKING" stuff and definitely not in a finale. :rotfl:

I was legit expecting a Sopranos, Jon Snow sits on the Iron Throne and then you see his POV and then suddenly his head falls off or you hear him getting stabbed or something and then the screen goes to black and you're left to wonder who killed him and became the King and then Peter Dinklage would tweet "If you were expecting happy endings herp derp" again while the showrunners wondered why no one thought their artistic brilliance made for a good ending

• Like 1

Spoiler

For what it's worth, I know I'm being flippant about this but I still enjoyed it. There were a loooooooot of issues this season with the writing but I'm still relatively pleased. I got an ending, and that's what I wanted. At some point I might write up a more in depth discussion post

Now to wait 40 years and hope the books finish too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeJaPon said:

Hide contents

I was legit expecting a Sopranos, Jon Snow sits on the Iron Throne and then you see his POV and then suddenly his head falls off or you hear him getting stabbed or something and then the screen goes to black and you're left to wonder who killed him and became the King and then Peter Dinklage would tweet "If you were expecting happy endings herp derp" again while the showrunners wondered why no one thought their artistic brilliance made for a good ending

Spoiler

Yeah I half expected something like that too lol.

Spoiler

Drogon nudging his dead mother got me. Bambi. Littlefoot. Simba. Drogon.  Gets me everytime.

• Like 1

Agreed there Xy ^

One thing that one of my friends was hoping for

Spoiler

Was for Jon to get killed by Greyworm/Unsullied in Dany's name without her knowing. Because he was a threat to her claim to the throne. Then Ayra using her One Gods face ability to take on Jon's face and kill Dany. Because what the fuck was the point of her learning all that training way back to only use it ONCE and then just be on the sidelines more or less after her win at the Battle of Winterfell?

Also did anyone else think that when Clegane kicked off the Mountain's helm in the previous episode that he looked a lot like a zombie Varys a little?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tassifox said:

Hide contents

Also did anyone else think that when Clegane kicked off the Mountain's helm in the previous episode that he looked a lot like a zombie Varys a little?

Yup

• Like 1

@Mogwai posted this on FB and I lol'd

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.98c234854594142b204ae5d81c4c254d.png

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1

Massive spoilers in the video.  He brings up a lot of good points.

Now that I've had time to sort of sit on this for a week or so and think it over here are my thoughts:

- I liked it overall. Some people I liked lived so it was more than I was expecting for all these years. XD

- Between Tormund's giant story and Robin Arryn's ugly duckling puberty swing, this season was some kind of secret pro-breastfeeding propaganda. :rotfl: 

- Writing was really lacking for a lot of this season and that passage of time shit plagued basically every fucking episode pretty hard. At least this last one had Tyrion and Jon beard growth to give some frame of reference though I guess?
- Seems likely Drogon was taking her body to Old Valyria. Place is fucking scary. Even Balerion the Black Dread barely survived a trip there back in the day. Maybe she'll turn into a fire zombie or some shit? :uhoh:
- Fucking Bran man. Cocky fuck. "Why do you think I came all this way?" Dude was just waiting for it. :rotfl: 
- Only thing that legit bothered me in the episode: Sansa walking off with the North with barely a word said. I don't have issue with her wanting to. It's what she's wanted for a while, but the fact that NOBODY said a damn thing is kind of suspect. The Greyjoy's have legit been trying to "liberate" the Iron Islands for fucking CENTURIES and Yara was kind of on the fence about all this shit to begin with since she was loyal to Dany and even she doesn't say a peep? Can buy some of the others not caring, but there should have been some sort of desent. Instead Sansa rolls on back to the North to be a Queen, laughing in Martell the whole way there. I'm not saying it shouldn't have still ended up that way anyway, but with all the history the 7 Kingdoms is built on, this basically just boils down shitty and/or rushed writing AGAIN.

- Overall this season definitely needed at LEAST 2 more episodes to let shit settle a bit. Dany's final decent into madness among other things needed time for them to have a meaningful impact.

- LOVED the small council meeting near the end. Fucking Bronn. :rotfl:

- Probably other stuff I'm not thinking of right now because it's 4am and I decided to write this out of nowhere.

Side note since I saw it mentioned above: The people at the council where Bran was picked were as follows (just listing them all because it's easier for me to remember that way though some of them are obvious. A few, as far as I know, are never named (or shown) in the series before so you wouldn't have remembered them) :
Sam Tarley, Unnamed dude, Edmure Tully (Uncle of the Stark kids on their mother's side), the 3 Starks, Brienne Tarth, Davos Seaworth, Gendry Barathion, unnamed Stormland Lord, unnamed Northern Lord, Yara Greyjoy, unnamed Martell Prince, Robin Arryn, Yohn Royce, and last guy is also unnamed.  Council was fairly legit. All of the (remaining) Great Houses were represented (Stark, Lannister, Arryn, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Martell, Tully). Only ones missing were Frey and Tyrell (for obvious reasons). Not sure that Frey will be replaced, and Bronn hadn't been given High Garden yet so all the major regions of Westeros were represented and then some. Unnamed dudes were probably pretty unnecessary.