Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Playstation General

Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. The game suspending thing doesn't work when you fully power it off. I know it happened for 2 different streamers specifically with the Spider-man remaster. Hadn't heard about it happening with anything else yet. The one thought it had something to do with him using an external drive initially, but ended up finding out that wasn't the case after some testing and talking with Sony.

Not hooking my drive from my PS4 up to it yet anyway just to be safe. >_>

I got a bit curious about PS5 for a minute but the price tag reminded me why I'm not at all interested :rotfl: (Not that I'd be able to find one anywhere anyways...) But then I had a look at the games available e.g. at Best Buy and a couple other places, and the list is pretty unimpressive. I think there are only 7 titles in stock at my local Best Buy. Are there better games available via the PS Store? What are you guys even playing on your PS5's ?

Honestly, the games were nearly as scarce as the system where I am. XD

Went to 2 different stores (Best Buy and Walmart) and found a combined total of 3 games available for sale.

I grabbed 'Spider-man: Miles Morales' personally and it's the game I wanted most, though was considering a couple others. I've never played Demon's Souls, Blood Borne or any of the Dark Souls games so was tempted to give the Demon's Souls remake a shot but still not sure if I want to bite that particular bullet. Was also considering Assassin's Creed: Valhalla but I absolutely refuse to give Ubisoft money, so if I decided to get it at some point it will be used. I've also been going back and forth on Godfall. It seems visually impressive but I don't know that I'm feeling the combat and Gearbox is kind of shady  quality-wise outside of the Borderlands games, and will ultimately probably just wait for Outriders in February since that one looks a lot more impressive.

It's nice that I can just switch my external harddrive from my PS4 to my PS5 at will too and play all of my PS4 games on it with some slight improvements.

I might plug in a hard drive at some point for ps4 games too.  We'll see.  I got demon's souls and Spider-Man.  Spidey is probably the big one everyone is playing.  The backwards compatibility is what made day 1 easier for me.  I can still play the ps4 games I haven't finished but with better performance potentially and a controller with better battery life I think?  Seems like a win.

Battery life seems pretty solid so far. I only got to play the day I got it (have been working every day since), but I had the controller on from the point I turned it on until about 1 or 2 in the morning and I don't think I got a low battery alert until near the end of that stretch so a good 12 hours minimum I think (though wasn't playing stuff the WHOLE time), and if it's anything like the PS4 controller battery alert, that means it would probably go for another hour or two at least before ACTUALLY dying. XD

Finally got power back this morning, so I was finally able to hook up my PS5. :P Played a little Astro's Playroom. I like it. :)

Thinking I'll pick up Demon's Souls at some point. and went through the PS+ Collection to add whatever games I didn't already own to my Library. :thumbs: 

I had troubles getting the disc version of Miles Morales to install. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it multiple times, cleaned the disc just in case, and even did a full system reset on my PS5 and still nothing. I eventually caved and bought it digitally, and am going to have to ship the disc back to Amazon.

On a happier note, I did play a little of Astro and that game is pretty damn charming.

Was playing Spider-man and ran across a side quest that literally amounted to finding this. I can only imagine the triggering that's going to happen considering how some people reacted to Kamala in Avengers. :rotfl: 

Spoiler

8e2Znz9.jpg

Found a feature that is kind of a space hog if you aren't aware of it and is on by default. Whenever you pop a trophy in a game, it takes a screenshot just like on the PS4, but on the PS5 it ALSO takes a 14 sec. video of the time leading up to the trophy being awarded. This doesn't seem like much, but media can only be saved to the SSD even if you have an external drive hooked up, and considering that space is a premium commodity, I would recommend turning it off. It adds up fast.

JUST from Spider-man trophies I've got so far, it had already eaten up almost 2gigs of space. It's a neat idea, but poorly implemented I think as you can't relegate them to an external drive, and the only customization to it is the length of the video. Wouldn't be so bad if you could designate trophy rarity for it or something at least. 

9 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Found a feature that is kind of a space hog if you aren't aware of it and is on by default. Whenever you pop a trophy in a game, it takes a screenshot just like on the PS4, but on the PS5 it ALSO takes a 14 sec. video of the time leading up to the trophy being awarded. This doesn't seem like much, but media can only be saved to the SSD even if you have an external drive hooked up, and considering that space is a premium commodity, I would recommend turning it off. It adds up fast.

JUST from Spider-man trophies I've got so far, it had already eaten up almost 2gigs of space. It's a neat idea, but poorly implemented I think as you can't relegate them to an external drive, and the only customization to it is the length of the video. Wouldn't be so bad if you could designate trophy rarity for it or something at least. 

It also records your voice if you haven't muted the mic on your controller! :rotfl:

Some dude posted his trophy get from Demons Souls where he's just screaming in the background on Reddit.  I lol'd.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/k1ebkr/first_time_souls_player_i_didnt_realise_that_the/

It took me a while before I realized the thing had a built in mic. All the stuff I read about it was purely about the haptic feedback and "3D" rumble stuff. Was examining it a few days ago and noticed the button and hit it and when it did a mic mute thing was like WUT. O_o 

Didn't realize it legit recorded for that stuff though. Jesus I can only imagine the hilarity that has already spawned from that, though the example you gave is starting it off strong. :rotfl: 

Probs worth it to keep the mic on for Soulslikes.

My reaction to beating something in Dark Souls was usually "SHIT YEAHHHHH SUCK MY DICK" and then I'd throw up the middle finger at the screen so it wouldn't even be capturing half of it

I'm honestly surprised they got that for it and not just the original version. The PS5 version doesn't even come out until February. I was planning on buying it again too, so I guess I lucked out. XD

Sony did what Nintendo's been doing for a while and provided an "end of year wrap up" for everyone. Here's mine.

Basically, I played 25 games, with Rock Band 4, Spelunky 2, and Last of Us Part II being the top three, in order. My top genre is action adventure. I played about 432 hours, with 10 of those being online, with a total of 119 days, mostly on Sunday. I earned 62 trophies: 2 gold, 10 silver, 50 bronze. On PS5, I've played a whopping 3 hours, with 2 of those being just in Miles Morales, gaining a whopping 30 PS5 trophies. I only downloaded 3 PS+ games, and the game I played the most online is Overwatch, with 8 hours.

11 hours ago, MT said:

Sony did what Nintendo's been doing for a while and provided an "end of year wrap up" for everyone. Here's mine.

They've done it before, just not consistently. I have one from 2018, but remember trying to find it after 2019 was done and not being able to.

My stats:

27 games

1906 hours (Destiny 2 cut into this since I put in like 500 hours on PC for that. Think my 2018 total was like 2300 hours. XD ) 1725 locally, 181 online.

Top 3 being Avengers, Persona 5 Royal and Destiny 2 (somehow managed almost 200 hours even though I feel like I barely touched the console version).

296 days played out of the year.

542 trophies earned (11 platinum).

There's a separate section for PS5. Not sure if that's part of the total from the top or not though.

Put a lot more time in on PC in 2020 than I had in previous years so my numbers were lower than I would have expected. XD

10 Games

560 Hours

Top 3: 

Persona 5 Royal

Trials of Cold Steel IV

Last of Us 2

102 Days

162 Trophies

I didn't use my PS4 a whole lot last year. 

I solid my Vita and PS TV ( :salute: ) well over a year ago so my wrap-up would be a big zero :rotfl: 

Gonna go look at my Switch year in review now though... (if I can find it / if it's still there)

March PS+ Games

:ps4: Final Fantasy VII Remake

:ps4: Farpoint (VR game)

:ps4: Remnant: From The Ashes

:ps5: Maquette

Of note here...apparently the FF7 that you get does not upgrade to the PS5 version.  Kind of a dick move but that's okay because I'm not planning to BUY anything until they put out all the parts anyway.

Rumor is they're going to be shutting down the stores for the PSP, Vita and PS3 in the near future. :uhoh: 

12 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Rumor is they're going to be shutting down the stores for the PSP, Vita and PS3 in the near future. :uhoh: 

I assume you would still be able to download stuff as long as you bought it? Because I uhh might need to get another Vita/PS TV and put all my PS1 stuff on it. 

I remember stuff being taken down before, but were still downloadable from the download list. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting another Vita recently, but the asking prices are getting pretty stupid. PSTV especially. 

5 hours ago, Eizan said:

I assume you would still be able to download stuff as long as you bought it? Because I uhh might need to get another Vita/PS TV and put all my PS1 stuff on it. 

I remember stuff being taken down before, but were still downloadable from the download list. 

Hard to say if the store is just gone. Though maybe can still pull stuff out of the "list" of purchases/licenses or whatever? Not sure. Sony themselves haven't said anything yet so this is still rumor/"insider info" territory yet. I certainly hope that's the case though. I specifically kept my PS3 around for stuff like this. As nice as backwards compatibility is, I don't feel it's intrinsically necessary but if they cut off ways to retain digital content, that turns into a completely different matter.

Especially as games are less and less "complete" even on physical media. Are we going to eventually hit a point where you can't download patches/updates for the game too and you're stuck with a potentially broken/inferior version of the game?  Shit like this is why emulation and ROMs are so important.

Edit: Holy shit, what is with the PSTV prices? You weren't kidding @little birdy Fucking nobody wanted those things when they were readily available. I bought mine for under $50 (was even the bundle that came with a DS3 and a game) at Best Buy when they were trying to get rid of them just to play Persona 4 Golden. :rotfl: 

Actually I might be better off buying a PS3 to redownload everything to. Including some PS2 downloads. 

• Like 1

Most of these I knew, but there were a few that I didn't

Yeah, some of that was obvious or things the PS3 and/or 4 did as well, but some of it was news to me and good to know. The manual disk eject thing especially is cool to have just in case. I remember when my original PS3 died and it still had a disk in. I basically had to completely dismantle the thing to get it back. X_x

17 hours ago, Eizan said:

At the moment that's how it works. There's a small market for people sharing, trading or buying accounts that have delisted games attached to them like Marvel vs Capcom Origins and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

17 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Edit: Holy shit, what is with the PSTV prices? You weren't kidding @little birdy Fucking nobody wanted those things when they were readily available. I bought mine for under $50 (was even the bundle that came with a DS3 and a game) at Best Buy when they were trying to get rid of them just to play Persona 4 Golden. :rotfl: 

Yeah I bought my PSTV for $60 CAD about 4 years ago. The seller was actually a writer/reviewer for The Vita Lounge. He probably got it during the PSTV fire sale when stores were liquidating them, so he gave me a reasonable price. When I sold my Vita gear a couple years ago, prices were starting to creep up a bit but I still sold it for $60. I don't think it would have been too hard to get $100+ for it. Now the ads I see online are asking $200-250 :rotfl: I guess people just assume they're more valuable because they're not made anymore..? I'm sure there's some room to haggle, those are just asking prices, but I wouldn't even bother trying to bargain with somebody asking $200+ for a PSTV.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:33 PM, MT said:

Most of these I knew, but there were a few that I didn't

Cool video.  Definitely didn't know a few of those.  Didn't care about others (like who the fuck cares about other controllers lol).  But yeah good stuff. :thumbs: 

It's official. They clarified that you can in fact still download previously purchased games and content and any ps+ games you had (as long as you retain the service).

20210329_174356.jpg

• Sad 1

One thing I learned that's pretty fucked up about this online store closure thing just recently:

There were a number of developers still making stuff for the Vita that were given no notice of this. They learned about it via the rumor from last week and now have to decide whether to cancel projects or haul ass to get their game out before the store goes down on that platform in August, which is extra fucked up since it seems like Vita caters more to smaller devs at this point. Sony really dropped the fucking ball on this.

• Like 1

Rate my haul

- Killer Is Dead

- Gunstar Heroes

- Crazy Taxi

- Comix Zone

- Tales of Graces f

- Tales of Xillia

- Tales of Xillia 2

- Tales of Symphonia + ToS: Dawn of the New World

- Tales of Vesperia Defintitive (acks a PS4 game)

- NASCAR Heat 3 (also a PS4 game)

Our province closed a loophole that Microsoft and Sony were exploiting (didn't have to pay any sales tax on digital sales), so I raided PSN a lot earlier than I wanted to mostly finish off my PS3 collection before that deadline. I still have some strays that are either physical-only or still cheap physically, and the maybe-pile for digital-onlies that are hard to justify but I kinda want'em anyways.

Thanks Sony, RIP my wallet :crying2:

(Acks kinda nice because I probs never would've gotten around to buying most of that stuff otherwise)

Sony playing that FOMO game. :rotfl:

Probably more likely that the instant and very verbal sentiment from a lot of people was "lol okay. Gonna pirate a bunch of this shit since you refuse to sell it to us." and they decided they like money after all.

They're really screwing themselves this generation. Kind of wonder how things will play out in the long run because xbox has been on a roll recently and Sony seems to be trying to rest on laurels they may or may not actually have. 

Also, MLB: The Show '21 being put onto Game Pass day 1 practically behind their backs is an absolute alpha dick move. XD

1 hour ago, Mera'din said:

Also, MLB: The Show '21 being put onto Game Pass day 1 practically behind their backs is an absolute alpha dick move. XD

From what I understand, that was an MLB decision.

I know. That's why I said "practically behind their backs". This has technically been in the works for a while as apparently part of their renegotiated licensing agreement included MLB's ability to take the game to whatever platform they wanted, but the fact that it was dropped out of nowhere less than 3 weeks from the games release was amusing to watch on twitter. Especially since the game will be a day 1 drop on Game Pass vs. Playstation owners having to pay $70 for it (because of course it's one of the games upped the price on). The series has been a Sony exclusive for like 2 decades, and has been the sole MLB game series available for like 7 years. Sony can't be happy with the situation.

It makes sense why Sony would be unhappy over this, but it's great news for fans of baseball games. It's nice to have some choice and it sucked that The Show was a Sony exclusive for so long. Realistically, I don't think this is that big of a deal because I don't think The Show is going to move a lot of consoles for either company, baseball just doesn't seem as popular as other sports.

16 hours ago, Mera'din said:

They're really screwing themselves this generation. Kind of wonder how things will play out in the long run because xbox has been on a roll recently and Sony seems to be trying to rest on laurels they may or may not actually have.

TBH I'd actually spin it that they hindsight screwed themselves in the PS3 generation. The Cell Processor being such a bitch to do backwards compat with whereas Microsoft's had a much more uniform hardware development style throughout their console life laid the groundwork for Microsoft skating out of this looking good no matter what. You can almost guarantee Sony at some point was hoping to utilize PS3 port or remake collections to make extra money (TLOU1 remake, wtf?) and then Microsoft dragged them kicking and screaming into a pro-consumer thing instead.

They turned that around in the long run though. PS3 started out practically a meme between the price point and Ken Kutaragi's undefendable bullshit among various other things but once they sorted their shit out, the cleaned the thing up pretty well and it eventually overtook the 360 by the end of that generation. There isn't much they could do at that point with how it was designed and that is clearly still biting them in the ass, but them seemingly trying to rest on their laurels isn't helping. If they wanted to sort out backwards compatibility, they could (and would have little issue in terms of the PS1/2 as an opening volley).  But Jim Ryan ABSOLUTELY refuses to consider it and he needs to get fucked.

Microsoft getting Phil Spencer was the best thing that ever happened to them, where as Jim Ryan is basically Sony's version of Don Mattrick. :sick:

• Like 1

Might have to get this one. I remember the reveal looking cool, but with no real gameplay showing I was waiting to see more. Looks like it could be pretty fun.

I saw a short trailer for that, First Person Onmyoji! :lol: It does look really good, I might have to check it out; probably won't on-release because I have another open world game I've spent money on/ will be busy with for a while coming out like. In 2 weeks, but this looks like something I'd like to try!