Strawholes  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How many holes does a straw have?

• Two
    • One
    • None

Well?

A straw has two ends but I'm not sure it has any holes

What's on those ends though, do those count as holes? 

I say it has no holes.  It has openings.  It's a tunnel.  A hole goes through something solid whereas a straw is build specifically to carry something through it.

Really depends on your definition of what a hole is. :P

Cover over one of the ends of a straw and then poke a hole in the tube.

Two holes or one?

One.  There's a hole in the blocked tunnel. :O

A tunnel isn't a tunnel without a hole at both ends

Openings. :x

Not strictly no.  I would also accept it is an infinite number of holes. :hop:

Well the implies that a hole is two-dimensional.  Holes are, by nature, three-dimensional.  So an opening has to be a hole unless you're differentiating by size or depth.

But I think you'll find that an opening is nothing more than a square to the hole's rectangle.

A hole doesn't require an exit but can have one, so the answer is 1 as there aren't multiple "tunnels" only a single tunnel with 2 exits meaning 1 hole. It's called a through hole.

It's definitely not 2.  I could be persuaded that it's 1.  I lean towards zero tho.

Bruh, it's literally a through hole. Like a donut. 

Yeah like I said zero possibly 1.  Not 2 though.

there is zero chance that it's zero holes -.-

Edit: Aight, I am gonna dial back the frustration here and explain. I am looking at the from the perspective of 3d modeling and as a result there is only one hole, but the possibility of 0 doesn't exist, 2 is ARGUABLE, but still most likely wrong as the straw itself is a solid mass other than the through hole. if I were to model this in a 3d program there would ONLY be 1 hole, no more, no less.

You define hole differently.  A tunnel isn't a solid mass with a hole through it.  A tunnel is a tunnel.  Lol.

New perspective: the term, “hole,” implies that something is missing. (Hole in my heart. Etc.) since removing the openings of the straw would make it not a straw, the straw must be dependent on the openings, meaning nothing in a straw is missing, meaning there are no holes.

Really just depends on how you define what a hole is. :X

If it was /thread we wouldn't still be arguing. :D

:hammerputer:

• Like 1

This question got me thinking...

What if you got some water icing and "glued" a whole (hole, lol) load of donuts together to make a sort of tower/tunnel? A donut straw? How many holes would that have? :thinking:

• Shiny 1
  • ROFL 2

That comment now makes me think of Daniel Glover's bit in Knives Out where he's comparing the murder to donut holes and holes in donuts.........See what you all started now!?

Does a cylinder have 1 or 2 holes?
Think of it like a donut: it only has one hole. Just because the hole in the straw is longer, that doesn't mean it counts as two hole. We're tempted to say a straw has two holes because it has two circles and two openings

Right from google cause I'm lazy. 
  • Like 1
  • ROFL 1

Topographically, mathematically, it has 1 hole. But it feels instinctively like it has 2... But then the earth instinctively feels flat.

It is definitely not 2.  After that we are probably getting nitpicky and I'd just concede to 1 because I'm half trolling about zero but it really does kind of depend on what you call a "hole" per se. :O