Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

The Story Behind Your RL Name

We've heard the stories behind most of our online handles already, but what about our actual names?

My birth name was Daniel Erik Evanson. Erik I assume was chosen because my dad's family is from Norway, so there's some Scandinavian roots in it. From what I understand, Daniel was chosen because one of my dad's favorite songs was "Danny Boy".

Since I came out, I go by Erika Arabella Evanson. Erika is basically just the female version of my middle name. I always liked my middle name more than my first name, so it felt natural to just use that. Arabella is from one of my favorite Arctic Monkeys songs, and because the lyrics basically describe the singer's perfect girl.

• Like 2

I think my mom is just basic as fuck so I'm Christopher.

My middle name comes from my grandpa (Bruce) on my mom's side.  It's a pretty awesome middle name actually. :nod:

• ROFL 1

I was originally going to be named Zachary but she went with Matthew. I ended up Matthew Paul Santucci but it took time to get there.

I was born Matthew Paul Jesse. When my mom divorced I became Matthew Paul Henderson. When my Mom remarried, I was legally adopted and became Matthew Paul Santucci. That happened when I was 5. I've had the name I have right now since 1989. 

Matthew Paul was chosen as "gift from god" or something lame like that, lol. 

I no longer wish to have Santucci as my last name but I've been lazy about working up to getting it legally changed. Eventually it will become Deimos, selected after the Greek God of Terror and Dread.

• Like 1

Super Boring but: I was named after my Grandfathers. I got my Maternal Grandfathers first name and by Paternal Grandfathers middle name. 

21 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I was originally going to be named Zachary but she went with Matthew. I ended up Matthew Paul Santucci but it took time to get there.

I was born Matthew Paul Jesse. When my mom divorced I became Matthew Paul Henderson. When my Mom remarried, I was legally adopted and became Matthew Paul Santucci. That happened when I was 5. I've had the name I have right now since 1989. 

Matthew Paul was chosen as "gift from god" or something lame like that, lol. 

I no longer wish to have Santucci as my last name but I've been lazy about working up to getting it legally changed. Eventually it will become Deimos, selected after the Greek God of Terror and Dread.

Huh...didn't know any of that.  We don't actually talk that much about our personal histories with each other. :thinking2:

pretty much old fashioned here where my first and middle name are from each great grandmothers. One from mom's side and one from dad's side. Although my RL name has evolved into about 5 nicknames now.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, webhead said:

I think my mom is just basic as fuck so I'm Christopher.

My middle name comes from my grandpa (Bruce) on my mom's side.  It's a pretty awesome middle name actually. :nod:

i'm telling your mom you called her basic.

I dunno anything about my name other than apparently my grandmother picked out my first name so that's cool because she's cool and also my brother is on record (video recording and all) saying he wanted to name me Mr Pooper in the Pants so I mean there you go

• ROFL 2

Lucy and I have a long last name, so my parents wanted short first names - and they wanted to choose names that were classic and timeless but without being too popular at the time (e.g. Laura or Rebecca - nice names but so many of them in our generation!). Plus my mum loved Jane Austen and, I think, Jane Eyre so that may well have been a factor in my case. :P

• Like 2

Daniel was literally the only name both my parents could agree on, and was like each of their last choices. :rotfl:

• ROFL 3

1 hour ago, Downshift said:

Daniel was literally the only name both my parents could agree on, and was like each of their last choices. :rotfl:

Knowing how you are, I'm not surprised by this. :rotfl:

Desiree was chosen after a french nurse suggested the name to my mom when I was born. She originally wanted to name me Anastasia.

Well essentially, web's Mom is basic af....

I actually have four names, as does my sister. My Dad and his Dad and I dunno after that... all had the same three names.

My Mum and her Mum and so on all had the same three names...

So they wanted to continue that tradition but also give us our own names. I'm Christopher for... fuck knows why. And my sister also begins with a C but they decided to spell it SLIGHTLY different so she has spent her entire life correcting folk.