Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Galeigh

[Streaming General]

Black Mirror started their new season. Ep 2 is a video game related one and the roomie happened to be watching it with me.

Spoiler

He cried out "that's fucking bullshit!" When we see that the married couple came to an agreement on a certain day of the year. That day is July 14th. Which also happens to be my room mate's birthday. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::koffing:

Swamp Thing already got cancelled.  Apparently according to the article it was a budgetary thing due to rebates in NC not working how they were supposed to.  Another network MIGHT pick it up though?

What a bummer.  Show looks good too and they JUST aired the premiere on DCU.

Season 3 of She-Ra dropped recently and I watched it over the weekend. A Massive step up from season 2 with a gut punch ending. Season 4 cannot get here fast enough. 

Finished watching Harlots last night and it was holy intense but tied off the season well. Makes me wonder if they're gonna continue it with how they finished it. If not it ends well without total cliffhangers of some kind.

Otherwise re-binging Penny Dreadful to get into spoopy season mood.

Are you thinking of something else?  This is their cable streaming service.  Most people said it was on of the best ones.  It's barely been around that long.  Why would it already be shut down?

I literally haven't heard a damn thing about it for 3 years... Thought it was long abandoned. 

Have you given Youtube TV a try? I tried it back when they came out with it, it was how I watched a lot of NHL playoff games. 

10 hours ago, MT said:

Have you given Youtube TV a try? I tried it back when they came out with it, it was how I watched a lot of NHL playoff games. 

@Nick

Seconded.  Youtube TV is pretty good imo.  Give it a shot.  If you are missing channels, you can pair it with Philo.

I might try it out as long as there's a Free Trial. And does Hulu have some kind of Live TV option?

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

I might try it out as long as there's a Free Trial. And does Hulu have some kind of Live TV option?

Yes

@Nick

The big ones right now for streaming:

I use the suppose.tv site to figure out what channels are where.  You basically select what channels you want it will tell you which service (or combination of services) will get you the channels you want.  I do not recommend the AT&T service.  It's garbage.

We've used Philo for Free Trials. I do like that. I think it's Sling we did a Trial for that I didn't like. The picture quality on it was always pretty bad, and it would just randomly stop showing things I was watching. I'll try out the others sometime.

Looks like we're switching over to Youtube TV. :P

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Looks like we're switching over to Youtube TV. :P

I tried that out a bit and liked it.  Was trying to get my grandpa to switch and share with my uncle to save a boatload but he didn't like that he could just type channel numbers. :sigh:

9 hours ago, Galeigh said:

:barf:

You have no idea what you're barfing about.  Youtube TV is a great service actually (if you want live TV). :thumbs:

Live TV = Ads. 

I do not pay for ads. 

(if I am wrong about them having ads I retract my barf and apologize )

11 hours ago, webhead said:

I tried that out a bit and liked it.  Was trying to get my grandpa to switch and share with my uncle to save a boatload but he didn't like that he could just type channel numbers. :sigh:

Yeah, it'll take a while to get my parents used to it. But it's been working really well so far. And I like that you can sort the channels for the guide.

Unlimited DVR is damn nice too.

5 hours ago, Galeigh said:

Live TV = Ads. 

I do not pay for ads. 

(if I am wrong about them having ads I retract my barf and apologize )

Okay so you don't want live TV then. :P

Nope. 

But from a financial perspective YT TV is light years ahead of any cable package. 

I share an account with my mom and aunt and I pay about 20.  It's nice to just put shit on sometimes (play HGTV or Gameshow network or whatever) and it comes with HBO so I can use the app.  If the price went up any more...I'd probably just be like "here guys it's your account now" and peace out. :rotfl:

Watched "I am not okay with this" today, pretty fucking good. Like really good. gonna be looking up the comic it was based on.

• Like 1

Final season of She-ra aired. Man they stuck that landing. A really good end to a really good show. 

On 3/1/2020 at 5:58 AM, Galeigh said:

Watched "I am not okay with this" today, pretty fucking good. Like really good. gonna be looking up the comic it was based on.

I second this. I really hope they do a S2.

In other random streaming I watched The Old Guard last night and it was way better than I expected.
If you want old school Nickelodeon game show feels Th e Floor is Lava is actually pretty okay. The amount of face plants is worth it.
Binged all of Marvelous Mrs Maisel since it was one of the freebie shows I got ever since trying out the Xfinity Flex.

There's been other stuff here and there but those are the highlights atm. Looking at that Nun show but kinda not in the mood for that. Totes ready for Umbrella Academy S2

Watched Warrior Nun and The Old Guard.

Warrior Nun ends on the most ridiculous cliffhanger but was a cool show.

Liked the Old Guard too.  Didn't realize it was a comic.  By Greg Rucka.  Might have to check it out though it's a surprisingly short comic for something that got a movie and clearly setup for a sequel.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of 'The Old Guard' right now. Pretty cool so far.

Watched 'Palm Springs' Saturday Night. Was actually pretty great. It's basically "Groundhog Day by way of The Lonely Island" and it was exactly what I wanted at that point. Not as out and out ridiculous as the previous movies they've done, and had some deeper parts that were kind of nice. All around solid movie overall.

Also watched 'Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga'. Went in for a decent but throw away Will Ferrell movie and was not disappointed. Actually had some interesting story elements that they turned on their heads from what I was expecting out of a semi-cliche story so points in that regard. Had some pretty great bits in it. Not bad for a fluff comedy movie to waste some time on.

2 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Also watched 'Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga'. Went in for a decent but throw away Will Ferrell movie and was not disappointed. Actually had some interesting story elements that they turned on their heads from what I was expecting out of a semi-cliche story so points in that regard. Had some pretty great bits in it. Not bad for a fluff comedy movie to waste some time on

Yup, also thought this. I'm not a huge fan of Ferrel with most of his movies but this was I felt one of the better ones with how it played out. Good set of cast overall, good music. And I love how they did the whole elves bit of Norwegian folklore. Although when I visited some of the countries you saw more on the trolls vs elves.

Just watched Palm Springs on Hulu. It's very Groundhog Day-esque, but it's also very funny. if you don't like Andy Samberg you might want to stay away though.

Watched old guard last night. I haven't watched a movie in a while. I liked it. 

• Like 1

Umbrella Academy S2: God damn that was good, and that fucking ending, holy shit. 

Wizards S1: A lot of good stuff, but I am not a fan of the final fate of Jim. Douxie was awesome from start to finish though.

We watched it the weekend it came out.  I really like this show.  It's just so damn easy to watch. :shiny:

It's lols that every season ends with some gigantic "OH FUCK" but I'm gonna be mad when they cancel it at some point after doing that. :P

We should be good to get one more season before we have to worry with as well as its doing. After 3 is when Netflix likes to start getting cagey with their shows regardless of popularity. 

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Season 2 and it's been excellent.

I also watched 'Cursed' which wasn't too bad but not at all what I was expecting. Learned later it was based on a graphic novel. Netflix seems to be going all in on green lighting things that are based on comics/graphic novels lately and they've almost all been really solid.

• Like 1

Well that and there were only 3 series of books for Umbrella Academy and...

Spoiler

the 4th is called Sparrow Academy and currently being written so it looks like after a potential Season 3, they're gonna be out of material anyway.  They're likely skipping over Hotel Oblivion and going right for the new thing based on what we saw at the end of Season 2.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Klaus using pop culture to start a cult is the best out of this. :rotfl: Also happy that Ben has a 2nd chance at life  :cries:

• Shiny 1
  • ROFL 1

💯

Klaus could pretty much have his own show. :rotfl:

• ROFL 2

Anyone watch Project Power yet? I watched it with friends yesterday and thought it wasn't too bad. Good to see Jamie Foxx back.

I watched it. It had an interesting premise so I decided to give it a shot before I dug into another series. It was nice to have something movie length to pop on and I ended up enjoying it.

Watched a few other things over the past couple weeks too:

[Un]Well - Documentary series on Netflix about the alternative medicine "wellness" industry. Each episode covered a different topic (everything from Essential Oils to Bee Sting Therapy to use of human breast milk for adults and more). It did a really good job of staying neutral on the subject matter, presenting perspectives for and against, people that were seemingly helped by the thing in question and people who were hurt or endangered by it and doctors and experts who supported it and ones who were against it sharing research and things like that. Was really well done overall.

Teenage Bounty Hunters - Really didn't know what to expect going into this. Saw a trailer and it seemed like it could be a fun little distraction, or just absolute garbage. Was pleasantly surprised as it ended up being legitimately good. Deals with a lot of interesting subject matter and had a lot of great humor in it that I really enjoyed all around. Only thing that threw me off is I had a weird moment of mental dysphoria when I realized I was about the same age as the parents of the main character. :rotfl:  

High Score - Another documentary series that popped up on Netflix. About halfway through it. It more or less is about the the history of video games and has been a fun watch so far. First episode covers the arcade boom and the rise of Atari through to the near collapse of the home console industry due in part to E.T. and also talks about the first ever competitive video game tournament in the US, the Space Invaders US National Championship. Lots of interviews with interesting people some of whom I'd never heard of (such as the guy that originally invented the use of cartridges to swap games originally for a console I honestly hadn't even heard of).

Second episode deals mostly with the rise of Nintendo and the NES, including segments about the creation of Nintendo Power magazine, their lawsuit with Universal Studios over Donkey Kong and the 1990 Nintendo World Championships gaming competition. 

Third episode went into detail about the creation of adventure games and RPGs and when graphics were first used for PC gaming and their evolution from text based adventures and vector graphics up through Final Fantasy. Also includes an interesting segment about the first ever LGBTQ-centric game, GayBlade that was made in the 80s and was thought to be lost to time and did not exist anymore

Overall it's been a really fun watch and there has been some really interesting stuff I didn't know about here and there.

Jovanna was watching that teenage bounty hunters show.  It looked funny actually. :lol:

Definitely want to watch those other 2 shows.

Today Jovanna and I watched through the new Saved by the Bell.  Pilot was okay but honestly the show got better and better throughout and was better than I had expected (or was pretty close to what I expected/hoped for).  It's very self aware and funny which I enjoyed and it was fun to watch.  I see people are going all over the internet to review bomb it for its wokeness or whatever but I thought they played most of that pretty cool other than, I guess, the entire premise of the series which is the kids from the shit school being sent to Bayside.

Anyone else watch or going to watch?  I watched like all that show back in the day as a kid so I was kind of hyped when the trailers didn't look like total shit so I'm happy it turned out decent.

I watched a few of the trailers but was kind of on the fence about it. It didn't seem BAD, just not all that interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point as I too used to watch the original show religiously as a kid. XD

• Like 1

Wonder Woman 84 is first up I think.  AND they are rolling out 4K AND HDR! :shiny:

I'm really liking HBO Max. :nod:

Right?!

• Like 1