Old School Forum
Vic Boss

AEW General

Saw someone mention this on reddit earlier

The Good Brothers are the ones that took out Mox last week (or the week before, I forget which)

:nod: 

I think Brother Luke's actually hurt right now, so it'd have to be just Karl

489kow1qd7951.jpg

He just got off on a murder charge, only to be the mastermind behind another one

• ROFL 1

Josh Matthews, tired of being told his commentary is shit, decides to take his frustrations out on Jon Moxley. No one would ever see it coming.

I don't get why people hate Josh so much, because those same people will watch WWE and listen to every other atrocious Michael Cole clone and their insufferable partners (Graves, Byron etc) and even Michael Cole himself and say nothing about it :shrug: (Tom Phillips p. good as a Cole clone tho)

I find Cole, Graves, and Phillips to be far better than Josh Matthews.  Especially Impact Josh Matthews where he sounds forced as fuck.

The thing I don't like about WWE Commentary mostly comes from the production end rather than the individual talents of the announcer.

Samoa Joe hasn't been ruined yet and Tom Phillips feels more like a Gorilla Monsoon type to me where the pre-programmed WWE announcer skillset doesn't diminish his personality at all. The rest are "STEEL STRUCTURE" and "CHAMPIONSHIP OPPORTUNITY" and "IT'S BOSS TIME" pre-programmed robots.

>Forced as fuck

It think it's because his voice is higher pitched so he sounds like Cole's little brother. You can't listen to Graves, Saxton, Vic Joseph or anyone like that and tell me they're not forced as fuck either. Graves especially, every other thing that comes out of his mouth is from the JBL school of "we're supposed to bicker like a married couple to get over the heel's point of view"

13 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

Samoa Joe hasn't been ruined yet and Tom Phillips feels more like a Gorilla Monsoon type to me where the pre-programmed WWE announcer skillset doesn't diminish his personality at all. The rest are "STEEL STRUCTURE" and "CHAMPIONSHIP OPPORTUNITY" and "IT'S BOSS TIME" pre-programmed robots.

>Forced as fuck

It think it's because his voice is higher pitched so he sounds like Cole's little brother. You can't listen to Graves, Saxton, Vic Joseph or anyone like that and tell me they're not forced as fuck either. Graves especially, every other thing that comes out of his mouth is from the JBL school of "we're supposed to bicker like a married couple to get over the heel's point of view"

I wasn't including Saxton or Vic at all in my praise :lol:

I get what you're saying with Graves, but I still think his delivery comes off natural, whereas Josh sounds like he even tries to force a tone of voice that isn't really his.  I dunno, I've always found Matthews annoying whether it's WWE or TNA, whereas with Cole and Graves, I at least enjoy them when they're not being shouted at through the headphones.

:rotfl: 

Impact

Don Callis and Kenny Omega taking credit for everything was AMAZING

Spoiler

I'm happy that so far, Kenny's arc is taking the angle I sort of fantasy booked in his head, where he blames everyone else for his shortcomings or being a piece of shit.  So of course he justifies doing what he did to Mox, despite the fact that it was pretty clearly a plan from the get-go.

Also, after watching the Kenny segment, I'm seeing how much of Impact I can get through without skimming.  It seems like Josh has toned down his voice recently and sounds a bit more natural.  His first few years in Impact were hard to sit through, like he was trying to add bass to his voice.  I know he was heel through part of that, but that also wasn't a great excuse.

Tony Khan killing it with these ads during Impact

• ROFL 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:45 AM, MT said:

Tony Khan killing it with these ads during Impact

"It says 'Dude... why?' " :lol: :lol:

This entire year has been a fucking shit show.

Dude was a Highlight amongst an onslaught of fading Quality. Farewell :(

One hell of a tribute show tonight. AEW really knocked it out of the park.

Let the armchair fantasy booking BEGIN

Will we finally, FINALLY get a proper BC civil war? I just want to see Jay/Tama v Karl/Luke on the mic plz

TBH, all I want is Omega/Okada 5 so Okada can get his win back and then they can shut the forbidden door again and lock it

• Sad 2

HELLO MOTHER FUCKERS

I know nothing about her, but that tweet has me interested.

• Like 1

That is basically her whole gimmick.

Began as an idol, let the fame go to her head, became a brat, disrespects everyone, gives them the middle finger, loves English swear words and being reckless. Her main attack is a running diving headbutt. Definitely the type of "gimmick" wrestler that will fit into AEW perfectly, although her wrestling isn't fantastic per se (she is improving as time goes on).

She also has a very DDT-esque "attack" of screaming at her opponent to make them fall down. Means matches against other gimmicks such as Su Yung are entertaining if nothing else.

But all you really need to know is - she says motherfucker and gives opponents the middle finger a lot :lol: 

He's gonna be a commentator on another AEW Dark show that'll air Mondays on Youtube. Lots of real good jokes in the reddit thread about it. My favorite is how he should randomly switch between coming out of the face tunnel and the heel tunnel. :lol: 

• ROFL 1

I was a) Really hoping they weren't going to repeat that ending and b) if they were, to not botch the explosion :(

Really enjoyed all of Double or Nothing, outside of Cody/Ago. There was no way Cody was losing in that patriotic gear, going by American Dream, and after a "thanks, troops!" message.

Was hoping for a debut and was slightly let down because of not getting one, but otherwise it was pretty great. Having a crowd back makes a HUGE difference for me. I've barely watched anything this year, outside of Cesaro's WM match, and maybe one more that springs to mind.

Lio Rush and Mark Henry.

Who are not Bryan Danielson or Samoa Joe :lurk:

I do think Mark is a huge organizational pick-up in that he has an eye for talent, and experienced power wrestlers are usually in the WWE so that element outside of the WWE isn't as experienced or well-trained as flippy-shit or technical guys are.

As for the show itself

I skipped the Battle Royal and the Stadium Stampede.

I thought putting the Mox/Kingston vs Bucks match on second was a mistake because they did every false finish under the sun and killed the crowd for the middle of the show.

I think the Cody vs Ogogo match was a good match but the wrong crowd, I don't think the AEW crowd in particular was ever going to fully buy into the patriotism stuff.

Looked like Dr Britt got blown up partway through.

Miro vs Lance was awesome, especially when Miro

Threw the snake bag, biggest heel move of the night

Sting/Darby vs Scorpio and the Taxman was probably my favourite match just because

Sting did things!

The World Title triple threat

was anti-climactic with the quick Kenny crucifix roll-up but I got more into the match than I thought I would. I bit on a few of the Orange Cassidy false finishes (Normally I don't think he'd win, but I do think he's Tony Khan's favourite wrestler). I think Pac did great despite being cold as fuck without all that much momentum (Pandemic's probably hurt him worse than most on the roster just from travel restrictions). I really liked Kenny using the three belts in succession to attack Pac.

Also most importantly: Kenny didn't appear to get hurt during the match, so the match I want to see the most, Kenny Omega vs Moose for the Impact title, should still be on :shiny:

• Like 1

AEW title match spoiler

Was hoping they'd have a surprise big name show up to challenge Kenny after the match. I feel like he's got to lose one of those belts sometime, I can't imagine other companies want someone who doesn't work for them holding their belt for too much longer.

51 minutes ago, MT said:

AEW title match spoiler

Hide contents

Was hoping they'd have a surprise big name show up to challenge Kenny after the match. I feel like he's got to lose one of those belts sometime, I can't imagine other companies want someone who doesn't work for them holding their belt for too much longer.

It's hard to get a read on the Impact situation because they've built up about three or four challengers but Moose is up next and I do think Moose is gonna beat him.

The AAA Title is actually tricking English-language fans somewhat, it's the third most important thing in that company (acks maybe fourth) so it really doesn't matter if he holds it forever as long as he wrestles for them once in awhile.

I am so fucking happy right now

Tommy End/Malachi Black made his AEW debut tonight, attacking Arn and Cody

:mosh: :shiny: :jumboshiny:

• Like 1

Kinda sucks he's not going under "Tommy End" but I also understand it because you can't have that chant every time he's on TV :lurk:

• ROFL 1

29 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

Hide contents

Kinda sucks he's not going under "Tommy End" but I also understand it because you can't have that chant every time he's on TV :lurk:

Not sure if it was Excalibur fucking up, but I got the feeling he may go back and forth between the two, as if Malakai is the one possessing Tommy?

I hope we're not doing The Fiend or Alexa Bliss stuff because I might have to hit the fast-forward button on that

• Like 1

Please no

Just be a weirdo guy talking this shit like OG Bray Wyatt, not The Fiend

• Like 1

JR once again becoming a massive scapegoat for his "Tommy End, or whatever he is going to be called" line.

Fuck.

That.

We are not fucking idiots. The reason the reveal got the response it did is because we know who Tommy End, or at least Alister Black, is. The crowd wasn't going wild for some no-name random figure coming out the shadows and attacking Cody. They were going wild because it's Tommy Fucking End. But we also know people change their name and shit.

Leave JR alone. His line was no worse than Excalibur's "That's Tommy End, but that's not the person I fought 15 years ago" line. It's clunky however you deliver it. But he's here, he's Tommy Fucking End, but he's known as Malakai Black. I got all the info I needed. It was fine. Kayfabe is dead and buried, live with it ya fucking marks. Would they rather he came out with Tony Khan next week all smiles, kissing babies and did a full-on "name reveal party" like KENTA did in NXT? Fuck off. [/rant]

There are elements of the Elite fanbase that I really don't like, and the Jim Ross disrespect is definitely one of them

There have been a lot of rumors lately saying they've signed CM Punk and Bryan Danielson, and they don't seem to be going away. Living Colour (the band that performed Cult of Personality, Punk's old WWE song) has followed and unfollowed AEW on Twitter and Instagram, and Punk has followed both AEW and Tony Khan. With Punk it's obvious he's just fucking around and having some fun with it, but with Living Colour following people as well, it makes me slightly more hopeful.

I'm still not going to believe it until I actually see it happen, though.

I believe both.

tfw got the Good Brothers, Andrade, and Danielson back, and almost got Joe back before he swerved (RIP ;_;)

Just need AJ now (which I don't think that one's gonna happen) and Nigel to come out of retirement (def won't happen) and I've got all the guys I want back