Old School Forum
Vic Boss

AEW General

5 hours ago, MT said:

Pretty great for a free show. Was interesting to watch as a fan of wrestling and of the fighting game community. Seeing Jebailey come out and actually take a table spot was fucking crazy. Seeing Yipes (the dude with the braids who was sitting to the left side of the ring on hard cam) get hype was amazing, and that dude should be in the front row at more wrestling events. Seeing that dude who's always front row at NXT shows was kind of odd at first, but I got over it real quick. Fucking Goldenboy (from Overwatch League commentary) doing commentary all night and getting to work with two of the greatest announcers in pro wrestling was amazing to see as well, and he did a fantastic job. I hope they bring him back for more.

Hide contents

Like Ma said, MJF is fucking incredible as a heel, and everything he says just makes me want to see him get his ass kicked. The Librarian shit is incredibly lame and needs to go. I don't know much about the male one, but Leva Bates is better than that shitty gimmick. It's not funny, and from what i'm gathering it's pretty universally hated. Seeing the Best Friends win was awesome. I enjoyed the women's match, and like Ma i'd like to see Nyla actually win. It's only her second real match of AEW so there's still plenty of time to turn it around. I just wanted to give Yuka a hug at the end of that match, she looked so sad. That Street Fighter intro for the Bucks/Omega was hilarious too, I just wish the lights had gone out for a little less time than they ended up going with, would've made Omega's appearance even better.

Great show all around, and I feel like they did a good job starting some actual storylines for future shows. Also, maybe it was just the version I watched, but it seemed like all the text/graphics were really low res?

On The Librarian:

Spoiler

Peter Avalon is one of those guys who very naturally plays a more comedic role, but he can go in the ring and turn it on into something more serious.  I actually think he could ultimately do more with The Librarian gimmick, but overall, I think it's something they'll need drop sooner rather than later.  It's the sort of thing that works fine for BTE, but really falls flat in the arena.  Honestly, though, I think that has more to do with Leva not really having the personality for it and PPA not really sure what to do with it.  AKA it's a shit gimmick that needs to be canned.

• Like 1

Half the fun of AEW shows are actually watching the promo videos and shows, the other half is Jim Cornette's podcast reviewing the shows because even through his old-man viewpoint, a lot of what he says is pretty spot-on

Edit: (Starts at about 00:35ish)

Welp. I now watch AEW the same way I do WWE, skip a lot of segments and mostly watch matches with people I really like and/or the big matches.

The G1 might partly be to blame for this (though it does expose AEW as weak on quality-control in their prelim matches when I watch that vs this), but the wrong people are winning and losing a bit too much for my liking, and I'm reading a bit too much nepotism and schizophrenic promotion where a youtube video will promote one thing, then the presentation or match will undo it (Brandy in particular comes to mind here).

(Still haven't seen Kenny vs CIMA and Bucks vs Rhodes and I assume those will both be really good, but the rest of the show has left a lot to be desired from what my hopes and dreams of what AEW could be).

14 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

Still haven't seen Kenny vs CIMA and Bucks vs Rhodes and I assume those will both be really good

They are. 

Closing of the show (after the main event) was awkward and clunky as fuck, though. 

I really liked CIMA/Kenny. I got about halfway through Bucks vs Rhodes and had to skip to the end, dead crowd and styles not meshing super well

• Like 1

Spoiler

-Omega/CIMA was pretty exciting.  I think it took a minute to really catch momentum, and there was a point I felt like CIMA was using the meteora a bit too much.  But other than that, this may have been the highlight of the night up to this point.  A-/92

-Jericho's promo was pretty standard, but I liked the idea that he's actually scared of losing to Hangman.  I also think Hangman coming out to attack Jericho made this feel more hot, just a little bit.  I love Hangman, but I still kinda feel like it feels a bit underwhelming for the first AEW Title match.

-Hot opening for Young Bucks/Brotherhood.  The trading of holds and then getting into each other's face made this feel personal.  I also love whenever the Young Bucks wrestle a slower match and show they can actually develop ring psychology.  Dustin and Cody gelled great together and mostly felt like they never lost a beat from the last time they teamed.  I felt the middle of the match kind of lost some momentum, but overall this was a well-delivered main event.  But the wrong team won and I think the crowd being so dead did take a lot away from it.  This would be a highly ranked match otherwise.  A-/91

-Oof, the time running out at the end of the show was awkward as hell, and completely sucked the air out of what was probably going to be an emotional plea for the Brotherhood to keep teaming and entering the tournament.  But Cody did a good job of taking command of the moment and getting the crowd back with his little promo.  But man...Kenny having to do an alternative to his send-off catchphrase was also awkward. Let's just hope none of that happens again any time soon.

Honestly, this show was a bit more of a disappointment compared to the last two.  I liked the opening match, and I like moments of the other matches, but nothing really grabbed me here.   Even though Fyter Fest felt like a mixed bag, I felt the highs really made up for the lows, and I didn't really feel that here.

Oh, and the arena and stage set-up was fucking awesome.   Felt super unique.  Since the building is owned by the Khans, I hope and expect there to be regular shows here.  I think AEW can really benefit from having unique sets.

• Like 1

• Like 2

It sounds like from what Meltzer's been told or hinted at that AEW is planning to run 100-120 shows per year. 51 episodes of live TV, a weekly Saturday house show, and some PPVs.

Also they might be planning to tape TV on the Jericho Cruise.

AAA's Triplemania is this Saturday. Headlined by Rey Wagner/Dr Wagner Jr vs Blue Demon Jr in a Hair (with extensions) vs Mask match. The match won't be good (they're both 53) but they'll probably bleed a lot and there's a shot BDJ loses his mask.

How it pertains to AEW is that there's a trios rematch of The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega vs The Lucha Bros and Laredo Kid, and one of the other main events is a trios match between Psycho Clown, Cody Rhodes and former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez vs Texano Jr, Taurus and a mystery opponent.

Saw the last 5-10 minutes or so of the AEW stuff, it's as glorious a mess as you'd expect it to be.

Fenix putting his mask back on while giving a reverse rana to Kenny Omega

:drool: 

Triplemania was fun as fuck.

Though the Bucks/Kenny vs Laredo/Lucha Bros was one of my least favs. A little bit because they put it in the wrong slot (Cody/Cain/Psycho should've gone second-to-last) and a little because they had an American style match in front of a lucha crowd and that generally doesn't work out great

Also was legit wondering if they had Cain come out in a mask so he could be replaced by a body double, dude wasn't wrestling shoot-style, he was doing actual lucha shit

Moxley vs Pentagon Jr happened at an NEW show the other night

:lurk:

Moxley's off of All Out with an MSRA infection that requires surgery, PAC's taking his place vs Kenny. Mox should be ready for AEW's TV debut (and more importantly, Josh Barnett's Bloodsport 2)

September 14th. Main event is Josh Barnett vs Moxley

That makes a lot more sense.  I remember hearing the announcement and wondering why it was so early that they were announcing matches.  I'll be tuning into that for sure.

I'm pretty sure the Moxley thing isn't a work, but there is this that's making me think otherwise.

It's possible. Apparently this is just a one-off for PAC and the surgery may not necessarily prevent him from being at the show, but MSRA is contagious I think so they probably don't want him rolling around with anyone.

Would've preferred Goldenboy instead of JR, but this is a good line up.

Schiavone and JR hated each other at one point, this should be interesting

(I still hope Excalibur loses the mask)

We doing picks?

Faaaaaaack, I totally forgot about this. I have no drive at the moment to throw another sheet and template together. :|

I'll try to when I get home tonight

Working on it now, anyone got any bonus question ideas? I'm thinking maybe:

Does Tully interfere in Cody/Shawn Spears?

Who will Cody have in his corner?

Does Jon Moxley show up?

First team/person to use ladder successfully?

• Like 2

Over/Under How many Dark Order Gimps interfere in the Best Friends match: 1.5

Here's what i've got so far, let me know if there are matches we don't want to pick for or if the bonus questions need to be changed/removed/added to.

THE SPREADSHEET

allout.jpg

The Template

B1. 
B2. 
B3. 
B4.

B5.  

1. AEW World Championship: Chris Jericho vs. Adam "Hangman" Page
2. Kenny Omega vs. PAC
3. AAA Tag Team Championship: Lucha Brothers (c) vs. The Young Bucks (Ladder Match)
4. Cody vs. Shawn Spears (w/Tully Blanchard)
5. Best Friends vs. Dark Order (Winner gets a bye in tag team championship tournament)
6. Joey Janela vs. Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin
7. Riho vs. Hikaru Shida
8. Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt vs. SCU

B1. Over/Under How many Dark Order Gimps interfere in the Best Friends match: 1.5

B2. Who will Cody have in his corner?
B3. Does Tully interfere in Cody/Shawn Spears?
B4. First team to use ladder successfully?
B5. Does Jon Moxley show up?

Gonna do the spreadsheet next.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 12:02 AM, MT said:

Would've preferred Goldenboy instead of JR, but this is a good line up.

• Shiny 1

Oh shit, that's awesome :nod:

The Template

1. Hangman Page
2. Kenny Omega
3. Young Bucks
4. Shawn Spears
5. Dark Order
6. Darby Allin
7. Riho
8. Team Jungle

B1. Over
B2. Brandi
B3. Yes
B4. Lucha Bros

B5.  No

1. AEW World Championship: Chris Jericho vs. Adam "Hangman" Page
2. Kenny Omega vs. PAC
3. AAA Tag Team Championship: Lucha Brothers (c) vs. The Young Bucks (Ladder Match)
4. Cody vs. Shawn Spears (w/Tully Blanchard)
5. Best Friends vs. Dark Order (Winner gets a bye in tag team championship tournament)
6. Joey Janela vs. Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin
7. Riho vs. Hikaru Shida
8. Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt vs. SCU

B1. Over/Under How many Dark Order Gimps interfere in the Best Friends match: 1.5

B2. Who will Cody have in his corner?
B3. Does Tully interfere in Cody/Shawn Spears?
B4. First team/person to use ladder successfully?
B5. Does Jon Moxley show up?

1. Jericho
2. Kenny
3. Lucha Brothers
4. The Perfect 10
5. The Dark Order
6. Darby Allin
7. Riho
8. SCUUUUUUUUU

B1. Over
B2. Brandi
B3. Nah
B4. LUCHA

B5. Nah

Edited a couple

>All Out

>Royal Quest

>Takeover Cardiff

>Khabib back in UFC

Fuck this weekend :rip:

Just so they're here as well, here's my picks.

1. Jericho
2. Kenny
3. Lucha Bros
4. Shawn
5. Best Friends
6. Darby Allin
7. Riho
8. SCU

B1. Over
B2. DDP
B3. Yes
B4. Young Bucks
B5. Yes

1. Page
2. Kenny
3. Lucha Bros.
4. Spears
5. Best Friends
6. Janela
7. Riho
SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

B1. Over
B2. Dustin
B3. Yes
B4.
Penta/Luchas

B5. No

Do we need to clarify if Moxley shows up in general, or if he interferes, or anything like that?

I think just being physically there is good enough, because he just came off a surgery/infection that removed him from a match.

1. Jericho
2. PAC
3. Lucha Brothers
4. Cody
5. Dark Order
6. Darby Allin
7. Riho
8. SCU

B1. Over
B2. Magnum TA
B3. Yes
B4. Rey Fenix

B5. No

15 hours ago, MT said:

Thank you. Seriously. But can you make it so anyone with the link can edit? (Click the share button in the top right, change the option. It may make the url for the link different.) 

1. Jericho
2. Omega
3. The Young Bucks
4. Cody
5. Dark Order
6. Jimmy Havoc
7. Riho
8. The Boy and His Dinosaur

B1. Over
B2. Dustin
B3. Yes
B4. Lucha Brothers
B5. Yes

1) Jericho

2) Omega

3) Bucks

4) Spears

5) Dark Order

6) Janela

7) Riho

?Luchasaurus House Party

B1 over

B2 Brandi

B3 yes? Does getting on the apron and attempting count?

B4 Bucks

B5 Yes

B6 CM Punk

53 minutes ago, Garlic Junior said:

B3 yes? Does getting on the apron and attempting count?

Hrm, didn't we rule that distractions are interference too as long as it works?