Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deimos

Which Stephen King Based Movies Have You Seen?

Stephen King  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Stephen King based have you seen?

• Carrie (1976)
    • The Shining (1980)
    • Cujo (1983)
    • The Dead Zone (1983)
    • Christine (1983)
    • Children of the Corn (1984)
    • Firestarter (1984)
    • Cat's Eye (1985)
    • Silver Bullet (1985)
    • Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    • Stand By Me (1986)
    • The Running Man (1987)
    • Pet Sematary (1989)
    • Graveyard Shift (1990)
    • Misery (1990)
    • The Lawnmower Man (1992)
    • Sleepwalkers (1992)
    • Pet Sematary 2 (1992)
    • The Dark Half (1993)
    • Needful Things (1993)
    • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    • The Mangler (1995)
    • Dolores Clairborne (1995)
    • Thinner (1996)
    • The Night Flier (1997)
    • Apt Pupil (1998)
    • The Green Mile (1999)
    • Hearts in Atlantis (2001)
    • Carrie (2002)
    • Dreamcatcher (2003)
    • Secret Window (2004)
    • Riding the Bullet (2004)
    • 1408 (2007)
    • Carrie (2013)
    • Cell (2016)
    • The Dark Tower (2017)
    • It (2017)
    • Gerald's Game (2017)
    • 1922 (2017)
    • Pet Sematary (2019)
    • Salem's Lot (1979 TV Movie)
    • It (1990 TV Movie)
    • Sometimes They Come Back (1991 TV Movie)
    • The Tommyknockers (1993 TV Movie)
    • The Langoliers (1995 TV Movie)
    • Children of the Corn (2009 TV Movie)

I hit 47 and I still left a ton out. Jesus. :|

• ROFL 1

Carrie & The Running Man. That's it.

I feel kinda sad that I haven't seen more.  I really love Stephen King.  I actually have acquired basically all of them though and I'm going to watch them here and there.  Maybe THAT is what I'll do while I'm on baby leave. :shiny:

Shawshank, great movie.

I did vote The Shining because I'm pretty sure I've seen the entirety of the movie, just not all in one sitting.

Are we not including the Hulu's TV of Castle Rock? Or was that not SK works? I got about average in that list with about half of them. I'm actually shocked but then my dad's the hard core reader fan of his stuff.

I didn't include TV shows. Just TV movies.

Fair enough

Jesus, they made a Gerald's Game movie?? That one was dark as shit

Yea Netflix did that one. I pretty much couldn't get into it.

Spoiler

After the accidental death happened and she started going insane (I think when the dog shows up to nom on the body?) it started grating on me. Basically what started out slow and then "Well that escalated quickly" :uhoh:

I barely paid attention to hearts in atlantis and I was even then super disappointed at how shit the movie turned out compared to the book

We should vote on our favorites next.  I already know mine. :lurk:

I need to see the new IT. Hard to find the time cause Desi HATES horror movies.

Divorce and murder are always options.

Or you know, just watch it without her. :rotfl:

• Like 2

That's not very Stephen King of you.

• ROFL 1

raw?itemid=8677176

• ROFL 1

On 4/5/2019 at 11:52 PM, Deimos said:

I hit 47 and I still left a ton out. Jesus. :|

Was about to berate you for leaving out a bunch but you saved yourself. XD

Were actually a few on here I hadn't seen and in one or two cases wasn't aware of though.

Stuff I can think of you didn't have on the list that I've seen:

Creepshow (in part)

Creepshow 2 (one part for this one I think)

The Mist

The Stand

Golden Years

The Shining (late 90s miniseries)

Trucks

Storm of the Century

Rose Red

Salem's Lot (early 00s miniseries)

Some of this stuff was technically "original" works for screen by him I guess, but some of the ones you listed were too so I added them. Stayed away from actual TV series' but included mini-series entries since you also included some that were.

Side note: Just saw that Netflix is doing an adaptation of the novella he wrote with his son, "In the Tall Grass". That was easily one of the most fucked up stories I have ever read and I'm interested to see if they actually go all in on it. :shudder: 

Also looking forward to seeing more from the adaptation of Doctor Sleep they're doing. That'll be an easy one to fuck up but it sounds like they're leaning pretty hard into the legacy of the Kubric version of The Shining for it.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, Lucy said:

Jesus, they made a Gerald's Game movie?? That one was dark as shit

They did a really fantastic job of it too honestly. Especially since that particular story was long believed to be more or less untouchable for adaptation purposes.

Interesting note so far, 1990 IT and The shining are tied for most viewed. 

4 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Stuff I can think of you didn't have on the list that I've seen:

Creepshow (in part)

Creepshow 2 (one part for this one I think)

The Mist

The Stand

Golden Years

The Shining (late 90s miniseries)

Trucks

Storm of the Century

Rose Red

Salem's Lot (early 00s miniseries)

I didn't include the Creepshows because they weren't exclusively based on his works.

The Mist was on there. Or it should have been. I may have skipped over it on accident but I really thought it was there.

The rest were left off because I was pretty sure most people hadn't seen. 

Oh man how did I forget The Mist?  I fucking loved that movie. :heart:

3 hours ago, Deimos said:

I didn't include the Creepshows because they weren't exclusively based on his works.

Cat's Eye was only partially adaptation as well but wholly written by him. Same goes for Creepshow. Two of the stories are adapted from his short stories and the rest is original, but still written by him. I'll give you Creepshow 2 since only one of those is based on his stuff and he didn't have writing credits on it. Just learned though that the kid from the Prologue and Epilogue of the original Creepshow is actually his son, Joe Hill. :O 

The Mist was on there. Or it should have been. I may have skipped over it on accident but I really thought it was there.

Nope. Double checked on that one because I thought it was weird you left it off. XD

The rest were left off because I was pretty sure most people hadn't seen. 

I'll give that to you on a couple (especially Golden Years. Was boring as shit anyway imo), but The Stand? Also, Rose Red and Storm of the Century were relatively big deals when they came out if I recall. They even published the screenplay for Storm of the Century I remember. First time I had ever read one.
I also honestly prefer those versions of The Shining and Salem's Lot. They were MUCH better as adaptations. Though in the case of The Shining it's purely for that since Kubrick's version was great too. Always HATED the original Salem's Lot though. Was so mad after I watched it because I loved the book. XD

In The Tall Grass was... strange

Like, I'm not unhappy I saw it but I'm also left scratching my head at some obvious plot holes. And like most Stephen King stuff, it just... ends

A solid 5/10 the idea is intriguing and execution is fine, but it's not as smart as it thinks it is

They added a LOT of stuff too it off the Novella. There was no weird time displacement shit, and the boyfriend was not a factor in the original story at all. They definitely tried to make it more "smart" than it was meant to be and it shows. The acting carried it pretty well imo though. The novella was fairly disturbing in its own right and they had most of the major plot points from that so I enjoyed it. Was weird seeing all the extra stuff but I still enjoyed it.

Only really big thing that was missing from the original story that I recall which seemed like it would have been useful for the movie to have was at once point, the brother tries to set the field on fire.

• Like 1

My major gripe with In The Tall Grass:

Patrick's character clearly went mad from touching the wrong.

Cal went slightly mad from almost touching the rock.

The boyfriend was close to the rock and killed/tried to kill but retained his sanity. All good.

Why was there no comeuppance from the little kid touching the rock?

Yeah, they tried a little too hard to have a "happy" ending and didn't consider some things that following the book made happen but didn't click with their additions.

In the book everyone dies basically, so the kid was crazy too and there was no redemption of anything. Those elements were still there before the pulled the boyfriend/time displacement angle but that muddied a lot of it from there.

Yeah, I feel like THAT would be more satisfying. Like, I the first thing I said when it ended was:

So how is the kid going to explain this? Is he going to come up with a cover story? Will this couple adopt him?

My GF basically said, "He ain't gonna explain shit" and I realised the movie ended right there because they couldn't come up with any explanations either.