1. 1. Finals

• The Dark Knight
    • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

THE DARK KNIGHT

VS

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Pssst:

Batman is American :shh:

You're aware that Gotham is in Canada, right?

The whole DC TV universe is apparently in Vancouver. :P

• Like 1

Gonna have to give this one a good, long think.

• Like 1

At least it doesn't have Murica in the name.

In all honesty I wasn't a huge fan of winter solder. I enjoyed it, yeah but I think there was much better options in the MCU that lost out to it :/

Winter Soldier kind of got an easy thread through the tournament but that being said, I think it's one of the best in the MCU.  What are all the others you think are better?

• Like 1

Winter Soldier is probably in my top 3 MCU movies. The first Avengers may still be my favorite.

13 hours ago, Deimos said:

You're aware that Gotham is in Canada, right?

Is this real?  I've never heard this, and always been under the impression it was based off NYC or Chicago.

The Nolan version of Gotham is supposed to be based off Chicago, from what I remember hearing.

• Like 2

I always got more of a Chicago vibe, especially with the heavy mafia influence, but the early days of Detective Comics said NYC.  I could see later Batman maybe being a bit more influenced by Chicago, but other than Nolan's version, NYC is probably the proper answer.

Also, there IS a Gotham in Canada irl, so that might have been the cheeky joke he was making.

14 hours ago, MT said:

Gonna have to give this one a good, long think.

Yeah, I'm gonna rewatch Winter Soldier again before voting.

Also I always thought Gotham was meant to be NYC :shrug:

NYC. Even has its own New Jersey (Bludhaven)

Metropolis is New York in the day, Gotham is New York at night. They also have their own ripoff Chicago in the DCU but I've never heard of it

• Like 2

I think people so strongly associate mafia stuff with Chicago that they forget all the mafia type stuff in NYC (like the 5 families I posted above...which is DEFINITELY a concept they have hit many many times with Batman...including TDK movies :lol:).

Gotham was always a Chicago rip off with some new york elements. 

Metropolis is straight up New York. 

• Like 1

I was just being dumb. I like that it's become this though.

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

Gotham was always a Chicago rip off with some new york elements. 

Metropolis is straight up New York. 

Except that it is New York.

Origin of name

Writer Bill Finger, on the naming of the city and the reason for changing Batman's locale from New York City to a fictional city, said, "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City.' Then I tried 'Capital City,' then 'Coast City.' Then I flipped through the New York City phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it,' Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we wanted anybody in any city to identify with it."[10]

"Gotham" was a nickname for New York City that became popular in the nineteenth century; Washington Irving had first attached it to New York in the November 11, 1807 edition of his Salmagundi,[11] a periodical which lampooned New York culture and politics. Irving took the name from the village of Gotham, Nottinghamshire, England: a place inhabited, according to folklore, by fools.[12][13] The village's name derives from Old English gāt 'goat' and hām "home", literally "homestead where goats are kept,"[14] and is pronounced /ˈɡoʊtəm/ GOHT-əm, like the word goat (cf. Chatham, /ˈtʃætəm/ CHAT-əm, a similar name where the letters th represent a "t" sound followed by a silent "h" rather than a "th" sound). The Joker refers to this etymology in Detective Comics #880, in which he tells Batman that the word means "a safe place for goats."[15] In contrast, "Gotham" as used for New York has a different pronunciation by analogy to other words spelled with "th" and is pronounced as /ˈɡɒθəm/ GOTH-əm,[16] like the word Goth.

Elements of Chicago sure but it used to literally be New York and they renamed it. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City

56 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Yeah like...why not right? :rotfl:

Weird. I have always looked at gotham as a Chicago locale ever since I was a kid.

I always looked at it as both.  Until this conversation I did not know it literally started AS NYC in the original comics.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:13 PM, webhead said:

Winter Soldier kind of got an easy thread through the tournament but that being said, I think it's one of the best in the MCU.  What are all the others you think are better?

Personally enjoyed Guardians 1 the most out of the MCU. I'll say I think Winter Soldier is the best of the Captain movies though. 

As for a list.

Avengers 1

Guardians 1

Ragnarok 

Doctor Strange

10 hours ago, Deimos said:

Look at you stirring up conversation.

I think what probably happened is writers and artists probably started going for more of a Chicago vibe in the later years, hence why everyone always FELT like it Chicago when it's truly NYC.

I'm just talking out of my ass, though.  I think it's fair to say it's ultimately NYC, regardless of what it feels like.

• Like 1

For goodness sake. This is so well-established that New Yorkers literally use "Gotham" as slang for their own city. cf "The Gothamist" and such.

6 minutes ago, Olly said:

For goodness sake. This is so well-established that New Yorkers literally use "Gotham" as slang for their own city. cf "The Gothamist" and such.

They should probably make Gotham seem more New York-ish then, because us inlanders aren't in the know.

I think Nolan may have been trying to deliberately disassociate his Gotham from NYC. But it's plenty obvious in other Batman media. Only showing your canon ignorance if you think Gotham = Chicago, foo'

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Olly said:

I think Nolan may have been trying to deliberately disassociate his Gotham from NYC. But it's plenty obvious in other Batman media. Only showing your canon ignorance if you think Gotham = Chicago, foo'

Don’t underestimate my canon ignorance.

• ROFL 3

I've literally never heard of Gotham being connected to Chicago until this thread.

275px-Gotham_City_map_(Amazing_World_of_DC_Comics).jpg.93ddb6edbc4d6787a98d6304fa940f84.jpg

According to this him the late 70s, Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware. They are across the water from each other.

This actually fits the Superman vs Batman movie with them being across the water from each other.

3 hours ago, Nairn Smoith said:

Don’t underestimate my canon ignorance.

But how is your cannon ignorance?

3 hours ago, Deimos said:

275px-Gotham_City_map_(Amazing_World_of_DC_Comics).jpg.93ddb6edbc4d6787a98d6304fa940f84.jpg

According to this him the late 70s, Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware. They are across the water from each other.

This actually fits the Superman vs Batman movie with them being across the water from each other.

Yeah they've definitely workshopped it over the years so that Gotham and Metropolis being close to each other actually made sense. :lol: