Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

This looks fucking sick, I can't wait.

Yeah, this looks like fun. Marvel seems to often be at their best with their relatively unknown properties so I'm interested in seeing how this one plays out. I honestly didn't even know who this character was until the last Secret Wars event they did even though he's been around since the 70s.

I'm assuming they're retconing him to be the son of the Mandarin based on the movie title and his father's general appearance in the trailer. Plus, we're long overdue for them to pick that thread back up. 

Coincidentally enough, my first encounter with Shang-Chi's character via Secret Wars had done exactly that so I'm partial to the idea of him being the son of the Mandarin anyway. XD

Got my fingers crossed for a Sir Ben Kingsley cameo 

• Like 2

I think the last MCU movie I watched was Ant-Man (the first one)... I lost interest in the whole thing and have been out of the loop for a while now... but I'd be tempted to check out Shang-Chi. These movies don't go on Netflix anymore, right? Guess I'll have to try to catch it on a plane someday if we can ever travel again :rotfl: 

Was that Abomination at the end there?

4 hours ago, MT said:

Hide contents

Was that Abomination at the end there?

That is DEFINITELY what that looked like. I was interested in this already, but this trailer has me even more excited now.

On 6/24/2021 at 11:23 PM, Mera'din said:

That is DEFINITELY what that looked like. I was interested in this already, but this trailer has me even more excited now.

It was Abomination, fighting Wong (from Dr. Strange)

• Shiny 1

I wasn't all that excited at first for this one but I am liking what I see the more I see of this.  I think this will be a cool movie. :nod: 

Welp, during my daily morning scroll through reddit, I had something in the movie spoiled for me, so that's awesome. Really would've loved to find it out while watching. Movie's not out for 2 weeks. :nono: Said spoiler is below, just in case I didn't make it obvious :lurk: 

Ben Kingsley is back

Shang-Chi was fucking dope. As a Marvel nerd and a martial arts need, I loved it. Solid 9/10. It could've been a tiny bit shorter, that's my only real complaint. Will post spoiler stuff when I get home, currently waiting to see if there's an after credits scene.

Edit: There is! Mid and post.

This movie was fucking gorgeous. Outside of one shot of the bus near the beginning, the CGI was fantastic. The fight between Wen Wu and his future wife (whose name escapes me) was one of the most beautifully choreographed fight scenes i've seen in a long while. I'd not seen much of Awkwafina before this, and for some reason had a negative feeling about her in my head, but she won me over in this. It was nice to see her be something more than just along for the ride. Shang-Chi's sister was a fucking badass, and i'm glad she survived the whole movie. Interested in seeing how she handles the Ten Rings from now on, as she didn't really seem evil during the movie, but they are a terrorist organization, so who knows.

Kind of sad we didn't a bit more of the masked guy that I think was Wen Wu's second in command, although he did come off like one tough motherfucker. They did enough with that character to that, when he dies, it's an "oh shit" moment because it makes you feel like no one is safe outside of maybe Shang-Chi himself. Wong and Abomination being in the movie was pretty funny, especially when it's revealed they're not actually trying to kill each other. I had to wonder why Wong was doing it, though...seems somewhat out of character from how he's been portrayed in the MCU so far. 

I knew Ben Kingsley was back as Trevor due to it getting spoiled beforehand, but I was surprised at just how much of him we got in the movie. I was figuring he'd be on a video getting tortured for a bit before getting killed off, but nope! He and Morris were great comic relief. I sincerely hope that's not the last we see of that character, because he's a blast. Really wishing they didn't end up killing Wen Wu, but I don't really know what else they do for him outside of keep him around for sequels. 

Lastly, it was so good to see Michelle Yeoh again, she is dope as hell. I remember seeing her for the first time in some Jackie Chan movie (I think it was Supercop), and she's just as gorgeous and awesome now as she was back then. I wish she had been in the movie more, but what we got was pretty great. Hopefully they bring her back in the future.

After the disappointment that was Iron Fist, i'm so glad Marvel got the martial arts epic right.

Forgot to post here after watching it when it finally got on D+. 

Enjoyed it very much visually, the story.

Spoiler

Wong at fucking Karaoke :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

I forgot to post as well. Saw it in the theater. Glad I did. Easily one of the best Marvel movies to date imo. So many nods to other martial arts movies, great set pieces and action sequences, etc. Just a great film all around. Also love the completely platonic relationship that never veered into a romantic thing. Not often you see that.

• Like 1

Yeah I had very little interest going into it but I thought they did a very good job. The choreography was amazing. Was kind of leaning back until that bus scene and they had my attention after that. Definitely some flaws here and there but fun enough to not really care at the end.

17 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Also love the completely platonic relationship that never veered into a romantic thing. Not often you see that.

OMG YES THIS!!!! It was so fucking nice to have that for once!

On 11/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, Revolver said:

Yeah I had very little interest going into it but I thought they did a very good job. The choreography was amazing. Was kind of leaning back until that bus scene and they had my attention after that. Definitely some flaws here and there but fun enough to not really care at the end.

Same.  Interest in this was fairly meh but I ended up going anyway as I saw more about it and the movie was really fun.  Well done movie truly. 

Spoiler

Wish they hadn't killed the main guy again though.  Fucking Marvel villains man. :rotfl: