Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Completed Games (2021)

Just completed Steven Universe: Unleash the Light the other day! Very cute. :unkeke:

31) :gba: Metroid Zero Mission (9:23:12, 100%)

32) :gba: Metroid Fusion (07:05:00, 100%)

33) :3ds: Metroid: Samus Returns (14:35:14, 100%, Normal Mode)

34 :gb: Donkey Kong '94. (100%)

35) :3ds: Hey Pikmin!

36) :3ds: Kirby Triple Deluxe (100%)

37) :switch: Metroid Dread (12:25:00ish official time, 100% Items)

Actual time's longer because of how the game clock works but it's still too early for my Switch profile to show it. This is a 9/10 game that sinks into 8/10 status every once in awhile.

- Metroid formula still addictive. I had to use guides to find the last 5-10% of items, some of those are ridic

- I love the slide. Samus is fast as fuck and you can really get into a movement rhythm especially once you get new upgrades.

- The EMMI stuff is a flop. The idea was decent enough, but once EMMI catches you, the counter is so difficult to hit properly that you're pretty much dead no matter what. It stops being scary and instead becomes a hindrance as you just wait for EMMI's spawn point to not be in your way.

- Some of the bosses and mini-bosses hit really hard, some of them a bit too hard. Apparently there's secret ways to beat them but I don't think I ever found one, just destroyed my wrist and thumb while fighting them over and over again.

- The story stuff was pretty good, especially since I had played the other games recently.

Story and Ending Spoilers

- Got hype the first time the X showed up

- Also got hype the one time Samus spoke and was pretty much like "I'm a fuck'em all up, no worries

- "Huh, Adam isn't calling Samus "Lady" anymore." I noticed this but didn't see it as a tip-off

- So is Samus the last Metroid now? :x

2 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

- Some of the bosses and mini-bosses hit really hard, some of them a bit too hard. Apparently there's secret ways to beat them but I don't think I ever found one, just destroyed my wrist and thumb while fighting them over and over again.

Spoiler for one of the bosses

There's a way to beat Kraid using only morph ball bombs that the developer stuck in the game. You're only able to do it if you sequence break and get them before the fight. It's fucking cool.

• Shiny 1

6 minutes ago, MT said:

Spoiler for one of the bosses

Hide contents

There's a way to beat Kraid using only morph ball bombs that the developer stuck in the game. You're only able to do it if you sequence break and get them before the fight. It's fucking cool.

Just  checked that out on youtube, I was wondering what the fuck that was for :shiny:

1 - :ps5:Miles Morales: Spider-Man

2 - :ps5: Astro's Playroom

3 - :pc:  Hitman 3

4 - :switch: SNES Online: Super Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario All-Stars version)

5 -  :pc:Mass Effect 1 (Legendary Edition)

6 - :switch: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

7 -  :pc:  Metroid:Zero Mission

8 - :pc: Axiom Verge 2

9 - Another Metroid 2 Remake

10 - (SNES) Super Metroid

11 - :ds: Metroid Fusion

12 - :switch: Metroid Dread

Honorable mention: Doom 64

While I was incredibly frustrated with the E.M.M.I sections, they could have been fixed by increasing the timing window on the counter just slightly. Outside of that, it was a pretty good game. Definitely not my favorite Metroid (that's still Super Metroid), but this definitely has the best controlling Samus by far. I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10.

• Shiny 1

37) :switch: Metroid Dread (12:25:00ish official time, 100% Items)

37a) :switch: Metroid Dread (04:31:51, 30% Items Hard Mode)

Think I destroyed my thumb :rip:

37b) :switch: Metroid Dread (03:20:15 Hard Mode)

Damn, son, actually gonna unlock everything in a Metroid game for once.

37c) :switch: Metroid Dread (03:02:xx Normal Mode)

Awriiight, unlocked all the things now.

37) :switch: Metroid Dread (100%)

38) :switch: :snes: Joe & Mac (Easy)

Congo's Caper was my first SNES game so this was a little nostalgic. I hate the hit detection but it's a short and sweet game. Never let go of the stone wheel.

39) :switch: :snes: Magical Drop 2 (Medium)

I like Tetris Attack a lot more but this was okay too. I beat the Puzzle Mode and then Medium Story mode with every character to get some playtime out of it.

40) :switch: :snes: Spanky's Quest

Okay little Lolo style platformer/puzzle game but I hated it by the last world and save-stated through it because it was starting to rely on cheapness.

41) :switch: :snes: Psycho Dream

Castlevania with bad hit detection and some unfair traps and moments. NSO library sure isn't impressive outside of the obvious choices.

1 - :ps5:Miles Morales: Spider-Man

3 - :pc:  Hitman 3

4 - :switch: SNES Online: Super Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario All-Stars version)

5 -  :pc:Mass Effect 1 (Legendary Edition)

6 - :switch: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

7 -  :pc:  Metroid:Zero Mission

8 - :pc: Axiom Verge 2

9 - Another Metroid 2 Remake

11 - :ds: Metroid Fusion

12 - :switch: Metroid Dread (Normal mode)

12a - :switch: Metroid Dread (100% items, Normal mode)

Some of these items were a bit of a bitch, but Zero Mission had some harder ones. I just wish there was a different button to start the sprint/shinespark than the left stick.

• Like 1

I found that when choosing your direction, you needed to overcorrect the left stick to go diagonally. Shit was annoying

42) :switch: :snes: Super Valis IV

I used save states only at continue points up until the last two levels. On the second last, I used them to respawn with my leveled up Lena already at the beginning (they crank the bullshit up, so no point in going in less than leveled up), and in the last level I used it to respawn after the first boss (easy to beat without getting hit/no point in doing it over and over) and then eventually on the last boss in general, who's bullshit personified and you're mostly not going to beat it without everything going your way.

It was an okay game otherwise, nothing special as an action platformer and most of the annoying bits leading into the last two levels just require using the right special moves or learning the pattern.

43) :switch: :n64: Dr Mario 64 (Both Story Modes)

Nothing will make you feel dumber than Dr Mario tbh

44) :switch: :n64: Yoshi's Story (Every Level)

I played this back in the day but not extensively. Pretty easy, though I did die a few more times than I expected to (a few OHKO enemies, especially a fish in the water level). I like the scavenger hunt aspect of this game and how unlocking levels is based on it, I probably beat the game about 7 or 8 times unlocking them all. Like a solid 6/10 chill platformer.

45) :gbc: Wario Land II (100%)

Last Level hurt my hands and the boss fights can be annoying, but same opinion as last time: fun to play, fun to 100%, interesting mechanics (you can't die, you just lose coins that you can use for completion percentage). I've played two, maybe three, but Wario Land games are historically underrated imo.

• Shiny 1

1) :3ds: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (Completed Hoenn Dex)

2) :switch: Mega Man X(Legacy Collection)

3) :switch: Mega Man X2(Legacy Collection)

4) :switch: Metroid Dread (100%)

Hell of a game.  Really good Super Metroid/Fusion follow-up with a lot of fun exploration and some cool boss fights.  Definitely wasn't bothered by the E.M.M.I.'s, but I did have to look up two of the shinespark secrets because I wanted to confirm they were physically possible the way I was trying to do them.  Part of me wishes the final boss was a tad harder, and I could honestly go for another 3-5 hours of exploration progress, but I think designing it this way will make it a treat for speedrunners, and even though that's not really my thing, I know how it important it is for that community.  Plus, it gives motivation to play through it again even if it's just to bullshit for a few hours like I do with Metroid/Super Metroid every 8 or so months.

Story spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe I'm missing some lore from Fusion or something, but I didn't completely get the "daughter" angle.  Was Samus created by Raven Beak, or was there just some kind of transfer of DNA/organs that connects them?

• Like 1

The last boss on Hard Mode while trying to get the best ending has the difficulty if that's what you're looking for :lurk:

• ROFL 1

46) :switch::n64: Mario Kart 64

Golded all Cups and Mirror Mode. This was like playing Mario 64 on 3D All-Stars last year, just slapped the nostalgia goggles right off my face. It's still okay but the track balance isn't great, snaking/rubber-banding CPUs are annoying as shit and some of the tracks on the higher CCs just throw bullshit at you. I missed the tracks being designed around powerslide boosting the same way newer Mario Karts are :sigh:

1) :switch: Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythmic Adventure Pack #1

2) Final Fantasy V

3) :switch: Chasm

4) :switch: Cosmic Star Heroine

5) :switch: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

6) Final Fantasy V (again)

7) :switch: Diablo II: Resurrected

Honorable mention as I beat Hell difficulty today with my Sorc :nod: Hell Ancients were a headache, took a few tries, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. Take that Baal :smash: Last thing to do tonight with the Sorc is Hell Cows. 

• Like 2

47) :switch: :n64: Winback - Covert Operations (Good Ending)

If this had a short checkpoint system like Uncharted, I'd consider it barely playable. One of the earliest (?) cover systems I remember seeing. Very clunk and blocky to play, I remember feeling the same way when trying it the first time around. Once you get into a rhythm and use save states, it can be fun when playing it as a pseudo puzzle game.

5. Legend of Legaia

Been a long time since I've played this game, but I love the how the battle system in this game, despite it being a bit slow paced. 

• Shiny 1

Been playing too much perpetual online shit lately. My completion count is suffering. XD

17.) :ps5: Guardians of the Galaxy

This game was absolutely hilarious. Wasn't expecting too much going into it after Avengers (different dev, but another one owned by Square-Enix was was expecting the same kind of greedy shit that had) and was pleasantly surprised. This is to Avengers like Jedi Fallen Order was to Battlefront 2. Which is to say a surprisingly well made and properly entertaining single player game with no BS online shit or microtransactions vs a shining example of the worst of those things. They even have multiple skins for each character in the game that are all earnable IN THE GAME. Even the pre-order and deluxe edition skins are just "early unlocks" and you can find them all in the game from what I understand. Good mix of original designs and comic and movie inspired ones.

Game had a really good story and it featured a LOT of characters I wouldn't have expected to see in this and the humor was great. Tons of good banter between everyone while exploring and in combat, and didn't really notice much repeating of combat lines until later in the game. Would really like to see them do another one of these. Great music too, and they even recorded an entire 80's metal-style album by a fictitious band called Star-Lord for the game that was actually halfway decent. Combat was a little clunky to start but smoothed out later on. Some of the button command stuff was a little awkward (mostly for Peter's own abilities), but not terrible. Game also ended up being a fair bit longer than I was expecting. There were a couple places I was expecting it to end and then it just kept going. Not in a bad way though. The whole thing was pretty well put together and had solid pacing. They overused their sliding mechanic thing a fair bit though. They must have been really proud of those sequences. XD

Gonna do a 2nd quick play through to wrap up the handful of trophies I had left over and maybe try some different dialogue options.

1 - :ps5: Miles Morales: Spider-Man

3 - :pc:  Hitman 3

4 - :switch: SNES Online: Super Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario All-Stars version)

5 - :pc: Mass Effect 1 (Legendary Edition)

6 - :switch: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

7 - :gba: Metroid:Zero Mission

8 - :pc: Axiom Verge 2

9 - :pc: Another Metroid 2 Remake

11 - :gba: Metroid Fusion

12 - :switch: Metroid Dread (Normal mode)

12a - :switch: Metroid Dread (100% items, Normal mode)

12b) - :switch: Metroid Dread (100% items, Hard mode)

Hard mode wasn't really all that tough. The only real thing I did differently, besides getting 100% item completion before the final boss, is use one of the secret Kraid kills, which was neat to see. Last boss was a real pushover once I remembered how to beat each of his forms.

• Shiny 1

18.) :pc: Vampire the Masquerade: Parliament of Knives

Another text adventure style game. Stats were a lot more condensed in this one than in the other two, and fewer starting clan options, but the storytelling was a LOT tighter which made the story a lot more compelling IMO. Probably my favorite of the three so far. Relatively high replay value like the other two as well. Really wish these had music to go with them at least. Didn't realize how much music in a game did for me until I played these. XD

19.) :pc: Road 96

This was a fun little indie game. Kind of a procedurally generated, rogue-lite Telltale game is the best way I can think of to describe it. XD

You play as a randomly generated teenager who is attempting to flee the fictional country of Petria due to the totalitarian ruler there who routinely disappears teens to the iron mines. You have you make your way to the border by any means possible (calling for a taxi, taking the bus, stealing a car, and of course hitchhiking). The greater story unfolds around the cast of characters present in the game that you run into on the road, many with connected pasts who are instrumental to the fate of the country. Who you run into and when is never set (which is where the procedural part of the game comes into play) and as you try to make it to the border you can die or be arrested in the process and your journey is cut short, where upon you switch to playing as a different teenager on the same mission, keeping only a handful of skills you had the potential to pickup along the way (and there's the rogue-lite element).

Choices you make throughout each run will eventually start to effect the story based on whether your choices and actions support people voting for a new leader in a typically rigged election, pushing for change by force, or maintaining the status quo. Even if you manage to escape the country, you will proceed to play as other teens until the date progresses towards election day and the fate of the country comes to bear.

Was a pretty interesting game overall. Nothing super fancy in terms of mechanics, but the characters are unique and a bit over the top and I had a lot of fun playing it. There are some pretty heavy themes going on mixed in with some rather ridiculous events that really kept things going and each run felt radically different at times.

47) :switch: :n64: Winback - Covert Operations (Good Ending)

48) :ps3: :arcade: Super Hang-On (100% Trophies)

Haven't popped a trophy in forever (especially since the Genshin Impact patches aren't exactly making it possible to pop new trophies anyways). Knocked this one out quick. Fun super-scaler, I was never an arcade kid so there's still an 8-10 year old me who's blown away by how smooth and cool looking late '80s arcade super scalers look.

20.) :pc: Halo (Master Chief Collection version)

This is a game I'd honestly thought I would never play, but I've had the game pass thing for a few months and I tried and didn't hate the Halo: Infinite multiplayer so I said fuck it. Might as well play through them. First game expectedly dated but wasn't the worst FPS experience I've ever had. The graphical improvements were pretty nice for the re-release. Had the button that lets you switch between the redone and original graphics and boy was it noticeable when I accidentally hit it a few times. :rotfl: 

It's always a little jarring seeing just how far graphics have come over the past 20 years or so because in my head I always felt like it looked like the nicer version and then you see what that stuff actually looked like after so long and it's just such a stark contrast.

Game was fine. Didn't hate it. Probably won't ever play it again though. At least interested enough to play the rest of them.

• Like 1

21.) :pc: Halo 2 (Master Chief Collection)

Well that was a bullshit "ending". Jesus. Glad I never played these before because waiting 3 years after that shit would have been annoying as fuck. Game was an improvement over the first one by a fair amount. Story was better overall and some of the cutscenes were pretty cool. The dual wielding functionality for smaller guns was fun. Still kind of floating in the realm of "this was fine". I think Destiny probably ruined these games for me since all the core gameplay just feels like that only slowed way down. XD

• Like 1

22.) :pc: Halo 3 (MCC)

This one was better. More solid game overall than the first two imo. Felt like it looked worse than 2 though just because that one had all the nice cut scenes and this one didn't so seeing characters that were only in cutscenes in 2 have normal character models for 3 was kind of jarring. XD

The sequences where Cortana and/or the Gravemind (I think that's what it was called) would talk in your head were interesting and kind of fun, and the driving bits in the game were pretty entertaining. 

• Like 1

23.) :pc: Halo 3: ODST (MCC)

This one started out kind of meh but really took off as it went. Some great sections in it. The side story that built up as you found the files was probably the most interesting part though. Was more invested in what was going on there than I was the main story. XD

• Like 1

Not an extensive list, but some I completed in 2021!

:ps4: Untitled Goose Game
:ps4: The Last of Us: Part II
:ps4: Steven Universe: Unleash the Light

:ps4: Okami (HD)

• Like 1