Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mera'din

Completed Games (2020)

3 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong: I loved MGSV.  And I do think it was a fairly natural evolution/reaction to the backlash about IV's heavy cinematics.  But as a long time fan of the series, I can see how it's very unlike what the series had presented before.  But I never felt like Ground Zeroes was a large departure.  To me, it's the bridge that makes the leap in MGSV seem smaller.

Agreed.  Good way of putting it.  That's pretty much what I was thinking. :nod:

Part of it is I was never a fan of the direction the MGS games started heading in the first place. The first is by far my favorite, and I've been slowly losing interest since 3. I played 4 for the sheer spectacle of it, and had completely lost interest after playing Portable Ops and seeing Peace Walker and didn't have much interest in Ground Zeroes in the first place. Everything I saw about what they were doing with 5 put me off even before Konami went full retard and catapulted Kojima. Ultimately there's a lot of little things that rubbed me the wrong way for long enough that I eventually became unable to reconcile it and gave up.

1) :ps4: One Piece - Pirate Warriors 3

1a) :ps3: Journey

2) :ps3: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD (Platinum)

3) :ps3: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (Platinum)

4) :ps3: Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots (Platinum)

5) :ps3: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (Platinum)

6) :ps3: Zone of the Enders HD (Platinum)

7) :ds: Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

8 ):ps3: Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner HD (Platinum)

9) :ps3: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (100%)

10a) :ps4: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (100%)

10b) :ps4: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Platinum)

My collection of MGS Platinums is complete :rip:

V's gameplay really really grew me on, I never got tired of playing the game so much as got tired playing some of the main missions. Side-ops are where all the fun is at, main missions and especially boss encounters sucked a lot of the fun out of the game. The story was starting to grow on me but then it wasted too much time before Konami cut them off (partly Kojima's fault too, so many main missions barely moved the story forward, shit like that should've been relegated to side-ops and the main story should've focused on important things only). My Peace Walker crew got a shitty deal in this game and I'm not happy with those story elements.

Also, the ending...

... was a waste. Venom Snake is a decent enough concept, but having it be a random/"you" was so lame. I would've preferred it be Chico (he at least would've had enough trauma and anguish to dream up seeing Paz again).

Also, everything with Eli felt like a huge waste and why were we in Africa and there's no Solidus and no Jack the Ripper.

It's like a 9.5/10 video game but a 7/10 Metal Gear Solid game

You should check out the missing stuff on YouTube, there's a bunch of animatronic/cinematic stuff that never made it into the game. An entire chapter based on Eli and what happened with him after the "main game". It's still not complete, but it is interesting to see the rest.

Ye, I already did, I was reading the old center thread and saw you linked it

Oh ya, forgot to say, Mission 43 is def one of the best moments in any of the Metal Gear games

11) :ps3: Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (100%)

Nice quickie play. I hear people glowingly talk about how the game is about platforming and then it rewards you with speedier segments after you do them, but tbh I still find a lot of this game more frustrating than not. A lot of "GOTCHA" traps and pitfalls that you couldn't see coming, hitbox is a little too big or weirdly positioned. Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone had it right, everything else is okay to annoying.

• Like 1

1. :ps4: Final Fantasy VII Remake

I put a massive post about this in the Final Fantasy General thread.  I'll just put the summary intro/outro posts here.

I'm just going to say right now that all around, this game was fantastic.  If I want to get nitpicky, which I certainly did at points in the game, I could pull out some flaws that bothered me which I'll cover here.  Almost all of these are down things to do with the music or plot changes.  But overall, I could understand or appreciate most of the changes because it facilitates the my main judgment of this game: it pays massive homage and respect to the original while forging its own path that is satisfying on its own.

Overall, I'll withhold an official opinion on the future of the series until I see it play out. But on its own, the Final Fantasy VII Remake was damn near a masterpiece. It had me deep deep deeeeeeep in the feels with all sorts of nostalgia and appreciation for the new context. The battle system was incredibly handled and loads of fun to experiment with. The music was superb. And regardless of complaints about differences, the story was told so well and incredibly compelling, with some of the best character work I've had the pleasure to experience in a video game. Whether as an old fan or someone new to it, I highly recommend this, and can't wait to start digging into the replay content just so I can experience it all over again.

• Like 1

12) :ps3: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (100%)

Another nice quickie. Sonic still feels a little too slide-y, Super Sonic can be a boon or a curse, music's still awesome. Also quite hilariously earned 2 psnprofiles-grade Ultra Rare trophies from this game. For comparison's sake, of the 6 Metal Gear Solid games I 100%ed, I only earned three psnprofiles Ultra Rares

13) :switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country

First Xenoblade game I basically did everything in (aight, I didn't get to Level 100 or max out each character's Arts but I'd beaten the game, beaten all the unique monsters, beaten the superbosses, crafted all the stuff, raised all the affinity levels to max, so there's no real reason to do it), might end up being the only one because I always burn out in the end-game of them because there's so much goddamn stuff to do. Took me 30 someodd hours all together.

If this was cheaper, it'd be a really good game to check out for those on the fence about Xenoblade's playstyle, it's turbo-charged so you level up crazy fast and the party is restricted to 9 people (they're split up into teams of three, you control one team and the other two are handled by the AI), but probably not so good for getting a feel on Xenoblade 2's story since it's a prequel but also glosses over so much of the setting that the story probably doesn't make a lot of sense without the full game.

Story-wise, it was mostly just there. It didn't tell us much that we didn't already know. There was cool cameos. The ending segment was really good and gave me a few feels. I would've ended the game at a different point to tie it into Xenoblade 2 more but that's just nitpicking. Had a good time, even with how expensive it was. I got the Season Pass version, just over $40, so not only did I get a 30 someodd hour game out of it, but extra quests and S-S-S-S-S-Swimsuit DLC necessitating another future playthrough of XB2, so it does actually feel worth it all things considered :lurk:

Got FF7 Remake shipping next week (or next-next week) so I'm trying to do a quick runthrough of OG FF7 on the PSP (no sidequests or things like that, just beating the game) so it's fresh.

14) :ps1: :psp: Final Fantasy VII

Good game.

- Saw a lot of Mario RPG in this. The pre-rendered backgrounds, some of the sound effects, how they handled the comedic parts, the random mini-games

- Surprised at how memorable the music was, I'd only played this game part-way through once like 10-15 years ago and I remember a lot of the tracks

- Definitely one of the best Final Fantasy settings I've played. Guns, planet-destroying corporations and other '90s edgy shit

- Was way more into the story this time. Back in the day I really dug the stuff with Shinra and thought the Sephiroth stuff bogged the game down because everything basically degenerated into "Let's just follow Sephiroth" (I still thought part of the post-Midgar stuff was bogged down by this) but I miss those over-complex-just-to-be-complex JRPG storylines and some of those plot twists got me WHOA-ing

- Good cast of characters. Cid's my favourite, I even managed to start caring about Cait Sith and I wasn't expecting that to happen

- Mostly liked the ease and customization of the Materia System, but I hate "All" Materia being necessary and limited

- Fucking loved Limits

- I hated how some of the bosses and some of the late-game harder monsters would basically one-shot a party member or smash your HP down to nothing before you have a chance to do anything, it's cheap, especially with old-school no save-points and no-fast-forwarding cut-scenes.

- Super Nova is obnoxious as fuck :rotfl:

- The mini-games didn't do that much for me. I recognize they're a solid addition to games like this in that era but these days they're just shallow, control badly, and are annoying to suddenly be thrust into if they have a one-time reward and you don't know how to play them or how they handle.

- I didn't really side-quest at all, saving the 100% run for the PS4 port/Trophies

• Shiny 1

So I guess you didn't breed yourself a gold chocobo?

Which characters did you use the most?

You played on a PSP? Was it the PSOne Classic version? I think that's on the PS Store and playable on PSP/Vita/PS3... I bought it in a sale a few years ago but I don't think I ever actually played it on my Vita. But I recall other PSOne games having absolutely awful load times. I don't think I could have made it through all of FF7 with those load times :rip: 

No Gold Chocobo, that frustration's for when I do the PS4 version ;)

Cloud/Tifa/Aeris, then Cloud/Tifa/Vincent when I had the choice. Vincent's Limits actually fucked me over a few times so I probably should've stopped using him, but his character design is cool :lurk:

I really dug Cid as a character and I might just use him more instead of one of the other two on the PS4 playthrough. Maybe Cait Sith too. Hard to replace Tifa though, her Limits building on each other was really fun (also giant anime boobs = you're in my squad automatically no matter what game it is :x )...

I think it was PSOne Classic version but I'm using Custom Firmware so I'm not totally certain how close it is to the real thing. Would take a few seconds to detect the memory card and Disc 3 was chuggy in general whenever Mako green was on-screen. Don't think I noticed significant load times with anything else.

Gonna replay FF9 on PSP at some point too because 100%ing it requires speedrunning the game for Steiner's Ultimate weapon and I kinda wanna play it it similarly to the way I did FF7 before trophy-hunting

Cloud/Yuffie/Vincent were my go-to characters once I had them all available, as I recall... though I liked Cid as well. Vincent is cool as heck and I've always been a sucker for ninjas in FF games so Yuffie was an obvious choice. These days if I went back and played it, I'd probably give Cait Sith more play time. I like the goofier characters and the randomness.

I remember load times being very bad in FF9 :uhoh:

I think Cait Sith is a character that is universally hated first playthrough, and gains more clout with each successive playthrough.  I know I learned to love him more each time I played.

Cloud/Yuffie/Vincent was always a staple party for me.  But again, I've played the game so many times, that I have a lot of beloved party setups. Basically, and combo of Cloud/Red/Yuffie/Vincent/Cid/Tifa was my usual go-to, but nowadays, I tend to try and mix up my party enough to keep some extra flavor.  I agree about both Tifa and Vincent's limit breaks.  Tifa's are vital, whereas Vincent's are a frustrating sacrifice in the name of badassery.

Yuffie's actually always been my #1 waifu in the series, despite the hate she used to get from the fanbase, even if her limits are kinda weak.

Totally agree on the setting, though.  No FF setting has come quite close to capturing that same magic for me, despite having much love for the other games.  There's just something about the cyber-punkish, dystopian background with supernatural, fantastical elements and properties that just makes it stand out.  The Remake capitalizes on this so hard.

I actually started a new game of FF9 on the Switch last year.  Thinking I need to get back to crushing that this summer.

15) :ps4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Platinum)

101:00:50 was the final time on my file.

12.) :ps4: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Completely forgot to post in here when I first beat it since I was actively talking about it in the other topic. Got the Platinum last night and cleaned up the Play Log for full 100% completion earlier today. Think my final time at Plat was around 101.5 hours. Closer to 103 when I finished everything else. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with future entries. Not looking forward to how long it will probably take. XD

• Like 1

13.) :pc: Quantum Break

I wanted to play this one back when it came out, but between it being XBox (or Windows Store) exclusive, and hearing some iffy things about it, I ended up skipping on it and more or less forgetting it existed. After playing through most of Remedy's other games after loving Control, it went on sale on Steam so I finally bought it. Glad I did. Was really fun, and had a pretty interesting story (though a mildly annoying ending that begs for a sequel, much like Alan Wake). You can REALLY see the evolution of their game engine too going from Alan Wake, to this and then ultimately Control. This gameplay was definitely a stepping stone to what they did in Control overall. Not that means it was bad by any stretch of the imagination. A little clunky at times, but very enjoyable overall. I'm a fan of a lot of the actors they used in it too so that definitely helped.

The live action "episodes" in between each act that mostly followed side characters were really engaging too which I was surprised by. Though how you watch them is a bit awkward. It legitimately streams it in-game from their servers which makes the quality vary at times. Really wish their was a download option (though it would apparently be like 40GB of data) just in case they ever close the server they're on down. Though I suppose they're probably on YouTube at this point too. :shrug: 

14.) :ps4: The Last of Us: Remastered

Got through it faster than I thought I would so all set for when 2 comes out. Will be able to play through the prequel thing too which I never got to play before. Used a guide this time to make sure I got all the collectibles which definitely boosted my completion for the game vs the PS3 version (had 6% trophies for that and like 30% this time). If I wanted to go through the game again on New Game+ I could probably manage a fair bit more, but not going to bother since I know I'm not going to go for the Platinum anyway. Stupid ass multiplayer bullshit. >:|

Game is still fantastic. Held up really well overall. Load time even on PS4 when you're starting up the game is still pretty horrendous though. XD

The Prequel DLC is fun.  It's a bit different in that it's more cinematic and environmentally interactive, but it's enjoyable.  Definitely helps fill in some gaps for Ellie, too.

I technically beat Terraria because I killed the Moon Lord once. 

15.) :ps4: Persona 5 Royal

Jesus I think that was longer than P4 Golden. 225 hours. Got the platinum in one play through though so that was nice. Not nearly as grindy as Golden was (or the original P5 for that matter from what I've seen of its list). Great game though. Combat mechanics were stellar. Overall, I think I liked it better than 4 though it felt like some of the more intricate story elements got flubbed a little (mostly with the added stuff for Royal). All around enjoyable experience.

Also did end up playing through Last of Us: Left Behind. Solid little DLC story. Easier than the main game overall, and it feels like it ended in an awkward place but it was a nice distraction while waiting for Last of Us 2.

1) :ps4: One Piece - Pirate Warriors 3 (Platinum)

1a) :ps3: Journey (Platinum)

16) :ps3: :segacd: Sonic CD (100%)

2. :ps4: Last of Us Part 2

Eh, The visuals were amazing, game play was enjoyable nothing frustrating, but the story was a bit meh. 

Spoiler

I felt the game could of ended after the confrontation in the Theater. Sure they didn't kill Abby, but they took everyone she cared about away from her. Just makes Tommy/Ellie no better or different than she is. I didn't like Abby either, as Mel put it she's a PoS. Actually to be honest, this paints Tommy/Ellie to be worse than Abby to me. 

17) :ps4: Infamous: Second Son (Expert Evil Playthrough/Platinum)

I think I originally played this not long after playing the other two games, so I was a little less impressed with it then. I definitely appreciated it more this time, I liked Delsin and Reggie both representing the opposite side of the old "X-Men" argument, I used the other powersets more than I did the first time, actually 100%ed it again even though I didn't really need to. It's a nice, fun easy game. Badass evil ending too

18) :ps4: Infamous: First Light (Platinum)

Pretty fun. Trophies were a little challenge-heavy (the bane of my Infamous 1 Platinum existence) but the challenges also weren't too bad. I liked how Fetch could temporarily take over some enemies. I can see why people thought this was better than Second Son, it was hard to go back to Delsin (I tried for extra points in the challenge mode), and it felt like it was just getting going when it ended. I'm impressed that Sucker Punch figured out how to make a Flash game and kinda sad they never will because they're working with Marvel now (I will get to Spider-Man eventually and I assume it'll be great).

16.) :ps4:  The Last of Us Part 2

Well that was certainly something. Gameplay improved upon in almost every way (except character skill upgrades) over the first, it has the most amazing Accessibility features I've EVER seen in a game, and I can honestly say (ironically enough) if THIS one had an online multiplayer mode, I might actually consider it (assuming they didn't drown half the trophy list in ridiculous BS for it). The story was a bit... much? It was like 5-10 hours too long at least (think my original playthrough of 1 was like 20 hours? This one was 40). Not that I don't love long games, but the story REALLY lost focus by the end and should have ended before the last 'section' of the game (which seems to be the general consensus), and it felt even longer because it was a mostly miserable experience emotionally. The only saving grace were pretty much all of the flashback scenes in that regard. Not to say that I didn't like it, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Visually the game was beautiful, but it was SO hyper violent that there was a lot of tactless and tasteless stuff going on. If I headshot a dude, I REALLY don't need the ability to find his corpse and see exactly where and how big of a hole I made in his head with ridiculous detail (to name the least of it). Considering some of the controversy Naughty Dog has been having to deal with, this level of detail is beyond unnecessary imo. There was a particular fight scene where I can only imagine the expression on my face as I went through it. It went from fun to obnoxiously unpleasant pretty damn quick in places.

The story really was a bit of a mess. The entire Santa Barbra part should have been cut, and some of the fight between Ellie and Abby should have been shuffled to the theater part. It should have continued from there with the farm house section as a finisher, but then shuffle the last scene of her talking to Joel into there after she wakes up in the middle of the night and is packing to go. Give her the realization she gains at the end from that scene here and have her decide not to go and end on a high night with a healthy release of her desire for revenge. What they did instead felt really fucking shallow and pointless. After they pressed on, I honestly expected them to kill one or both of them by the end and that really might have been better. Feels like that last bit more or less neutered 90% of Ellie's character growth for no actual reason, leaving her destitute and morally and emotionally bankrupt 'just cuz'. There were so many options available to them if they felt they really needed the Santa Barbra section and they took none of them. I was leaning towards liking Abby more by the end (with caveats) and that section pretty much just guaranteed it.

I also feel like the game might have had a better/stronger impact if they had made up go through Abby's section first and then Ellie's. Going through Abby's second just made it extra depressing with about half the impact it could have had otherwise. Instead of "Murder your way through all the assholes that killed Joel because fuck them, THEN learn about who they are and maybe feel bad about it" it could have been "Here's the assholes who killed Joel, try to see things from their side and build an emotional connection. Oh no! Someone is murdering them all!" before seeing Ellie's side (since it was kind of obvious the murder spree was in the cards all along). To me it would have had a stronger impact that way and you would have got that twinge of "Are they Pulling an MGS2 on me??" for half the game. Conversely, Abby's stuff could have been a separate entity entirely (not necessarily DLC released later though that probably would have been fine, but a separate mode you unlock after the game to give it a bit of its own identity. Could have cleaned up the meandering story of the main game a bit that way too).

I've been trying to avoid spoilers because I want to give this a shot on my own.  But my friend was saying about 20 hours in, some big story moment happened that pissed him off enough that he put down the game for now.  I'm assuming it's some kind of twist or something major that changes the scope of the game based on context clues.

Do you have any idea what part he's talking about and if so, did you have a similar reaction?

I THINK I might know what he's talking about, but it's hard to say based on a pure time mark because I tend to play games slower than other people. I also don't think I came across anything in particular that pissed me off to ever stop playing (though I did take a couple breaks due to just how overwhelming depressing the tone of the story is 95% of the game) or that I felt changed the scope of the game. The tone of the game is pretty consistent (which isn't a good thing ultimately I think), and it more outstays its welcome than anything IMO. I still consider it a good game, it just needed some better editing at the very least. The game is fundamentally better than the first by pretty solid leaps over the first one imo (though quite a bit easier most the time at least in part due to them making so many improvements), but from a story perspective I think it falls a bit short of the first in tonal quality and focus.

Also, mild gameplay spoiler strictly about enemy types:

Depending on how you feel about depictions of violence to animals, you may not want to bother. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I know it can be for a lot of people and as soon I saw an enemy with a dog at one point, my first thought was "Well I see where this is going and it already feels unnecessary". 

• Like 1

1) (NES) Strider

2) (NES) Metroid

3) (NES) Super Mario Bros. Special

4) :pc: Black Mesa

5) :pc: Doom: Eternal

6) :ps4: The Last of Us 2

There was a section of the latter half of the game that, as I was playing it, I felt it went on way too long. But looking back on it, I don't really know what they could've cut out of it. It all made sense by the end of the game, but it just seemed to drag for a good chunk of it.

think I know which fight Kyle was talking about where the violence got a bit much. I had to grimace and look away, myself. I'm not really sure what @Psycho666Soldier's friend saw that turned him off, though.

I don't know if this was the main message, but I think a big part of it was that revenge just leaves you empty, and living with hatred that strong just sort of takes everything away from you. I really thought the game would've ended with Ellie and Dina happy on their farm, so I was kinda upset that it kept going from there. 

I completely agree with what you mean about Abby's stuff being better off as DLC. The game with just Ellie's stuff was pretty long, although I think the brother/sister pairing (the Scars) wouldn't have made much sense had we not gone into her story during the rest of the game.

Edit: I didn't even pick up on this. I wonder if it's true, or just wishful thinking?

Edited by MT

Oh damn, that's smooth as hell if that's true. I can totally get behind that.

I definitely had focused on the missing fingers and didn't even catch the bracelet. More specifically, I never noticed it missing during the Santa Barbara part of the game so if I had noticed it at the end I would have just assumed it was always there. I was also more focused on her face than anything. She looked so broken and defeated it was hard to say. I noticed she didn't seem to be injured and lacked visible weapons, but the trip from the coast back to the farm would likely have taken MONTHS so I wasn't expecting her to be injured by then. Also, it seems weird that all of her stuff specifically was still there (there was even a jacket or something still hanging in another room) if she had moved back to Jackson and been there already especially considering they chose to focus on the record that they had listened too before Tommy showed up in the earlier part. I could see her potentially leaving her art stuff and guitar behind with as broken as she probably felt, but the records and what not just feels like a stretch.

Either way, I really like when stories are left slightly open to interpretation like this, it makes discussions MUCH more interesting than something that is cut and dry obvious.

As far as the Abby stuff, you would have never seen Yara as Ellie, and they wouldn't have really needed to explain Lev until they put out Abby's stuff really. Would have just been a mystery of "Why is Abby with one of the Scars now?" that would then get explained when you play that part. Wouldn't have been much different than not knowing anything about the "friend" that Ellie mentions a few times in the first game until playing Left Behind. Ultimately I'm not complaining though, I really enjoyed Abby's part of the game and Lev was an excellent character.

3. :psp: Final Fantasy V 

Did the four job fiesta for the 2nd year in a row, but actually finished it this time. 

• Shiny 1

1. :ps4: Final Fantasy VII Remake

2. :ps4: Death Stranding

It's kind of crazy to think that these are the only two games I've beaten so far this year, but I guess I've been playing a decent amount of unbeatable games or ones that are online-focused.  But I finally beat this game.  Got the Platinum trophy, too, which I'm pretty sure is only my second one.  It was actually fairly easy if you've already put all the time into it I did.  Just tedious.

Overall, I kinda compare this game to Final Fantasy XV.  There's a great engine and gameplay style being employed, with a big open world that you can take a lot of time to explore.  But there's not really enough in the world to make it consistently interesting.  The difference for me is FFXV still made the open-world part feel satisfying and rewarding to explore.  Death Stranding's world...kinda doesn't.  Likes are useless when not for the sake of leveling a location up, so the lost cargo becomes an endeavor of diminishing returns in most cases.  The memory chips and the lore is cool, but there's only so many mountain peaks and interesting areas where you'll find something like that to really make it worth your while.  And I hate hate hate how cut and paste a lot of the game is.  The distribution centers all reuse the same models and animations, with the same cookie-cutter dialogue templates, and it contributes to the "low reward" factor.  I also feel like the stealth was only really engaging the first few times.  After that it just became tedious.  The majority of the boss fights offering little in the way of variance didn't help either.

All of this became more painfully obvious when I came back to it after putting it down for a couple months.  Before, I saw the shortcomings and was still pretty into connecting all the centers and 100%-ing everything.  But it was almost enough to make me give up on the game when I came back.  That said, I decided to plow through the story and...I ended up getting hooked again.

The story was, surprisingly, pretty tame and coherent compared to the MGS storyline.  Stuff that's still overly complex, but actually makes a good amount of sense and is told pretty straight-forward once the info is out there.  You do need some of the interviews and reports to put together the whole story, but even without that stuff, the event of the last few chapters actually come together pretty clearly, even if you don't remember every detail from earlier parts.  There weren't a lot of twists that you couldn't see coming in some way, but the big one definitely made me drop my jaw.  While I feel the story wasn't spliced into the gameplay enough to really make you grow with the characters, the final moments end up being pretty emotional.

Death Stranding isn't perfect, and definitely not for everybody.  I think what Kojima has is an excellent engine and a base idea that could be expanded into future entries that really take advantage of the possibilities.  The game feels a bit rushed as far as the actual content that fills up your game clock.  But with a few more story moments mixed into the entire game and a world that's actually interesting and rewarding to explore, I could see myself falling in love. 

• Like 2

1) (NES) Strider

2) (NES) Metroid

1) (NES) Strider

2) (NES) Metroid

7) (SNES) BS: The Legend Of Zelda (3rd Quest)

This is basically an retelling of the first Zelda game, but done on the SNES. It was originally on the Satellaview add-on that Japan got that we never did. Originally it was downloaded and only available to play for a limited time each week, with certain events happening at certain times. The version I played took that part out and made it one whole game. The overworld is slightly different, the dungeons are different (and in different spots). It was an interesting thing to play though but incredibly easy. I don't think I ever got close to dying. One thing I thought was kinda neat near the end:

Instead of having to go to a separate place to find the final dungeon, it actually starts in the very first cave you go into to get the sword. The old man is unconscious, and Ganon appears to whisk him away.

There's a "4th quest" that's out there too, I downloaded a ROM of it earlier, but haven't started it yet.

19) :ps4: Detroit: Become Human (Platinum/100%/Secret Ending)

Platinum'ed, 100%ed all nodes (which isn't part of the Platinum) and popped the secret ending to finish it off.

I think the game's special the first one or two times you play it, and unlocking a new (non-awful) scene you haven't seen before is good shit, but the game doesn't hold up as well when you're replaying chapters or sets of chapters over and over to unlock each node.

Favourite Ending

If you lose the Revolution but took the Dirty Bomb from North and then detonate it, Markus will shed his human skin for good and proclaim freedom while Hillary Trump is letting the world know how fucked they are on the news. Also if Connor goes deviant and you capture the Cyberlife facility, you'll basically have millions of Androids launching a world war on the humans.

Also best ending for Kara and Co is the Don't Sacrifice anyone/"Welcome to Canada" ending at Customs, second one I got after my fucky original ending ;_;

Worst Endings

There's like 5 or 6 different ways that Todd can beat Alice to robo-death early in the game and that's game over for the Kara storyline

You can reject Alice at Jericho when you figure out she's an Android and legitimately just abandon her there when the abandoned freighter comes under attack if Connor finds Jericho

But maybe the absolute worst, if Kara and Alice are captured and sent to the robot camps, there's a point where a guard shoots a robot in line and orders another nervous robot to drag it into the dumping area. Kara can volunteer to do it instead, and then climb on board a dump truck and pretend to be deactivated and escape on her own, leaving Alice in robot-Auschwitz (if you fail to liberate the camp as Markus, she will be disassembled too). There's a post-credits scene where Kara will be walking around in public and then see the magazine cover of the Alice robo-daughter and presumably guilt-tripping so hard she divides by zero

Most intriguing

The Cyberlife vs Kamski shit in the background is super-interesting. Kamski either knew about deviancy or programmed it in himself, one of the endings has Cyberlife trying to maneuver Connor into being the Deviant Leader. Markus was also a personal gift from Kamski to Carl Manfred after Carl's accident, and Carl very much raised Markus' mentally as if he was his son, poking and prodding his AI and sort of pushing Markus further and further into being human. Markus seems to have the special ability to spread rA9 in a much stronger fashion than everyone else (he's basically waving his hand and turning mass amounts of Androids in Freedom March, everyone else has to either make physical contact or suffers some of kind of fucked up situation that awakens them). I think Kamski set this all off on purpose, and while he plays it cool in the secret ending, will probably do it again in that specific outcome

• Like 1
  • Shiny 1

20) :ps3: :Genesis: Streets of Rage 2

I popped all the single player trophies (one of them was scoring 800k points on Hardcore mode, which was way not fun but save-scummable). Still not technically done with what I want to do with the game, there's a few easy online trophies to pop assuming I can find someone on PSTrophies.

This is about what I remember of that era of beat'em up on the SNES. First few levels are fun, then it starts getting not-fun. The flying enemies are total bullshit and the health bars getting longer and longer makes things more aggravating. I beat it on Normal and then did the Hardcore mode trophy with Axel, then played a few rounds with Max (love his power, especially when you German Suplex someone and they die or a huge chunk of their health goes), Blaze (I like her flipping dash move) and about 10 seconds of Skate (way too weak for what I like). I think weaponry is a bit of a gameplay weakness, knives get in the way more than they help and while it's pretty fun to beat down fools with the Pipe or the Katana, you can also probably do more damage with a combo rather than a weapon and sometimes they get in the way too. I also think enemies have a bit too easy of a time hitting you from a different plane but maybe I just wasn't used to using my character that way either.

20a) :ps3: :Genesis: Streets of Rage 2

Found someone to 100% the online trophies with. I also played trough the main game on the easier modes with Max, Skate and Blaze. Blaze seems like the most useful character but Max is still the most satisfying to suplex the shit out of people with

21) :ps4: Contra (Arcade)

I didn't even know there was arcade versions of Contra. I managed to beat this one legitimately without save states. Gunplay felt a bit stiff, like you would have to adjust your aim and then shoot and that lead to some cheap deaths. Was kind of surprised at how short it was even for an arcade game.

22) :ps4: Super Contra (Arcade)

I did use save states on this one, mostly because on the first run I got through the first two levels relatively unscathed. Weapons were better but I still didn't like how it handled. Also I never liked the top-down sections in Contra III and I definitely wasn't a fan of them here.

23) :ps4: Contra (NES)

Saved stated the shit out of this one. The shooting doesn't feel as good as the arcade but everything else does. They definitely tweaked it from the arcade version to make it fairer on the player, a lot more of my deaths when I played it without save states felt like my fault instead of the game setting me up.

24) :ps4: Japanese Contra (NES)

Oh man. Better graphics, slightly harder gameplay, cutscenes, a map screen. All around a better version, I wonder why they cut all this stuff (acks I can guess why they cut the blizzard graphics from the snow level, it's hard to keep track of enemy shots while it's going on, but damn, the rest)

25) :ps4: Super C (NES)

Fast-paced as fuck. Some of the other games I think I could beat without save states if I plugged in the time, this one's probably a no-go. I appreciated the extra stages added on from the arcade version, and that the top-down levels were generally easier because of the lack of power on the NES, but the last stage would be a bitch without Spread-Shot and Save States.

26) :ps4: Operation C (GB)

Impressive as fuck for what it is, how wasn't here like three of these on the Game Boy? Jumping was too touchy tho

27) :ps4: Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)

Still cool as fuck. Shorter than I remember, some bits are easier than I remember too (I have a lot better time controlling the top-down segments). I save-stated again, when I was a kid I could consistently get to the alien heart, with couch co-op we could usually get to the gargoyle. Still had three more bosses to go after that that I'd never seen before, but one was a remake of Super Contra's boss.

28) :ps4: Super Probotector (SNES)

Sure, I'll beat Contra III again for a trophy :nod:

29) :ps4: Probotector (Mega Drive)

30) :ps4: Contra Hard Corps (Genesis/Contra Anniversary 100%)

You can tell they took a lot of cues from Gunstar Heroes on this one. I liked the multiple paths/storylines and all the environmental action going on and loved the early '90s Japanese cyberpunk aesthetic. I think the mini-bosses and bosses had way too much Health especially in comparison to Contra III, bit too much of a Gunstar Heroes thing. Save stated the shit out of this one too, I don't know if I could beat this one without them.

Overall that's a badass collection of games. Might come back to these ones at a later date and try to beat a few of them legit (or at least with extra life codes).

On 8/15/2020 at 8:55 PM, Vic Boss said:

27) :ps4: Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)

Still cool as fuck. Shorter than I remember, some bits are easier than I remember too (I have a lot better time controlling the top-down segments). I save-stated again, when I was a kid I could consistently get to the alien heart, with couch co-op we could usually get to the gargoyle. Still had three more bosses to go after that that I'd never seen before, but one was a remake of Super Contra's boss.

Acks I just beat this one legit, felt p. gud to conquer a game from the youth :bandit:

21-30) :ps4: Contra Anniversary Collection (100%)

31) :ps3: TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled

Really bad remake. The new 3D style's movement is too stiff, adding more directions to attack makes it harder to hit enemies, enemies seem to have an easier time hitting you,, the bosses take forever to beat because they gave them a lot more invincibility animations and patterns where they can't take damage, the sound and music was never really going to measure up to my memories of the SNES version. Making the remake of the Arcade version instead of the SNES version seemed a bit of a waste, the SNES had so much extra shit in it. The sucked out the fun of the game and it's just a game.

This also breaks my 23-game Platinum streak (which itself is a bit of lie because I went back and re-played a few games I didn't finish before), there's a trophy where you have to beat the game on normal mode with one life and it's not nearly fun enough or even fair enough to go for that.

) :ps4: One Piece - Pirate Warriors 3 (Platinum)

32) :switch: Xenoblade Definitive

What a good fucking game. Some of those landscapes are still just beautiful as fuck.

One of my favourite things about is like the first 99% of the game is really well-built, the setting and world make sense, it's still anime weird but you can wrap it up in a nice neat bow, and then in like the last little bit, "NAH MAN, WE GOIN XENOGEARS" and it's completely unnecessary but goddamn if it isn't great :rotfl:

The little add-on isn't what I wanted it to be (I wanted more Xeno-weirdness) but I guess in a way it's satisfying because it focuses more on a character who gets a little left behind story-wise in the original game.

I didn't 100% the achievement list, there's still 10 to do and I only beat the easiest superboss, but I've been playing this on and off too long to want to keep grinding it out atm. I did finish the Collectopedia, the reconstruction, beat all the quests, got all the Heart-to-Hearts

33) :switch: :Snes: Mario All-Stars Super Mario Bros 1

Beat both the normal game and the second quest. Physics and gameplay was just slightly off, World 8-2 and 8-3 kicked my ass when I could mostly make it through pretty easy on the NES. Howevs it did have an in-game save option so I could justify not using save states and pretend like I beat it legitimately :cool:

34) :switch: :Snes: Mario All-Stars Super Mario Bros Lost Levels

Put this one on my tombstone, right next to my Yakuza Kiwami Platinum Trophy.

(Acks the continue system is extremely forgiving in this game, only sending you back to the beginning of the level on a Game Over and since it's the SNES version you can save your progress legit instead of having to re-do it all every time you shut off the game. I beat the game, and then World 9 (easy as fuck), but the bonus worlds = I'm not gonna count'em, the bullshit is pretty extreme already and I'm only in the first level)

35) :switch: :Snes: Mario All-Stars Super Mario Bros 2

YOSHAAAA, I've beaten some form of every mainline Mario game now.

Always been a bit too slide-y for my liking.

36) :switch: :Snes: Donkey Kong Country

101% :bandit:

Still hate the water levels and two later levels where the lights switch on and off.

36) :switch: :Snes: Donkey Kong Country/101%

37) :switch: Super Mario 64/120 Stars

WHEW.

That game hasn't aged too great. Too may modern QOL things missing (bumping off of walls instead of sliding down them made me mad as shit, didn't like how exiting a course took you to the beginning of the castle so it incentivized dying to restart a level which was dumb, having game overs feels really obsolete looking back). I never used to notice the camera back in the day because I was used to it and 64 was my first 3D platformer, but really noticed how bad it was this time around, the camera and Mario's herky-jerky movements (especially when trying to move the opposite direction, half the time he'll swing around in a circle and walk you off an edge that he doesn't automatically grab onto like a modern game) killed me way more than the game itself did. I absolutely effing HATE how Mario slides down a maniac on any small incline.

All that nerd-ass bitching aside, the game set-up is classic, the characters and enemies are classic and I had a pretty fun run-through once I readjusted.