Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Gaming Regrets Mk II

We had a thread about gaming regrets at DBZ Center way back, I think maybe Dez started it... that sounds about right. Surely we all have things we regret, whether it's money wasted on shitty games, games we missed out on because of decisions that are questionable in hindsight (ie, picking one console over another), games we were late to the party on, the list goes on. And a lot of time has passed since we last looked back on our regrettable decisions, so those of us who responded to the original thread probably have new regrets to share. Of course it's perfectly fine to rehash the old regrets too ;) 

I'll get the ball rolling: Even though I still for some reason have a soft spot for the Game Gear, I wish I hadn't agreed to give away my Game Boy + games in order to get a Game Gear. That damn colour screen was just too tempting :sigh: 

• Like 3

:wii: No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle. Bought it full price, beat it just over a day later, was kinda like "Yeah, I should wait for most games to go on sale."

Also part of the reason I love achievements so much is because even games like that will have some artificial replay value because of it.

A console I maybe regret is the sticking with the Gamecube over the PS2, but then again almost everything on the PS2 has been re-released with achievements on later consoles.

Wii U's looking like a bust atm too since almost everything's been re-released on the Switch. Just Mario 3D World, the first Splatoon, and Xenoblade X (which froze on me and doesn't have auto-save, so I'm too spooked to play it) out of what I played is still exclusive.

• Like 1

Trading in my PS1 RPG's for new PS2 games when I was 15. We're talking about Suikoden II, Valkyrie Prfoile, both Lunar's, ect...

As for a buying regret, Fable will be the biggest one for me. Bought the game at full price and 100% the game in 12 hours....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Buying Celebrity Deathmatch.

I bought it, beat it, and sold it to EB in less than 3 hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

A console I maybe regret is the sticking with the Gamecube over the PS2, but then again almost everything on the PS2 has been re-released with achievements on later consoles.

That's one thing I definitely do not regret. The GameCube was fantastic. I'm sure I missed out on some cool PS2 games, but oh well. :heart: :gc: 

1 hour ago, Eizan said:

Trading in my PS1 RPG's for new PS2 games when I was 15. We're talking about Suikoden II, Valkyrie Prfoile, both Lunar's, ect...

When I got my PSX it was a promo: Trade in an SNES + games (I think it was a min. 10 or 12 games) to get a PlayStation. I kinda wish there was a way I could have held on to that SNES collection of mine, but in the end the PSX was so worth it.

• Like 1

When I was like, 8 or 9, I rented Parasite Eve.  It was the first time I actually went through with playing a horror game, and I was really digging it.  For some reason, only hours into the game, I let my friend convince me that the game was too scary, and that I couldn't play it anymore, so I returned it to the rental store.

To this day, I've still never picked it back up, and I've regretted it ever since.

• Like 1

There are rumors that there may be a remaster in the works for it. Apparently Square renewed the trademark for title in the UK or something like that. Would certainly like to see it happen. Always really liked that game. It was really different from a lot of things at the time and even the 2nd one wasn't too bad (never played the 3rd one though. Hell, didn't even know it existed. Gotta love that Sony handheld support. >_> ). 

Otherwise, you can get the original on PS3/PSP/Vita off their store I believe. Definitely worth the play imo.

I'd love to see a remaster of Parasite Eve. It's been so long that I honestly don't remember the game that well, but at the very least I remember liking it quite a bit.

• I regret trading in my SNES and NES with games to buy PS1 games
  • I regret buying Mighty No 9 (steaming pile of shit)
  • I regret not getting an N64 and basically missing that entire generation of games (not that I had a LOT of choice)

I was so in the tank for the PSX that I really didn't give any thought to the idea of also asking my folks for an N64. I'd go over to friend's houses and play N64 and basically just wish I was playing my PSX games instead :lol: I guess I missed out on a lot of good stuff though. 

I do distinctly recall being really jealous of my one friend who had a 3DO. That thing was pretty damn rad for a little while. Glad I never ended up owning one though!

The GameCube was great!

I wince a little over the Wii U, but we still got a heck of a lot out of Mario Kart 8 before it was released on Switch, and now that there are so many good games on Switch it'd have more to compete with now anyway. I'm more annoyed that MK8 Deluxe didn't include more of the old courses or characters, even in DLC form. It feels like they need to do a Smash Bros Ultimate with the next MK game. :nod:

• Like 2

I actually don't have any gaming regrets. I suppose that all my consoles are hidden away rn and I'm not rich enough to game 24/7 but lets see:

I started with a SNES, built up a decent collection that I still have

From that generation, I had a friend with a NES I played periodically and a friend with a Mega Drive. I finally got a MD when the N64 came out so kinda sucked my friends sold their MDs and I couldn't trade but w/e. Also got a Master System at some point with all the games I wanted.

A regret would be that my uncle threw away his Mega CD and 32X instead of giving it to me...

I found an Amstrad CPC464 at a thrift sale. It was expensive for me at the time, like £60, but everything worked. I think I had to ask my Mum for a loan to buy it, she was finally conviced by the fact it came with an actual BOX of games. Got a lot of hours out of that.

Next up, played my cousin's PSX a lot, got a N64 for £1, a PS2 at a decently earlyish time, and the pinnacle of that generation was my Dreamcast I got at launch and was allowed to play early although it was meant to be a birthday present. Got all the games I wanted for that.

Skipped PS3 (glad) and Xbox (glad), got 360 and PS4, zero interest in Xbone, Wii U. I'd like a Switch but w/e too much money not enough friends to play with.

Got Nintendo DS, Wii, Gamecube cheap, years after the fact.

Handheld I just repped the original Gameboy and burned a hole in Pokemon and other RPGs and puzzlers. Upgraded to GBC. Never bought into the rest and don't feel like I missed much (yeyeye PSP fanboys, don't even @ me).

The one singular thing I did not buy that I wanted was a Vectrex. There was one in my local games store I played for free every Saturday and one week I eventually decided to buy it and it was gone. Yes, I could eBay that shit any time, but I feel shame I did not secure it in person. So that's one regret.

Other than that, I hate buying new "in vogue" consoles. Had the SNES, Dreamcast, PS2 and PS4 in vogue and they're genuinely the best consoles ever anyway. Got everything else decent after the fact for cheap.