Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Your Intro To Video Games?

What was the system/game of choice that really got you into games?

I don't honestly know what started it. I know we had an Atari 800, but I don't remember if we had anything before that. I'd say it wasn't until my mom bought my dad a NES for his birthday, when I was 5, that I really, REALLY got into games. I doubt there was a specific game either, but I do remember coming home from the store with a copy of Wrecking Crew and playing that with my parents.

I don't specifically remember, but we did get an NES at some point, I wanna say as a Christmas present. I'm not 100% positive but I assume the first game I played was Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo

C64/DOS games at my cousin's house, and then Mario Bros./Duck Hunt on another relative's NES. Died right away but I was hooked :rotfl: My folks bought me an NES shortly after that first experience with Mario. 

First game/system I played was Mario 3 on NES. Although it wasn't until the SNES when I started really getting into video games. 

First game on SNES obviously was Super Mario World as it was the pack in game. I remember when I got the SNES I got Battleclash for Christmas and was really disappointed I couldn't play it because it required the Super Scope. 

NES.  We had Mario/Duck Hunt/Track and Field.  That shit was awesome.  I definitely played a lot of Mario but I think the first one I really dumped time into was the original Zelda.  I remember sitting around for hours playing that.  I didn't have the map that came with it for some reason and had to just figure shit out.  I remember literally burning every bush I could find to discover secret places. :rotfl:

For PC gaming the one that really got me was Doom 2.  Holy shit that game.  I'll never forget it lol.

5 hours ago, Eizan said:

I remember when I got the SNES I got Battleclash for Christmas and was really disappointed I couldn't play it because it required the Super Scope. 

I miss the Super Scope and it's 9 million batteries. I had Battleclash and that Mario game on Yoshi-back.

Fucking loved how colourful games were in the SNES era

I never had a Super Scope but I did have Mario Paint with the mouse and pad. That was a super fun game to play around in. 

• Like 1

That fly swatter mini-game was serious  business

I started gaming at weird time tbh, the Snes was already out and a few friends had them so I honestly do not know which game was really my first dive into the hobby, it was Either Super Mario Bros. Or Mega-Man X. 

My parents got me an NES when I was 6 (which was 1993 fyi) and a box of a bunch misc. NES titles of which SMB 3 was the most played as the rest were either bad games or didn't work half the time. 

I think it was probably playing Mario/Duck Hunt on a friend's NES, and also occasional last-day-of-term goes on friends' Gameboy (Tetris) or Atari Lynx (who knows what game)... then the friend who had a NES got a game gear, and Lucy and I were obsessed so got one as a joint present for Christmas. :unkeke: Sonic GameGear version jungle level 4eva. We had the AC adapter, and I remember Lucy and I taking turns to try and finally complete the game - it was such a huge accomplishment when we did. :lol:

• Like 1

It's a good thing you had the AC adapter because I think battery life on that thing was something like 2 hours. I got one mainly for Columns. Don't think I played much else on it.

• Like 2

NES at my first neighbor friend's house. Kindergarten maybe? Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.

Duck Hunt also but the parents wouldn't let me use the light gun since I was only like 5 and I was always trying to take things apart. (friends were a few years older)

We didn't have enough money for our own system until 1993 or so and got a Sega Genesis first, with Sonic. We tried it for a bit, didn't like it, took it back and got an SNES with Super Mario All-Stars. Came with Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3 that I played a ton of. Only other game we actually owned was Super Mario World. Played a bunch of other games that I just borrowed from my friends like F-Zero, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jane said:

I think it was probably playing Mario/Duck Hunt on a friend's NES, and also occasional last-day-of-term goes on friends' Gameboy (Tetris) or Atari Lynx (who knows what game)... then the friend who had a NES got a game gear, and Lucy and I were obsessed so got one as a joint present for Christmas. :unkeke: Sonic GameGear version jungle level 4eva. We had the AC adapter, and I remember Lucy and I taking turns to try and finally complete the game - it was such a huge accomplishment when we did. :lol:

I had a Game Boy but when I saw a friend's Game Gear I wanted one *so* bad. Had to give up my Game Boy for it. I guess I mostly regret that choice, but I did also have a lot of fun with a handful of Game Gear games.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, MT said:

It's a good thing you had the AC adapter because I think battery life on that thing was something like 2 hours. I got one mainly for Columns. Don't think I played much else on it.

Yep - we didn't get to take ours out and about much because my parents knew it ate batteries (plus, with no saves, we knew it was basically a huge gamble :lol: ). I have a memory of Lucy and/or me being tethered to the wall by the adapter, hoping desperately that we'd manage to finish the last level of Sonic before dinner was ready.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:40 AM, little birdy said:

I had a Game Boy but when I saw a friend's Game Gear I wanted one *so* bad. Had to give up my Game Boy for it. I guess I mostly regret that choice, but I did also have a lot of fun with a handful of Game Gear games.

The GG was so impressive with the full-colour screen! But the Game Boy definitely did win in terms of how portable it realistically was. :P I never had an original Game Boy but it was so cool to be able to take a console with me when I eventually got a Game Boy Color.

The very first childhood memory I can recall was waking up to play Yoshi's Island on Snes. I don't remember anything before that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deszae said:

The very first childhood memory I can recall was waking up to play Yoshi's Island on Snes. I don't remember anything before that.

That's an awesome first memory.

While I don't fully remember it, I apparently always tried to play my Dad's copy of Space Harrier when he was playing.  So 4th Christmas, they got me a Super Nintendo. It came with Super Mario World, of course, but the other earliest games I remember we're Mega Man X and The Lion King.  Those games formed my gaming foundation, and I was hooked.  Especially with SMW and MMX.  Been a gamer ever since.

Shout out to video games being the reason I learned how to read(aka my parents got sick of reading things for me).

• Like 2