Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[08/15/19] Weekly What Have You Been Playing?

Started :ps3: Final Fantasy XIII-2. I think I only played the opening area originally and then never touched it again (not because I didn't want to, but just kinda went and did other things). Got to close to the end of the opening area but have been finishing wrestling backlog shit.

:3ds: SMT Strange Journey, the first big boss seemed monstrously hard (I think it was about 5-6 levels higher than my general party when looking at the Demon Fusion charts) but I just debuffed it to hell with an Oni and managed to pull out a win with only one dead party member. The sub-app that prevents in-game death if your main character dies has saved my ass a ridiculous amount of times so far.

Hopped on Dead Cells again last night to check out the update. I need to play some more to get back my skills. 

• Like 1

Traded in a bunch of Switch games yesterday that me and the kid are done with. There is 50% extra credit on Switch game trade-ins this weekend, so lucky me. Put $50 toward an eShop card to get Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY, which is fun so far. I'm only a couple dungeons into it. Got well over $100 left in store credit so I'm going to try to get as much out of it as I can on price dropped and used games. 

• Like 1

Going directly into XIII-2 from XIII, it's really noticeable how much they fixed. XIII-2 is such a smooth-ass game in comparison, almost every annoying little tic or aged video game system that the game displayed even in that era were adjusted to be fan-friendly.

• Like 1

I thought very briefly about taking a flier on a cheap copy of FF XII The Zodiac Age the other day but decided to just keep my money. I haven't played anything past X and X-2 so I'm curious... but from what I've read I don't think I'll like XII.

• Like 1

PLayed a little smite today, and Dauntless too

• Like 1

Got back into Overwatch. Played SMB1 on my "new" NES the other day too. :shiny: 

• Like 3

Nice. Did you get the real thing, or a RetroN / something like that?

Real. I don't care for Retrons.

I've never tried a RetroN but they sound like they'd be handy. Wow they're expensive though :O.O:

They're fine I guess, i'd just prefer the real hardware. Better to have it actually work the way it was originally intended than just have it emulated, I say. 

Super NT is the best system I've ever bought. 

*cough*

I still working on my 2nd play through of Three Houses. Also the FFIV Free Enterprise League Top 32 matches was the last couple of weeks and I'm 4th..:lurk: 

I get to pick my opponents for the top 16 now. Got to wait for play ins and stuff. 

1 hour ago, Eizan said:

Super NT is the best system I've ever bought. 

*cough*

That's not a Retron though.

23 hours ago, little birdy said:

I thought very briefly about taking a flier on a cheap copy of FF XII The Zodiac Age the other day but decided to just keep my money. I haven't played anything past X and X-2 so I'm curious... but from what I've read I don't think I'll like XII.

I'm still waiting on that one myself. I tried playing it when it originally came out, but that was about the time I had just started World of Warcraft so I never got more than 10 min. into it and everything from character designs to game systems bothered me a bit but I've always felt bad for not giving it a solid try. Will eventually now that they've re-released it but I have so much else to play I figure I can wait for a super cheap copy.

I'm playing mostly the same stuff I was previously (Persona 4, Overwatch), but also finally started Horizon: Zero Dawn. Honestly kept forgetting I had it (bought it for the wife though I was interested in it). Glad she finally reminded me that it existed. This is a really solid game. World seems really big too. Leans a little heavy towards the Ubisoft school of open world games, but the setting is interesting enough that I actually WANT to learn more about it so that helps a lot. XD

Beyond that, have been poking around on Anthem again now that the Cataclysm update came out. Game still has some of its core issues that need to be fixed, but this was a much needed update. Lots of interesting hidden things, and the gameplay loop in the new area is actually pretty fun (also frustrating when you get people that don't know what they're doing, but that's everything with multiplayer).

20 hours ago, MT said:

They're fine I guess, i'd just prefer the real hardware. Better to have it actually work the way it was originally intended than just have it emulated, I say. 

This kind of thing interests me for that reason:

https://www.analogue.co/super-nt/

Would be nice to have something that's not 30 years old to play on.  On the other hand I'm probably never getting one because I'll never notice the difference between real and emulated anyway. :rotfl:

Been playing the original Legend of Zelda on my NES. I don't think i've ever beaten it in non-emulated form before. Just got to the final dungeon with all hearts.

• Like 1

Started up the second quest in Zelda 1, that shit is tough. I finished the first quest just in time apparently, as when I turned the NES on today, my save had been erased. Took the cart down to a local game store and had the battery replaced, so hopefully that won't happen again.