Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Completed Games (2019)

1. :360: Lost Odyssey

2. :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Hero Mode)

3. :switch: Mega Man 11 (Normal Mode)

3a. :switch: Mega Man 11 (Superhero Mode)

4. :360: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Dark Mode]

4a :360: Easy Mode/Roche Path

5 :3ds: Pokemon Sun

6. :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

7. :360: Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

8. :ps4: Berserk and the Band of the Hawk

9. :ps3: God of War 1 (Platinum Trophy)

10. :ps3: DuckTales Remastered

11. :ps3: God of War II (Platinum Trophy)

12. :ps3: God of War: Chains of Olympus (Platinum Trophy)

13. :ps3: Shadow of the Colossus (Trophy Clean-up)

14. :ps3: Final Fantasy XIII (Platinum Trophy)

15. :ps3: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Platinum Trophy)

I would liken this to a Final Fantasy version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Revelations. It fixed whatever lingering issues the game it spun off from had (though tbf, AC2 was the big-fixer after AC1 and BR/R was just refining, XIII-2 was the big fixer), it played smoothly but I would say unspectaculary, more of a relaxing video game where you complete missions and collect things like AC games are than necessarily intense (probably my fault for playing on easy). There was still a few intense battles, but even the superboss felt less like he was truly difficult and more that he was just made to deliberately fudge with the battle system, XIII felt more intense overall (likely due to the unpopular feature of restricting growth to artificially keep things difficult). I think the collectible monster system is the reason why, with so many options and possible combinations they would've had to account for enough variance to not make the battle system as specific as XIII was (or maybe I just played Easy).

Story I think the was poorly characterized (Noel is not a good character at all, Caius didn't feel grand like Final Fantasy should even though I liked his design), not necessarily written well but does have that "weird energy anime bullshit" going on that I liked about games like Chrono Cross and FF8 where you kinda wanted to read more about what specifically happened.

That ending though

We were going into the generic "good guys save the day" ending and they even told you this was going to happen but you're too busy thinking "ha, they figured out how to win!" and then suddenly Serah dies and you end up cause that thing you originally prevented in FFXIII to happen, and you're just left with Lightning frozen in crystal on Valhalla's Throne with the "TO BE CONTINUED"

God DAMN man. That probably would've annoyed me if I didn't know there was a sequel going into it (and further annoyed me when I found out the "To Be Continued" mostly didn't have to do with the Paradox Endings (ALL THOUGH I really loved that they subtly hinted that something was up with Alyssa, she knew your names before you ever met her, sticks close to Hope, once or twice it lingered on her giving a strange glare, and then you find out in a separate ending she was in cahoots with Caius the whole time) and I didn't already have both games anyways.

Good but not great, 98% a step up from XIII. If these games weren't called Final Fantasy, we'd probably look at them as quirky JRPGs that tried something different than Nier rather than the non-MMO black sheep of the family.

And that isn't even its final form. Lightning Returns is hardcore anime bullshit through and through and it doesn't try to hide it. Hell, the opening cinematic is basically an atypical anime duel between Lightning and Snow in the middle of a rave. XD

I think you'll enjoy it from a story standpoint (still nothing I'd call great, but it keeps your attention well enough). Gameplay has a really strong (if artificially generated via arbitrary time limits) sense of urgency too, but it can be more frustrating than actually fun if you don't have a good handle on it. Combat is decent. Feels like a mix between X-2 and XIII and ends up being more interesting than I was expecting it to be overall.

I'm taking your advice and using a step-by-step guide for it too, which I probably would've done anyways because ever since Majora's Mask I've hated time-reset mechanics

• Like 1

If you haven't started/got too far yet, I HIGHLY recommend this one. Includes maps for each area, specific time goals to make sure you're still on track, and calls out trophies and stuff, but doesn't spoil important story points at all. It's the one I used and was pretty much perfect.  https://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5914

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, Mera'din said:

If you haven't started/got too far yet, I HIGHLY recommend this one. Includes maps for each area, specific time goals to make sure you're still on track, and calls out trophies and stuff, but doesn't spoil important story points at all. It's the one I used and was pretty much perfect.  https://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5914

I just got to Day 5, this game would be unplayable without this guide :rip:

Yep. I think the intention was to artificially pad the replay value so you need to play it multiple times to "see" everything, but the game is NOT good enough for that to be anything but fucking infuriating. So glad I looked into it before playing because going into it blind would have made me rage quit it pretty fucking fast. :rotfl: 

8. :ps4: Berserk and the Band of the Hawk

16. :ps3: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Platinum Trophy)

That was chill and satisfying the same way MMO fetchquests can be. Battle system was aight. Still didn't like the Majora's Mask set-up, Exploration with a Time Limit is not a good combination and thank god for that FAQ (Especially hated that there was basically no point listening to anything Hope or Lightning said when it wasn't a cut-scene because you'd be wasting time). (Speaking of God, I really liked that they called Bunivelze "God" most of the time. That feels like something they would've shied away from in the past).

The story was delicious JRPG bullshit. If I was following everything correctly...

Bunivelze created Pulse, Lindzei and Etro, but Lindzei was a dick so he put him in a cocoon, and then Bunivelze fucked off because ??? and then Lindzei got sad and lonely so he tried to sacrifice humanity to return all their souls to Etro's house and force open the door to the afterlife to find Bunivelze again but Lightning and pals "nah"ed him, but "nah"ing him made the universe hiccup and Lightning ended up falling into Etro's house and Lightning got L'Cie'd up by Etro to fight Caius throughout all of time because Etro gave her heart to him to make him immortal because she was impressed at his dedication to protect Yuel seeressess but then Caius got sad because he kept watching Yuel die forever so he raised Noel in the future and then used Noel's loneliness and sadness at being the last human after the last Yuel died to insert him into Lightning's plot to use Serah to stop Caius with time travel but stopping Caius actually killed Etro (because they shared a heart) which caused the hole that Lindzei wanted to open up to open up and then Chaos spilled out of Etro's house and then Bunivelze was like "Nah" and saved a small portion of the planet and then revived Lightning to get her to save a few nerds because he was going to create a new world because this one was fucked and he also wanted Lightning to be the new Etro but Lightning was like "nah" and Bunivelze got mad and summoned Lindzei to his side (Yay Orphan!) and they killed God and created us and Lightning smiled The End.

Oh, also

I kinda liked the sappy plot twist of Lumina being the younger part of Lightning that she closed off after she lost her parents :lurk:

Very satisfying to have all three games Platinum'd, I think only XIII-2 would be worth going back to if ever.

• Like 1

((Posted this at The Center, but since some don't really go there anymore, figured I may as well transplant it))

Been meaning to update this for a few months now, but never got around to it, so here we go.

1.) :snes: Super Mario World

2.) :switch:Hollow Knight (99%)

3.) :ps4:Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (100%)

4.) :ps4:Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (200.6%)

Hollow Knight was a long project.  I had played it fairly consistently for like 2 months until I hit the Trial of Fools and dropped it after many hours wasted on failed attempts.  Eventually picked it back up this year to just go against my nature and explore the rest of the game.  Ended up completing most of the base game.  Finished the story, including the full boss sequence(going up to fighting The Radiance), found all areas, all but 3 of the charms, and finally turned around and beat The Trial of Fools.  Now that I'm done with that, I basically need to comb through every area to look for what I'm missing to 100%, and then at another time complete the DLC.  I'm probably going to do that all in one chunk, because defeating The Radiance was such a satisfying ending that I'm ready to put it down for now

Rondo of Blood was a pretty quick feat.  Once I had the option of playing as Maria, I was able to cheese the whole game.  She makes that game stupid easy.  But I went back and defeated bosses as Richter for posterity, and I actually finished the last couple levels as Richter and came back and beat Dracula with Maria.  I love the presentation and music of this game, and having the different character was refreshing.  But the movement feels unnecessarily stilted in comparison to Castlevania IV and Bloodlines.  I love the old school Castlevania playstyle, but the art style and modern aesthetic didn't blend well with the rigid controls for Richter, so that made it a little harder to appreciate this game.  Also, the bosses are a farcry from most that came before it.

Symphony of the Night is just beautiful.  Right up my alley.  Big ass map with a lot of reward for exploration, a bit of XP grinding, and combat that is increasingly satisfying.  I know some people dog on this one for introducing RPG elements and arguably taking away the physical challenge of playing the game in favor of the false feeling of getting better at the game through power improvements.

That argument might be fair, but for me, it doesn't ever take away from the game being truly challenging.  If you manipulate the ways to break this game, it can be a bit rough, but there are still many times I found myself dying in a frustrating stretch of hallway before a save point.  Or getting that raw sense of accomplishment every time I vanquished a boss.  The movement is truly the best, especially once you acquire the double jump.  You feel like you can zip and flip your way around the whole castle in no time.  I love how much it borrows from elements of the previous games(even Bloodlines!) while creating it's own sense of being, something that most of the Castlevanias before Bloodlines struggled with.  And that soundtrack just kept me rocking the whole time.

Completed the 200.6%, but I still have a couple trophies I have to unlock.  One of them requires you to encounter all the enemies to complete a bestiary, but I apparently missed a tiny enemy that only appears as a spawn for a boss, so I'll have to play through the game as Alucard again to do that.  With this and the fully completed Rondo of Blood trophy list, I think I'm at like 92%?  I'll get the platinum a year down the road or something.

I can't help but feel there should be one or two more games that I'm missing, but I've started a few that I haven't completed yet, so that might be contributing.

• Like 1

8. :ps4: Berserk and the Band of the Hawk *Platinum Trophy)

17. :switch: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

99%ed it. Did every level including all the extra levels and added DLC. Only things I didn't do was beating the last bonus level where you're being chased by Mummies for 50 floors (if I did beat it, I would've already done it on Wii U, and if I didn't beat it, which I don't think I would've had the patience for, whatevs), and getting the last purple gem in the free DLC (have to beat 25 or 30 floors while being chased by Mummies and having to preserve the Toad Brigade behind you). Same thoughts as the Wii U version, game is easy and chill and feels similar to Donkey Kong '94 on Game Boy but in 3D, probs a good game for a parent who wants to play something cute and simple with their kids.

1. :pc: AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake)

1.5. :pc: Spelunky (Daily Adventure)

2. :pc: Mortal Kombat 11

3. :switch: Cadence of Hyrule

4a. :pc: Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night (Bad Ending)

4b. :pc: Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night (Good Ending)

5. (NES) The Legend Of Zelda

6. (GBA) The Legend Of Zelda: Minish Cap

One of the many Zelda games I loaded on my 3DS a few weeks ago. I've beaten it before, but not in a long while.

22.) :ps4: Horizon: Zero Dawn

This game was pretty impressive overall. Playing through the DLC right now, but the main game was interesting pretty much the whole way through. Has a bit of the Ubsioft signature "Climb a tower to reveal things to find in the open world" shit but it's not overdone and I actually WANTED to find the stuff because the world was interesting enough for it. Combat is where the game really shines though. All of the machines are really well designed and function differently, and they're really intricate. There are so many pieces you can knock off of them to disable their abilities or stun them or whatever and it leaves you with a lot of choice in how you approach fights.

Story was really interesting too. Trying to figure out what happened to the world that it ended up the way it did. After credits bit was also really interesting and makes me hope they'll continue it at some point.

Felt like there were only a couple shortcomings in the game but they were only minor gripes. One being that basically every vendor is pretty much exactly the same so even as of the beginning of the game you can buy basically any weapon and gear you want (just gotta farm up the money/mats for it) and then don't need to change anything for the rest of the game and crafting materials are almost TOO prolific. I maxed out my inventory pretty early one and spent the rest of the game just selling excess stuff for money that I pretty much didn't need.

18. :switch: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

100%ed only, already did Hard Mode on the Wii U version and don't have the patience for that anymore :lurk:

• Like 1

These days I'm all about the Easy Mode :lol: 

7. :pc: Control

Once I got a few powers you don't get during the main mission (one critical one, which they really should have put in the main pathway through the game) it got a bit easier, but the shooting never really felt right, especially with headshots. There's a section of the game that's music related that was pretty fucking awesome. There's still a bunch of stuff I haven't unlocked, but I don't know if i'm gonna go back in and get any of it.

• Like 1

23.) :vita: Persona 4: Golden

I'm not TECHNICALLY done with this yet, but getting close. Hit a bad ending though so I'm putting it up now since it was still technically an ending. >_>

A friend let me borrow the game. Played it on the PSTV I bought forever ago so it was nice to finally have a reason to use it. XD

Pretty interesting overall. The contrast between the "social" side of the game and the dungeon side of it felt really stark though. No real flow between the two it was "Do a shit load of this. Now do a shit load of this." I've heard 5 handles that a little better though. Story is interesting and I'm enjoying going through it. Combat is relatively challenging and I find myself using status and elemental stuff more than I do in most RPGs which is nice. Looking forward to seeing the good ending and finding out what's actually going on and will probably continue taking an interest in the series based on what I've seen with this one.

Was planning on going for the platinum but I'm not going to bother at this point. One of the mini-games that you have to do to max out all the social stuff is fucking stupid as fuck and almost made me stop playing the game honestly. The fishing one specifically. Looked up tons of things about it and tried to figure out how to do it but just can't. Literally all the advice is "you pretty much have to do this on the Vita" which means I'm completely out of fucking luck. Don't know if the response time through a PS3 and PS4 controller is just not good enough or what, but it can go right ahead and fuck itself. Wasted hours trying to do it and can't even get close so not going to bother with pushing for the trophies on it anymore.

• Like 1

I've got the PS2 Classic version waiting on my PS3 to play one day. And the PSP remakes waiting on my PSP to play them too :lurk:

One day...

19. :switch: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

100%ed, all menu stars (didn't do that on Wii U). It's a Mario platformer with so-so physics.

:ps4: Borderlands 3

Honestly pretty good. Hammerlock and Winnie are probably the best story arc in the game. 

20. :switch: New Super Luigi U Deluxe

99%ed it. Still think it's a better game than Mario U, really love the format (100 second short levels). I didn't get one Star Coin in one level because I either already did it on Wii U or gave up on it on Wii U (Fire Bar Sprint, you have to accidentally get the right timing to run through a level without getting hit, shit's dumb). I was kinda hyped to pick up Mario Maker at some point but I think I'm 2d'ed out again.

2. :switch: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 

I'm ready for a remake of A Link to the Past like this. :lurk:

Have about 6 shells to find and 11 heart pieces to find. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, MT said:

8. :switch: The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening

First time beating this, and I see why people rate it so highly. Lots of fun!

• Like 1

24.) :ps4: Control

This is easily my favorite game of the year thus far. Loved everything about it. The challenge, the story, the atmosphere, the visuals, all of it. It's probably the most rewarding game I've played in terms of exploration too. Tons of stuff to find to fill in story as well as upgrade your character and it's really well placed too. Some of the areas are impressively large and have a ton of exploration potential. Was continuously finding myself amazed by how much depth the maps had. Areas that seemed like background were often times explorable once you had the right abilities. Even the post-game had some cool stuff to it. Returning to areas after beating the game resulted in new dialogue from the main character, and there was a new side mission as well (with a really hard boss fight). 

Character progression felt really solid. You never feel entirely overpowered and a wrong step even against simple enemies can quickly turn against you if you don't play smart and utilize all of your abilities. Probably the only thing I'd consider OP is the launch ability and even that has it's restraints. Other than that, one of the hidden side quests rewarded me with a mod for the base gun that makes it so you have infinite ammo as long as you're hitting an enemy which was really cool. Two of the optional bosses were pretty difficult, and I had to retry them multiple times to get a handle on the fights. Got a little frustrating, but never stopped having fun.

I know MT had some complaints about the aiming, though I didn't notice that myself really. At least not beyond what I expect from a 3rd person shooter. Might be something that's more noticeable on PC perhaps? I know these kinds of games tend to have aim assist on consoles which might have made the difference. Performance was a little iffy at first with how much is going on in the game, but a patch they put out a couple weeks ago fixed most of that. Only noticed a lot of stuttering coming out of the menus or from pausing after that.

As a side note, for anyone who's a fan of Alan Wake, this game references it a LOT and it's rumored that the second of the two DLCs will relate to it. I've had the game on PC for a while but never got around to playing it. Think I'll have to do that now with how much I loved this game. Also some light Quantum Break references I guess (another one I've always wanted to play), but those are pretty vague as the IP is owned by Microsoft so they couldn't make any blatant ones like they did with Alan Wake.

Already looking forward to more of this. One of the few titles that I've got the Platinum for and continued to play to see what else I could find in the game.

21. :switch: Kirby Star Allies

What a good Kirby game. 100%ed, didn't Crown. Modeled after Super Star, good mechanics (four partners, power stealing and combining, some boss or mini-boss characters can be recruited, cool little vehicle sections), chill to play. It's like an average game as a game but a 9 or 10/10 Kirby game.

Nop. Similar concept w/ four players and being able to play as enemies, but that one just looks like it's exclusively boss battles.

• Like 1

25.) :ps4: Greedfall

REALLY solid game. Action RPG reminiscent of the original Dragon Age made by a smaller studio. It's rough around the edges (lots of little things that would have been nice to see in he game), but it can be forgiven most of that considering the quality everywhere else. I wasn't sure how much I would be into it at first because I'm not generally a fan of the 18th century colonial aesthetic it has but it ended up being really interesting. Combat was fun once you get used to it and you can pick up any skill you want regardless of your starting "class" so you can customize in interesting ways. Story had a lot of interesting twists I wasn't expecting, and choices you make have a number of impacts both small and large throughout the game. Even the companions you take with you on certain quests can make them easier or harder to complete in a satisfactory way depending on what you're trying to do

. At one point there is even a companion quest that depending on how it goes (or doesn't go), COMPLETELY changes how a major plot point unfolds around the middle of the game. Was interesting to see the little things that would change for simple choices between my play through and my wife's. There are some key choices that determine the brunt of the ending you get but lots of little things that affect it as well therein.

It's not anything groundbreaking, and it's shorter than most RPGs of this nature (think I did everything I could find in the game and finished it in about 60 hours), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Launched at $50 and was a complete game that I enjoyed playing so I have no regrets. It's also nice to see smaller developers show up the garbage that most AAA studios shove out these days using less people and less money. 

Think I'll probably go for the platinum on this one if I have time. Interested in seeing the other endings at least. Not sure if I can manage the highest difficulty though. Some of the fights were rough just playing on normal but I'll probably give it a shot.

*22: :switch: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Hit the 100ish hour mark. Did all 124 Challenges, beat Classic Mode with every character (including DLC Characters), beat World of Light. The asterisk is because I still have 11 Spirits left to collect, but they're Vault Store Spirits and those just pop up randomly as you play. Also Terry and the other DLC in the future still to collect.

I've never played Smash with any regularity beyond renting a few times in the N64 years. Fucking loooooved the bite-sized gameplay that you could pick up and play, how much single player content there was to do, the faux-achievements, and especially 1300+ collectables of video game characters. God damn, it's a great overall package.

I mostly mained Ganondorf in World of Light (there's an easy way to cheese it with him), and Marth online, but the last thing I did was beat Classic Mode with every character and Chrom actually felt really good and had a few things that I felt Marth was missing. I'll probably fuck around with Chrom a bit more as a I play to pop the other spirits.

9. :pc: What The Golf?

Fun game, but I think it went on a bit too long. 

6 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

I mostly mained Ganondorf in World of Light (there's an easy way to cheese it with him), and Marth online, but the last thing I did was beat Classic Mode with every character and Chrom actually felt really good and had a few things that I felt Marth was missing. I'll probably fuck around with Chrom a bit more as a I play to pop the other spirits.

Chrom, Ike, and Lucina are all great alternatives to Marth for me.  I haven't been feeling Marth the last couple games and Lucina is now my replacement for her.  I've been maining Samus a fair amount this game as well as Lucina and Ike as always.  I've definitely taken an interest in Chrom as well though.

I'm a fighting game moron so I never think to press the block button or the roll/dodge combo button, so having counters is pretty much necessary for me :lurk:

Aight, the asterisk is now off. The Vault Shop is time-based so just have to leave the game up and running and it'll refresh every little while. Have all the spirits now.

22. :switch: Super Smash Bros Ultimate

23. :3ds: Luigi's Mansion

Game was chill and comfy as fuck. Loved the sound effects and music especially, the theme is so catch and I like how Luigi hums it himself when in the dark just to distract himself from being afraid. Controls sucked though (one-stick 3DS), especially on the last boss. Collected every Boo, got a B Rank Mansion and $98 million.  I think I did two achievement lists and most of a third list, but not gonna do any more because said controls make attempting to play it with any kind of skill a drag.

24. :switch: Link's Awakening

Beautiful art-style and music (mostly, the blur is kind of annoying), I wish more of the old 2D Zeldas were remade with this style. As far as a recreation of Link's Awakening with better graphics and music, it's pretty much perfect. As far as being a full price Switch remake offering more than what was in the original package, it's pretty lackluster. I guess it at least adapted the Game Boy Colour version and the extra dungeon. I played the dungeon-maker only as much as I needed to get all the Hearts and Seashells (which I did do) and it was okay but nothing blow-away, felt more tacked-on than otherwise. Didn't bother playing Hero/Hard Mode or whatever it's called.

25. :3ds: Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn

23:46, 88%. I missed some pieces of Fabric somewhere and only did about 5 or 6 Devilish Mode levels before deciding not to do the rest. Definitely the best version of the game. It got flack back in the day for not allowing you to die but the challenge is more in not getting hit and losing your beads. Devilish Mode added death and an enemy who pops up and dogs you throughout the level, so that little bit that was missing from it is now here (I didn't do it because in order to collect everything, you have to beat every level without getting hit in this mode, Kirby in some ways and the UFO transformation in particular don't control well enough to bother with that). I ended up really liking the Dedede and Meta Knight Mini-games and kinda wished they included more levels in both. The space-shooter levels reminded me that I'm getting old as my hands start to hurt if I have to rapidly tap buttons (especially such a small device). There's a lot more in this game than I remember there being, cute and good music and a good-ass game but not really a great-ass game. It does make me look forward to playing Yoshi's Woolly World and Crafted World, which I do plan to do in the near future. Fire Emblem next, though.

10. :pc: The Outer Worlds

Started it a little after 7AM on Saturday, beat it around 5AM on Sunday. Played it for my 24 hour Extra Life stream. I didn't play it the whole time though, some was Overwatch, and some was Destiny 2. I really liked it, although playing it this long in nearly one sitting was just too much. I am curious to see how different it can be. I played a regular, generic good guy. I'd like to see how it is to be more of a dick. Plus, I hear if you don't give your character high intelligence, the conversations are pretty fantastic. 

26.) :ps4: The Outer Worlds

I did high intelligence (though I fucked it up by taking a concussion flaw part way through) and there were definitely some interesting options with it. I hear super low intelligence makes for some interesting stuff too (unlocks "dumb speak" speach options). Including a completely different ending if do specific things at the end. Definitely going to play through it again once the influx of new games I want to play dies down (looks like a dry spell for Dec. - Feb. for me at least) and I have time to revisit it. Loved the leveling system in the game and the mechanics they had in place for everything to feel useful. Having social skills affect combat (and some combat skills adding options to social encounters) was really nice. Very light on bugs too. Only a couple things that I saw that stood out and most of those were more visually oriented anyway and they already have a lot of things lined up to fix or requests to add in from the looks of the list on their forum too so that's cool. Easily one of the best games to come out this year.

I thought it was kind of interesting how often/early stats played into dialog choices. I only really played Fallout 4 to completion, but it seemed like the requirements necessary were way higher in that than they were in this.

They were definitely mostly manageable, especially if you had the right companions with you. There were only a handful of times I saw ones that required 100 in a skill to do and only one of those was in a weirdly early place in the game that I noticed. By the last couple areas there were a number of things that required 100 in hacking to open but that was the most prolific one that I saw.

There honestly may have been more though, I think I had the option turned on that hid dialogue options that weren't at least close to your level in that skill.

The one check that stopped me was in Byzantium where you had to hack your way into the door of the restricted area. I went back and did a few side quests before realizing having the Vicar on your team added to your hacking skills.

26. :ds: :wiiu: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

YOSHHHHHH. First Fire Emblem game I've played the full way through. I did make a few save states (there was a mission I probably spent at least an hour on and I had set it up to be beaten but I was paranoid about the power randomly going out) but the only time I ever used one was on the last level, moments before fighting the boss, just so I didn't have to waste a few extra turns positioning my army (I'd already saved just before him legit anyways).

I enjoyed how the DS version of this game kind of set it up like a puzzle, each map you have to figure out the optimum way to win . Or at least early on I did. In later levels, I'd turtle using my two promoted generals (Draug and Roger) with Lena healing, Hardin/Paladin, Jeorge/Sniper and Beck/Ballista back-up while waiting for the enemy reinforcements to peter out. Except in Chapter 24, where I took Tiki from level 1 to about level 20 something by OHKO'ing Dragonkin.

Got kind of annoyed by the last mission.

You're split up into four groups but I only had enough useful units to form one strong group and two so-so groups that can hang because of one strong characters in them. I had to sacrifice a group of characters (whose lives were lost to history in the ending ;_;)

I don't think I'd like playing any more of these games without the ability to train units at least. Permadeath wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (with in-chapter save points at least), but later chapters were super repetitive with endless waves of enemies and really only a few units being useful, I'm not sure if I'd play this or casual mode in future games.

10. :pc: The Outer Worlds (Normal)

10a. :pc: The Outer Worlds (Story)

11. :pc: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Jedi Knight)

I liked this game quite a bit. I loved the story, and it got pretty intense the last level or two. Some nice surprises here and there, too. The combat one on one felt great, but throwing any more than two enemies at you at a time just got frustrating, especially when they throw different types of enemies at you. Stormtroopers firing at you from a distance while others are swinging at you with stun batons, fighting off Inquisitors while Stormtroopers are shooting rockets at you, etc. The fights with the Inquisitors were really fun, though. Plus, shoving dudes off ledges never gets old.

• Like 1

27. :switch: Pokemon Sword

32ish hours, 201 Pokemon. I did technically beat it (including the post-game final quest). I'm not finished with it yet because I do want to collect'em all and do other things in it, but it's being relegated to the game to play while listening to podcasts and not the game I'm principally focusing on.

Besides the obvious complaints that long-time fans have (THEY LEFT OUT KROOKODILE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE), it was otherwise a solid-ass Pokemon game. Catching and collecting is always fun, I fucking loved the gyms (GYMS ARE BACK) and the focus on Pokemon Battles as a competitive spectator sport. The UK-ish backgrounds were pretty as fuck. The quality-of-life additions were welcome. I think the main villain/storyline could've been more fleshed out, but it accomplished what it meant to. Team Yell was weak as fu as far as Pokemon teams are but I guess they served their purpose. Pretty good generation as far as designs go, but super-weak when it comes to the starters.

3. Pokemon Shield 

Fun Pokemon game, first one I completed in a long time. Probably first once since Black and White? 

I'll probably finish Cold Steel 3 soon, but I know it ends on a cliffhanger...so I'm kinda dragging it out. 

27.) :ps4:  Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Very fun game. Frustrating at times, but I'm of a differing opinion from MT. I had the most fun when going against multiple enemies. Especially after you get the ability to split the dual lightsaber ability. the Purger trooper types could be really obnoxious though, and fighting some of the wildlife was really awkward. Took a while to get used to the game because I always felt like the characters movement was slightly off. Like his reach wasn't quite as far as it felt like it should have been. Once you get used to it though it flows really nice. Only fights I truly hated were the ones against Second Sister. For some reason, I could just NOT follow her attacks at all. None of the other boss fights caused me anywhere near the trouble the ones with her did. Was getting really frustrated with it.

Exploration was excellent. Each planet was SO much bigger than I first thought (other than the first one), and there were more than I was expecting. Game was longer overall than I was expecting too. Story was pretty decent, and the bit at the end after the final boss was a nice surprise and adequately tense. Definitely want to see more Star Wars games with this kind of effort put into them.

I just wish the double lightsaber wasn't an ability that used your Force meter, and that they had found a better way to use it instead of holding block and hitting the attack button. I kept doing it on accident and wasting Force.

Yeah, it using force power was a bit annoying, but it saved me from enough tight spots that I'm willing to forgive it. Still would have preferred it as a separate fighting style like how it was with switching between the single and double sided lightsabers. Was at least nice that it adapted the Lightsaber throw so that he just detached the one end and threw that so you could keep blocking though.

4. :ps4: Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3. 

Cliffhanger endings suck, especially when the 4th title hasn't been confirmed for localization yet. :(

27. :switch: Pokemon Sword

28. :3ds: Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World

Was chill, I really liked some of the level gimmicks but they didn't really revisit too many of them so it also felt like each level had something interesting going for it. Liked it better than mainline Yoshi games because no Baby Mario and no percentages so I didn't have to bother with beating every level without getting hit or get got-mad because of my OCD. Except for the Boss Rush and the final secret level, which I didn't bother with, I otherwise got all the sunflowers, stamps and wool Yoshis.