Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
webhead

List Your Concerts

I think we did this on the Center a while back but a lot of you weren't there for it so let's give this a shot.  Main idea is list all the concerts you've been to or list your favorites and why (or both).  Which bands surprised you by being really good or shockingly bad?  I'm going to compile my list in a minute here but I've actually been to a fucking lot of concerts so it may take me a bit to remember them all. :rotfl:

• Like 1

I was going to try and list these in order and realized after literally the first or second one that I had no idea which one came next!  So...you know, let's just get them all in a list. :rotfl:

• Bon Jovi - First one.  Was fun.  Always liked their early stuff.  After the album with It's My Life, I stopped caring.  Boring.
  • Lollapalooza 2003 - Jane's addiction and Audioslave were headlining...also Queens of the Stonge Age and APC.  Awesome show.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lollapalooza_lineups_by_year#2003
  • Family Values 2006 - Korn, Deftones (holy shit they are awful in concert), and some other stuff I don't remember.  They had a really cheap show one year because they were filming a video so I basically went to see Korn (and a band called Fly Leaf that I just remembered opened at the Smile Empty Soul/Cold concert and I kinda liked).  Lol.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Values_Tour_2006
  • End of Summer Scorcher 2009 - Local radio station's concert thing.  Saw Five Finger Death Punch there for the first time (fucking awesome), OTEP was on a side stage...saw and actually HEARD them for the first time (was good shit), and Corey Taylor did some weird ass solo stuff.  My uncle snuck in alcohol (I like going to concerts with him :D).  Searched a bunch and finally figured out the name of the concert and the whole lineup lol:
    https://www.last.fm/festival/1162945+End+of+Summer+Scorcher/lineup
  • Muse - I think it has now been 5 times?  Couple times with Nick (Celebrity Theater, some random festival in Tucson), Drones tour (in LA), current tour (holy fuck it was incredible, will share pics), and I'm certain there was 1 other I can't remember.  Oh yeah, I actually saw them in Austin with Xy. :nod:
  • Metallica - Just saw them a couple years ago for free with awesome seats (at the place Jovanna used to work where she still knows people).  Avenged Sevenfold opened for them.  Not bad.  Avenged Sevenfold was not as good as I would have expected.  Metallica melted our fucking faces off.  It was just after Hardwired... to Self-Destruct released.
  • Guns N Roses - Same deal as above.  Axl can not sing very well anymore...but he did improve some from his lower point (before the rest of GnR would tour with him) and the show was still very fun. Slash can still play the fuck out of a guitar.
  • System of a Down - Fucking amazing.  Sad I've only seen them once.  Opening bands were awful (went to this with Xy as well I believe).  First band was called Bad Acid trip (appropriate) and then we watched The Mars Volta jack off on stage for like 40 minutes of solos.  System was great though. :rotfl:
  • Serj Tankian - When he did the tour for his first solo album.  Was at the Marquee which was really fucking cool because I got to actually see him with my own eyeballs and not a TV screen.  Went to this with Xy too?
  • Audioslave - Saw them specifically as well in addition to Lollapalooza.  God damn they were amazing.  I think this might have been after their 2nd album?
  • Smile Empty Soul and Cold - SES was surprisingly fun to watch.  Cold refused to play Stupid Girl because they're just like too cool to play the stupid song the label made them write to play on the radio.  They were still pretty good though.  I like that song Suffocate.  Absolutely none of it sounds anything remotely close to Stupid Girl.  My uncle won tickets to this.  That is why I went lol.  I remember this particularly because the singer of Smile Empty Soul was pissed that his label was not releasing their new album for some reason and basically told us all to go home and just fucking pirate it then. :rotfl:
  • Mindless Self Indulgence - I think I've seen them 4 times now?  They always play at the Marquee (small venue here where you can get nice and close up if you like).  They're fun.
  • Breaking Benjamin - My brother's first concert.  Also had a band called Starset opening for them that was actually pretty cool.  Fun concert.
  • Adele - Because David wanted to go with his wife so I had to go got to go with my wife. :rotfl: It was alright.  She's not bad.  Was never that into her but I enjoyed it for what it was.  She's a good singer.

I've searched my memory and past topics far and wide and I THINK this basically covers all of it?  I went to a fair number of concerts with Xy. :O

I'll try to come up with something some time this week.  I've been to so many and it's been years since consistent concert-going days.  I'm jealous of your MSI resume, though.

4 hours ago, webhead said:

Drones tour (in LA)

Oh yeah? Who'd you go see them with?

7 hours ago, MT said:

Oh yeah? Who'd you go see them with?

Surprise gift from Jovanna a few years back (who went with me) after we missed them when they were here while we went to Disneyland.  Such a hard life. :rotfl:

• Like 1

YOU MOTHERFUCKER I WAS THERE TOO.

• ROFL 1

You were THERE just not with me.  Lol.  I recall you were nowhere close too.  Was at the place the hockey team plays right?

Where all LA sports play, really...outside of the Dodgers. Staples Center.

New Kids on the Block
Metallica
L7
Sweet 75
Bush
Smashmouth
3rd Eye Blind
Powerman 5000 or Static X or both?  i honestly can't remember
Insane Clown Posse
Peaches
Bauhaus
Nine Inch Nails
The Beat
Reel Big Fish
The Charlatans

Henry Rollins (spoken word but I'm counting it)
Daughter
Polica
Sigur Ros
Low
Boomtown Rats
Billy Ocean
Das Racist
Alt-J
The Pixies
Action Bronson
The Twilight Sad
The Cure
American Football
Animal Collective
Shonen Knife x2
Danny Brown
Run the Jewels
Gary Numan
The Flaming Lips
Chemical Brothers
Pussy Riot

I feel like theres a bunch that I'm missing, but it might be the standup gigs I'm thinking of.

Upcoming...
John Hopkins
New Order
Kraftwerk
Hot Chip
Black Flag

• Like 1

I'm not a huge concert-goer but I go to one when it's a band I really like, mainly if they come in range of me but occasionally going further afield for special occasions! Random list, not in chronological order because my memory is trash:

* Status Quo

* Turin Brakes

* Shonen Knife

* ZZ Top

* The B-52s

* Vocaloid/Miku Expo

* Man With A Mission

* Mànran

Status Quo and Shonen Knife I've seen a few times; I've even seen Shonen Knife a couple of times with Hornet and Oneeight! :D Every event listed I've enjoyed, but the freshest in my mind is the Man With A Mission concert which was just back in February, and those guys absolutely slam live. :headbang:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, oneeight said:

New Kids on the Block

I love that you went to this. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Lucy said:

* ZZ Top

Hell yeah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucy said:

I'm not a huge concert-goer but I go to one when it's a band I really like, mainly if they come in range of me but occasionally going further afield for special occasions! Random list, not in chronological order because my memory is trash:

* Status Quo

* Turin Brakes

* Shonen Knife

* ZZ Top

* The B-52s

* Vocaloid/Miku Expo

* Man With A Mission

* Mànran

Status Quo and Shonen Knife I've seen a few times; I've even seen Shonen Knife a couple of times with Hornet and Oneeight! :D Every event listed I've enjoyed, but the freshest in my mind is the Man With A Mission concert which was just back in February, and those guys absolutely slam live. :headbang:

I cannot believe you'd leave out the most important one of all.

Oh man how could I

The most important of all: 

Queen + Adam Lambert in Dallas

Went with Anelle and she tolerated me fangirl shrieking at Brian May, we listened to him do a like, 10 minutes astral projecting guitar solo (that proved in my mind that he's a time lord), and then swayed to We Are The Champions arm in arm

• Like 1
  • Shiny 2

Theeeere we go! 

Who's ready for my really impressive list?

Garth Brooks way back in the 90s

A few weird Christian bands I don't even remember the names of but that was all I was allowed to do so why not

Fall Out Boy

The magical experience of Queen + Adam Lambert with my bby Lucy

That's it. I'm not really a concert person, too many ear problems lol

• Like 2

Iron Maiden: Was my first concert and I'd gladly go see them again, they put on an amazing show.

Foo Fighters: Friend of mine won front row tickets to the concert last fall and that was a pretty good night.

Dropkick  Murphys

Eric Church

Rob Zombie

System of a Down

Judas Priest

Bif Naked

Tech 9

Offspring

July Talk

Tenacious D

Disturbed

Black Sabith

AC-DC

Metallica

Mega death

Korn

Five finger death punch

Greta Van Fleet

Flogging Molly

Elton John

The sheepdogs

Current swell

Those are the main ones I can remember. I know there's been more country ones I dont care enough to list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucy said:

Oh man how could I

The most important of all: 

Queen + Adam Lambert in Dallas

Went with Anelle and she tolerated me fangirl shrieking at Brian May, we listened to him do a like, 10 minutes astral projecting guitar solo (that proved in my mind that he's a time lord), and then swayed to We Are The Champions arm in arm

Oh man I am jelly as fuck.  It's also hilarious that you traveled to the US and saw a band from the UK. :rotfl:

• Like 1

At the time we weren't how long they were gonna tour so she used it as part of a reason to take a nice trip out here and it was lovely! Turns out they all had such a blast that Queen + Adam Lambert is now a long running thing that's still going strong

It’s not a concert but my all time favorite is Book of Mormon ❤️

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:47 AM, Anelle said:

Theeeere we go! 

Who's ready for my really impressive list?

Garth Brooks way back in the 90s

A few weird Christian bands I don't even remember the names of but that was all I was allowed to do so why not

Fall Out Boy

The magical experience of Queen + Adam Lambert with my bby Lucy

That's it. I'm not really a concert person, too many ear problems lol

Omg that reminded me of that Christian band festival I went to where I saw Jars of Clay, and a band called Plumb that was p. good and a bunch of others that weren't so much

• Like 1

Michael Jackson

HIM

Cradle of Filth

Then w/ oneeight

The Beat
Reel Big Fish
The Charlatans

Henry Rollins (spoken word but I'm counting it)
Daughter
Polica
Sigur Ros
Low
Boomtown Rats
Billy Ocean
Das Racist
Alt-J
The Pixies
Action Bronson
The Twilight Sad
The Cure
American Football
Animal Collective
Shonen Knife x2
Danny Brown
Run the Jewels
Gary Numan
The Flaming Lips
Chemical Brothers
Pussy Riot

Oneeight: "You were at Billy Ocean! He played Carfest"
Me: "Oh, I don't remember"
Oneeight: "That's because it was fucking boring."

I plan on doing this properly, in a big way. And I'm eager to share here. My memory fails me at times, but I have been attending concerts for 18 years and at my peak I went to 4 a week. I askes myself, "Can I list 100 artists I have seen live?" and I did so, easily.

I now aim to chronologically list everyone I can remember seeing.

There are few on my "to see" list left. Spice Girls I am finally seeing in two months. Tina Turner has stopped touring. NIN feels like a cop out since Trent quit a few times. That's seriously about it.

Live music is the fucking bomb. Cinema helps me escape a little while. Sports are good too. But only live music gives you THAT escape.

Only three days ago I saw a local ska band celebrate the ten year ( a DECADE of local music ) anniversary pf their first album. Trombone player decided to stage dive into a crowd of.... dozens. Gave us all free CDs after. Live. Goddamn. Music.

• Like 1