Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Mortal Kombat (2021)

The trailer is age restricted, so just go watch it here.

Not really sure what I was expecting, but i'm kinda underwhelmed. Guess I can't get past the whole "we need a new character who's an audience surrogate" thing.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's been forever since I've watched the old LA movie, but it feels like storyline is better, goes without saying that the effects and costume design look good. Overall idk. 

The stand in character threw me off but the rest of it seems relatively solid. Excepting no old school theme. Don't fix what ain't fucking broken. >:| 

Hard maybe.

Yeah, they know what people wanted, the fatalities. Def gonna watch, also, never forget the OG Raiden

On 2/19/2021 at 12:20 AM, Mera'din said:

The stand in character threw me off but the rest of it seems relatively solid. Excepting no old school theme. Don't fix what ain't fucking broken. >:| 

Hard maybe.

Stand in character definitely gives me pause.  There are like 100 MK characters and you couldn't find an existing one to use as your boring everyman character for the movie? :rotfl:

Also...no Johnny Cage??? :sick:

I dunno I feel very much the same.  VERY hard maybe.

Not gonna lie, no Johnny Cage is actually a selling point for me. :rotfl: 

Him dying was probably the best part of the 2nd Mortal Kombat movie hands down. >_>

I've seen some speculation that with how they've changed the Sub-Zero/Scorpion subplot, the stand in dude could actually end up being the "other" Sub-Zero in the form a descendant of the original instead of his brother.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:20 PM, Mera'din said:

Excepting no old school theme. Don't fix what ain't fucking broken. >:|

Nah man it'll be this

Good enough.

Seriously though, if someone doesn't edit the original theme song into this movie like 15 min. after it becomes available online, the internet will have failed. I'm surprised someone hasn't already done it with the trailer. XD

Edit:

Someone half assed it I guess. :rotfl: 

I have no doubt that I'll enjoy this movie because there's some good casting and the visuals all look fun as hell but

where

is

the

CAMP

you can't do Mortal Kombat without camp you just fuckin' can't

• Like 3

Image result for yes yes yes skull

• Like 1
  • Shiny 1

Oh my god that is perfection.

tenor.gif?itemid=8316636

• Like 1

I expect the action will be awesome (this first fight scene is pretty great) but outside of that, i'm not expecting much. I'll still watch it, though.

That's pretty much how I'm going into it as well. It'll be on HBOMax anyway, so no reason for me to not watch it at that point. XD

I'm not hearing good things, I guess it's been out in Europe for a few days now. Seeing people say that the fight scenes aren't well shot, and have too many cuts. 😕

27 minutes ago, Mera'din said:

That's pretty much how I'm going into it as well. It'll be on HBOMax anyway, so no reason for me to not watch it at that point. XD

Pretty much this.  I watched the Snyder Cut so this should be better than that at least. :rotfl:

The movie was okay, nothing special. Go in with low expectations and you'll be fine. Fights were alright, fatalities were awesome. Acting is bad, plot is ok. They brought in some characters I didn't expect. Them trying to shoehorn lines from the game (flawless victory, fatality) etc. was fucking dumb too. At least the few times they did it in the original MK movie it made slightly more sense (I only really remember Shang Tsung saying it after one of the fights). 

Kung Lao was apparently holding everyone back, as soon as he does suddenly everyone is a better fighter. The main character is a descendant of Hanzo Hasashi (Scorpion) and at one point gains actual plot armor. Scorpion seems to come back for no real reason, he just sort of shows up, instead of any time in the centuries between when the intro to the movie takes place and his return. I guess Raiden decided to, for some reason?

They definitely leave things open for a sequel, but I can't say I'm interested. Kano was the highlight for me, but I can see how he can be considered a bit much.

I'm gonna be in the minority but I had a blast with this. Mortal Kombat has never in any way been a GOOD franchise, and this movie was stupid, violent and the 2021 version of campy and that's literally the entire MO of the series. I'm hoping it does well enough for a sequel. I want more dumb shit to have fun with!

edit to add that I do have to dock points for lack of techno, but that falls into the category of "2021 campiness" vs "90s campiness"

DOUBLE EDIT TO ADD I KNOW THAT TECHNO SYNDROME REMIX IS IN THERE I MEAN 90S STYLE TECHNO I AM VERY TIRED

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with Anelle. It wasn't any worse than the older movies really. It was fine. Dumb fun. Could have been a whole lot worse. And at least they EVENTUALLY remembered to use the damn theme music. Took them the entire fucking movie. :rotfl: 

Granted, it was a new 
arrangement, but that wasn't surprising. Didn't care for it as much as the original, but was still happy to hear it.

It was not really good or bad.  It was fine.  I didn't hate it.  Had some fun with it.  It was about what I was expecting.  Probably not something that'll ever be a cult classic like the original which is bad but charming.  There could be some fun in the sequels.  Nothing could really be worse than Annihilation. :lol:

Cole was fairly boring.  I'm excited though that they're teasing

Spoiler

Johnny Cage.  Kano did a good job of being the comic relief but you know....he's not gonna be there lol.

Felt like the story with Scorpion was kinda cool.  Curious if they're going to expand on Sub Zero as well maybe next movie?  They never really go into WHY they hate each other so much specifically.  Just vagueries you get from not very good writing. :P 

I absolutely loathe the thumbnails they use for these, but this is pretty fucking great.

"So like if a 95 year old senile grandpa accidentally runs over a champion, he will then have to fight to defend the earth realm?"
"Yeah, I guess so."
"Well let me ask ya something, can we make that movie instead?"

Not gonna lie, I would totally watch that movie. :rotfl: 

• ROFL 1