Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

WandaVision (Disney+ 2021) [SPOILERS]

First two episodes are out!

Spoiler for both episodes

So we had the S.W.O.R.D logo, and the Hydra logo. I'm wondering if the guy in the bee keeper suit coming out of the manhole is a reference to AIM? Someone on one of the reddit threads mentioned that the commercials may link to trauma Wanda suffered at some point (the toaster making an Iron Man repulsor sound and a ticking supposed to represent a bomb, and the Strucker watch referencing her creation/torture at the hands of Baron Von Strucker) which I think is kinda interesting. And finally, the person on the radio calling out for Wanda sounded kinda like Rhodey, to me.

I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Edit:

THIS IS NOW A SPOILER TOPIC.  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Pffft fuck that noise, I just want to revel in the "Bewitched" vibes and enjoy having both Anya and Kitty back on my screen.

Both episodes were hilarious. Too short though. 30 minutes felt like 10 each.

That's because there was around 7 minutes of credits.

Saw someone say that at some point in Age of Ultron, Wanda said her and Pietro watched a lot of Nick at Night, which if true would make sense given how early sitcom-y everything was.

I was actually shocked too that they were half hour eps and not hour long ones that I'm used to from Marvel TV. Also kinda sad that there was no easter eggs at the end of credits.

Spoiler
13 hours ago, MT said:

Someone on one of the reddit threads mentioned that the commercials may link to trauma Wanda suffered at some point

I'm going to 2nd this because of how she acted at the end when
1. When Hart was choking on his food and Vision almost looked like he was looking (pleading possibly) for permission to do something (even if he didn't use his powers and just did the Heimlich.)
2. When Dottie confronts Wanda saying she "heard things" about her and Vision.
3. Beekeeper man comes out and she firmly says "NO" and then the scene rewinds, meaning that for whatever is happening to them. Wanda is (possibly) at least consciously consenting to be part of this.

Also who bets that the Neighbor on the Right was possibly the hand we see taking notes in ep 1 ending and that Ralph is made up?

I have to believe it was intentional, but the extra pause when Wanda was asked about their children gave me goosebumps.

Spoiler

As much as I would love to believe and ship WanVi babehs, that happening has GOT to be part of the illusion. A coping mechanism/distraction tactic for Wanda. Unless she has been under long enough in reality for them to do experiments on her and Vision. possibly. But I'm willing to bet she's not preggers.

Many on Reddit assume the voice is Agent Jimmy Woo (Randal Park), who is in a trailer for the show.

I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m here for it 

Comic spoilers (probably tangentially related to the story of the show):

Spoiler

In the comics she got pregnant, had kids, then later went crazy and they were revealed to be made up because she was crazy (then we got House of M)

Show spoils:

Spoiler

I definitely feel like she has lost it, quite possibly because Vision is dead (still).  This is all her either totally crazy or somehow someone is taking advantage of her.  The point where Dottie breaks character for a minute is a very not so subtle hint about the fact she's controlling everything around her (Wanda's powers are ridiculously powerful which they alluded to when they were having her destroy Vision).

I'm definitely intrigued by this show.  It's cool.  I do wish the episodes were longer though.  Seem to just fly by.  Wonder if they'll get longer and the short times are part of the theme lol.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed it. The vibe from the show is exactly what I was hoping for.

Caught the SWORD logo right away so interested in what they're up to. Been waiting for them to pop up since a few seasons back on Agents of SHIELD when they started getting all spacey with it. Definitely feel like what is happening here is Wanda kind of curled in on herself after what happened to Vision. SWORD is trying to help her, but she's rebuking them (seems even more apparent with how she reacted at the end).

What I'm curious about is if she's altered reality around her or has moved herself into a weird alternate universe of some sort (or both). Kevin Feige mentioned that this, the next Dr. Strange movie and the next Spider-man movie are all a sort of "loose trilogy" of some sort and based on the title of the Dr. Strange movie (and that Wanda will be involved in it in some way), and what we know of Spider-man so far, it definitely reasons that this is somehow multiverse related.

Expecting this will culminate in Vision coming back for real regardless of what is actually going on in it.

• Like 1

Yeah I wasn't meaning in a "possible plot point" manner, just in a "nod to the comics fans" way. If it was intentional, the acting was spot on.

• Like 1

One friend on my FB pointed out that the sitcom shows they're representing were 1/2 hour shows which could explain why they are so short right now. 

So it does make sense if thought of that way and give the possibility that they may get longer down the line. 

8 hours ago, webhead said:

Comic spoilers (probably tangentially related to the story of the show):

Hide contents

In the comics she got pregnant, had kids, then later went crazy and they were revealed to be made up because she was crazy (then we got House of M)

Thank you Web for explaining that. I'm fine with Comic spoilers since I know I'm not as in depth with reading those story arcs. 

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Expecting this will culminate in Vision coming back for real regardless of what is actually going on in it.

That's my thought.  There's no way he stays dead like that.  They've barely explored the character.

@Mera'din

Actually can this just be a spoiler topic now?  Putting everything in spoiler tags is dumb.  Everyone knows the show exists lol.

• Like 2

That was the only reason I was typing in spoiler caps was because this wasn't officially made a spoiler topic on the title. 

If anyone for some reason objects to this being a spoiler topic lemme know otherwise, let's just talk normal.  If you ain't caught up, GET OUT. :O

• Like 2

That's one thing I like about the streaming shows overall is there's no "set" length to episodes like they usually need to adhere to with network TV. Episodes of the Mandalorian were all over the place anywhere from 32 min. to 54 min. and were as long as the story they were telling needed to be. Definitely expecting to see that with this one.

Yeah I don't fuck with Spoiler tags any more. We have like... 5 people per topic :lol: if you haven't watched the show wtf you doing clicking a topic beyond the first post?

I'm thinking Wanda tried to get away from things, so she hid out in some town, got freaked out by something, and the entire town is now stuck in some sort of sitcom world, but Wanda has no idea she's doing it.

Someone also said that the toy helicopter was supposed to be a real helicopter that crashed, and Monica Rambeau (the black woman in the second episode) was piloting it, and now she's stuck in Wanda's world too.

Saw that theory on reddit and I think it's pretty plausible.

• Like 2

The actress is confirmed in Captain Marvel II

Screenshot_20210116-183746_Chrome.jpg

Oh shit.  That's awesome. :shiny:

:mosh: 

I'm on board with what MT posted then. Definitely seems like what is happening. As things start to bleed into her sphere of influence more and more, I wonder if that's where we'll see the "style" shifts. The helicopter being such a jarring thing that it was in color, then the blood, and the fear of someone finally "breaking" in forced her to alter the "narrative" and everything shifted to being in color to try and guard from similar intrusions.

Kind of wonder if they won't semi-pull from the comics for the end of this and have it culminate in her "coming back" to reality, finding out her kids (and possibly Vision depending on how that side of it goes) weren't real, and REALLY looses it and basically shatters reality and fixing that will be where Dr. Strange comes in since this is supposed to directly set up for his next movie from what I read.

• Shiny 1

It will be REALLY weird to go the House Of M route without first building up the mutants though. I mean, I would rather a pseudo-HOM than none, but still.

Spoiler

I just wanted to spoiler in the spoiler thread

• ROFL 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mean that they'll actually do House of M or anything even approaching it, just that they'll pull from the comics in terms of her completely kicking reality in the nuts and breaking it badly enough that it requires outside intervention (relating to the upcoming Dr. Strange and Spider-man movies in some form or another).

• Like 2

Looks like Wanda's controlling that little area they're in, but it's got SWORD oversight. Not sure if she's there of her own free will or not, though. I get the feeling she is, only because she keeps rewinding to try and fix things. I think the other people in the town are SWORD agents as well. It would make sense, having someone keeping an eye on her on the inside.

I was really hoping the commercial would be about Tahiti instead of Hydra Soak, but I guess that wouldn't have made as much sense because there's no real reason Wanda should know about Tahiti and what happened with Coulson.

Definitely agree that the neighbors and townsfolk are SWORD agents. But then why would they be worried about Geraldine being "new in town with no family/home/etc." And after she got booted out what we now see is a HUGE forcefield that Wanda created. (I was imagining it being her in a room locked up and sedated-ish) the soldiers surround her with guns. 

So is she a double agent? Or is there something else we aren't seeing?

I still think Wanda is doing this willingly. She seems very determined to ignore the bigger issues like when Vision pointed out there might be something wrong with her and when she was remembering her brother. Including the lullaby. SWORD might be monitoring things to make sure whatever is going on in "her town" doesn't effect the rest of reality and the world on a bigger scale? 

• Like 1

it took me way too long to realize you were referring to Geraldine. God bless subtitles, I would never know anyone's name ever

• ROFL 2

Thank you I knew I was spelling it wrong 🤣

I'm just dumb, instead of reading your whole comment I stopped on the name and was like wait who is this did I miss something and like mentally checked over character names I knew in my head and then kept reading and was like OH 

i was briefly convinced I'd missed an entire scene :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

So I watched a breakdown YouTube vid and it helped make a tiny bit more sense for me. I will put it in a spoiler tag just because he does talk about some comic stuff that could be spoiler potential and there is 1 spoiler alert he gives on some info at the end of the video that I decided not to watch on the off chance it was future episode talk stuff. 

Spoiler

It's one a week, dude 😛

• ROFL 1

To be fair how long has it really been since we've had weekly updates to be all tingly with anticipation for that ISN'T Mandalorian? (Been too long for me really)

11 hours ago, Garlic Junior said:

Wait, episode 3 has aired? I thought it was still a week out!

*mutters at Disney*

Every Friday. :thumbs:

They're definitely drip feeding the story.  I kinda feel like they're really milking this when it's fairly obvious what's going on to some extent but I'm still enjoying the ride. :nod:

Also lol:

p93e0nfdxyc61.jpg

• ROFL 3

I don't think all of the town people are SWORD agents. I think some of the more prominent characters probably are though. I think the basics of what are going on is relatively clear, but I wouldn't call what they're doing "drip feeding" the story. It might feel that way to an extent with fore knowledge of the character from the comics, but anyone I've talked to that doesn't know all of that stuff is pretty entrenched in the mystery. From the standpoint of the story itself, we don't know the first thing about SWORD and have just started to get strong context clues with this last episode. It flows well stylistically too.

Aside from that, it feels like the REAL mystery here is Vision. The way people have started interacting with him, it's like they're trying to appeal to him to notice that something is wrong as Wanda is clearly a willing participant. Though it seems like the people on the outside may not be aware of that fact. The two neighbors seemed intent on cluing Vision in that she wasn't supposed to be there, and they seemed frightened of the fact that she was with Wanda. If they are agents, they must know that appealing to her is fruitless, but Geraldine's approach seems to indicate that those on the outside are unaware of this (though not for much longer based on the episodes end).

Conversely, it's possible this was all intentional and SWORD is (or at least originally was) helping Wanda as a means to revive Vision. Shuri was in the process of copying his data over so they could get rid of the Mind stone but it was interrupted. Perhaps what's happening here is they're attempting to "complete" the process by instilling a set of memories into the empty spaces of what they were able to copy. He's clearly self aware of what he is, but beyond that his memories of events seem to be absent and even when he starts to realize something is off, it never extends to true memories of what had happened (counter to Geraldine mentioning Ultron when she was starting to remember). Either way, Wanda may have had ulterior motive, or her compromised mental state led to the process going awry and now SWORD is attempting to intervene to save the people trapped in her delusion.

• Like 3

I'm sad the Bewitched aesthetics are gone already, but I do like the new setup. Wonder if it'll jump ahead some more and give us a "Friends" esque sitcom before series end.

The big question is - does Wanda will Tommy and Billy into being in the "real" life? (Is this setting her up as a potential villain? :O). I'm so excited.

Can anyone let me know what we know of SWORD from Agents of Shield or whatever? I have less than zero desire to go revisit that show.

• Like 1

I never finished the last season, but I don't think SWORD has officially been in anything outside of comics before this show.

• Like 1

I read an article about the episode a little bit ago that has me wondering. When Agnes and Herb are trying to tell Vision about what's going on, doesn't that take place while Wanda is fuming with Geraldine in the house? Maybe she sort of lost concentration in keeping the illusion alive, and that's why Herb and Agnes were finally able to try and say something to Vision.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MT said:

I never finished the last season, but I don't think SWORD has officially been in anything outside of comics before this show.

Yeah, there were a couple times I was expecting it to set up for SWORD (especially when they all woke up in space for that one season finale) but then the story turned a completely different direction. Think the closest it got was a cheeky pseudo-reference (one of the characters jokingly asking that if they're SHIELD, is there a division called SPEAR or something like that).

Looking it up, it appears they WANTED to use SWORD in Agents of SHIELD, but Marvel shut the idea down. They're also mentioned in a deleted scene from the first Thor movie I guess. Seems a little dickish they shut the idea down for Agents of SHIELD considering it was supposed to be a sub-division of SHIELD AND Joss Whedon created it. XD

Regardless, if we're finally getting SWORD, we better get Abigail Brand too. :O 

• Like 1

Okay, thanks :) I won't ask about comic stuff as I want to keep that a surprise then.

Also that theory makes sense MT, was Wanda being out of sorts when he was strimming the brick wall too? 

That might be possible, especially if Wanda is legit pregnant and had the twins for real vs willing them into existence in this illusion because pregnancies already alter things chemically in the body. She might have had baby brain at that time so to speak. :sweat:

So we finally get some answers. According to those cops, the town of Westview doesn't exist, but i'm not clear on if they mean it never existed, or that from what they can tell it's like it didn't (because everyone's gone). I'm assuming the first, since they probably weren't able to go inside. Side note, holy shit was that intro intense, with people coming back from the Snap. I don't think we've seen that part in any of the movies, outside of the tiny bit in Spider-Man: Far From Home. But yeah, it was cool to see Darcy and Jimmy Woo again, i'm wondering if anyone else will be making an appearance at some point. 

So it seems like Wanda is fully in control of what happens in Westview, and maybe she's done something to help her forget it until she's reminded of it? I really wish they had shown what happened to the agent crawling in the sewers when Wanda "rewound" that moment. I'm also kinda curious why more of those drones weren't found all around Westview, considering how many SWORD sent in. 

Wanda's taken Westview hostage in her mental breakdown. In a nutshell. 

I fucking got all tingly when they started the ep from people coming back from The Snap. Just holy fuck that sucks for Monica that she never got to day goodbye to her mom. :crying:

I wanted to scream at the cops when they said Westview didn't exist "YOU HAVE A GIANT BILLBOARD SAYING WELCOME TO WESTVIEW RIGHT BEHIND YOU" but the fact that Monica and Wu didn't point it out to them makes me wonder if they could see it or if they didn't waste time trying to point out something they clearly didn't think was there. 

KAAAAAAT :shiny::shiny::shiny:

Agreed on the missing agent and drones. 

I cringed when Wanda saw post dead Vision for that moment. Her illusion is cracking in bits now that SWORD more or less "accidentally" became aware of this happening from a missing persons report.  Things are gonna get fucking good here. 

Just finished the newest episode. Holy shit. :eek:

Seeing dead Vision freaked me out.

That was amazing. I had just rewatched Infinity War beforehand too so the Vision scene REALLY hit home.

I love this. Committing to the Snap has left so many avenues open for exploration.

Amazing episode. Amazing show.

Between the Vision scene and Monica blipping back, we have a rough timelime vs movies of when this is happening. Def after Endgame but not fully sure how far after that. 

I blame my friend for this image in my head so suffer with me, seeing Dead Vision for that brief moment, does that possibly mean that this is Vision's corpse Wanda is manipulating like a puppet or illusion Vision? Because he seems under her control until he has his moments of second guessing.

-What happened to the missing Agent?

-What happened to the other drones?

-Are we gonna bounce between WandaTown and Reality outside the barrier in future episodes?

Based on the 1 min. sneak peek they put up after the episode came out, we'll get more sitcom stuff and more outside stuff. Seems like as time goes on, Wanda's control is going to slip more often which we saw in some of the original trailers too.

Other points of interest in the sneak peek that I caught:

- Military vehicles driving full speed at the town's barrier.

- What looked like it may have been Wanda exiting the barrier ready to throw down.

- Vision questioning more and more and trying to exit the town.

- Wanda and Vision having a standoff.

This shit is going to get intense. 😮 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Between the Vision scene and Monica blipping back, we have a rough timelime vs movies of when this is happening. Def after Endgame but not fully sure how far after that. 

I blame my friend for this image in my head so suffer with me, seeing Dead Vision for that brief moment, does that possibly mean that this is Vision's corpse Wanda is manipulating like a puppet or illusion Vision? Because he seems under her control until he has his moments of second guessing.

-What happened to the missing Agent?

-What happened to the other drones?

-Are we gonna bounce between WandaTown and Reality outside the barrier in future episodes?

They stated that Monica was back at work 3 weeks after the return of everyone who got dusted, and it seems SWORD etc reacted to her going into Westview within a day or two tops? I'm assuming it's only been around a month since everyone returned, however I guess they could have been monitoring for longer.

Also I didn't catch this (cause I ain't rewatching Captain Marvel any time soon) but Monica was in that film too?

• Like 1

She was, she was the daughter of Carol's friend from the Air Force.

• Like 1

Yeah. Monica's in Captain Marvel as a kid. Maria's daughter, Carol calls her Lieutenant Trouble.