Vic Boss

Which Cheap Video Game Should I Buy?

Which Cheap Game Should I Buy?  

6 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should I get One Gaemu?

• PS4 Ikaruga
    • PS3 Daytona USA
    • PS4 Sanic Mania (have beaten Switch Version)
    • WiiU Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (used to rent but didn't play extensively)
    • PS4/Switch ACA Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble (have played one of these before, also played WiiWare version)
    • PS4/Switch ACA Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble 2 (have played one of these before, also played WiiWare version)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Should I get Two Gaemu?

• PS3 Virtua Fighter 2
    • PS3 Revenge of Shinobi
    • PS3 Gunstar Heroes (Have played)
    • PS3 Streets of Rage 2
    • PS3 Golden Axe
    • PS3 Comix Zone
    • PS4 Doom 64
    • PS4 Contra Anniversary Collection (Have only played Contra III: The Alien Wars on SNES, still have the catridge :bandit:)
    • None of the above

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/20 at 12:33 PM

I just bought the digital version of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and the Conquest path of Fire Emblem Fates, have about $12ish left on the card I'm using ($15ish on PSN).

First list = that's the only game I can get (because CAD to USD sucks), second list = I can get two of them if there's nothing interesting on the first list, so you can pick more that one

So which game or combination of games should I buy with it? Heavy Sega emphasis because I've been watching a lot of Sega Lord X the last little while since the quarantine shut down large parts of wrestling and anime for a few months. I'll pick up whatever wins the poll on Wednesday

re: Genesis games, I do have the PS4 collection already but the PS3 Ports have more trophs attached to the individual games so I'll play both versions either way.

Only game I won't play right away that I listed is Doom 64, but if that one gets picked I'll play OG Doom 1 on PS4 instead (game used to scare the shit out of me on the SNES and tbh kinda still does).

Let's talk about fucking VIDYA

Nothing really grabs me in the first list. I voted for Streets of Rage 2 and the Contra Collection. You haven't played the NES Contra games??? And Streets of Rage games are fantastic. 

I also back Gunstar Heroes and Golden Axe big time. Surely you've played Golden Axe before though..?

• Like 1

Glad to see all the Gunstar Heroes love up in here. :mosh:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, little birdy said:

Nothing really grabs me in the first list. I voted for Streets of Rage 2 and the Contra Collection. You haven't played the NES Contra games??? And Streets of Rage games are fantastic. 

I also back Gunstar Heroes and Golden Axe big time. Surely you've played Golden Axe before though..?

I think I've played the NES Contra game on emulator for like 10 minutes before shutting it off because I died too much, but I was only counting games that I've either beaten or played pretty extensively as "played before"

I think I played Golden Axe a little bit for a trophy in the Xbox 360 Genesis collection, but I never owned a Genesis so I never played it all that much

Combined with the Center vote so far, Contra Anniversary is winning and then a bunch of others have 2

Should I count double dips and/or verbal support (which is weird because all the verbal support is mostly for the second list which you can pick more than one thing on)

:chin:

(Also tie-breakers will go to the second list because that's more games) 

10 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

I think I've played the NES Contra game on emulator for like 10 minutes before shutting it off because I died too much, but I was only counting games that I've either beaten or played pretty extensively as "played before"

I think I played Golden Axe a little bit for a trophy in the Xbox 360 Genesis collection, but I never owned a Genesis so I never played it all that much

You've gotta play Contra and Super C, they're classics. Though once you get good at them, they aren't very long games. If you're not crazy about them then perhaps there is not much replay value there. I also think Golden Axe is one of those "you've gotta play it before you die" kinda games as well. It was even featured a bit in Hi Score Girl IIRC. Do it for Akira!

Second look at the first list, and I actually would back Ikaruga and Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble. Probably should have given a vote to one of them.

I guess it comes down to what genre you think you're going to get the most out of (puzzle, run'n'gun, shmup, beat 'em up)

I plan on playing them all at some point or another, this is more of an "inject your personal tastes into the last purchase this gift card can make" deal. It can only buy one from the first list or two from the second list, so whichever everyone likes best is whatever I'll play next when the Switch isn't available (after Detroit)

Puyo Puyo Champions is on sale on the PS Store right now, that would be my pick for a puzzle game

• Like 1

Aight, gonna exclude Psycho's dupe votes and include votes for the second list that got mentioned in-thread but weren't actually voted on. Center + OSF

4 Ikaruga (1 Mention, Birdy also said "or Puzzle Bobble" but this one's closer)

2 Daytona USA

2 Ogre Battle 64

4 Contra Anniversary

3 Streets of Rage 2

3 Gunstar Heroes (2 Mentions)

2 Comix Zone

2 Virtua Fighter 2 (1 Mention)

1 Doom 64

1 Golden Axe (1 Mention)

Contra's got the tiebreaker right now because it'll let me get one more gaemu (probs give that tiebreaker to SoR2 because it was actually voted on in polls), 24 hours remain :eek:

How many $$$ are you short to get Ikaruga + Contra?

I have enough money to buy all of'em but I'm holding onto it for fall/winter because I don't believe for a second Nintendo's gonna release Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy all together in one too-good-to-be-true package :lurk:

2 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

I have enough money to buy all of'em but I'm holding onto it for fall/winter because I don't believe for a second Nintendo's gonna release Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy all together in one too-good-to-be-true package :lurk:

I hope they do but yeah, this is Nintendo so they're gonna milk it hard. :-/

Awriiight, David and Jenny both added votes, David voted for strictly Ogre Battle 64 and Jenny added on to the three current front-runners

Contra Anniversary and Streets of Rage 2 it is. Thanks for the input, guys, will be playing as a side-games after I 100% Detroit :)

• Like 1

:thumbs:

Have fun with Contra!

• Like 2

Ogre Battle 64 is a really solid RPG that is very unique in comparison to any other RPG series and didn’t get its due credit during its day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garlic Junior said:

Why SOR2 not SOR4? Do you have 4 already?

Judging by the other games included in the poll, he is looking to play some of the classic Sega games rather than the latest entry in the series.  

2 hours ago, Garlic Junior said:

Why SOR2 not SOR4? Do you have 4 already?

SoR4 is a $33 game and I only had like $15ish left on the combo gift card and my PSN wallet

We do have SoR4 on the Switch but I'll probs just get the PS4/trophy version eventually so I haven't really played it

• Like 1

Streets Rage!  That's the one I forgot to load into Retroarch!  Definitely need to do that.

If you can't tell someone is really into SoR4 right now. 

I want to play it as well, but other things going on right now...