Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garlic Junior

What is the most vital program on your PC?

Putting aside Firefox and Steam I'd say Discord.  After messaging apps... I really get a lot of mileage these days from Windows Terminal.  I've got an Ubuntu instance I use to SSH into my various severs and it's so much nicer than all the windows programs I've used for SSH.

• Like 1

It's the web browser for sure (Firefox).

On my laptop provided by work then I guess the most vital program is the VPN client to connect to our server, and then once I'm logged in it's the ERP software, Outlook, and Excel (ugh) that I spend all of my time in.

When I had more time for hobby projects, I'd always have Emacs running on my MacBook with something to work on, and I'd spend quite a bit more time in the terminal. But really these days my MacBook is more of a paper weight than anything else. I spend the whole day on a computer at work when I'm not travelling or out on sales calls. Evenings/weekends I try to keep away from my computer. Any browsing/emailing/messaging I need to do can be accomplished on my phone. My MacBook Air is a 2013 or 2014 IIRC, still going strong, but whenever it kicks the bucket, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to get another laptop of any sort.

• Like 1

I assumed web browsers were excluded because obvious.

It's pretty much centered around PC gaming so... No I don't think so or at least that's an odd perception.

Photoshop... :panic: I kind of want to try Clip Studio though, as I feel like all my eggs are in one basket right now with PS. Would be reassuring to have another workable option, so that when I eventually can't use CS6 anymore I know I have a choice when it comes to whether to give Adobe money every month or not.

Yeah their rent seeking behavior now is pretty disgusting tbh.  Giving the OPTION to pay monthly was a great idea.  Making that the only way to play is just money grubbing.

Yeah, and if I'm using a program professionally and earning a wage then I'm prepared to spend money on those tools for the job, even if it is eye-watering. But I want to buy the tool, not rent it. As you say, it's good to have a subscription option but if that's the only option it ends up feeling like you're being held to ransom.