Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

The Mandalorian (Disney+) (2019)

Star Wars: The Mandalorian takes place a few years "after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order" and follows "a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic".

• Like 1

Jesus what is the budget on this?  There's a hell of a lot going on there.

Also why is the video quality so terrible on that trailer? :rotfl:

Anyway...seriously, I'm VERY interested in this. :D

First episode was pretty good. Also, that ending....can't say I saw that coming.

A baby whatever species Yoda is.

😮 

Also, for some reason I didn't realize this takes place after Return of the Jedi, I was thinking it was between Episode 3 and 4.

Yep. It's post Empire. Which is nice, the few books they've done in that time gap have been pretty good. I really enjoyed it overall and look forward to them going deeper into the Mandalorian history. The quick flashbacks they showed in the episode looked WAY more interesting than the stuff dealing with them in Rebels. 

Definitely was not expecting the ending either. Interested to see where that goes. Lots of interesting characters too. The bounty hunter droid had me laughing pretty good. Whole episode felt like a good balance of interesting stuff, serious stuff and funny stuff.

This is p. fun.

This is totes gonna be the prequels to episodes 10-12, where they have to fight a newly risen Mandalorian crusade with Babby Yoda

Ep. 5

People are saying the person at the end could possibly be Boba Fett, mainly because of where this episode takes place (Tatooine, around the Dune Sea/Mos Eisley). That would be interesting, but I dunno if they'll do it. In the old canon, Fett manages to somehow escape the sarlacc pit he was thrown into in Jedi.

• Like 1

In my mind, the season-ending cliffhanger is Mando coming face to face with Boba

I'm kind of on the fence about whether I want him to be alive or not. They insinuated he could be dead in the Aftermath books when a former slave on Tatooine acquires a set of Mandalorian armor that had been scavenged by Jawas and becomes sheriff of a small town on the planet. Not necessarily his, but I don't know that there's any particular way a set of Mandalorian armor would have wound up on Tatooine otherwise. XD

I'm not against him being alive though because I would like to see Boba Fett have to deal with real Mandalorians and how it would go down. Also, the guy that played Jango Fett is apparently pretty keen to do more Star Wars stuff as was the original actor for Boba Fett (though with him specifically, he was interested in the Force Awakens), so why not?

It's back! One hell of a first episode.

When the marshall first showed up in Boba Fett's armor, I got a huge smile on my face, but then figured it probably wasn't actually him. Timothy Olyphant was a good replacement though, I really liked his character. Also holy shit at that reveal at the end, I didn't think they would do it but they did and I was so happy. Can't wait to see what comes from that.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:35 AM, Mera'din said:

Hide contents

I'm kind of on the fence about whether I want him to be alive or not. They insinuated he could be dead in the Aftermath books when a former slave on Tatooine acquires a set of Mandalorian armor that had been scavenged by Jawas and becomes sheriff of a small town on the planet. Not necessarily his, but I don't know that there's any particular way a set of Mandalorian armor would have wound up on Tatooine otherwise. XD

I totally forgot you said this, but that's kind of awesome that they brought him into the "cinematic" world

Ready to watch it tonight if the wife and I can stay up after the kids are in bed. 

On 10/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, MT said:

I totally forgot you said this, but that's kind of awesome that they brought him into the "cinematic" world

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm really happy they used him. He was an interesting character (though they didn't do his story justice in the show. There was a LOT more to it, but I get they need to keep the story moving. Involved a baby Hutt, among other things). Was hoping we would see him in some capacity eventually just because of the armor. As much as I was on the fence about Fett still being alive though, getting that glimpse of Temuera Morrison at the end had me super excited.

Episode 5

Thrawn!

:shiny: Also it was cool to see a live action version of Ahsoka. I don't really have any sort of connection to the character, but I get why a bunch of other people were excited she was going to be in this. I sure hope Thrawn actually shows up, that would be awesome.

Spoiler

Was definitely not expecting her to ask about Thrawn. Figured she would ask about Giddeon and the darksaber to be helping Bo-Katan... I think there needs to be a unanimous agreement to always refer to the child as Baby Yoda.

:hide:

I'll agree to that.

:mosh:

These episodes have been like early Christmas lately. Bo-katan, then Ahsoka and now Thrawn? Yes, please. Thrawn making even a cameo would be amazing. They just released a new book for another Thrawn trilogy recently but I think those are prequels about his time in the Chiss Ascendency so it would be nice to get some info on what happened with him after Rebels.

Also, I don't mind the child's name. It's at least better than 90% of the shit people have been calling him. XD

Honestly surprised they went through with even giving him one.

Spoiler

People don't like his name? I think it's adorable, I love it! 

• Like 1

I fucking love this show so much. Star Wars done right.

Nice to see Boba's still got it, and may have even improved since ROTJ. Watching him fight was fucking amazing, and those Dark Troopers?

:drool: 

Also, this episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez (director of Desperado, and Once Upon A Time In Mexico, among other things), which seeing how action packed it was, doesn't really surprise me one bit.

Spoiler

So i'm watching with my aunt and i start geeking out when Slave1 appears and going "BOBA FETT!" :whoop:. She says "who's that?"  And i just say i don't have the time to explain the brilliance of this character or how bad ass he is.

:hide:

At least she knows now

• Like 1

Boba keeps talking and I'm like "STOP TALKING THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE THE ASIAN CHICK THERE, SHE CAN TALK."

It should be like Clint Eastwood from Gran Torino meeting Clint Eastwood from the Dollars Trilogy where Mando and Boba just kind of grunt back and forth at each other and understand it just fine.

That "YO, THAT'S SLAVE-1" moment was pretty hype

Episode was great. One thing that I couldn't help but think about though...

The Mandalorian was being a complete fucking knob for half the episode. "Hey kid. We gotta go." *runs at giant force energy beam and gets thrown across shrine*

Din Djarin:

r488a47ti2f51.jpg.25126bdba05c5718f83e53422cfb9587.jpg

This week's ep:

Good to see Boba kept those seismic charges from Attack of the Clones, those things were bad ass. Also, how about that new paint job on his armor? Dude is looking fresh.

new prediction

Spoiler

right before mando, while cradling Grogu in one arm, shoots Moff Gideon in the face he says "Don't talk to me or my son ever again"

• Like 1
  • ROFL 2

Those Dark Troopers are scary as hell, I hope we see more of them at some point. Seeing them handled so easily by Luke makes me think otherwise, though. Also good god was that CG Luke 

awful. The darksaber being turned on looked sketchy, but it pales in comparison to just how bad Luke looked. Mark Hamill was listed in the credits, although it's hard to tell if he actually voiced Luke in this, or was another voice somewhere else.

Also fuck yes at Boba getting some closure with Jabba's palace. To see Bib Fortuna all fat and shit was hilarious.

I am totally looking forward to what they do next (which will be out in December of next year, from what they said at the end of this episode).

I was a a bit behind and finally caught up last night. Both those last two episodes were fantastic. Wonky CG deaging aside (should have just went all in on casting a young Luke. Sebastian Stan would be perfect for that shit XD ), that whole moment was cool as hell. I've seen some bitching about how it's just another Star Wars thing dragged into the "Skywalker" orbit, etc. but I don't think it was meant to be like that at all. We're not going to see Luke running around making appearances throughout the series from here on. It was a way to tie up the story with the Child and have a cool cameo or two and move on. Same with Ahsoka. 

I'm curious if they'll do a time jump to after the new Jedi temple falls so that they can keep Grogu in the show or if they'll contrive another reason for him to stop training with Luke to bring him back. I don't think the show NEEDS him exactly, but the bond between him and the Mandalorian is kind of a central point of the show at this point and it would feel weird without him there.

I'd like to think we'll see the Dark Troopers again too. They were too cool not to use again (that fucking music too. Holy shit, that was an amazing contrast to the rest of the music in the series. :O )  Granted Luke laid into them something awful, but I think that was more to show just how powerful a Jedi really is than anything. Just one of those things nearly fucked the guy up and there won't always be a Jedi around to save peoples asses. Would be a waste not to use them again somewhere.

Also really intrigued by a Boba Fett spin off. Loved the barfight with the other Mandalorians and it makes me wonder if they won't try to pull in some more old EU stuff and have him eventually become The Mandalore. 

welp my prediction was off RIP me BUT ALSO

Spoiler

I feel like I am the only one who got immediately ANGRY instead of hype when the x-wing comes in and the realization that Luke is there to save the day. Instead of being a normal ass person who was like HOLY SHIT IT'S LUKE THIS IS GONNA BE FUN my Debbie Downer brain was like "That is Luke and if Luke is here to take the child then THAT MEANS THAT GROGU IS GONNA GET OFFED BY KYLO REN ARE THEY SERIOUSLY GOING TO DO THIS TO ME" and then was watching the whole thing like >:|

Obviously there's plenty of other things that can happen but I apparently hate myself and hate fun lmfao

I can live with that casting.

• Like 1

Finished it a couple weeks ago.  Fucking great season.  Don't have a LOT to add onto what others said except about the end

Spoiler

There's enough time that Grogu doesn't get killed with Luke's people lol.  Or maybe we'll get lucky and they'll retcon those garbage movies. :shiny:

This is actually the biggest part of why the way they took things with Luke in the sequels just completely closed off all kinds of cool offshots and stories.  It just makes everything fucking pointless and I hate it.

I fully expect Grogu to be gone by that point. I also doubt everyone got killed no matter what is inferred anyway. Even Order 66 didn't get EVERYONE. Either way, there's at least 20 years between the time Grogu leaves with Luke and Ben wrecking the Jedi school so plenty of time for Luke to do some cool things. Hell, there's a solid 5 years between Return of the Jedi and Luke taking Grogu if they really want to squeeze some interesting Luke stuff in somewhere. Rumor's are popping up about them pulling Mara Jade into the new EU again so I guess we'll see what happens.