Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[DC TV General]

I keep up on the Arrowverse and Black Lightning. I do have interest in watching some of the other stuff (Titans and Doom Patrol) and maybe I'll get to it a little later.

Season 2 of Black Lightning just ended. I don't like the show when it's focusing on storylines involving the two daughters (both of their love-life arcs suck and the one major filler arc was focused on Thunder) but I do like it when it's focused on anything else (regular black-people issues shit, organized crime shit, Tuskegee-style government experiments that created meta-humans, a meta-human arms race). Tobias Whale might be the best character on any of these shows (acks probs not better than Thawne), it can be a mind-fuck watching him sometimes because they use his being an albino black man to slip in a lot of stuff that looks like racism that I'm not sure they'd be able to do on the show if the character/actor was a white man.

Also they brought back my other favourite character on the show after he'd been MIA the whole time

Lala/Latavius, when he's killed he just returns to life, and anyone he kills ends up as a tattoo on his body and a ghost that only he can see and hear. Good times.

Arrowverse has probably had its strongest collective season. Easily Supergirl's best season, they just introduced

Lex Luthor

, Legends of Tomorrow being the most entertaining it's been so far, and both Flash and Arrow having stronger meta-stories leading into the Crisis on Infinite Earths, though the villains have been pretty weak. Though in Flash's case

Cicada's become a lot more interesting now that he's been replaced by Future Cicada. Presumably this is still all Thawne's doing.

Next season has been announced to be Arrow's last, there's a Batwoman pilot in the works (she's already been introduced in the Elseworlds crossover).

Supergirl S4E16 "The House of L"

God damn, this season :shiny:

0a492b92b3690efc9a554d7110df4083.jpg

I'm hitting up the first episode of Titans because it looks like Doom Patrol is getting some TV airplay on the space channel in Canada and I figured I should probs get on this before it gets too big (made that mistake with Marvel Netflix, I let up and then blinked and suddenly there was 5 more seasons of it).

In the first 10 mins it seemed silly and 2edgy4me but then

Robin beat up some dudes and dragged another dude's face across a broken car door window and said "Batman"

and it turns out it's exactly edgy enough for me :nod:

DC Universe is going to be 80 cents for a month coming up and I'm gonna watch Titans and Doom Patrol then. :nod:

There's this really cool as fuck blood-splatter effect they have whenever anyone gets punched in the face. It goes by so fast that you almost don't catch it, but it's really eye-catching at the same time.

>Robin

>Hawk

>Dove

>Raven

Oh shit, I get the theme now

• ROFL 1

>Starfire

Episode 6 of Titans, man :shiny:

12e7953d304de51a-600x338.jpg

Holy shit, this Jason Todd

How they portray...

...Batman without him being present is interesting as fuck. All the silent comparisons Dick's making between himself and Jason, how Jason knows more and does more while Bruce never told Dick things like the tracking device in his arm. Even that crack Jason makes about how Robin is dressed up in bright colours to draw everyone's attention/be a decoy so Batman can sneak up on them and fuck them up. Bruce is a mental-case, he failed with one ward so he's overcompensating with the new one and ignoring that he's a problem child

Fuck I hope we get the Red Hood storyline in this

I'm getting a subscription in the next few days.  It's weird that you're ahead of me on a comic show. :lol:

• Like 1

Titans S1E8

"Be something else. Someone else."

Bat-shit stealing from Arrow now. We've come full circle.

Titans Ep 9 went a bit too far in the edginess in my opinion.

I really like the character pacing of the series. It doesn't dwell too long on each character though Raven and Robin as the major story-arc characters do get the most screen-time. It's also SO MUCH a Geoff Johns comic series (co-developed the series and wrote a few episodes), but just being acted out instead of illustrated.

@Deimos You still follow any of this stuff?

• Like 1

Titans S1E11/Season End

Damn, man

They didn't even pretend to try to wrap things up.

As the ep was sort of going on I was more like "Do we really need this story because we know it's not real" and then as it went on it was "YES, we absolutely need this story :shiny:"

Dat aftercredits too :jumboshiny:

5 hours ago, DeJaPon said:

SO MUCH a Geoff Johns comic series

eOyRXt1.gif

I still watch The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.

• Like 1

On that note, don't remember if I posted something.

Arrow ending after season 8

I feel sad because Stephen Amell is awesome but the show has been laregely meh from half way through season 3.  There was a nice uptick for Season 5 but otherwise...ehhh....better to end it.  Also:

Felicity is leaving before the next season. :shiny:

They have improved her character greatly in the last few seasons but I still feel like she's ruined forever primarily because of Season 4 tbh. :shrug:

Doom Patrol Ep 1 and 2

Ep 1 was about what I expected after they were introduced in Titans.

Ep 2 went full Grant Morrison pretentious (even mentioned him by name) but it also had a sense of humour about it. This shit was amazing.

Doom Patrol 3

:rotfl:

The Nazi puppet show and Robot Man's fight scene especially :rotfl:

Awriiight, saw a commercial that Krypton is coming back in the near future :drool:

After I watch Titans and Doom Patrol I think I'll watch that first season of Krypton.  I'm watching Young Justice by myself right now because Jovanna basically just does not care either way about it and I want to get to Season 3 quickly HNNNNNG...annoyed that they split it into 2 parts spread apart. :crying:

Arrow

Awwww shiiiit, finally been confirmed

Dig's stepfather's last name is Stewart, meaning Dig is John Stewart, meaning we've basically been doing a Green Arrow/Green Lantern bro-op all this time :lurk:

They even made a subtle wink this episode when his stepdad said "You can't undo those handcuffs with willpower" or something like that :x

• Like 1

Finally got around to finishing Gotham. I know most here hardly watched after a point but I will watched mainly for the villains. I kinda wished they ended it on the episode before the finale ep. I felt like it was meh anti-climatic ep to follow.

• Like 1

Been catching up with Arrowverse.  This season of Arrow is largely boring. 

Spoiler

I don't really like the implication that the flashbacks create (they fail fucking completely and definitively and their kids have to fix it).  The actual stories in the future are interesting but I just hate the implication there.  Loved the Diggle and dad stuff.  That was good.  Got closure on Black Siren too.  Yup, they're buttoning things up.  If we don't see Diggle in some form as a Green Lantern before this shit is all over, we burn down the CW headquarters. :O.O:

This season of Flash is interesting. 

Spoiler

The main villain Cicada is a fucking snooze fest.  I audibly groaned when v2 showed up.

The stuff with Thawne and Nora is interesting as fuck.  We just watched that episode.   Really liked that.   Please give me more of that. :shiny:

Not feeling Legends that much but it's starting to get better.

Spoiler

The main plot of this season is just kind of boring.  I guess now that they got to Neron (John's villain) things are getting a little more interesting.  Drama with Ava and Sarah is snores.  CW drama is sneaking into my Legends.  Pls stop.  Individual episodes are fun and I do think the show is picking up after Nate's dad dies.  Shit was getting just bleh for a while those first few episodes back after the break.

Supergirl I'm also kind of...I dunno. 

Spoiler

I absolutely fucking hate this plotline where an imposter does something bad as the main hero.  It is so fucking old and tired and I was hoping they were actually going to use the Russian Supergirl in a genuinely interesting way...not for a cheap fucking doppleganger trouble in the press story.  I do like the Kara realized the best way to get to the root of this was being a reporter.  That's fun.  The fact the President is basically evil is annoying and I'm souring on Lockwood and all his shit.  I dunno.  I have very mixed emotions on the season.  I both love and hate it. :rotfl:

I am REALLY liking Lex though.  That dynamic between him and Luna is interesting as fuck.  Please give me more.

Flash Season 5 Finale

THAAAAAAAAAAAAWNNNNNNNNNNNNE

Finally catching up on Flash on Netflix (up to season 5 anyways) all I have to say is.....FUCKING time travel! :twitch2:

Lobo is on this season of Krypton and it's wonderful :lol:

New Supergirl costume

I like it.  The pants look works...she looks more badass this way.

Crisis News

Burt Ward joins the Crisis.  Out of left fucking field.  I got really excited then I got really sad because Adam West is dead. :crying: I wonder if they'll use him as the Dick Grayson Batman of his universe.  That'd be p.cool. :shiny:

Brandon Routh will be a multiverse Superman.  I feel really happy he's getting a chance to play Superman again.  It's unfortunate he was in a bad movie because I think he made a good Superman all things considered.  He's a charming dude.  Even crazier...he's going to be fucking Kingdom Come Superman. :O.O:

DC Universe

Doom Patrol renewed for Season 2. :jumboshiny:

Titans Season 2 coming Sept 6th.  A lot sooner than I expected.  Awesome. :unkeke:

• Like 2

:O

• Shiny 1

Titans S2 E1

That felt more like two or three episodes. Sort of felt like they wrapped up last season really quickly and then shuffled half the cast away so we can get to whatever Season 2 is about (or maybe cutting the show's budget?), but then slowed down so we could see that Season 2 is going to be about Deathstroke, and Jorah Mormont as Batman (They cast Alfred to be Batman wtf?)

Titans S2 E2

- Oh good, the previous ep was just the previous season's finale moved ahead to provide a cliffhanger, we're keeping all the cast :nod:

- Awwwww shii, Rose Wilson herewego

- And Dr. Light randomly bombing people, are we gonna de the rape thing even there there's no Ralph or Sue?

- Imagine someone comes flying through your window and you just sit there and look at them instead of jumping back or checking on them or trying to hold them down or some shit because they just busted through your window

Titans S2 E3

- Jason makes a fist, Dick tells him "Don't", Jason throws a punch, Dick puts him down in a second :shiny:

- And then Dick beats Rose multiple times in one sparring session. This Dick Grayson portrayal is pretty GOAT

I like the aesthetic and who they've got playing Batwoman. The set-up is 100% CW Superhero formula, it's pretty much Arrow if Ollie was Detective Lance's daughter and Detective Lance started as a police chief and Felicity's tech-helper role was replaced with Curtis. The villain situation is goofy as fuck (they can never help themselves with Bat-villains, always too silly). We'll see where it goes.

Just finished off Season 2 of Krypton. Much weaker season as they deconstructed a lot of the Krypton society build-up from last season, and weak in the sense that a lot of the major character events of last season were quickly undone and a lot of the plot revolving around them was stupid (they even used a fucking clone once). A lot of the plot of the second season was also very clearly written around the idea that the universe recognizes the main characters as the main characters and things don't progress in a way that felt believable to a population of people. Good showing by Lobo and Braniac. My favourite Zod that I've seen so far (it's almost like if Patrick Stewart had an intense edge to him) and the Braniac voice is creepy as shit. I miss elements of the show but now the show itself, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Harley Quinn is fucking hilarious. Definitely worth watching :rotfl:

On 10/8/2019 at 2:58 AM, Death Rider Mox said:

I like the aesthetic and who they've got playing Batwoman. The set-up is 100% CW Superhero formula, it's pretty much Arrow if Ollie was Detective Lance's daughter and Detective Lance started as a police chief and Felicity's tech-helper role was replaced with Curtis. The villain situation is goofy as fuck (they can never help themselves with Bat-villains, always too silly). We'll see where it goes.

So thus far, I'm kind of liking it and kind of not.  I feel like the needle is a little too far into the drama and not enough actual comic booky stuff.  I can't quite put my finger on it exactly but I think that's what is offputting to me so far about Batwoman.  I still like it for the most part and the story is interesting but sometimes it feels like a slog.

Jovanna and I just caught up completely on the Arrowverse.  Man like every show is fire right now.  The Crisis episodes are so fucking cool.  Who else is watching Crisis and shit right now? :shiny: Can't believe they're fucking splitting the episodes out and I have to wait a fucking month to see the last 2. :crying:

Also started Titans Season 2 now that it's done airing.  Fucking loving it so far.  I feel like they lightened it up JUST a little bit and we are getting some character growth and stuff here.  I am enjoying it.  Things are getting fleshed out.  I fucking love Jason...this show needed his obnoxiousness for a little comic relief now and again.  We just finished episode 8 (Jericho) last night.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:06 AM, Death Rider Mox said:

Titans S2 E4

Oh MAN

Reveal hidden contents

OG flashback era :shiny:

Spoiler

I am really enjoying this back and forth between the old days and the New Titans days.  It's a cool aspect to the show.  On the one hand it would be nice to see a little more superheroing in general with the new crew but then again, they're all actually teenagers and the adults have shit loads of baggage...so they show us where it all came from. :P

Episode 8 and stuff

Spoiler

So I'm not sure what happens next episode obviously but Dick clearly did not KILL Jericho...Jericho saved him from his psychotic father.  Yeah, Dick used him and shit and that's not a super good guy thing to do, but the guy that murders people for money is clearly in the wrong (not to mention the Titans put all their cards on the table with Jericho which I liked).  He must have known there was a possibility someone would follow him to stop his mass murdering father. :uhoh:  Which is why, you know, he saved Dick.

I'm really really curious if they end up going with the story from the Johns run where Jericho ends up living inside Deathstroke for years and coming back to attack the Titans.  That would be really sad and awesome...and fit pretty well in this grimdark universe.

Watched episode 9-11 of Titans last night.

Spoiler

WAS TOTALLY RIGHT.

image.png.4b4a20cbaf93d354cc03110fbea5f2d1.png

I'm warming up a bit to Mormont as Bruce because he kind of fits with the weird ass thing that Dick has going on inside his head but...I dunno there's still something off about him.  Still he is doing a good job with what is not very good casting.  He's still a great actor.

Finally getteing around to catching up to Flash/Legends. I may watch the other eps of just the Crisis crossover (which holy fuck what show DIDN'T they throw in at this point?) I may give Black Lightning another go too. Is it just me or is Legends going the way of Supernatural and just getting extra wacky with the antics?

You really really need to watch the other episodes for crisis or it's going to not make sense.  It's basically a movie.  Each show is just... They're using the time slot and that's about it. It is imperative you watch all the episodes lol.

And yeah legends just went for it long ago.  They know what they are.

• ROFL 1

I know the crossovers are like a movie. This one just felt like this one was more heavy for obvious reasons.

Legends: Kay, I knew it was going in that direction kinda from the last season or so but it just felt "extra" at this point.  :koffing:

I watched Superman and Lois. It was really good actually. They finally stopped trying to grimdark superman and let him be what is supposed to be.

I will be honest tho, the first episode was really hard for me, but not because it was bad or anything. I won't spoil it, but be ready for feels.

Been watching that right now as well.  Show is really good.  It definitely isn't like the other CW shows.  It was made in a completely different way with actual good writing and I'm liking it.

Definitely enjoying them not making Superman so fucking grimdark.  This is the kind of shit I WANT to see!

I've also abandoned the other CW shows (Flash, Supergirl, Legends, Batwoman).  I can't take it anymore.  They're garbage and we have such better shows now.

Doom Patrol has started up as well.  Can't wait to finally watch that. :shiny:

Doom Patrol Season 3 has been great so far. Luckily, I finished Season 2 just as it started releasing because the ending for that season was bullshit. XD