Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

DC Cinematic Universe General

There's no way this is real.  No fucking way.  Everyone hates that guy. :sick:

I'd still rather not.  And they're not going that route pretty much guaranteed lol.

I dunno, maybe the guy can act.  I have a hard time getting past the Twilight thing.  I don't know anything else he's been in and assumed from what little I saw of Twilight that he's a shit actor but maybe he's not and I just don't watch any movies with him in it. :lol:

Not sure how I feel about him being Batman particularly, but having seen him in High Life, I think he gets a bad rap based on being typecast through Twilight.  The dude can act when he's not forced to be a goth teen heartthrob.

52 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Not sure how I feel about him being Batman particularly, but having seen him in High Life, I think he gets a bad rap based on being typecast through Twilight.  The dude can act when he's not forced to be a goth teen heartthrob.

Yeah I'm coming around.  I've been seeing a lot of stuff about him actually being a good actor and just assumed he was shit because of Twilight. :lol:

22 minutes ago, MT said:

Someone tried to get rid of the red filter

The back of his cape kind of gives me Thomas Wayne as Batman vibes, how it's kind of a collar.

Not in love with that tbh but we'll see how it looks when it isn't shitty blurry out of focus crap like this tease is. :P

Never seen him do anything good so the 10 minutes of twilight I watched is all I got as reference. Still noping out of this so fucking hard. 

If there any examples of him actually acting I might watch that and form a different opinion, but as it stands the dude was a terrible choice. 

Edit: Imma go watch The Lighthouse as it looks like the only good non-super pretentious movie he has been in since the 5 minute stint in Harry Potter where he died. 

Not sure any of those movies are really my speed but I've seen enough people talk about his acting that it's worth reconsidering.  Mostly the groans of him being Batman are just knee jerks to an actor who is really only known for a series of bad movies and then a bunch of weird indie stuff that most people have never heard of. :lol:

The Lighthouse has Willam Dafou (did I spell that right?) playing a crazy old lighthouse keeper. That alone would make it entertaining 

3 hours ago, Galeigh said:

Willam Dafou (did I spell that right?) 

No.

An easy way to remember in the future. 

2D7frJQ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Shiny 1

Everything I've seen of him outside of the Twilight stuff (which is panned by most of the people that were in it along with everyone else) looks pretty solid so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Definitely tends to act in stuff I don't have any particular interest in, but he was in 'The King' on Netflix (based on the Shakespeare plays about Henry IV and Henry V ) as the Dauphine and his stuff in that was pretty good (and often hilarious). He's also going to be in that Tenet movie that Christopher Nolan is doing.

Interested in seeing how it goes overall though I'll keep my expectations limited regardless since the DC films tend to be pretty mixed in quality.

Here's his first scene in The King:

Definitely reminiscent of Zero Year.  I'm interested.  It looks kind of bad but if it's a story like that I'm cool with it.

Really not a fan of that cowl. Looks awkward. Like a shitty version of what they did for Daredevil. >_>

Yeah, that's why I'm really hoping this is a Zero Year type of thing because if not, holy hell why? :rotfl:

This actually looks...kinda good?

On 2/15/2020 at 1:20 AM, Mera'din said:

Everything I've seen of him outside of the Twilight stuff (which is panned by most of the people that were in it along with everyone else) looks pretty solid

I agree with this on what couple other roles I've seen him in. Which I'm glad he pushes the box of "that role" he was stuck in and if I recall he wasn't a fan of. Twitard was doomed anyways because the books were absolute shit. Another trailer I've seen him pop up recently with Tom Holland looks interesting as well.

Now as for the Batman.....I'll hold off thoughts until we see a couple more trailers since the first ones always seem to give me hope and then dash it later.

I'm willing to give it a shot for sure with what I'm seeing there. The suit and cowl look a LOT better than they did in the stills and test shoot thing too which is good.

They showed some stuff from James Gunn's Suicide Squad movie too and it looks 10x better than the first just off of the character roster alone. :rotfl: 

They also did a weird animated "teaser" thing for Black Adam which seemed like more of a reminder that it existed and the Rock was playing him than anything but still neat.

Wow that suicide squad cast. :rotfl:

Also yeah the Black Adam trailer was fucking dumb lol.  Might as well have been a poster. :P

The last Suicide Squad was shit. But with this cast and the fact that James Gunn is directing this time. It may a situation of "we're gonna pretend this one didn't exist". Still not a huge fan of the actress playing Harley (I have more hard core HQ fan friends who would argue otherwise but ah well).

I think she's great personality.  Why don't you like her?

I think this movie is pretty much a Mulligan with the added bonus of keeping the good casting (like Viola Davis as Waller fuck yeah).

• Like 2

Part of it is because she's not how I envision Harley, but I know a big part of that is be cause of which version of Harley she's portraying as well. Most of my DC knowledge and experience is from the Batman older movies and the animation series in 1992. I didn't read a whole lot of DC comics vs Marvel when I was younger. I know Harley the Character has evolved a lot so I get why some like this LA version of her. Just not me. :shrug: The portrayal just comes off as meh to me.

Okay, yeah. I'm on board for this one definitely. :rotfl: 

Also, it was confirmed that King Shark is voiced by Sylvester Stallone. :rotfl: 

In other news, I watched the Snyder Cut. I... didn't hate it. It still wasn't what I would call a GOOD movie, but it was WAY more enjoyable than Whedon's version, even despite the completely ridiculous runtime. Also, you could actually follow the fucking story and it wasn't like watching disjointed scenes that someone spliced together with little to no context. Not to mention the actual character development for the "new" characters. And last but not least, they not only acknowledge that Darkseid exists, you actually fucking see him in the damn movie. XD

Also happy they put that Joker scene in it, if only to put my mind at ease about whether, if given a legitimate shot, Leto could have played a decent Joker. The answer is no. No he couldn't. His laugh was good, but I just couldn't get into whatever he was trying to do. It's like he was going for the absolutely wrong kind of crazy or something.

Desi and I watched The Suicide Squad Saturday, it was actually really fuckin good. John Cena was actually impressive and held his own acting alongside Idris Elba.

Margo Robbie was obviously awesome, and Shark King was kinda adorable.

Probably my favorite of the DC movies for sure. Everything about it was great. Even with Idris Elba/Bloodsport being damn near a 1:1 stand in for Will Smith/Deadshot, it showed what the first movie SHOULD have been like in that regard. 

Side note, I watched an interview with Gunn, Cena and Robbie and apparently James Gunn got bored during the pandemic while he was editing the movie and wrote and out the scripts for a full season of a Peacemaker TV show and that's going to be a thing on HBO Max (he's the director for most of the episodes as well). Filming wrapped for it last month and is expected to premiere early next year, so there's that to look forward to I guess. XD

So THAT is what the end credits scene was about

• Like 1

Yep. 

Was expecting it to be a prequel, especially after how the end of the movie played out, but then saw the after credit scene and was like WHELP, GUESS NOT. XD

Bonus fun fact, Robert Patrick (played the T-1000 in Terminator 2) is going to play his father.

Kind of wonder if there will be cameo's from any of the other characters in the movie.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:13 PM, Galeigh said:

John Cena was actually impressive and held his own acting alongside Idris Elba.

If you think about it, Cena's been acting for a long fucking time, just not in the traditional Hollywood sense.

I really enjoyed it, I give it about an 8. The scene leading up to the gentlemen's club kinda slowed things down a bit TOO much, but other than that it was really good.

I absolutely did not see Michael Rooker's character dying so quickly. Pete Davidson I totally could've, maybe even Boomerang considering he was in the first movie. Not really sure what they're planning on doing with Weasel, there's no way they can make a whole movie about him or anything. I'm wondering if the main reason he survives is because he was most likely the one played by Sean Gunn. I still think Margot Robbie as Harley is absolutely perfect, and oh my god did she look amazing in that red dress. King Shark may have been my favorite part of the movie, honestly. I'm glad he made it out in the end.

• Like 2

I wasn't expecting that many characters to go out at once honestly. I figured a good chunk would die throughout the movie definitely, but not within like 5 min. of the movie starting. XD  Margot Robbie continues to shine in that roll for sure. Especially with this writing and directing. I guess she did that entire scene where she's hanging handcuffed from the ceiling herself with no doubles or anything, including grabbing the key with her feet, flipping up and inserting it.