• The Devil's Backbone
    • Blade II
    • Hellboy
    • Pan's Labyrinth
    • Hellboy II
    • Pacific Rim
    • Crimson Peak
    • The Shape of Water

One of my favorite directors! I dunno what movie I'll pick!

I've only seen Blade 2 and Pacific Rim. Stopped me in my tracks for a moment trying to pick between the two, but I think Blade 2 was awesome all around and I seem to remember Pacific Rim feeling either a little long or that it took too long to get to the point.

I think I'm gonna go with Hellboy 2.  Really was a great one.  Pacific Rim and Pan's Labyrinth were great but I dunno.  Hellboy 2 stuck with me.

I really can't disagree there.  That was a fantastic movie. :D

Obvs you guys have never seen Devil's Backbone or The Shape of Water

I did want to see The Shape of Water.  Haven't heard of the other one.

4 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Obvs you guys have never seen Devil's Backbone or The Shape of Water

You’re right. Pan’s Labyrinth is an all-time great though.

Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Mimic are the only 3 outta that list that I haven't seen (or if I have it was forever ago and I don't remember)

But OMG Shape of Water for the villain alone......

I refuse to vote until I actually watch the Shape of Water

It's taken me a long time to come to this conclusion, and I came to it reluctantly. To me; Guillermo Del Toro is hit or miss.

I fucking adore Pan's Labyrinth and the Shape of Water, like... I'm not just praising good kino there for the sake of looking patrician, I genuinely love those movies but so often he leaves me straight cold. Hellboy, for instance, did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't like it on any level. it was abject meh.

Pacific Rim was a spectacular ok. So much, soooo much budget for a film I found basically fine. I go into a Del Toro picture *hoping* it's Pan's Labyrinth but always with the niggling doubt that it's just going to be base geekfeed.

I want to be on board with del toro, but sometimes phhht. It's tough, bros.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed he didn't get to create his vision for a Pacific Rim sequel.  Would have been a lot more compelling than both the original movie and the cashgrab the sequel ended up being.

I don't really have a horse in this race as I've only seen Pacific Rim, Blade II and Hellboy all the way through, and don't feel strongly about any of them enough that I feel comfortable voting them as his best movie.

Didn't know he made Blade II, though.  I love that movie.

What happened on Pacific Rim that he didn't get to do what he wanted?  Studio interference?

I don't remember the specifics, but the studio didn't want a deep, challenging film.  They wanted another blockbuster action movie with big robots, so they got someone else to do it.

His idea was the fallout.  The way the world became with Jaegers as a common commodity and how it affected society, with the only real connection to the first one being in the same universe.

I would have been all over that.

• Like 2