Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lucy

Fruits Basket

FRUBA.thumb.jpg.0cdacb4981d56bd91512746d4d9cfd70.jpg

Premise:

Spoiler

After a family tragedy turns her life upside down, plucky high schooler Tohru Honda takes matters into her own hands and moves out into a tent. Unfortunately for her, she pitches her new home on private land belonging to the mysterious Sohma clan, and it isn't long before the owners discover her secret. But, as Tohru quickly finds out when the family offers to take her in, the Sohmas have a secret of their own...

Staff and cast on ANN

Now that we've reached the date that some lucky people get to see the first two episodes in a theatrical release, it's time for a Fruits Basket topic! :mosh: Mainly pertaining to the new 2019 anime, but feel free to talk about the original anime or the manga too. Just make sure to use labelled spoiler hides for anyone who's coming in new to the franchise!

I'm absolutely stoked for this reboot. I never thought I'd see it, and that Furuba would be one series the nostalgia renaissance would pass by, but THIS APRIL WE ARE BLESSED

WHO'S READY TO CRY BITCH TEARS

I'm quite looking forward to it! I did read the manga, but I honestly can't remember much of what happened at all past a certain point (I guess it was shortly after it ended, so quite a long time ago...). So it's going to feel sort of new to me, which is cool.

I'm totally stoked, I loved the old anime but was sad they didn't get to the REAL DARK SHIT. And I'm glad they got most of the previous voice actors for it.

I am vibrating in my fuckin' chair lads

Gotta survive tomorrow until 7:30, I will share impressions after

This is it. THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. 

• Shiny 1

?Ehhhh???? Did I miss something? Wait till tomorrow? According to AniChart first ep doesn't release for another 8 days. WHAT DO YOU KNOW NELLE?!

The TV airing begins in 8 days, but there's limited theatre releases that happened/are happening yesterday/today; dub yesterday and sub today, I think. My envy knows NO BOUNDS :sick: :P 

:crying: Gods damnit it all!

• Sad 1

They're launching the series with a dub at the same time?  Huh.  That seems unusual.

Depends on how long they've been in the works with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were running side by side in production.

13 years later and I still don't get why people like this anime/manga... Can someone please explain this to me?

So at first for me, it was the cute storyline, the chinese mythlore to the astrology and all that along with (to me) great character development and growth when it came to the anime. In the manga when you get past the point where the anime ends. There is a shit ton more depth and darkness in this family than what the anime leads on with story wise. Plus most of the characters you just can't help but fall in love with some of them because at the time for me they felt relatable on some character features or flaws.

*floats in* Touch me, for I have seen something holy

So, first of all, PEOPLE LOVE THIS SERIES BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOULS AND FEELINGS, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTER. But ye, Slix sums it up real well. The first anime kinda ends right before you start really getting into those deeper human stories, but it definitely dips its feet in the water. The premise sounds cute and there's a lot of humor in the series, but for a story involving people turning into animals it really is a very human bunch of stories. The characters have real flaws and issues and learn to address them. It doesn't just happen, you watch them struggle. 

Second---wab, simulcasts have been a thing for a while now keep the fuck up.

MOST IMPORTANTLY---hErE CoMeS sOmE ThOuGhTs

Don't worry these are non spoilery:

• THOSE SLY BASTARDS DID NOT SHOW US THE OPENING OR ENDING THEMES. I will be going into those just as blind as y'all ❤️
  • The Japanese cast is all new, as per the author's wishes, but eng dub fans will be pleased to know a lot of the original dub cast are returning. We saw the sub version, and O.M.G. they are already bringing it. Definitely a refreshed feel to the characters.
  • The art and animation is just as lovely as the promos lead you to believe. 
  • This premiere consisted of some nice little interviews with some of the VAs, both Japanese and English and the first 2 eps. You can really tell they are passionate about this series.

That's about it, really... it's Furuba, and oh man are we all in for a treat. 

Fun bonus fact--- they had absolutely no ending for this event. Like, last scene and BOOM lights went up and screen went dark. Unceremonious AF, I'm still laughing about it

• Shiny 2

I DON'T WANNA WAIT 8 DAYS

-places sticky fingers all over Anelle to try and absorb FruBa energy to keep my soul alive for the next 8 days-

AT LEAST WASH YOUR HANDS

god i cannot fucking wait to experience it with y'all though ;; 

• Like 1

7 MORE DAYS!

Was going to post a GIF from The Ring in response.  Noped the fuck out of there.  Got scurred.

• ROFL 1

6 MOAR DAYS!

3 MOAR DAYS!

• Shiny 1

Nearly there, lads! .....lassies? I dunno I originally said "fuckers" but that did not seem wholesome enough for fruits basket. 

FUCK I KNOW I JUST POSTED BUT THE MOMENT IS SO FUCKING CLOSE FUUUUUUUUUCK WHO'S READY TO FUCKING PARTY

This has devolved into a countdown topic. 

I don't hate it :rotfl:

My body is ready. I don't know that my heart is but MY BODY IS READY

ZODIAC-GOD TAKE THE WHEEL

20 minutes ago, Galeigh said:

This has devolved into a countdown topic. 

I don't hate it :rotfl:

listen. LISTEN. Once it gets going it will absolutely turn back to discussion but right now everyone is at hnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG phase 

• Like 1

I'm gonna be so psyched to watch once it pops up on my streaming feed tomorrow! (tonight would be great but it's usually next day)

THIS IS TOTALLY HAPPENING GUYZ!

Watched the first ep! Who else!? I need someone to squee with!

Lucy, Jane and I watched tonight! I'm waiting for one of them to post though since I've already given first impressions and I wanna see theirs ?

I watched the dub out of curiosity and am very pleased with all the VAs except Yuki. Sorry, dude who plays him ? WAY too breathy. 

I thought the ending theme was adorable!
Definitely pleased with choice of Japanese voice actors. Definitely fits the characters so far.

And the animation style seems much more cleaner and less goofy. (If I recall didn't some scenes have some chibification of some kind like when the Yuki Club does confrontation in the older version?) I felt like there was less of that even though you still got the same feels over it.

I know this stuff came after, but it felt like a combination of chill fun/comedy like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid mixed with a dash of Ancient Magus Bride. I can definitely use this kind of slice-of-life in my seasonal watch-list :nod:

It's definitely like a beginners guide to the newer anime you mentioned. (LOVE DRAGON MAID AND MAGUS BRIDE) It feels like part of my younger weeaboo days are rekindled seeing this come back.

I'm so happy tbh

I never thought I'd see this adaptation and the first ep alone seems amazing, I'm looking forward to continuing this

I enjoyed it! Obviously ep 1 will have a lot of what previous viewers are familiar with already (I watched the old anime but have never really read the manga), but it was all so beautiful. And the ending theme was so cute. I'm already looking forward to next week. :unkeke:

The Kyoko stuff hit me a bit hard. :crying2:

[spoiler ep1]

The aspect of Tohru working her friggin butt off so she could achieve what her mum didn't get the chance to and make her mega proud came kinda close to home.

:( Also the sense that that level of work and determination dedicated to the memory of a loved one can be a mixed blessing. I've just come home off holiday to a big pile of revisions to work and hard deadlines and this is a particularly difficult time of year... personally attacked by this relatable content etc etc. I was thinking about it a lot the next day after I watched it.

• Sad 2

Spoiler

Yeah this isn't a GREAT time of year for FruBa to hit us with this but it was beautiful still! :puppyeyes: Looking forward to episode 2 soon, because MORE KYO PLEASE

Oh I'm sure we're gonna get more of him for sure!

*hugs Jane*

I LOVE THE OPENING THEME!

Spoiler

The fight with Kyo and Yuki was good. I'm really loving the animation style.
Nelle I see what you mean about the Yuki voice actor being breathy.
I like the style of the transformation POOFS! look. Makes it less corny than the previous series.
OMG KYO IS TOO ADORABLE!

Episode 2

Spoiler

The opening is very cute and thoughtful, I like it! It's no For Fruits Basket, but Okazaki Ritsuko was legendary and it's still good.

The episode itself was spot on, loved the little subtleties like Yuki's Ice Bitch Smile when talking about Kyo in the classroom, the little cat hop and sad ears Cat Kyo did during the school argument, and Kyo's murder-grip on the tape roll after fixing the roof. :lol:

I also felt they've done a good job so far with the emotions, seeing Kyo recoil at being called an 'outsider', and when he realised he'd physically hurt Tohru, plus his shy crankiness. The voice actors are knocking it out of the park so far, you know that later angst scenes are gonna hurt!

Original anime era spoilers

Spoiler

I can't wait to hear Kyo call Tohru's name after the transformation scene, I'm gonna be sobbing in the corner like DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ME I'M NOT OKAY

Manga spoilers

Spoiler

It's also fun seeing the little things you NOW know that may not even register now, like Shigure mentioning how Kyo disappeared from school for 4 months to "train in the mountains"... like nah biche he was suffering PTSD and crying a lot :puppyeyes:

In response to your last thing Lu. OMG I KNOW GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :bawling:

HGNNNNNNNNNNNNN! EP 3!!

Spoiler

MOMIJI AND KISA APPEAR!

1 hour ago, Tassifox said:

HGNNNNNNNNNNNNN! EP 3!!

Hide contents

MOMIJI AND KISA APPEAR!

Spoiler

pssst that's Kagura not Kisa 

• ROFL 1

See this is how long it's been that even after checking anime news network to google the characters I STILL FUCK UP

Episode 3

Spoiler

MY BOY MOMIJI :heart:

Also loved Kyo's full on tsundere nonsense after Tohru's umeboshi analogy. :loved: Not quite sure about the speedy-flicker animation of the graphic but it was cute! 

Looking forward to the ensuing shenanigans next week too!

Next week is gonna be so good!

Ep 4

Spoiler

I think they did really well getting the switch of Kagura's sweet, cute and shy and then the OMG IMMA PUNCH THE SHIT OUTTA YOU! moments.

AAAAAHHHH SHE MENTIONED ABOUT KYO'S CURSE! HGNNNN!

Kyo has been in my neighbourhood... 

IMG_20190521_102100.jpg

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1

GASP

• Like 1

That's amazing

Also can I just say

Spoiler

THE NEW FRESH FEELS WITH HATORI'S BACKSTORY! Like you know it was coming but I LOVE how they are approaching all the darkness of this family and Akito in this reboot. It feels more heavy vs the old version.

• Like 1

There are a fair few ginger cats round here, too. :lol: orange bois.

11 hours ago, Tassifox said:

That's amazing

Also can I just say

Hide contents

THE NEW FRESH FEELS WITH HATORI'S BACKSTORY! Like you know it was coming but I LOVE how they are approaching all the darkness of this family and Akito in this reboot. It feels more heavy vs the old version.

Yesssss. :(

YAAAAAAS THE HOT SPRINGS EPISODE!

UWU!!!!!! Second season finally started!!!!!!!!! I love the new opening! :shiny:

I tried to watch the new episode on Crunchyroll but it wouldn't play properly :-/ Try again tomorrow I guess