Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lucy

Fruits Basket

Hgnnn! We're getting to Kurenooooooooooooooo! :mosh:

Oooooh I love the feel of the new OP

Spoiler

Yaaaaaaa Akito's mom is fucking messed up. NOW we get to the source of the darkness
Oooh shiiiiiiiiit
I totally forgot that not all the Zodiac knew about Akito
AHHHH ISU-CHAN KNOWS

Cha-cha-cha-chann omg Hana-chan I wanna cry
LMAO Yuki being a bad cook
Hana-chans goth room is partial life goals for me.
UO CHANNNNNNNN
OMFG MEGUMI
oh fuck, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Shiiiiiiiiiit I have a feeling I'm gonna ball tears through every episode of this 😿

ah, fuck i forgot there was a separate topic for it i'll try and remember to react in here from now on :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

I was thinking of cancelling my Crunchyroll subscription, at least for this season, because for a while now I think Funi has had the better selection of shows. I don't really want to pay for both and only use one. But then I realized Fruits Basket is only in English on Funi. Can't do it. Crunchyroll dodged a bullet today :rotfl:

Gonna watch S3E1 later tonight. I'm stoked!

• ROFL 1

not gonna lie, I had COMPLETELY forgotten that Funimation only "airs" the dub since we'd attended a premiere event for the first season (and had tickets for season 2 but pandemic) in sub format and today was like WHY IS IT LIVE BUT ONLY DUB WHAT THE FUCK

after raging that their special online premiere this time was only in dub

it hit me like 5 minutes after I had a nice indignant pout about it. Oops.

Funi bought Crunchyroll so I very much hope they'll just.... put Funimation stuff back on VRV and I can keep using that. I much prefer their site and player formats. 

I didn't realize Funi bought Crunchyroll... 

Episode #1 was great. It feels good to be watching this show again! I'm not in love with the OP. Nice visuals but not my kinda tune. The ED is very good though, I like the music better and the illustrations that run through the credits are very nice too. That was a lot of info to take in from Kureno re: Akito... :O.O:

Dude I keep forgetting just how horrible Shigure was in this series. Course a lot of the characters are horrible in some fashion but DAMN Shigure.  Just damn. 

King of the Turds for sure

• Like 1

That episode took a turn I was not expecting..! 

The removal of the tie was amazingly dramatic

Yeah that whole scene was pretty riveting! Really well done.

Uwaaaahhhh! So many feels in this episode!

Anybody know if the final season is also going to be 25 episodes like the first and second seasons..? Or could this one potentially be shorter? I'm unfamiliar with the manga so I have no idea how much story is left :shrug:

Poor Machi :crying:

Sadly Anichart isn't saying anything. And it's been so long since I've read the manga so I am so out of tune about how much further out we have left in episodes. I feel like it might possibly be wrapped up in like 14ish or so eps but it is possible they could do a full 25 ep arc. 

Spoiler

HATSUHARUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! This is why I totally crushed on him when I was a stupid weeaboo :love2:

IN YOUR FACE AKITO! They're all gonna leave you one by one!  Fuck your face even if you have partial good reason for being a bitch!

So much emotion in this episode that they didn't even bother doing the OP.

Oof. That was a pretty heavy episode. It ended on a happier note though!

Spoiler

And another one is dooooooooooown!

Omg Momiji has grown so fast I forgot this happened!!

Uwaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Kyo you better not fuxk it up with Tohru!!!

Fuck you Akito

:bawling:MOMIJI IS TOO GOOD FOR USSSSSS

mooooooooomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

love that boy

Quite the growth spurt for Momiji..!

Shigure is a bit of a jerk, but I still find him pretty amusing. 

AHHHHHH WHY MUST THIS ONE BE FILLED WITH ALL THE FEELS!?

Spoiler

I wanted to punch Shigure, I'm surprised Rin didn't. 

I forgot how much it was hard for Tohru to talk about her dad. Or that Kyo was the one who saw her mom die. Next ep is gonna be heavy. 

Shigure sure know how to push people’s buttons :nono:

Super curious to see what happens next week :nailbiting:

• Like 1

:puppyeyes::eek2:

Spoiler

HO-LY FUCK

YAS! HIRO IS FREE!

KURENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Well, that was pretty harsh

Spoiler

Ahhhhhhh! Of course they have to leave it on that fucking cliffhanger with Akito!!! Nooooooo!

Omg all the feels with KyoRu! UGHFNSKDKDKSKDBDBEUWI!!!!!

This episode dragged a bit for me. Kyo’s story is of course interesting and tragic and all that, but he’s also such a frustrating character. Stop running already dude! :ugh:

:bawling::bawling: :bawling: :bawling:  That is all with this ep

Yeah :rip:

Feels like we're nearing the end here though. AniChart says the final season is 13 episodes, so I will assume that's correct. While I am still enjoying Fruits Basket, I think I will be relieved for it to be over. This season especially, every episode has been so loaded. It hasn't been as joyful as previous seasons. I guess since I was completely unfamiliar with the manga, I didn't totally realize what I was signing up for when I began watching this show a couple years ago :lolgrin: These last few episodes, while good and fascinating and all that, have also been a bit of a slog for me. I hope the ending is strong (and happy please???)

• Like 1

The feels is why I fell in love with manga way back and why so many were thrilled with having a reboot that actually got all the way through the manga. (I think the older series stopped just around the halfway point. ) 13 eps feels about right because we will have some loose ends to finish. I'm just glad it's getting its getting it's proper ending vs just being left in the dust like so many good series tend to fall into.

Ah, finally a more uplifting episode. Feels like we’re on our way to a moderately happy ending … what could go wrong? :lolgrin:

Spoiler

Fuck you Kyo's dad! He's done taking your shit!!

So many walls tearing down! Yaaaas!

Hgnnnnnnn!!!

Spoiler

WE GET THE FULL LEGEND NOW

Why the cat is the outcast!

Why the curse happened!

All of iiiiit!

like straight up sappy shit right here---- I am SO thankful that I got to simulwatch this with Lucy today. Literal dream come true to see all this animated ToT

• Shiny 1

This was a great episode. Everything’s coming together for a happy ending… I hope? Don’t wanna jinx it :uhoh: :lolgrin:

so so so many good moments in this ep for sure! half of the dms between me and lucy while watching were just us going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA as things happened 

• Shiny 1

Ugh I could have done without the depressing ending of episode 12. I had hoped we were done with the sad stuff. 

You know we have 1 more ep right? The dark stuff is kind of the whole thing that makes this series so good (both in the older series and now) is how relevant this is to a lot of people's lives. It's properly tying off loose ends that the older series didn't do.

??????? I am confused, I wouldn't call the end of ep 12 depressing at all. Bittersweet maybe, and in a beautiful way. 

Yeah I know there is one more episode left.

I tried typing something up to explain myself, but I am not articulate enough today to describe why I wasn't a fan of that scene -- oh well :lol: 

We'll chalk it up to different strokes for different folks, it just took me back a bit because, again, I would never have described/felt it was depressing so that popped my bubble a bit! 

I guess watching that scene made my brain immediately go to: What if me and/or my wife die young like that, and leave our kids behind? So that's kinda depressing to think about. And Kyoko's going on about how it's sad to be left and to leave, "Did I not love Tohru enough?" (or something like that), and then the visuals of her bloody, dying in the street, etc. I dunno, it just plain bummed me out :shrug: 

Please make the final episode 100% happy fun times.

Yeah, for me the parts when I have the deep sads for Kyoko are earlier in the story, and I guess at this point where her thoughts in her final moments are revealed I've already felt sad for her loss and pain and now I feel left with the absolute gift of love she had with tohru  and knowing that everything is moving forward to better days. Her final wishes for love and for more for her child are coming true and when Katsuya fucking spoke I lost my shit. Been waiting to see/hear that animated for a long time. So for me personally, yeah, it's some sad shit, but it makes me think more on how special and beautiful it all is, and I don't find that depressing. It hurts, yeah, but ultimately love endures. Tohru is finding her way and her parents were reunited. Kyo doesn't realize it, but he's finally achieved what Kyoko asked of him. It grinds me to a pulp emotionally but doesn't depress me. I can see why it would depress others though, but again I was just so wrapped up in how I've felt about this part of the story for so long that it burst my bubble :lol:

• Like 1

Nice ending

My heart 'sploded with so much feeling of content. I can die happy now.  

Don't die just yet motherfuckers.... we're getting a Kyoko and Katsuya origin story special!!! Not clear on what it'll be exactly but they did announce an animation! 

That sounds fun—until the part where he dies I guess :lolgrin:

I saw that announcement and I'm torn. 

On the one hand we finally get some juicy backstory on my #1 anime mom. 

But on the other........prequels.........:uhoh:

I mean, their story was in the main manga they just chose to omit it from the main anime and present it as its own thing instead, so it's not like it's a prequel pulled out of the ass

• Like 1

This is true, it's been so long since I read the manga that I actually forgot that part.

It's been a hot minute since this finished, and now I've reread the manga for comparison I'm a bit more clear on my final thoughts for the series. All in all, it's a fantastic adaptation; having author Takaya Natsuki on board as an executive really helped keep it in line, and apart from a few wonk scenes the production was consistently good-looking. I laughed and cried about as many times as I did watching this adaptation as I did reading the manga, so that's a good benchmark! A few more deets below:

Positives

- Styling

One of Ms Takaya's provisos for permission to make this adaptation was "don't make it look like my art too closely, the manga is 20 years old and it makes me cringe"; they followed that perfectly in my opinion, keeping the character designs an 'echo' of her style rather than matching it, but still mirroring all the important and iconic manga panels that people know and love in structure.

- Comedy

Fruits Basket is full of Feels, yes, but it also has great comedy interludes, which were well handled here. Especially fond of the fact they kept the "outline" chibis from the manga, and really went all-out on things like Ayame's comedy.

- Casting

This was another proviso of Takaya's, a whole new voice cast, and it went extremely well for me. Pretty much everyone knocked it out of the park, but my faves were the Main Three (Tohru's Iwami Manaka, Yuki's Shimazaki Nobunaga, Kyo's Uchida Yuuma), Sakurai Takahiro as Ayame, Han Megumi as Momiji, Sawashiro Miyuki as Kyoko, and the fucking inspired casting of the "big bads" of the Sohma clan, Orikasa Ai as Ren and Sakamoto Maaya as Akito. 

Negatives

Honestly, there were only two negatives for me:

- Minor scene alterations

Nothing major was changed, but just here or there were a couple of things; like leaving a comedic tweak out of a more serious scene, which changed the tone of it a bit.

- Skipped content/Single Cour "The Final"

This is the big one for me. There were a few scenes and parts that were left out, presumably for brevity's sake since The Final was only 13 episodes, and while I'm not devastated, it did give me a little disappointment. Some of these are manga spoilers; the non spoiler version is that some scenes with the Student Council were scrapped and we don't see Kyoko and Katsuya's past. The full version is manga spoilers, thoughts below:

Spoiler

= Skipping Kakeru content

Yuki's New Best Friend Kakeru needed all his scenes play out!! :pissed2: Not only was it a heinous waste of the comedic timing of VA Eguchi Takuya to cut scenes, but we also lost the aspect of exactly WHY Kakeru was staring at Tohru earlier on, and his girlfriend Komaki was completely cut. I felt that Komaki and her involvement in the story was a great touch, and was saddened that she was cut. We all deserved our Meat * Angel.

= Skipping Yuki/Machi content

Not much was skipped to be fair, but the few other interactions they had were adorable, and cutting them made Yuki and Machi's falling in love seem a little more rushed/unbalanced than Kyo and Tohru's.

= Skipping Katsuya/Kyoko content

Now. This one was the biggest disappointment for me, but also the most... understandable for a TV broadcast, because Katsuya and Kyoko's relationship was, let's be honest, pretty dodgy in a lot of ways. HOWEVER. Their coming together, and Kyoko's response to her grief, and how she and Tohru reconnected after/during it, were one of the things that I resonated a lot with, especially after losing my parents, and it was a big sting that it was only hinted to. I was incredibly glad to hear that they're planning a Special for it, and will be looking forward to it a lot.

SHORT VERSION:

This was so good, and I feel blessed™️ to have been able to watch it :')

• Like 1

*BASHES IN THE DOOR*

HEY MOTHERFUCKERS GUESS WHAT

Spoiler

Fruits Basket Anime Gets Compilation Film With Prequel, Epilogue Scenes in February

furuba.jpg

The official website for the new anime of Takaya Natsuki's Fruits Basket manga announced on Friday that the anime will get a compilation film titled Fruits Basket -prelude- that will open in Japan on February 18. The film will include the previously announced Kyо̄ko to Katsuya no Monogatari (Kyо̄ko and Katsuya's Story) anime that will center on the backstory of Tohru's parents Kyо̄ko and Katsuya, which the 2019-2021 series did not adapt.

The film will also include new scenes — written specifically for the film by Takaya — depicting events from after the television anime's story.

Spoiler

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• ROFL 1