Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

Completed Games 2024

You know the drill

1. :gba:Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Holy shit, is this a good Zelda game. It's short, but when you consider it's supposed to be paired with Ages(which I'm playing next), that's not really true.  Even on its own, it's a content-packed adventure, with some inventive items and solid boss battles. Some of the puzzles had me stumped(some for stupid reasons like forgetting I can push a trampoline -_-). I used a guide for that damn trampoline mishap and to figure out where to go(another dumb oversight) after Tarm Ruins, and I wasn't gonna try and find the random spots the golden beasts popped up. 

While not all the bosses were super hard, I thought they all had unique mechanics that took advantage of all the items you get. I really liked that the final proper dungeon tests all your skill with them and is designed in a way where you can get past some of the basic hazards in multiple ways depending on how you're using everything.

Oh, and of course, the music was incredible.  The dungeon themes would be stuck in my head all day after playing. GBC OSTs are underrated.

Sick game. Unique setting and identity and the best that top-down Zelda has to offer. You can't ask for more. 9/10

• Like 1

Seasons is definitely my favorite of the two :nod:

edit: I’m glad somebody finally started the 2024 thread! I honestly have nothing to contribute because all I play (still, 2+ years going strong!) is Diablo 2: Resurrected. Not I like reading everybody else’s write-ups. 

1. :gba: Metroid: Zero Mission

1a. :gba: Metroid Fusion

1b. (SNES) Super Metroid

2. :switch: Metroid Dread

A couple weeks back I did a week of streaming, doing a Metroid "retrospective" going through the 2D games. Started on Monday showing off the first game and it's GBA remake. Tuesday was Metroid 2 on the Game Boy, and the fan remake AM2R. Wednesday was Super Metroid, along with a remixed version of that game that made the physics feel more like the later 2D games (less floaty jumps, mostly). Thursday was Metroid Fusion. Friday was finishing both Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid. My original plan for Friday was to play Metroid Dread, but I don't know where my capture card is, and in order to emulate it I would've needed a hacked Switch to get the BIOS off of, so I figured it wasn't worth the effort.

1.) :ps5: Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Fuck that was fantastic. I had pretty high expectations going into that and was still impressed. Strong pacing and balance despite the open world sandbox aspect, side-quests and collectibles that didn't feel oppressive or chore-like to find (mostly because there wasn't too many and they generally felt like there was a purpose to them). Fun combat that felt like it had been improved upon nicely. Then there was the story. They packed SO much into that that I was not expecting it to get into, but it didn't feel rushed or awkward generally. A few things here and there that managed to catch me by surprise as well, with enough story threads left hanging that I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the next one since there are like half a dozen possible plots they could lean into or mix and match with how they left things. XD

They outdid themselves with the outfits again too. Probably the ONLY thing that felt awkward for me was the number of resources they had you juggle to unlock stuff. Tech parts, RARE Tech Parts, City tokens, Hero tokens, etc. Felt a bit overwhelming and annoying at first, though things flowed and unlocked steadily enough just playing things as you came to them that it was only a minor gripe. I like that they kept the score/time/combat challenge type stuff to a minimum compared to the first game too, and what they did have didn't require you to get the highest score on all of them to unlock everything which was a relief.

1a. :gba: Metroid Fusion

1b. (SNES) Super Metroid

2. :switch:  Metroid Dread

3. :ps5: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Man, what a disappointment. The story was the only thing that kept me going. The puzzles suck, and it's real easy to get lost, while the holomap doesn't really make it any better. The first game had a similar map situation. Wasn't really a fan of having a sort of open hub world thing. Wasn't bad, just wasn't what I wanted. I called part of the twist before it happened, but they added one thing I didn't see coming.

2.) :ps5: God of War: Ragnarok - Valhalla

Counting it as a separate thing because it certainly felt like it was. XD

Anyway, for being free, this DLC was really fucking good. Not super long, but even after the credits roll, there's more story stuff to get if you want it. It's basically God of War turned into a mini-roguelite game that reminds me of Hades at times with how they handled story progress. The story built into it serves as a vehicle for Kratos to be forced to face and come to terms with his past and is handled really well, and in the process you're able to learn more about some of the side characters from the main game, such as some of the Valkyries. There's a bit of a surprise guest appearance too that was pretty fun and tied into Kratos facing his past. The whole thing was set up well enough I actually did a number of runs past the core story finishing to finish up some of the side stories and wrap up the trophies. Getting Kratos' classic look as an unlock was really cool too.

1) :switch: Mario vs Donkey Kong (100%ed collectibles, did not do time attacks)

Mostly chill and fun. I think I liked the second set of levels the most, everything compacted onto one screen or area made it all flow better.

1a. :gba: Metroid Fusion

1b. (SNES) Super Metroid

2. :switch:  Metroid Dread

3. :ps5: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

4. (NES) Mega Man 2

Partner and I upgraded our CRT to a 24 inch one, so we've been playing a bunch of older systems on it lately. Yesterday I randomly decided to boot up Mega Man 2 and play for a while. I'd never beaten the game in one sitting, without cheats before.