Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Summer Anime '22

Pretty much a lot of Summer Season is gonna be continuing stuff for me so here's my list.
SUMMER TIME RENDERING (continuing from Spring season)
OVERLORD S4 FINALLY
Part-Time Devil S2
Dr Stone: Ryusui
DANMACHI S4
MADE IN ABYSS S2
SHADOWS HOUSE S2
Orient S2
Janshin Dropkick S3
BASTARD OVA!!!!

Kakegurui Twin (totes forgot this until Vic mentioned lol)

For possible new series that looks curious enough:
Yofukashi no Uta

Lycori Recoil
Bucchihigire
Yurei Deco

Also I'm enjoying the new layout and organization for Anichart
https://www.livechart.me/summer-2022/tv

gonna be carrying on with my good pals summertime and shadows house

i need to go back and watch made in abyss, the first episode put me off majorly but i've meant to go back to it for a very long time at this point

oh shit new mew mew! excited for that

i somehow missed that shaft was making a rwby anime, that's interesting

i'm too lazy to look at anything in depth, nothing else jumped out instantly but i'll keep my ears open to buzz about things

• Like 1

Made in Abyss was totes more cute than i was expecting it to. It does sneak up on you with the darker stuff but still keeps you going. And then the movie following it is a little heavier but good build up to what might be in the new season. I can't wait. 

Yurei Deco is a strong maybe for me because the story sounded interesting. And i like that the art style is a bit out of the box from the norm we've been seeing lately. 

The body horror and general darker stuff doesn't faze me, but the weird ass whipping discipline scene just made me go lol nah and close it

• ROFL 1

Super excited for S2 of Devil is a Part-Timer.  And of course the next Dr. Stone season and Summertime Render.  Not sure I care about much else, but I'll do as I normally do and read all of your reax and recs and see if I wanna hop on a new train.

EDIT: Just saw Ryusui is just a special, not a full season -_-

1 hour ago, Anelle said:

The body horror and general darker stuff doesn't faze me, but the weird ass whipping discipline scene just made me go lol nah and close it

Okay that totes makes sense. Thankfully those are extremely far and less than few in between. (I think i've seen that about.....twice? Three times? There is an awkward turtle moment in the movie but otherwise *shrug*)

As always, I’ll probably try the anime originals—if I can, that is. I don’t really want to read up on anything until I find out what will actually be available to me on Crunchyroll. Still haven’t pulled the trigger on Hidive. 

Aside from new originals, I’ll continue Overlord and Shadows House, but both will be on a pretty short leash. A couple bad episodes to start and I’ll bail fairly quickly. 

Summer feels like it needs a good slice of life. Something fun and easy-going with likeable characters. I’m thinking like Sakura Quest or Aquatope. Deaimon is scratching that itch for me now but I want more. 

There kinda looks like there's a few SoL genre's but when some of those titles where the image looks like it would be that sort don't have a synopsis attached it's hard to tell. The isekai pharmacist one looks and sounds close to it. (I'm def seeing a lot of pop idol genres and no thnx. )

Looks to be a few different isekai airing this summer. But if I watch Overlord then I probably won't be too interested in the other ones. Already been watching Shield Hero this season. I'll be isekai'd out :lol: 

A good isekai is a fun time, but there are so many bad / so-so isekai out there. Really have to pick the right one. (Give me another season of Grimgar please, anime gods??? :crying2:) I guess it's a popular genre overall otherwise there wouldn't be so many all the time.

Pretty much isekai has hit it's peak like many other genres. It's actually harder to find one that isn't the same trope or even remotely original anymore. (The fact that there are chibi crossover series of said isekai's even now. O.o) It's why i like the ones that are parodies of them right now or just glance over the story synopsis to see if it's something worth looking at, or waiting til later if nothing else. 

There's never really a good balance of genres when it comes to what's hip, and with the growing rage of adding 3D animation in wherever they can........ya.....

-Pokemon

- One Piece
- Dragon Quest
- Boruto
- Summertime Render
- MADE IN ABYSS SEASON 2 OH FUCK I HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE YET
- Dr Stone Special
- KAKEGURUI IS BACK OH FUCK
- And a Gundam Prologue for the new Witch Gundam thing

- Isekai Ojisan has a funny as fuck premise. I don't know if it'll be worth more than an episode or two
- I saw something else like Kumicho Musume to Sewagakari and it was very entertaining so I'll give it a try
- Yuru Camp gets a movie ;_;
- Ayyyyyy One Piece Film Red
- SAO Progressive Second Movie?
- Why the fuck is Gundam G No Reconguista getting movies when it made no sense in the first place?

• Shiny 1

6 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Why the fuck is Gundam G No Reconguista getting movies when it made no sense in the first place?

:rotfl:

I keep telling myself I’m gonna re-watch G Reco one of these days and that it will eventually make sense (perhaps after multiple re-watches and a lot of meditation :rotfl:)

Maybe the movies fix it..?

The synopsis for Movie 4 says it has "new content" which is like "Oh, good, it'll be even more nonsensical with a compressed time limit"

There's a chance that 'new content' also means old content has been changed and/or removed to help the whole thing make more sense -- that's the glass-half-full way of looking at it, anyways :lolgrin: 

7 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Oh shit, I didn't see that Kakegurui is back.  Is it still on Netflix?

I think it is still on Netflix. This one is Kakegurui Twin which, from the looks of it, is going to be a spin off OVA which stars Mary and has new characters as well as some callbacks thT i've seen in the trailer. 

@Vic Boss the only place i found Abyss movie was a rando anime stream app when i was on free watch week on Xfinity. I'll see if i can hunt the app down because i haven't found it anywhere else yet. 

Crunchyroll is starting to release their summer lineup. Still some TBD's on there, but quite a few details are already out... We've got a few new anime originals in there that I will have a look at, the OddTaxi movie (yay!), the Dr. Stone special, Shadows House season 2... No signs of Overlord yet... I had assumed it would be available on Crunchyroll.

I actually watched the first ep of RWBY revamp. While it feels weird a tiny bit i'm loving the new animation style. It just gives it so much more umpf for the battles than the 3D did. 

Edit. Correction: it was a preview of the series. Not the first ep itself. Which normally annoys me but too late now. At least i'm familiar with the series to where i understand more or less. It didn't dawn on me that it was a preview until i realized events and reveals were happening faster than normal, then i looked at the time of the "episode". 

I'm gonna contonue talking about Summer Time Render eps here since's moving into Summer Season anime. 

Ep 11

Spoiler

From where we left off. OH FUCKFUCKFUCK THE NEST

Is the sheriff....the real sheriff?? Seems like him. 

Oh shit the coral are shadows too?!

Who........dammit Tokiko -is- one of them. 

Dammit Mio! Okay that has to be the real sheriff. FUCK NOT ANYMORE.

...........TOKIKO'S NOT A SHADOW WHY IS SHE WORKING WITH THEM?!?!?

Fuck it's the shadow that fucked up Ryuunosuke!

NOOO OLD MAN!

What....what's happening at 9??? Is that the festival?? No too soon. 

MOTHER

I'll probably just be watching season 2 of Classroom of the Elite and maybe RWBY. 

• Like 1

EEEEEEE BASTARD'S FINALLY UP!

I've been way too tired to type out reacts to summertime but i'm still very into it, very very excited for next week for some juicy info reveals

or if it's more teasing i'm reading the damn manga

• Shiny 1

Summertime ep 12!

Spoiler

So Mama has a name now. 

Oh fuck she's gonna eat Ushio's body right in front of them.....

And THERE'S the motivation factor!

Lololol good way of censoring the titties

So i wonder if Sha-Shio can scan updated data from a corpse of real Ushio?

Oh fuck goodbye fingers. 

Oh Tokiko....you poor fool.....

Lmao they're G's idiot.....

FUCK HIS EYE

OH FUCKITIY FUCK HIS EYE

SHOOT SHINPEI SHOOT SHINPEI MAKE HIM LOOP

DAMMITDAMMITDAMMIT

Fuck ya Ushio!!!!

Oh shit that's a bit jump. 

Checking out some new stuff this evening…

Lycoris Recoil #1 — Looks like something I’ll keep watching. Fun cast of characters, Chisato especially :rotfl: and I’m interested to learn more about lycoris and the work they do. The idea of stopping crimes before they happen is reminiscent of Psycho-Pass but the vibe of this show is very different. 

I tried out another new anime original last night, Engage Kiss, and thought it was pretty bad. Not likely to watch more of it. 

Also: The first episode of Yurei Deco is up now on Crunchyroll so I’ll be watching that tonight. 

Got to watching Yurei Deco sooner than I thought I would. It’s interesting! I’m not in love with the aesthetics, but it’s definitely got style. OP and ED are both earworms :music: I’m curious to learn more about what’s going on in the weird world this show is set in. 

I watched Lycoil Recoil today and def like it. Gonna enjoy s3eing what they bring to this. 

Overlord IV #1 -- I don't exactly remember everything going on here, but it's not a big deal. Kinda fun to have this show back.

Of course they open the episode with lots of Albedo up to her shenanigans :rotfl: Kinda stealing the show from Ains. 

Dude has no clue what he's doing running the Kingdom :fup: 

• Like 1

I rewarched S1 of Overlord but any other further seasons that are streaming aren't free. :grumble: I do vaguely remember results of S3 to where we ended up currently. i just love the world building in this show. 

Janshin Chan starts out strong with some fun tropes. The way they keep breaking the 4th wall a lot. 

Spoiler

Although i find it hilarious that they had Fucking Miku-chan cameo without calling her Miku and still have to bleep other copyrighted stuff. :rotfl:

Abyss!!!!! Oh damn they start out dark. TW for sensitive viewers within the first 3 min. 

Spoiler

Child rape/molestation imagery for a few seconds. No actual motion. Just an image for the character backstory at the 40 second mark. And then physical abuse with burning at the 2:40 mark.

So I thought from the trailer, that this might be a prequel of the story but. Maybe not the case. Maybe a mix?

Lots of shows popping up on my list today

Bucchigirei- Looks fun, got an eclectic group of characters. Gonna give it a couple more eps to see how I like it.
Yofukashi no Uta- Also looks fun, I like the animation
SUMMERTIME RENDER!

Spoiler

OOOH A NEW TRICK
Diggin the new OP
Who's the doc talking to.........he sounds familiar....
o-O Oh.....fuck.........
FUCK FUCK FUCK OLD MAN!
OH SHIT TOO FAR BACK IN TIME
Wait....was the person the Doc was talking to on the phone earlier Masahito??

@Anelle!!! SHADOWHOUSE 2

Spoiler

Training soot powers!
Hot damn Barbara
Holy crap Barbie's cute! (post cred scene)

New episode of Shadows House was alright. I don’t remember everything about the finale of the first season except that it was bad. 

Also watched Hoshi no Samidare (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, wtf is a biscuit hammer :fup:) and it was OK. Definitely had a couple amusing moments, but also not super compelling to watch more. I’ll give it another one or two more episodes I guess. 

The one main thing or two from Shadow House Finale, Anelle please correct me since 1. You've read the manga and 2. You tend to have better memory than me.

Spoiler

After they succeeded the maze, the Dolls were made to drink coffee that was ruffeed with mental power soot so that they swear absolute fealty to the House. aka mind control. Which is why Lou and Patrick have moments where they're zombies repeating back what they were brainwashed to say. I forgot how Emilico and Shuan got out of it (Kate was suspicious of the coffee) But they aren't brainwashed. And we learned that the Shadows basically kidnap kids from nearby villages, bring them to the House and erase their memories and create the Soot Shadow version of them in servitude.
Obviously there's more sus stuff about the House and the secrets to how Shadows are nobility and have the powers that they have. Looks like we'll get to see some background on Barbara and Barbie in the next ep.

4 hours ago, Tassifox said:

The one main thing or two from Shadow House Finale, Anelle please correct me since 1. You've read the manga and 2. You tend to have better memory than me.

Reveal hidden contents

After they succeeded the maze, the Dolls were made to drink coffee that was ruffeed with mental power soot so that they swear absolute fealty to the House. aka mind control. Which is why Lou and Patrick have moments where they're zombies repeating back what they were brainwashed to say. I forgot how Emilico and Shuan got out of it (Kate was suspicious of the coffee) But they aren't brainwashed. And we learned that the Shadows basically kidnap kids from nearby villages, bring them to the House and erase their memories and create the Soot Shadow version of them in servitude.
Obviously there's more sus stuff about the House and the secrets to how Shadows are nobility and have the powers that they have. Looks like we'll get to see some background on Barbara and Barbie in the next ep.

Yeah I remember the special drink the and soot power to brainwash the kids, I was just fuzzy on some of the details of how that final episode ended. IIRC they didn't really leave much of an opening for a second season. It felt like 'one and done' for the anime. I thought there was a bit of a departure from the manga at the end of the anime, so I was curious how that would get glossed over at the start of season two. But maybe the anime team just chose to ignore the bad ending of season one and hoped we'd all forgive and forget --- or my memory is terrible and everything I've said here is all wrong :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :fup: 

• Like 1

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the ending of season one and then will come back to answer stuff because I think they simply retconned some stuff that they tried to abruptly wrap up in the finale of season 1 here in the beginning of season 2. 

Shadows House as best I can figure out

Spoiler

They did not anticipate another season and tried to rewrite the storylines. The lurking hooded figure is a major plot point in the manga that should have been better explained, and they leaned way too hard into building Edward into a more prominent villain role. That's the best I can sum up the changes to the season one plot without going into manga plot.

They also tried to end on spooky mystery of "oh noes is the crew safe or not? Go read the manga and find out!" 

On to real answers--- I think they intended the ending to be just that, a "go find out more!" 

I think they are going to attempt to correct the hooded figure plot line they butchered, judging from s2 ep1

That's about all the manga info I can give, your summary of the first season was accurate. Kate cured Emilico of brainwashing by forcing her to drink a shitload of water until she barfed out the soot. John and Shaun got into an argument that turned into a physical fight and a punch cured Shaun of brainwashing lol. I think both Louise and Patrick talk Lou and Ricky respectively out of their brainwashing, Louise might have used her soot powers to influence Lou? I really don't remember specifics on that. 

• Like 1

LycoReco might just be my Anime Of The Season :love2: It’s fun and ridiculous and it has a great cast of characters. The dynamic between Chisato and Takina is amusing. Mizuki is great too :nod: :beer: Walnut might be a fun addition to the team too. 

Second episode of Yurei Deco continued to interest me. Still not totally sold on the art style, but I can overlook that. Googles Girl's goofy way of talking is growing on me :lol: Not much else specific to add. It's fun. That's all.

ahahaahahaha a minute in and lycoris recoil deffo has my attention, i'll edit with more thoughts but wanted to post that lol

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anelle said:

ahahaahahaha a minute in and lycoris recoil deffo has my attention, i'll edit with more thoughts but wanted to post that lol

:nod: it’s a fun time!

i straight up forgot i said i was gonna edit but this series has my attention for sure! I'll be sticking with it for now!

• Like 1

Yay :highfive:

Maybe give Yurei Deco a try too. It’s got something interesting and fun going on. I think you’ll know pretty quick if you like it or not. 

I like the new Op for Overlord. Very snappy.

Abyss has gotten spookier......this will be a very interesting season.

And also on the Ly-Recoil train! Yaaas Nelle! One of us! One of us!

Also, for a reverse isekai.....i didn't think i'd be liking it but Uncle from Another World is hitting alllllll the "I'M THIS OLD" references that i may actually continue watching this. :rotfl:

LycoReco #3

Those mean girls are harsh…

But of course Chisato was going to kick their butt in the mock battle :shiny:

Takina smiled near the end there :love2:

• Like 1

Agreed. Good ep!

Also i tried to give Engage Kiss a try and nope. I couldn't even finish the ep because of the 2 female leads in the fight scene. Animation is great but overall could not get into it. 

Yeah it’s bad. I made it to the end of the first episode because I had nothing better to do but the premise was dumb. Not worth investing more time into. 

lycoreco 3

Spoiler

Takina with the revenge punch and smile! Still really enjoying this. 

• Like 1

Summertime Render 14

Spoiler

So now that the baddies know about Shin's looping respawns being shortened each time they ain't gonna give them any time to regroup after looping. 

They are even more fucked now. 

ah fuck i knew i forgot to post something!

summertime render 14

Spoiler

Really cool to see some more backstory! I have my answer on Hizuru/Ryunosuke now! I don't really have anything in-depth to say because at this point I'm just vibin' along enjoying watching things unfold! There's still answers to be had but we're rolling so well that I don't feel the need to agonize over them :rotfl:

• Like 1

I that's the one benefit they have with this being a 25 ep series. It gives them the (hopefully) right amount to going through the story and mysteries of the island withoutnneedingnto rush and get answers. 

Spoiler

Soon as i realized that Shin looped without us seeing him die at the end of the big pep talk speech. I was all, "Oh Fuck difficulty level went to critical"

I'm kinda surprised they convinced Toki-chan to swtich sides even if she did get betrayed by the shadows in the last loop.

Def loved the rest of the backstory with Hizuka. But now i'm wondering why Haine seemed more coherent when she was hanging out with her compared to her being far more childish when we saw her in the cave. So i'm wondering if a piece of her mentality slipped when her eye popped out and escaped. Not to mention mentioning her family, which now i hope it means we get further background on Haine if she was originally Human before on the island.