Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

The Matrix: Resurrections (2021) [SPOILERS]

:shrug: I'm meh on it.  I feel like this didn't need another sequel. But i'm most likely the minority on this. 

Honestly I didn't feel the need for one either but that trailer was on fire; gotta admit my curiosity's piqued!

I didn't feel the need for a sequel but it's been a long time and I don't think they'd do it if they were going to just shit something out.  The trailer is extremely interesting to me and hell, it'll be on HBO Max so I don't even have to pay to see it. :lol:

I am really bummed they didn't have Laurence Fishburne come back though. :(

He could be a cameo or a surprise at the end. Morpheus canonically died in the MMO, so I wouldn't hold my breath, but who knows.

Spoiler

I didn't think that was an unknown.  It's fairly obvious from the glasses and stuff right?  I'm fairly certain that has been talked about widely and he's listed as Morpheus on IMDb!  I think he is like...a young Morpheus.

You're a young Morpheus

Too old for that.  That's obviously the biggest reason.

• ROFL 1

Saw a thing about it. Apparently they didn't even ask Lawrence Fishburne to be in it. So if the MMO is still considered canon, I'm assuming this is supposed to be a young version of him that exists only in the Matrix now or something.

Guessing there will be a lot of weird mind-fuck type stuff in this that should at least keep it interesting. It's definitely the kind of thing that if it had never come out it would have been fine, but it seems like they're doing something interesting so I'll watch it.

I'm hearing this is a rebooted Matrix (like the in-movie Matrix, not that they're rebooting the franchise), so maybe this is the rebooted version of Morpheus?

Saw it today. Was preeeeeetty much what I was expecting to play out. Had a few chuckles to the nods of previous movies they did but overall it was OK. There's a bit at the end of the credits that's cute. But otherwise. Just about as Meh as the trilogy was.

I read that the actual reason they replaced Hugo Weaving as Smith was literally just scheduling conflicts.  Like holy shit, you should have just made that shit work.  Unbelievable lol.

As I said in the other thread, overall definitely just a big meh.  It's probably the 3rd best one because the 3rd movie was absolute garbage.  I really felt like the entire plot of the movie was like an episode of a TV show that went on for WAY too long.  Like we didn't get the real story, it was basically just filler.  Supposedly there are somehow MORE of these they're hoping to make....and I'm....confused about that but I guess we'll see?

I enjoyed it overall. Felt superfluous, but still enjoyable. The new Smith was trying too hard though. Definitely would have been 10x better with Hugo Weaving, though that character being in it is probably the thing that made the least sense in the movie overall. 

Kind of wonder how on the nose the bit about "You didn't want to do this, but WB is going to do it with or without you" was in terms of Lana Wachowski being on board for this. XD

Pretty sure they said "fuck it" and rolled with a lot of stuff. Like the bs at the end talking with the Analyst. 

Well, I thought it was a blast. Very engaging. Fun little coda tagged onto the end of the Matrix. Fanfiction-y.