Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Galeigh

Masters of the Universe (2021)

Okay, to be honest I just finished ep. 1 at the moment, and I have heard people criticizing Kevin smith. To be perfectly honest, I LOVE the direction he took, it's bold and very brave of him to do it. Spoilers below:

Spoiler

He-man/adam sacrifice himself to kille skeletor and stop him from taking the power of greyskull, and Teela is fucking pissed at the queen and Man-at-arms for hiding it from her that adam was He-man. The king tried to banish man-at-arms for it before that. Teela, calls them ALL out for their bullshit over this and abandons her post as the newly appointented man-at-arms. it's goddamn brilliant

Yeah. People bitching about this are basically just giant man-babies who think their favorite saturday morning toy commercial from the 80s should never change. The twist took me off guard, especially considering the trailers for it, but I really liked it. It feels like it should have been the last episode of the series when it ended. I'm guessing the main reason most people are mad is (episode 2 spoiler sort of)

Teela is basically the main character. Which is fine. It's "Masters of the Universe" not "He-man" so it's a perfectly valid thing but it was definitely a surprise.

My only complaint is the way the episode 2 picks up, it almost feels less impactful because you don't get a proper sense of time passage. I just finished all of it. I know there's a Part 2 on the way, but that was an ABOSOLUTE dick way to end it.

(spoiler for last episode)

Orko...

:( 

It actually annoyed me a little that Adam comes back from the dead just to immediately get shanked. I'm assuming he's not actually done for, but Jesus dude. :rotfl: 

I love the animation quality in this too. Also great voice cast. Those classic corny jokes. It was all around an interesting watch. People that are seriously mad at this need to take the stick out of their ass.

• Sad 1

IT WAS TOO GODDDAMN SHORT!! 5 EPS IS NOT ENOUGH ESPECIALLY AFTER THAT CLIFFHANGER :pissed2:

That's the only batching I hafta say about it. Otherwise plus ultra. 

Besides people bitched about She-Ra for the changes because they changed the target audience for it and (while it took me forever to actually go and watch it) I loved the changes they did. So it's no fucking surprise that the nerdy boomers are batching about having their ultimate icon of masculinity changed too. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I never actually got around to watching the new She-ra (don't really remember much about the original and the animation style put me off too much). What were people mad about with that one?

We hopefully won't have to wait too long for Part 2. When they split a season in 2 like that, there's usually only 2-3 months between.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mera'din said:

I never actually got around to watching the new She-ra (don't really remember much about the original and the animation style put me off too much). What were people mad about with that one?

We hopefully won't have to wait too long for Part 2. When they split a season in 2 like that, there's usually only 2-3 months between.

My guess is they were upset that it caters to the LGBTQ community

Finished it, loved everything about it!

Spoiler

- The Sailor Moon transformation sequence

- Princess twink Adam

- Powerful Teela

- SKELETOR MY BELOVED

- The unexpected Evil-Lyn and Orko bonding

- Skeletor's ULTIMATE TROLL MOVE in the last episode :evillaugh:

Honestly it was great, I'm super looking forward to the inevitable continuation

7 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Basically the crux of it was that they took the franchise in a completely different direction than Revelations did, aesthetically and universally; they aimed for a younger audience and made it stand-alone, not tying in to the 80s franchise in terms of visuals or story. Like 666 says, there's also a strong element that were angry that it was "too PC", with people of all different ethnicities, ages, sexualities and body shapes.

• Like 1

This ^ They aimed it for Teen-Adult/younger generation so it is more women empowerment, LGBTQ, ethnics diversity and so on. Which of course, people who grew up with the 80's franchise of both She-Ra and He-Man are gonna cry their boomer tears. I was way too young to remember how either of the 80's original content was and I can either look to Hulu or Tubi if I really want to revisit it. (Although that in itself might make me cringe almost as much as rebinging original Thundercats did. 🤣)

I like the direction they took with both of these from their separate perspectives. Let the newer generation have this and then introduce them to when you first loved it. 

HEY, boomers are a couple generation above, thanks! 80s He-Man/She-Ra is old-millennial territory. :P I am literally one of the first wave of He-Man/She-Ra watchers, literally ran around the play park yelling the 80s She-Ra theme. :rotfl:

I love both the 80s franchises and the newest ones; 80s ones were glorified toy commercials in a lot of ways, but I'm still fond of them; I have to admit that Princesses of Power and Revelations have really outdone themselves though, great additions to the franchises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucy said:

HEY, boomers are a couple generation above, thanks

Dude I was born in 84! 🤣 I remember playing with all the toys and watching the shows. I can't remember fucking details because I'M OLD 😅

I'm just getting tired of all the boomer nerds bitching over small changes or other things acting like it's ruined it and not sharing that same passion that made them enjoy the 80's franchise then with the people who are loving the newer stuff. (I know I've had my complaints/bitching of nostalgia things) but to the degree that some people seem to waste energy typing and ranting their nostalgic woes is stupid. 

• Like 1

Think you're still missing the mark there. At the latest, boomers were born in the early 60s and were well into their 20s when this stuff started releasing (once again, on the absolute youngest end of the spectrum). It's our end of the Millennial generation, and the Gen Xers that would have watched the show originally. Most of the bitching probably coming from those two demographics as well despite it being made by one of the people that basically DEFINED Gen X.  All generations have their own brand of garbage people, and this is where ours shows through usually. XD

Also, not sure how I feel about a complete break from the original, but She-Ra sounds pretty decent. Will have to give it a watch at some point. They're supposed to be doing that with He-Man too (more kid/family friendly aimed version) after this show I believe.

• Like 1

Watched this.  I liked it. 

Spoiler

Ending 2 seconds after He-Man gets shanked was a huge dick move.

Honestly, I wish they'd just waited longer and released the entire thing.  It is WAY too short.  I'm kind of irritated by how short it is and the enormous cliffhanger is leaves off on. :lol:

It was definitely a bit jarring that they

Spoiler

suddenly changed the main character to Teela

but I actually enjoyed getting some time with the other characters on the show.  Though I admittedly barely remember the OG cartoon since I was VERY young when it was on TV. :lol:

Also just started watching She-Ra.  I like it.  I don't know why people are bitching about either of these.  Just fucking watch something else then.  Or watch it at all really because I feel like most of them didn't.

• Like 1