Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Summer Anime 2021

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's that time again!   https://anichart.net/Summer-2021

Funny enough there isn't anything too much in continuing anime I'm excited for so a lot of my list is what's new that I might be curious about and will check out the trailers for.

DEF ANIME:
HIGURASHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! @Anelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slime Datta Demon Lord S2 PT2
S2 OF DRAGON MAID!
Mohoutsukai No Youmei OVA!!!!!!!FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Nomad Short
Wonder Egg Short!
Hero Acadamia Movie
Belle

Continuing: Shaman King, Hero Acadamia, To Your Eternity

Maybes:
Tantei wa Mou
100 man S2 (it wasn't too bad but it wasn't something I was pushing to watch until I caught up on other things)
Vanitas no Carte
Peach Boy Riverside
Shiroi Suna no Aquatope
Heion Sedai no Idatentachi
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
Re-MAIN
Shinigami Bocchantonuro Maid
Kageki Shoujo
D-Cide Traumerei

I don’t think anything I’m following right now continues into the summer season, so it will be nice to get a fresh start after everything I’m watching now finishes. Problem is, not much interests me this summer. Maybe I’ll focus more on backlog stuff, re-watching old favourites, and reading manga this summer. 

I will say that I am interested in Shiroi Suna no Aquatope. Always gotta check out a new anime original every season, in search of my Holy Grail. 

I will also give season two of Dragon Maid a look… but Dragon Maid was *so* good, I have reservations about doing a second season. If it doesn’t live up to my expectations then that will kind of retroactively ruin the first season for me, if that makes sense :-/ 

edit: I forgot to mention Sonny Boy. The synopsis definitely got my attention. 

oh yah, and I’ll for sure watch the Wonder Egg special episode. Been waiting on that for a while!

Right now there's a mini shorts of Dragon Maid called Mini Dragon out right now but it's literally like 2 minute shorts. So get a short spurt of cute.

Trailer for S2

all i care about on this wretched miserable planet is more fucking higurashi 

Spoiler

this is a lie (uso da), but only barely

• Like 1

Dude I'm here for the (hopeful?) FINAL End of it! Final showdown!!!!!

yoshhhhhhhhhh anichart was fuckin' up on me yesterday and i was in too much pain to bother but now i'll take a better look

• Higurashi is what I'm most excited for, obviously. 
  • Hopeful that the Wonder Egg Priority special is gonna give us the closure we needed from the show because I really did enjoy the rest
  • Frothing at the mouth for Belle, I want to see that on a big screen so badly
  • Very excited for the My Hero Academia movie, I think it'll be like the others were it's not necessarily GOOD but fun to go watch! 
  • Tentative on Maiddragon..... I can't deny that I love the first season but there's so much of that series in general that squicks me and the ridiculous loli with basketball breasts character design is just....... oof. BUT it's kyoani and like I said, I can't deny that I enjoy the series so I'll be watching
  • I'm super ultra behind on slime but i'll eventually catch up so I guess that counts
  • Probably will give Vanitas no Carte a go just 'cause i like vampire shit
  • Curious about Peach Boy Riverside as well
  • Same with Sonny Boy
  • Interested in trying Kageki Shoujo!!, the art style looks interesting and I love Takarazuka Revue stuff
  • Like 1

Sonny Boy Ep 1(? It's disjointed so it might also be mash-ups of the first few episodes as an advance preview)

I dunno, was waiting for something to happen and then a little bit actually happened but I don't know if gave me the right kind of oomph. The animation was interesting, sometimes super bad and sometimes really good. I think the series debuts in mid-July so hopefully that'll be more interesting

@Vic Boss, agreed. I couldn't even get through the episode and moved onto something else. I understood the concept and I think if it was introduced a little differently. I would have least finished the episode. I am curious about the questions it presented through the story but none of it was keeping me interested enough to follow through. I may look into it as an off season anime later but just was a "no thanks" atm. 

• Like 1

I didn't notice this on the chart last I looked, but Cruncyroll and Adult Swim are collaborating to produce an original anime for this summer called Fena: Pirate Princess (listed as Kaizoku Oujo on AniChart). I'm not necessarily sold on it yet, but the trailer seemed decent, and I've already got a Crunchy subscription so why not give it a look? Also, the creator/director is Kazuto Nakazawa and he's got a pretty solid resume as a character designer and director.

I was gonna say that animation style B: The Beginning. It might be worth a look.

I haven't checked what stuff is out for Monday yet today because today is the worst heatwave WA has experienced in years so keeping the laptop on sleep mode for now. 😅🥵

Of interest for me on Crunchyroll are Fena, Aquatope, and Dragon Maid — air times are all TBD. 

Funi has Sonny Boy beginning July 15. 

Not sure yet if I will try anything else out. 

Right now the only one I've seen starting is Scarlet Nexus. Which is okay from first ep, I think that's one that might be a take it or leave it spam one if I need something for white noise.

I think the first part of Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway is coming to Netflix soon :shiny: I'm definitely watching that this weekend if it releases by then!

• Like 1

HIGURASHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Spoiler

Love love loooooove the new OP!

Fuck we're getting right into it. Rena being on the deep end of the virus. 

Satoko just letting things roll...

BYE RINA is it me or was she actually being less bitchy and being sincere that she wanted to help Rena's dad?

Peach Boy Riverside

Kinda sloppy start but interesting concept of using a legends story base. We'll see how this goes. 

Okay Vanitas no Carte looks really fun. And I like the story concept too. 

Kanojo mo Kanojo is the greatest single episode of anime I've ever seen in my entire life

16 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Kanojo mo Kanojo is the greatest single episode of anime I've ever seen in my entire life

Holy shit Naoya is Strawhat level stupid

It's like when Roger met Rayleigh, except Rayleigh is his girlfriend and the adventure he wants to go on is another girlfriend

• ROFL 1

Don't know if I'll stick with it, especially because Part 2 of Season 2 of Slime is also this season, but How A Realist Hero Rebuilt The Kingdom was okay

I barely got into the Realist Hero one. His reaction to being pulled into another world was meh to me. 

Re-Main was a cute start for a sports genre and I might stick with that one. 

I feel very called out/attacked with one of the main leads in Kageki Shojou :sweat: and so far I like it. 

KAGEKI SHOJOU IS EVERYTHING I WANTED I'M SO EXCITED

and i know what you meeeeeeeean but hey, there's finally a character we can hardcore relate to in a sea of tiny protags right >>

• Shiny 1

Soon as they pointed out how tall she was and then everything following after i died...but I am all in on this series

Hgnn it's so good to have Slime back. :love3:

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:33 PM, Tassifox said:

HIGURASHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Hide contents

Love love loooooove the new OP!

Fuck we're getting right into it. Rena being on the deep end of the virus. 

Satoko just letting things roll...

BYE RINA is it me or was she actually being less bitchy and being sincere that she wanted to help Rena's dad?

Spoiler

She was most definitely being sincere this time.  Remember before she was being a bitch before Rena even really did anything and reacted to being attacked with smugness.  I think this is the world where Teppei isn't influencing her to be a piece of shit, so she actually has a conscience and tries to do the right thing.

Making Rena's kill all the more tragic this time around.

• Like 1

Dude they turned up the ante in Dragon Maid and I am here for it!

• Like 1

There were a few good moments in Dragon Maid episode, but I’m not crazy about the new dragon :sick:

Dude if my chest glowed like that I'd have more dates. :sweat:

Higurashi

Spoiler

Duuuuuuude this one was HARD to watch on so many levels.
Seeing new creeper faces on Rena
The manipulation on Satoko watching things play out.
Rika taking herself out like that. The amount of blood flow from that should be comical from how it flows but just.....DAAAAAMN

Higurashi

Spoiler

I guess it must seem a lil strange that I'm not just typing paragraphs of reactions again but so far I'm just sitting mesmerized by all the insanity! We're firmly in answer arc territory and it's all so fucking brutal, god DAMN.

• Shiny 1

Yoshaaaa, Slime and Dragon Maid both back

• Like 1

Kanojo mo Kanojo 2

Holy fucking shit, the classroom scene :rotfl:

• Like 1

I think Aquatope is going to be a winner :thumbs:

Ehhh I'm going to give it more eps before I call anything. But I was having a hard time to pay attention to it until it got to the supernatural element. 

I found it very relaxing and I’m a sucker for this kind story. 

The first episode reminded me a bit of Sakura Quest, which I also really enjoyed. 

Kanojo mo Kanojo ep 2

Spoiler

did... did this idiot just offer to have his dick removed

Nagisa is bold

"kawaii bitch"

Saki you poor poor soul

NAGISA IS SO BOLD LMAO snoopin' them phones

SAKI YOU POOR POOR POOR SOUL AAAAHAHAHAHA

Studying on the terlit

Not plot reaction but I fucking love the way eyes are coloured in this series

these fucking idiots lmao

"i'll eat on the toilet" nagisa please

Higurashi

Spoiler

Damn, this next ep is gonna be hard to watch with Shion and Mion arc. 

I understand the reasoning but it's so heartbreaking to see Satoko become so manipulative and cunning with everyone the way she has. Plotting every step. 

• Sad 1

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that Aquatope will be my favourite anime this summer :nod:

I'm not sure what to make of Sonny Boy yet.

Awriiiight Boruto just hit another pretty good part. Just in time for some more anime-canon/filler :lol:

• ROFL 1

Man, splitting up Slime like this has lead me to forgetting who half of the characters are and what all of the politics mean, so the last few episodes have been a lot of me just going "Something's definitely happening here, couldn't tell you what."

Probably will have to rewatch this in full some day

• Like 1

That's what the recap episodes are for :sweat: It's definitely turning into a sufficient way for Rimuru to take care of several problems at once from all that's cultivated so far to now while he can focus on getting back at Clayman.

Higurashiiiiiiiiiiiii

Spoiler

This timeline always made me sad because I really liked Mion/Shion :(

I think this wasn't as holy cow of a death compared to what she did before but this one definitely was one of the more sad ones. 

Finally getting to see Itaden Gods Know Only Peace and the OP is catchy, the show is interesting.  Animation has a neat color scheme, kinda similar neato vibes that Soul Eater gives me.........um wait :eek3:.....hold that thought. 

Spoiler

Nun getting raped at the end of ep 1 was a huge 180 turn of the mood and vibe this series was starting out with :uhoh:

Also meant to post about ep 2 of Opera Girl. I had a feeling it was gonna get into some darker feels and I'm glad it didn't go as far as I thought it would but I makes a lot of sense with Ai-san's fear of men being it a common thing with idols but the source of it is definitely more understandable. 

Higurashi

Spoiler

Mion sobbing over Shion's body T-T

• Sad 1

Opera Girl Ep 3

Spoiler

I understand it's all for dramatic and char growth. That being said.....

I HATE SHITTY ACTIONS IN ORDER TO RAISE YOURSELF IN STATUS!

Taking that photo of Watanabe and purposely misconstruing the situation. So that upperclassmen bitch can get the advantage is the kind of female mentality that makes me hate my gender. 🤬 /rant.

Still enjoying this show a lot. They're hitting a lot of heavy points here. 

Watched Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop on Netflix and it was sooooo cuuuute!!!

Spoiler

I pretty much had to bite my lip not to cry when Smile was trying to glue the record back together and pieces kept falling and she was falling apart and I felt like that was a slight attack on how I feel about getting my life together. :puppyeyes::crying:

I dropped Duke of Death and the Maid series. I just can't find the appeal of certain anime in the....fuck I forget what the subgenre is called for it but the "light hearted teasing of affection between characters" type of genre.

My list for this season:

One Piece

Pokemon

Boruto

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibokan

Digimon (I think it's the last season)

Boku no Hero Academia

Slime

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

How A Realist Hero Saved The Kingdom (Almost dropped it)

Girlfriend to Girlfriend (Almost dropped it)

Goddess Dormitory :lurk:

I find it's a pretty weak overall season, combined with feeling a bit less in the mood for generic anime tropes and cliches at the moment. Gonna catch up on anime movies I've been meaning to watch instead before continuing with Bleach filler

• Like 1

I’m basically watching nothing this summer. Aquatope, and then catching up on some old stuff. We’ll finish Digimon too, we’re  just a few weeks behind. 

Higurashi

Spoiler

Jesus fucking christ

• Sad 1

Does anyone know if there's somewhere to watch an uncensored version of Higurashi?  Or is every version out there censored?

• Like 1