Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier (Disney+ 2021)

Yeah, I expected very little from this show and would almost say I hated the first episode, but damn that ending wrapped up everything nicely. I don't know how, but Marvel ALWAYS manage to pull it out of the bag.

While on the whole it was epic, I share a few of the concerns others do. 

Sam's goggles looked ridiculous and really took me out of his speech.

It's a bit odd that everyone just seems cool with Walker now, who killed in cold blood not long ago in our time, but I guess in universe the trial etc took a while? It felt a little rushed, but I guess that's the nature of these short-form TV shows.

I wish Bucky got a new name. "The Winter Soldier" still has negative connotations.

But those three things aside, great episode, great show, bring on Loki.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garlic Junior said:

It's a bit odd that everyone just seems cool with Walker now, who killed in cold blood not long ago in our time, but I guess in universe the trial etc took a while? It felt a little rushed, but I guess that's the nature of these short-form TV shows.

I think that a lot of that got rushed to where I'm not sure if people are going to really be "okay" with Walker now, I mean yea he redeemed himself a -little- but I think they were wrapping up things and focusing on other things to properly have afterthoughts on him. Like Bucky made a comment saying how he didn't like him quoting Lincoln since it was how he used it. So part of me thinks that Bucky ain't gonna be okay with him for awhile. If they had one more episode I think they probably would have handled that better but I agree, it did feel rushed with wrapping Walker up from the armor truck to the Val/he's a US Agent now scene. 

Definitely feel like some of that is the trappings of how short it was. Feels like they were going for how things worked with Walker in the comics, but couldn't really extrapolate that with the time they had (and with him not being the focus at that point) but it seems like they tried to have him convey through body language and what not that he has started to turn around, realizing what being Captain America really meant, etc. 

Kind of wonder if this version of Madame Hydra maybe represents 'The Commission', whom he worked for in the comics as both Captain America and US Agent. Could function as another potential thread leading to doing something with the Thunderbolts.

Really was hoping Sharon wouldn't be the Power Broker. They made it seem so obvious that I thought they must be going a different direction with it, but  I guess not. Still will certainly make things far more interesting if this carries forward to another season or whatever else. Last 5 years have not been kind to her I guess. 😧

Sam's speech was damn good. I didn't mind the suit. Probably one of the best comic to live action ones there has been so far where they tried to keep a more "realistic" utility look to it. Was never overly fond of the ones they did for Steve outside of the first Avengers movie, so that was a nice surprise. The fight scenes in the new suit were pretty awesome too. Felt like they really dialed up how he fights a couple notches too. Getting punched and blocking with the shield while also bracing himself with the wings digging into the concrete was great.

Also, Zemo's butler is fucking vicious. XD

Overall I really like how this whole thing played out. Planted a lot of seeds to go in any number of directions. Probably one of the most villain/antagonist packed things they've done so far too. Used/adapted 6 different villains. Gotta be a new record, or damn close at least. >_>

Dat closing title card was a nice touch too. "Captain America and The Winter Soldier"

• Like 1

I'm sad they killed off Batroc, it was nice having a lower level villain around.

• Like 1

Finished it up last night. Definitely thought the second half of the show was better than the first but still felt like a lot of it fell flat.

There was a lot of different story threads going around for only a 6 episode series...and a lot of them didn’t really get their just do. Seems like they tried to go for everything when a couple of elements should have been cut. Sam Walker being approached by The Countess stuff could have been post credits. I really wonder where they’ll try to fit him in going forward. I don’t think he’s popular enough to appear in a movie or get his own show. Maybe as just a very minor villain going forward?

I’m looking forward to Loki though, I’ve enjoyed the trailers so far.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, Garlic Junior said:

I wish Bucky got a new name. "The Winter Soldier" still has negative connotations.

He kind of does. White Wolf. This series, though, was still about closing the door on Winter Soldier. That being said, I'm pretty sure he'll more likely just be referred to as Bucky/Buck in the shows/movies. 

• Like 2