Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Spring Anime 2021

I couldn't help myself and take a peek since we're halfway through or close to done with most of the Winter Season. AND I'M TOTES EXCITE!!

https://anichart.net/Spring-2021

Def watching:

- Hero Academia 5

- Isekai Mou to Shokan 2

- FRUITS BASKET FINALE @Anelle @Lucy :shiny:

- Zombieland Saga 2

- Nomad Megalobox 2

- Shaman King Remake (totally didn't know that was happening)

- Yuuto Moriarty 2

- Subarashiki Kong Sakai (played the game, never finished but still loved it)

Maybe watches:

- Fumetsu no Anatae

- Sentouin, Hakenshimasu (done by the same person who did Konosuba)

- Mars Red

- Pretty Boy Detective Club

- Mashiro no Oto (fucking looove Shamisen music)

- Bakuten!!

- Jourai Princess of Snow and Blood

Ova:

B: The Beginning Secession

Danmachi 3 Ova

Eden

Yasuke

FRUITS BASKET

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA SEASON 2 

YAAAAAAAAAAS

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS

pretty pumped for MHA season 5 but those others are my top two because i CRAVE MORE and with my hero i at least get a fix from the manga every week

I'm very tentatively excited for Shaman King but it's one of those things where I'm not gonna let myself get too hyped until it's proved itself. Everything sounds like they're really gonna do it well this time around but still... i done been burned before 

I still might shit my pants over there being a The World Ends with You anime, honestly. It's been SO FUCKING LONG that I barely remember the full story so I'm waiting to pounce on that but the hype is real.

I think my attention span plate will be pretty full with those so I'll wait for more reactions and stuff for other series. 

• Shiny 1

FB: Idk if my body will be ready for this buuuuuuuuut I don't fucking care it's finally happening!
And totes agreed. Still love MHA but some of these I've been waiting on so long for more like Zombieland and UGH.
Shaman King I remember being one I enjoyed when it first came out but I think I might have to rewatch it just to get a feel for it again because it was around the same time Yu Gi Oh came out and a bunch of other stuff that I honestly don't remember how it ended.

I've looked over the trailers for some of my maybes and some of theme do look interesting. 
Jouran for example

And then the one that is done by the same person who did Re: Zero

Feels a little early to be looking ahead!

For sure I'll be watching Fruits Basket. 

Other things I'll check out:

- Iruma-kun: The first season was pretty amusing

- SSSS.DYNAZENON: The one last summer (SSSS.GRIDMAN) was OK, might as well check it out 

- Super Cub: The humble Honda Super Cub is one of the coolest rides ever :cool: Could be a fun slice of life

- TWEWY

I'll also have to take a closer look at the other anime originals as spring approaches. Always in search of the holy grail. 

2 minutes ago, little birdy said:

Feels a little early to be looking ahead!

I COULDN'T HELP IT! I was already looking at a couple of trailers on my youtube feed that popped up AND I WENT DOWN A RABBIT HOLE. THIS IS WHAT COVID ISOLATION DOES TO ME  :crying:

Haha, I actually popped open the next-season listings the other day, not too early for me :D

I'll be watching Fruits Basket with Lucy, My Hero Academia, I'll try Shaman King, Nomad: Megalo Box 2, The World Ends With You anime (I sorta don't like how it looks, I'm also REEEEE'ing because where's the actual good music from the game) all for sure.

I'll sample most things that aren't music-related, sports related (mostly) and sequels of already ongoing things

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

The World Ends With You anime (I sorta don't like how it looks, I'm also REEEEE'ing because where's the actual good music from the game) all for sure.

That's actually how the game is style wise too so the fact that they're trying something out of the box to stay true to it in some fashion I give props to. 

I was going to try and give Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san a try because of the stupid negativity of ignorant fans not doing their research. But after seeing the trailer, the female lead that's the source of the bad rep is rubbing me off as too annoying to sit through. 

*The bad rep I heard about is stupid fans accusing the anime creators of whitewashed the character.....when if you actually LOOK at some of the manga content.....the character is just fucking tan.......:facepalm:

I'm probably most excited about Shaman King here.  I never watched the original because I wrote it off as just some cash-in that's way too childish for the age I was.  And from what I understand, the anime was pretty much that.  Especially the dub.

But then I started hearing things about the manga and realizing there was actually a strong, hardcore fanbase, and after seeing/reading some samples, I started getting really curious.  Hearing about this remake was pretty perfect for me, so I'm taking this as the chance to dive in and hoping it's more accurate to the manga.

Other than MHA and Fruits Basket, nothing else here I really know and not particularly hyped for any, but I'll read all of your comments and determine whether I should give any of them my time.

• Like 1

B: The Beginning Secession was only 6 eps. :crying: But still so good!

From what has aired in my list so far:

Moriarty-Starting out strong already. I like the new Op.

BnH: see other thread

Jouran: animation is very interesting but kinda reminds me of Corpse Princess and a few other similar storylines but iz alright. I love that 1 character essentially has a steampunk light saber tho.  :rotfl:

Mars Red- it has me curious right now. Hopefully ep 2 gives me more bang. 

Tokyo revengers I watched since it was up and the trailer looked OK. The beginning is  hella confusing and feels rushed in so much story. I still have no idea what's really happening other than time travel 16min in. 

Tokyo Revengers was listed as "Episode 0" so I'm wondering if that was some kind of sped-up preview of a few episodes, because otherwise I stopped watching after two or three minutes because that was way too fast of a plot

I hope that is the case because holy fuck that pretty much made me lose all interest in wanting to see the actual 1st ep. It wasn't even on my list but I thought "why not?" 

SSSS.Dynazenon #1 -- Solid first episode. It's a slow starter, took probably 15 minutes to get to the good stuff (kaiju and mecha), but they did a good job of introducing the main characters and their situations in life before getting to the action. The studio is Trigger, so the show looks great and has some style. Even if you're not normally a big fan of mecha, I'd say give this a look anyway. I think this is sort of a sequel to SSSS.Gridman insofar as it takes place in the same universe, but it doesn't seem like it's necessary to have watched Gridman before watching this one. 

Vivy -Flourite Eye's Song- #1 -- I just watched this out of boredom not knowing what to expect, kinda thought it was just going to be a music anime... turns out it's got a pretty strong sci-fi element to it and I find it very interesting so far! You got AIs, time travel (an AI from 100 years in the future trying to prevent the AIs going to war with humans in the future), some nice work by Wit Studio. And episode #2 is already available too. I'll for sure keep watching. 

• Like 1

I've watched Shaman King and Dynazenon so far, both were okay. I'm giving Shaman King a few more episodes to sell me (since it is an old-school shonen and those would take a bit to get going).

Nomad 1

We Megalo-boxing again :shiny:

• Like 1

Shaman King

God it has been a long long long long time since I read the manga so I've forgotten almost everything entirely and this first ep is like.... PAINFULLY early 2000s shonen lmfao. Gave me fuckin' whiplash. Still, even if I've forgotten details I remember just devouring the manga so I'm gonna stick with it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little birdy said:

Vivy -Flourite Eye's Song- #1 -- I just watched this out of boredom not knowing what to expect, kinda thought it was just going to be a music anime... turns out it's got a pretty strong sci-fi element to it and I find it very interesting so far! You got AIs, time travel (an AI from 100 years in the future trying to prevent the AIs going to war with humans in the future), some nice work by Wit Studio. And episode #2 is already available too. I'll for sure keep watching. 

Episode #2 was pretty good too, except for one thing at the end :(

• Like 1

I'm glad I watched Vivy because the trailer wasn't giving me anything to be interested in it originally. Idk if I'll stick with it as it goes but if nothing else come back to it when it's finished. 

Nomad: soooo good it's back!

Sentouin, Hakashimasu: if you liked Konosuba you might like this, definitely has the randomness of the other series. 

2 hours ago, Anelle said:

Shaman King

God it has been a long long long long time since I read the manga so I've forgotten almost everything entirely and this first ep is like.... PAINFULLY early 2000s shonen lmfao. Gave me fuckin' whiplash. Still, even if I've forgotten details I remember just devouring the manga so I'm gonna stick with it

I'm actually rewatching the previous series and seriously same. The music, the theme of characters. Fucking takes me back man. I'm almost done with it but the remake hasn't popped up on my gogo feed yet.

Oh, adding one more thing. If you like music genre anime and shamisen music. Def watch Mashiro no Oto. Holy crap while I enjoyed the slow pace of the story so far (which looks like it's gonna take a different turn in Ep 2) the music was TIGHT

Just watched first 2 eps of Vivy and I am so down for this!! Loving it so far!

8 hours ago, Anelle said:

Just watched first 2 eps of Vivy and I am so down for this!! Loving it so far!

Yeah :highfive: The first two episodes impressed me quite a bit, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it will continue to be good!

I watched the first two episodes of B: The Beginning -- Succession last night. They were good, but at first I was really struggling to remember _anything_ about the first season :lurk: It's slowly coming back to me enough that I get what's going on now, but during the first episode I was seriously thinking I'd have to re-watch the whole first season :rotfl: Gonna try to polish it off tonight if the Raptors game isn't entertaining.

Also, the one about the yakuza dad is supposed to hit Netflix this Thursday. I remember reading about that a while back... maybe in the Fall or Winter thread? It's all a blur these days. Anywho, I'll check it out.

FRUITS BASKET DAY FRUITS BASKET DAY

Strong start right where they left off and the OP and ED are both LOVELY. DAT NEW ART

:shiny::shiny::shiny::shiny::shiny:

FUCK I FORGOT AND I WAS THE ONE WHO BROUGHT IT UP JUST THE OTHER DAY!

Yay. Was Fruits Basket in the same time slot last year? I didn't remember it being a Monday show, but I'll be happy to watch it every Monday night :nod:

18 hours ago, little birdy said:

I watched the first two episodes of B: The Beginning -- Succession last night. They were good, but at first I was really struggling to remember _anything_ about the first season :lurk: It's slowly coming back to me enough that I get what's going on now, but during the first episode I was seriously thinking I'd have to re-watch the whole first season :rotfl: Gonna try to polish it off tonight if the Raptors game isn't entertaining.

Finished Succession last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first season, but it was OK. It's a shame it was only 6 episodes. It didn't feel like there was enough time there for much to actually happen as this isn't a super fast-paced story. It also didn't seem to me that they made the best use of time in each episode either. Oh well. I'd watch this just for Lily :love3:

I feel like they're gonna add more episodes of that down the line but I kinda agree that it wasn't as satisfying to watch. I think it's because they reduced the amount of episodes so it takes a lot of the mystery appeal that they had in the first season out. (As well as how they were using key players in the story). 

Also idk how but I somehow missed gogo putting in the first ep of Shaman King and I'm glad I'm rewatching the older series because now I'm curious how they're going to approach this story. If you haven't seen or rewatched the older series I don't recommend reading my spoiler below since I'll be doing little comparisons about it. Unless you just don't care then whatevs.

Spoiler

The fact that they begin with the introduction of Hao and Yoh and a little about their origin before the OP is I feel a better way. You don't meet Hao until about....30eps in I think after the Shaman King preliminary matches for the tournament. And while it's obvious about the plot points that Hao is Yoh's twin brother and the tournament has a deeper purpose you don't learn it until even further into the story (like ep 40/64) in the series.

I'm hoping that by doing this they take out a chunk of the filler eps in the story arcs (which i' now seeing with them skipping Yoh and Mosuke reforging the sword) and focus on keeping attention to the main story overall. I'm almost done with watching the older series but there were a lot of eps I didn't pay attention to because I knew they were just filler.

I'm kinda laughing that the new animation style actually makes Anna look more feminine and while that's whatever I kinda miss the old style of the art. 

I also like you get a little more backstory on Amidimaru and Mosuke, they make a point of showing their friendship while they were alive a couple times  but you only see spirit Mosuke like even less than Amidimaru. 

Oh, Slime's not continuing this season, it's a slice-of-life spin-off

4 hours ago, Tassifox said:

I feel like they're gonna add more episodes of that down the line but I kinda agree that it wasn't as satisfying to watch. I think it's because they reduced the amount of episodes so it takes a lot of the mystery appeal that they had in the first season out. (As well as how they were using key players in the story).

Production of the second season was apparently announced in 2018, and then all we got was six episodes in 2021... so I can't help but wonder, if they do announce another season, how long it will take to do and how many episodes it will be. If/when we do get more episodes, I will have forgotten everything all over again :rotfl: :| 

• Like 1

Considering how they kinda left things off I have a feeling that they might add at least another 6eps in that (I mean they did that with Carol and Tuesday even though it was fully released in other sites) how long it'll be until then. Who knows.

4 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Oh, Slime's not continuing this season, it's a slice-of-life spin-off

That's the jist I got from watching the trailer. Especially when the title says "Slime Diaries". I feel like this is their excuse to get through all their jokes and giggles on the more random bits of the actual series main story. 

Watched the first episode of Odd Taxi. The title is fitting :lol: It's a mystery. I thought maybe it would be more funny, but it isn't really laugh-out-loud funny. Quirky is maybe a better descriptor. The first episode got me curious enough to watch another. 

Full Dive: The Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

What a title :rotfl: I'm gonna check this out later today because I find the title and synopsis pretty amusing. It might be total trash, or it might be hilarious. We will soon find out!

1 hour ago, little birdy said:

Full Dive: The Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

What a title :rotfl: I'm gonna check this out later today because I find the title and synopsis pretty amusing. It might be total trash, or it might be hilarious. We will soon find out!

It's mostly trash, but it's also speaking to me a little bit. I agree that super-realistic games suck. Games should be fun! "Real life sucks", "Today sucks" -- tell me about it, buddy. The way Hiro gets tricked into buying that shitty game and then totally botches the start of it is pretty damn funny :rotfl: I'll give it another week or two to see where it goes.

Best Friend Killer :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: 

Super Cub #1 -- I'm an absolute sucker for this kind of story. The poor girl basically has nothing, lives by herself, no parents, no friends, etc. But she bought a Super Cub, one of the coolest motorbikes ever; so, slowly but surely, everything is going to turn around for her starting right now :shiny: "I wonder how far my Cub will take me." I can't wait to find out! (The first episode moved at a very slow pace, I'm not sure how many other people would be into it... but I will like this show no matter what)

I was interested in Super Cub because I had a lot of fun with "cute girls on motorbikes" thing with Bakuon a few years back, but then like 30 seconds in and it already hit the "I WANT TO LIVE IN ANIME JAPAN" switch so it's a winner

"How many people did these kill?" :rotfl:

:highfive: A winner for sure!

Omg @Anelle if you want a good laugh at a nonsense anime def watch Fairy Ranmaru. :rotfl: it's just like the Magical Boy Love parody series but they stepped it up a notch. 

ZOMBIELAND SAGA REVENGE

Spoiler

Omg I missed all the girls! Loving the premise that they had debt issues but there might be more to Tatsumi manager trying to gave a set goal by a specific date. I can't wait to see what kind of music we'll see here.  

Shaman King 2

Spoiler

Fuck I love that they're just getting right into the story and condensing the filler. 

I legit thought it was too soon to introduce Ren but it wasn't as big of a gap from the older series because they just cut out all the crap with Ryu and Anna's training from the first 2 eps.

I also like how most of the voice actors sound similar to the previous ones (unless they're the same which would be neat too I haven't looked it up) 

Gokushufudou is funny as fuck. Watched the first ep and I'll space out the others to be weekly (Netflix batch-released)

Ep 2 of Shaman King didn't really grab me either, I'll give it one more.

7 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Gokushufudou is funny as fuck. Watched the first ep and I'll space out the others to be weekly (Netflix batch-released)

I checked in on that last night and thought it was pretty amusing. I was kinda thinking of just watching it all in one shot if I really liked it, since it's only 5 parts that are less than 20 minutes each, but I will probably also space it out a bit too. While it was amusing, one episode at a time feels like enough. I'm not in love with the animation style.

Netflix chose to be cagey with their advertising for Gokushufudou, it's called something like an "animated comic" in japan but marketed to other countries as "anime" which had people's expectations up for like... movement lmao. It's just meant to breathe a little more life into the comic with limited motions and voice acting. I really hope it gets a full blown anime sometime because I would absolutely watch it

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to describe it, but I figured their was a better way to describe it than "anime". "Animated comic" is a much better term. Almost feels like watching a visual novel. Like, it's not necessarily bad, but it's not what I was expecting. I don't mind the parts where it's mostly still and maybe just one small aspect is animated, but I find the parts where the whole picture shakes are a bit jarring and hard to watch. I know it's done for effect and all that, but my eyes/brain don't like it.

It has its own charm, I think I'm going to follow in Ma's footsteps and pace it out a bit, the shakey parts aren't kind on my brain either. I was still delighted the whole time, mind you, but yeah

Fridays will be known as Mecha Day for the Spring season :shiny:

I'm still enjoying Back Arrow quite a bit. It's not great, but I thinks it's a fun mix of some good characters and an interesting idea for mecha (Briheights). It gets a bit goofy at times. It's just a fun time. It doesn't have a great score on MAL, so I guess many people are not very high on it, but that's not going to take away from my enjoyment.

SSSS.Dynazenon is good so far too. It's no AOTS candidate, but it's solid.

Gokushufudou was okay.I think it's a little too random for me with the shorts but it's okay. It has its moments.

15 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Ep 2 of Shaman King didn't really grab me either, I'll give it one more.

It's definitely more enthralling than the older series with how much they've cut down so far. (Although I don't get why Ren is obsessed with Amidimaru since he wasn't in the previous stuff but it might tie into what his motivation for being Shaman King is somehow. ) This is why I have a rule of minimum of 5 episodes for a series to catch my attention.

The World Ends With You. The animation is pretty neat with how they're keeping it similar to the game style. And it's been so long since I played it that I can go into the story fresh. 

The World Ends With You has the music intact :shiny:

(Or at least some of it, which is what I wanted. Still no Three Minutes Clapping tho)

• Like 1

First episode of TWEWY was pretty OK!

Vivy #3

15 year time skip kinda caught me by surprise, but... OK! Makes sense since this a 100 year project that Matsumoto is working on. I guess you can't accomplish it all in a day. Speaking of Matsumoto, that little guy talks too fast! It's not often that I can keep up with subtitles, but I've had to pause/rewind a few times now because of this guy

:lolgrin: :lurk: Episode 3 was perhaps not quite as strong as the first 2, but I'm curious to see the continuation and what happens with the AI hotel owner they're trying to stop.

• Like 1

thoughts on Vivy

Spoiler

I actually like the fact that Matsumoto takes himself out after the mission was completed for the reason he points out. Everything he does there would be a possibility of creating unwanted ripples into history that unless they absolutely need to be changed, he doesn't really need to be there. Diva/Vivy would only keep asking questions or as he's mentioned "Make personal calculations" in changing things that while maybe horrible or affect her personally, don't need her to intervene for the sake of history. It seems like now Matsumoto's creator is only focusing on main historic bookmarks like this space hotel incident that effect the future of AI's for whatever reason.
Totally knew Stella was gonna go cray cray though.

Tokyo Revengers official first ep, while more clear, still didn't really capture my attention with the story. At least not to consistently watch it right now.
86: Basically Hunger Wars vibes in class status's with the Districts and mechs.
Shadows House: Don't remember if that was something I was looking at in the Spring lineup originally but watching it, the story and the symbolism in it has caught my curiosity.

I watched ep 1 of Shadows House........ then immediately binged the manga to current. Definitely sticking with this one! 

• Like 1