Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

Lovecraft Country

18 and I are 5 eps into Lovecraft Country, a show that nobody else seems to watch! I've also read the book, but vastly prefer the show so far. (Really well scored. Great mix of contemporaneous and contemporary black music) 

Any other viewers?

I am curious about it but I don't have HBO :shrug:

Really been wanting to watch it, but trying to clear my queue out a bit before I get it. Figured it wouldn't hurt to let a few episodes build up. Been hearing REALLY good things so far.

Bitch I watch every week

Same as birdy, Don't have HBO so until it comes an alternate option going to be on the need to watch later list.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, Anelle said:

Bitch I watch every week

Yaaay

18 didn't like 

Spoiler

the VFX on the transformation serum and thought that it should've been I guess some sort of Carpenter VFX? I thought it was sufficiently horrific though, def gave me dat puking feeling. 

I love that the influences run beyond Lovecraft & felt that one of the episodes in particular felt like it was intended to be a subversion of such as National Treasure, Da Vinci Code by including racism/manifest destiny

Spoiler

Yeah there was something a little "off" to me about those VFX, but I couldn't really specify it. It deffo got the job done, I was delightfully horrified each time. The kumiho tails were a little off for me too, but I dunno if that's a matter of how the CG felt to me or the fact that my brain kept going "spider legs" even though I knew they were "tails"

1 episode from finale!

Chelle keeps asking me ahead-of-time questions but the show has really run with the premise (Segregation-Horror) and ignored the (5/10) narrative of the book so I can't tell her Shit. Show is spinning a lot of plates, has a lot of subplots going on... and I don't think this is the kinda show that will get a S2... SAD

oh man what a finale

I'm torn, I obviously want more of this but I also feel like I just got a great story served to me and am satisfied. Gonna keep an eye out for any season 2 talk tho!

• Like 1

I don't think there'll be a season 2 given

Magic's been taken away from wppl forever and Christina has been strangled. The strangulation and "You don't get it, do you?" seemed to be an outright rejection of an audience wanting to see more.

Which is a shame, because there seemed to be a lot more content in the concept. But a big-budget series or movie in which a societal ill is actually somewhat solved is rare. "It's over, and this is desirable" seemed to be the message.

Ma boi Zizek talks about how he'd sell his mother for a V for Vendetta part II because we saw the revolutionary event, and not the aftermath. (Mr. Robot kind of did this) but in this we kind of did see a little bit of the aftermath in the

strangulation

Yeah, like... this story itself is neatly wrapped up, but I meant more of them doing something like American Horror Story or Haunting of Hill House where some of the cast comes back for a new story! It could be great but it could also just be a mediocre follow up, so I'm not sure if getting more would be good. Misha Green (showrunner) has expressed interest in a Season 2 in some bits I've read! There's obviously lots that can be explored or expanded upon lore wise so a new season with a new story is doable, it's just the tiny matter of small things like writing and greenlighting. Small. Tiny. Just the whole damn thing. 

So yeah, the part i'm "torn" over is am I a jerk for wishing for more after enjoying a full course

Just started watching today with Jovanna.  Finished the first 3 episodes I think.  What the fuck? :rotfl:  I'm definitely liking this.  Curious what the fuck happens now that

Spoiler

He destroyed the house and everyone in it somehow

Finished it tonight.  Show is fucking crazy.  I loved it. :shiny:

Spoiler

I could see them maybe flashing forward a few decades for a new story.  See what's going on with Dee who is obviously the one that handed Tic the book in the future.

• Like 1

Binged the whole thing and was done with it around midnight yesterday. HOLY FUCK

Spoiler

The overall storyline was great among the "let's see what supernatural rando shit we get into today but oh it's not actually that rando!" day to day.
Peele's symbolism used in every ep was ON FUCKING POINT. I need to watch some breakdown youtube vids to wrap my head around them.
Latti and Dea were probably two of my favorite characters.
I do like how it ended where pretty much everything tied off with no loose threads but still gave an opening for a 2nd season if they go that route.

Just FYI Jordan Peele is just a producer, he did not direct or develop the series himself. Misha Green is the showrunner!

• Like 1