Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Fall Anime 2020

I'm cooling on Akudama Drive. First ep is still cool as fuck, but it's slowed down quite a bit

Considering that it's in the 3rd episode and they're just diving in, I'm not surprised, but:

Spoiler

With that Kansai puppet show wreaking of rewritten history and what we might learn about the cat AI and backgrounds of the Akuadma? This is definitely gonna be good since it's the same people who did Danganronpa .

OH i watched the first ep and a half of Jujutsu Kaisen and I can see why people like it! I hope to get more into it but I lost all focus half way thru ep 2 (no fault of the show) so maaaaaaaybe i'll catch up and be able to chatter on that one!

re: Jujutsu Kaisen: I fell asleep during episode #2 :rotfl: It got better though in the third and fourth episode and I am looking forward to #5 next weekend.

Jujutsu definitely has a semi slow buildup from ep 1 but I enjoy it alot! Also Demon Doggos!

1 hour ago, little birdy said:

re: Jujutsu Kaisen: I fell asleep during episode #2 :rotfl: It got better though in the third and fourth episode and I am looking forward to #5 next weekend.

oh shit maybe it wasn't just my super ultra ADHD then 

YOSHAAAA, been saying it for like two or three years but I finally caught up on the Boruto anime. Was def a mistake to do the catch-up on two endless anime at once but it was close enough when I started Bleach that I still got through it pretty quickly.

Also the next episode of Boruto is about the Scooby Gang infiltrating Orochimaru's lair because a make-a-wish kid wants his autograph, filler can be pretty a-okay (acks the recent filler arc from Black Clover suuuuucked but the the individual training episodes, like Gordon sneaking into the bath to wash Gauche's back still make it worth it)

Also Bleach in the Soul Society Arc is so goddamn hype

So it might be because I've been playing a lot of it recently but.......I  realized that Talentless Nana is Among Us with psychics instead of astronauts. :rotfl:

11 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

YOSHAAAA, been saying it for like two or three years but I finally caught up on the Boruto anime. Was def a mistake to do the catch-up on two endless anime at once but it was close enough when I started Bleach that I still got through it pretty quickly.

Also the next episode of Boruto is about the Scooby Gang infiltrating Orochimaru's lair because a make-a-wish kid wants his autograph, filler can be pretty a-okay (acks the recent filler arc from Black Clover suuuuucked but the the individual training episodes, like Gordon sneaking into the bath to wash Gauche's back still make it worth it)

Also Bleach in the Soul Society Arc is so goddamn hype

In the midst of a slow catch up of Black Clover, and I did enjoy all the training filler except for the Vanessa one.  The rest was mostly a bag of meh.

@Anelle
HIGURASHI!

Spoiler

Duuuuuuuuude if Rika didn't step in I was legit wondering who Keichi was going to give the doll to! It was interesting how they did the tournament differently overall.
Also the bike scene at the end was WAY more intense in this new version than the old!
One thing I am curious about though is how they are going to go about this series since they solved the mystery and "defeated fate" in '07 series Higurashi Kai. 

Also Akudama Drive 4

Spoiler

So if the Decontamination Zone kills all organic life, what's the purpose of the passenger cars on the train?
And now we have 2 kids who are being lugged around like cattle, and if they were being sent to Kanto does that mean that the Vault had a special barrier that would have protected them from the Decontamination Zone.
Things are getting interesting now.

higurashi

Spoiler

i still can't decide if this is supposed to be like steins gate zero, which is a midquel of sorts, it fills in some story that wasn't shown in the main series or if this is another set of loops after everyone seemed to win and she's just forgotten. I feel like the answer arcs of this series is gonna go apeshit and use lore from Umineko but that may just be fan hope BUT I SWEAR THEY'VE HINTED AT IT AND IT WOULD MAKE TOTAL SENSE AND A;RT/FEANAEGDNEDFBHRAETFGENEDFTGB I NEED MORE

Rika is obviously using knowledge of previous loops to try and influence but I really wonder if this is showing what her attempts looked like before she went for broke and flat out told everyone and asked for help.

• Like 1

@Anelle (the stupid tags don't want to work if I fuck it up)

Spoiler

There was also that one Ova that was a time line where because Rika accidentally killed herself before shit went down with Miyo, Rika ended up being in a Loop where her mother ended up being the reincarnation of Hanyuu and actually learning her backstory. Which meant no murders, no military trying to make a disease, no Rena or Keichi transferring into town, the dam was built and other stuff. But then Rika had to kill her mother in order to get back to the previous timeline soooooo maybe it's an alternative from that.

It could possibly be anything with how they are going in between the 2 main series and kinda filling in stuff in between.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, Psycho666Soldier said:

In the midst of a slow catch up of Black Clover, and I did enjoy all the training filler except for the Vanessa one.  The rest was mostly a bag of meh.

I think the camaraderie of the characters is so strong that single episode training filler or "Prickly Queen fails to tell Yami she l-l-l-l-likes him" slice of life can be really entertaining. Filler arcs have the potential to be really cool, like some filler dungeon or filler magic zone or something, but trying to tie it into the main plot when it can't move the main plot forward at all seems a bit like a mistake.

(Then again endless anime probably shouldn't exist these days anyways, but yeah)

12 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Reveal hidden contents

Duuuuuuuuude if Rika didn't step in I was legit wondering who Keichi was going to give the doll to! It was interesting how they did the tournament differently overall.
Also the bike scene at the end was WAY more intense in this new version than the old!
One thing I am curious about though is how they are going to go about this series since they solved the mystery and "defeated fate" in '07 series Higurashi Kai. 

Also Akudama Drive 4

Hide contents

So if the Decontamination Zone kills all organic life, what's the purpose of the passenger cars on the train?
And now we have 2 kids who are being lugged around like cattle, and if they were being sent to Kanto does that mean that the Vault had a special barrier that would have protected them from the Decontamination Zone.
Things are getting interesting now.

I'm cooling on the plot but the action is so fucking cool in this

I lol'ed like a motherfucker when Courier shot Brawler in the face and then :shiny:'ed when it showed that Brawler caught the bullet with his teeth, and "YOSHHHHHA"ed when Courier played dirty and shot the younger executioner when she was unconscious.

• Like 1

Fire Force

Spoiler

AHHHHHHH Scythe Samaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shiny::shiny::shiny: YAAAAS Same universe yo!

Netflix 2021 anime lineup

Some interesting things in there! I've been looking forward to more B: The Beginning. I'll definitely check the new anime original from Wit Studio, and Spriggan, as well. 

Golden Kamuy is wonderful, what the fuck was that episode even :rotfl:

I feel like we're getting filler episodes at this point from the randomness of this Season. But just not as much compared to most Shonen shows.

Some of those look interesting enough for new shows. The House Husband ex*Yakuza sounds hilarious.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:23 PM, Tassifox said:

The House Husband ex*Yakuza sounds hilarious.

Yeah, Gokushufudou sounds alright too!

• Like 1

Oh good. Golden Kamuy is getting back on track from the silly stuff.

higurashi gou ep 6

Spoiler

SHION SHION SHION SHION SHION SHION SHION

I love Shion. lol. I'm very very interested to see how they alter this arc! 

• Like 1

Jujutsu Kaisen Ep 6

The fucking puncy-doll :lol:

I also lol'ed when Itadori sucker punched demon-guy after agreeing to his terms, and then demon-guy insta-killed him when he got Itadori to agree to a death match

higurashi gou ep 7

Spoiler

*heavy fucking breathing* HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

it's wild as fuck seeing "real" Rika just come out like that I guess we get to see this storyline play out with her having given up on it, although there's a lot of other key changes from the storyline this is imitating. Gotta just vibrate until next ep I guess

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anelle said:

higurashi gou ep 7

Hide contents

*heavy fucking breathing* HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

it's wild as fuck seeing "real" Rika just come out like that I guess we get to see this storyline play out with her having given up on it, although there's a lot of other key changes from the storyline this is imitating. Gotta just vibrate until next ep I guess

Spoiler

For sure.
* It may just be me but I feel like they went into more detail on the legend of the curse.
* Tomitake and Takano stealing the van
* Takano staying behind for "photos"
* Scary Rika!

Fuck I have no idea how this is going to go!

Who's still keeping up with Digimon Adventure? Episode 24:

I hope my kid doesn't get nightmares from this

:uhoh: Donedevimon was kinda scary. Pretty rad episode though!

I thought maybe this would be a 25/26 episode thing just for the spring/summer seasons and then come back next spring, but now it's looking more like they'll just keep on trucking thru the fall and winter. According to the Toei website, the series format is "66 eps x 23 min" so we're not even halfway done yet.

• Like 1

I thought we were getting a Devimon extended arc but they kinda just rushed through it in a few episodes

Yeah these last few episodes did feel just a bit rushed. There was opportunity missed to stretch it out a bit longer, work in some backstory, etc.

Higurashi 8

Spoiler

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck this loop went nuts! Mion went totally awol!

Higurashi Gou ep 8

Spoiler

yeah!!! They went hard on the end there, I am dying for some answer arcs!!!

edit to add---

Spoiler

I REALLY DIDN'T NEED TO SEE THE TURDS RIKA WAS FLOATING WITH BUT OK

• ROFL 1

JuJutsu Kaisen 08

Toudou the GOAT character and you can't convince me otherwise

I'm about 0% interested in the secondary characters. Gimme episodes about Itadori, Fushiguro, Hammer Girl, and Gojo wasting bad guys. That's all I need. 

• Like 1

Fire Force 21

Spoiler

NUUUUUUUU PLZ NOT Juggernaut!!!! :bawling:

Yeah I kinda like this guy :rotfl:

BTW Golden Kamuy is great

Season 3 Episode 9 = :rip:

Metalgreymon's mouthed nipple missiles bother me every time.

attack on titan s4 ep1

Trying to watch this legally is annoying because none of the sites are prepared lmao. Crunchyroll and Funimation main sites both crashed but VRV held up so I watched there.

Don't really got anything spoilery to say, MAPPA animation looks like it's gonna do real nice. So far not on par with prior seasons but I mean I can't really blame Wit for being like FUCK THIS WE'RE OUT because the crunch was insane. They're following manga style very well and doing best they can to live in the shadow of Wit tho so good on 'em

Shingeki no KYOJIN Final Season Ep 1

Unpopular opinion maybe? I think I've already voiced this before so it's probs nothing new

I think the setting and story overall took a major hit once they started doing the stereotypical Nazi/Jewish Holocaust/World War shit because now we're not overmatched humanity fighting man-eating giants with enlarged box-cutters and spider-man harpoons, we're just boring ass guns/military/politics mixed with kooky monsters and I could go watch Hellsing do that better if I wanted to 😕

tl;dr Plz stop with this Eldian business and go back to where we were before.

• Like 1

SnK talk

Spoiler

Nah, not really unpopular. I agree with you, the big plot shift twist or whatever really took some of the more enjoyable wind out of the sails of the series. Gonna double spoiler now due to manga spoilers for those who don't keep up

Spoiler

I still like reading it but it's just not the same. Once I got used to them (and it took a long time and a few re-reads of the arc) I do like/enjoy the mainland characters for what they are, but it still feels like it's not what I signed up for with this series. It went from the fun kind of batshit "what the hell is going on" to a more somber, boring "what the hell is going on" and I'm just ready to see the end happen and move on. 

That said, I'm still very excited to see a lot of things get animated for this last season. I'm very curious about some of the plot additions/changes they've already shown in this first ep because the author has said before that a lot of the anime changes are "fixes" to the canon that he wanted but forgot or whatever. As sick as I am of war shit and propaganda the OP is great. First time I saw and heard it I loved the visuals but wasn't sold on the song, then by the end of the ep realized the song was stuck in my head and rewatched it and now I'm into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Boss said:

Shingeki no KYOJIN Final Season Ep 1

Unpopular opinion maybe? I think I've already voiced this before so it's probs nothing new

Hide contents

I think the setting and story overall took a major hit once they started doing the stereotypical Nazi/Jewish Holocaust/World War shit because now we're not overmatched humanity fighting man-eating giants with enlarged box-cutters and spider-man harpoons, we're just boring ass guns/military/politics mixed with kooky monsters and I could go watch Hellsing do that better if I wanted to 😕

tl;dr Plz stop with this Eldian business and go back to where we were before.

I've heard the opinion before, so maybe not particularly unpopular.

Spoiler

I think where it goes is very worth it.  The show has changed, that's for sure, and it never fully "goes back." But I think the emotional intensity of the coming events is both worth it and in spirit with the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

I've heard the opinion before, so maybe not particularly unpopular.

Hide contents

I think where it goes is very worth it.  The show has changed, that's for sure, and it never fully "goes back." But I think the emotional intensity of the coming events is both worth it and in spirit with the show.

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on it being worth it! It just feels so entirely different that it's hard to reconcile that this was the other kind of batshit. I dunno, I'm not trying to shit on it too much because I do enjoy it. I am just weary of full on war shit. The latest shit in the manga is absolutely batshit bonklers and I am HERE for it. The journey our main cast has been on is nuts. I'm ready for an end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anelle said:

Hide contents

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on it being worth it! It just feels so entirely different that it's hard to reconcile that this was the other kind of batshit. I dunno, I'm not trying to shit on it too much because I do enjoy it. I am just weary of full on war shit. The latest shit in the manga is absolutely batshit bonklers and I am HERE for it. The journey our main cast has been on is nuts. I'm ready for an end.

Spoiler

Yeah, I totally get that.  It was a risky move for sure, and it greatly changes the tone and setting of the series in a way that can be alienating.  So in the same way you're not trying to shit on it, I'm also not trying to outright defend it.  More of an encouragement for Ma(and anyone else who may be apprehensive) to give it a chance to get to the meat of this portion.  Because the next few chapters that are covered are considerably more tame than the rest of the show.  Especially if you're not fully pulled in by the "other side" intrigue.

I had the benefit of reading it when this whole portion was finished, so I got to binge through it and probably wasn't as bothered as some were.

I do agree that I'm ready for an ending, though, and hoping things wrap up within the next 5 chapters.  Thankfully, it does look like we're officially in endgame.

4 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I totally get that.  It was a risky move for sure, and it greatly changes the tone and setting of the series in a way that can be alienating.  So in the same way you're not trying to shit on it, I'm also not trying to outright defend it.  More of an encouragement for Ma(and anyone else who may be apprehensive) to give it a chance to get to the meat of this portion.  Because the next few chapters that are covered are considerably more tame than the rest of the show.  Especially if you're not fully pulled in by the "other side" intrigue.

I had the benefit of reading it when this whole portion was finished, so I got to binge through it and probably wasn't as bothered as some were.

I do agree that I'm ready for an ending, though, and hoping things wrap up within the next 5 chapters.  Thankfully, it does look like we're officially in endgame.

Since it's a monthly, I don't think it can drag on too much longer now that the final anime season has started airing. Won't take long for the anime to catch up.

Spoiler

I haven't been keeping up in the manga since Vol 19, but I'm fine reading spoilers for that at this point since I haven't had the urge to read a lot of manga vs books these days for various reasons. And like the rest of ya, I'm ready for an end of this story. Also done with war stuff but whatevs. It's the direction they're taking.

That being said they definitely don't waste time on the insta gore and dread on those tactical attacks. There was some pretty kick ass moments there like the air drop of the lesser Titans. Very nice.
Also I insta hate Gabi right now. I'm sure that might change later but her personality right now just irks me tf out. :rotfl:

1 hour ago, Tassifox said:
  Hide contents

Also I insta hate Gabi right now. I'm sure that might change later but her personality right now just irks me tf out. :rotfl:

Welcome to the club

• Like 1

First episode of the final season was pretty solid :nod: I think MAPPA has gotten off to a decent start. I'm not crazy about the opening or ending themes, but oh well. 

So much crazy shit is going to go down. I can't wait to see it all animated :shiny: I'm up-to-date on the manga so I know what's coming, but that really doesn't take anything away from it. 

Golden Kamuy S3 11

Spoiler

Dude everything was SO intense in this episode! I loved it all except for the pissing on Asripa haha bit. Like seriously you couldn't just have the dog lick her face to thaw her eyelid???? Totally killed the mood of that whole shooting Ogata/reunion scene

Higurashi 12

Spoiler

Getting to the halfway point now! Is it just me or did Keichi throw some extra threats at Grandma Sonozaki ?

Higurashi

Spoiler

I DON'T KNOW BUT THEY ARE GIVING ME ANXIETY OUT THE ASS SOMETHING HORRIBLE IS GONNA HAPPEN STOP DRAGGING IT OUT AND GIVING ME HOPE

On 12/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, Anelle said:

Higurashi

Hide contents

I DON'T KNOW BUT THEY ARE GIVING ME ANXIETY OUT THE ASS SOMETHING HORRIBLE IS GONNA HAPPEN STOP DRAGGING IT OUT AND GIVING ME HOPE

Spoiler

Considering we've seen how his goes once already in favor ANYTHING could be possible not in favor. And we still have 12 eps to go!!!

Jujutsu Kaisen 12

Spoiler

Duuuuuuuuuude, DAT MATCH! HGN! I'm legit wondering when Itadori is going to realize about that pact.

Last ep of Akudama Drive was really well done. Kept me in my seat till the last second.

Spoiler

Of course no one but the kids survived. Naturally. I was kinda hoping they would go back after years and see what changed after the revolt. Now I wanna read the manga.