Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[09/18/2020] Weekly What're You Playing?

Presumably while waiting to find out if your pre-orders have been cancelled or not

Still popping support convos in :3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening here and there. Some characters have complete lists, most have at least half done by now, I think most of the mutant children are at least 3/4s done.

At least once a day I play a few rounds of  :switch:  Tetris 99 until I score a top 20 finish (usually only takes two or three rounds). I had two #3s the other day and another top 10 today. That game senses weakness and eats you alive. I'll also hit up :switch: ACA Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble at least once a day. We had a laser-tag and arcade thing that we used to go to here and there when we were kids, this is one of the arcade games I always hit up, nostalgic as fuck.

I was replaying the :switch: Capcom Beat'Em Up Bundle earlier in the week before Mario 3D All-Stars pre-orders were confirmed. I still love King of Dragons (shocking how close SNES got), Warriors of Fate is pretty good but maybe a little long. I think Captain Commando and Knights of the Round both have super-cheap boss fights. I haven't replayed Final Fight, Battle Circuit or Armored Warriors yet.

But then the 3D All-Stars pre-order estimated arrival date got bumped to Monday (and maybe longer, the California wildfire smoke is disrupting mail delivery) so I got my Mario on with :switch: :Snes: Mario All-Stars. Beat Mario 1 and Lost Levels (both without warp zones, beating Lost Levels and getting the Yakuza Kiwami and MGS2 Platinum Trophies are probably my personal top gamer accomplishments), currently in the last world of Mario 2 (I've never beaten this game before). I assume I'll play Mario 3 too but I did beat that one for the first time a few years ago.

:ps4: Spelunky 2, baby. I love it, it's way harder than the first. I can't get past the third area, and it's not even that easy to get to the second area just yet. There are these moles in the first area that can come out of anywhere, really.  You can see them digging through the ground, but a lot of the times you'll forget they're there, be working on something else, and all of a sudden one will come crashing down on your head. It's absolutely infuriating.

That and :pc: Overwatch. Got back on that itch for sure.

I haven't played a game in weeks :lurk: 

• Sad 1

I have officially played a game :cool: Banged out a few levels in :switch: Captain Toad this morning. Bought this for the kiddo well over a year ago, and neither of us has played it much since doing the first few levels together. I'm going to approach it as a fun pick-up-and-play game, do a couple levels here and there, kind of thing. No sweating about getting all the collectables, no re-doing levels, just having some fun with it. Between the wife and kids, I can't do anything for more than 15-20 minutes before somebody interrupts me anyway... I can't get obsessive over this stuff like I used to.

Also got a few rhythm games on my wishlist that I'm patiently waiting for price drops on :tumbleweed:

On 9/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, MT said:

:ps4: Spelunky 2, baby. I love it, it's way harder than the first. I can't get past the third area, and it's not even that easy to get to the second area just yet. There are these moles in the first area that can come out of anywhere, really.  You can see them digging through the ground, but a lot of the times you'll forget they're there, be working on something else, and all of a sudden one will come crashing down on your head. It's absolutely infuriating.

That and :pc: Overwatch. Got back on that itch for sure.

Spelunky 2 comes to stream in a week I'll probably pick it up. The first one was great. 

Been playing Avengers mostly. Campaign was legit fun, but shorter than I was hoping for. There's a ton of little stuff in the game that shows the effort they put in to get the characters right and all the little references and stuff haven been a lot of fun to find. Everything but Tony's combat quips anyway. XD  On the other side of things though the game has TONS of bugs and is just all around iffy with the systems they have in place. The grind is real, and it might be too much even for me. Which is honestly worrying, because I LIKE the grind in games like this usually. They just put out a massive bug fix patch (which in turn created a bunch of new bugs -_- ) and said they're going to do some QoL stuff next so we'll see how that goes. Not sure how long I'll stick with this one, but I feel like I'll have got my money's worth from it by the time I'm done so it's fine.

Also started up Vampire the Masquerade: Shadows of New York. It's a standalone expansion to the one that came out last year, 'Coteries of New York'. Basically just a visual novel sort of thing, but I enjoyed the story in the first one (despite the ending that came out of nowhere and felt like it cut the story short before it was supposed to) and this one has been even better thus far for what it is.

Played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 with @Mera'din last night.  It's not too bad.  I tried on hard mode apparently to start and that was major fucking cancer but the normal mode was fine lol.

Picked up :switch: Project DIVA Mega Mix today. It's on sale for a few more days. SO MANY good songs :shiny: And way more in the DLC packages (gonna save that money for now... but I'm gonna have to get it eventually :lurk:)