Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Summer Anime 2020

I got a tiny list for must watch anime this time. I think a lot of the good ones are gonna be in Fall.
https://anichart.net/Summer-2020

For me:
Re: Zero S2 (FINALLY! As long as there's no more covid delays......)
Fire Force S2
No Guns Life S2
Fruits Basket continuing.
Great Pretender continuing (it says it's all aired but they've been slow on loading the remaining eps from Spring season. )
Sherlock OVA

Interested in:
Gibiate
Deca Dance
Shika no Ou

God damn, that's a short chart.

So with the obvious "I doubt we're gonna see some of these anyways/more covid might come knocking" out of the way

SAO Alicization S2

Fire Force S2

The God of High School sounds like it'd be up my alley

Uzaki-chan

Kanojo Okarishimasu

Also Fruits Basket continuing

Seem like the obvious ones I'm either going to watch or check out.

It sounds like Digimon's continuing next week too

• Like 1

I will for sure continue watching Fruits Basket, and if Digimon comes back then the kiddo and I will be all over it. We will also keep watching Major 2nd if it continues through the summer. (There wasn't a new episode last weekend :uhoh:)

I will check out:

- The God of High School: is this another Crunchyroll production? I have been quite impressed with Tower of God so far

- Deca-Dence: I'm sure you all know my M.O. by now, anime original, hopefully just 12 or 13 episodes, yadda yadda yadda. Hopefully it's a decent sci-fi story

There is another anime original (Gibiate) set in the future where a virus has infected people throughout the world which will probably be terrible but I might have to take a look :lurk:

• Like 1

A couple of them sound interesting and I may check out when I'm bored. But I saw the trailer for Deca Dence and I know I wanna check that out.

• Like 1

This is going to be absolute trash but if I get bored enough this weekend then I might watch a few minutes :rotfl:

Screenshot_20200703-205432.png

Felt like Fire Force's Season 2 first ep was a throwaway just to get people back in the swing of things, but it was also still enjoyable as fuck :nod:

• Like 1

Definitely gonna keep up with The Misfit of Demon King Academy :lol:

Should I actually bother with Fire Force?  I keep getting mixed signals from things I read.

That Deca-Dence trailer was enough to hook me.  The art has a very mid-90s anime film vibe to it.

A friend of mine was recommending God of High School just a couple days ago.  Not too interested in Tower of God, but this one sounds way more up my alley.

OH, and Digimon returning is fucking awesome.  Here's to hoping they can stick it out consistently this time.

Season 1 of Fire Force was pretty cool. The pyrokinesis and how it's applied can be awesome as fuck (especially one specific battle later in the season), the animation also gets pretty good, the style goes out of its way to present as different, it can be deliciously lewd, the characters are likeable. I would say the weak point is that the plot is pretty generic shonen, so if the style doesn't grab you, there's no point in going on with it.

• Like 2

I haven't checked out anything new yet, maybe I'll watching something tonight. Really happy that Digimon is back, anyway. It's been great so far.

13 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Felt like Fire Force's Season 2 first ep was a throwaway just to get people back in the swing of things, but it was also still enjoyable as fuck :nod:

Thank you I felt the same way about that first ep. Felt more  like a filler episode they should have had for last season.

I'm sure that Hxeros can't beat the Holy Crap that was the Inter-species Brothel Reviews one . :rotfl: (Not the actual title but it was about Adventurers going to all sorts of broth e ls and rating/reviewing them. )

The Japanese language Galar Farfetch'd (fighting type) in Pokemon 2019 sounds like it's saying "Come On" in English every time it speaks :lol:

• ROFL 1

Okay watched God of Highschool, might actually be one I stick with.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, little birdy said:

This is going to be absolute trash but if I get bored enough this weekend then I might watch a few minutes :rotfl:

Screenshot_20200703-205432.png

Yep, it was trash :rotfl:

• Like 2

God of High School had me at using a Stone Cold Stunner in a kung-fu battle royale :rotfl:

• Like 2

I thought the bike chase was great, I'll watch more. Should be fun. I just hope the story isn't too dumb and/or convoluted. Keep it simple plz.

Deca-Dence premieres today. Just checked and episode #1 it's already there on Funimation. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight. 

I watched it earlier and it definitely has some potential. And for once the animal side kick isn't overly cute. :koffing:

*inhal
es* RE:ZERO S2 IS FINALLY HERE!!! :shiny::shiny::shiny: I REPEAT IT'S FUCKING FINALLY HERE!!!!!!  :mosh: THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!! I'll be putting my thoughts on a separate thread for that anime because that one deserves it's own thread.

Deca-Dence is off to a strong start :nod:

Deca-Dence has potential. I like how the monsters die and the overall set-up.

It reminds of Children of the Whale in a way, but it's sorta nothing like it so it might just be similar characters or something.

• Like 1

It reminded me of Attack on Titan in quite a few ways. In any case, I thought the first episode was great.

Okay, I've sat through HxEros....... :lurk:

Definitely not as bad as I was expecting (I was actually expecting the battles to be way more lewd but it was like Old School Power Rangers/Sailor Moon like). But still pretty much WTF in the rest as well. :rotfl:

Fire Force lost me HARD on ep........ oh shit, that was the last ep of season 1 that I was just like UGH I'M TIRED OF THIS and gave up on a minute in. Shit. OK, nvm I guess I'll finish that and give S2 a go. I like the style and the characters but I got so fucking tired of that big fight that I just dropped the series like a hot potato and walked away.

• Like 1

Fire Force S2E2

Dat delusional Arthur :shiny: (getting abandoned by his parents :( )

I feel like I should love Rent-a-Girlfriend but something about it is turning me off of it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vic Boss said:

I feel like I should love Rent-a-Girlfriend but something about it is turning me off of it.

Huh. I saw that pop up on Crunchyroll this morning and figured I'd give it a go tonight. Sounds like it could be funny. Still gonna watch it anyway, but I will keep your not-so-good first impression in mind!

I still haven't watched the full episode, just about half of it. Something about it makes me impatient

Misfit of Demon King Academy 02

- The fucking baby talking :rofl:
- Oh shit, did history twist everything so he got all the answers to his own questions wrong? :lol:
- So they made MMO style parties fit into their magic system
- "Yeah, I caught the flaw in it just before I went." I really love that bullshit, like everything is so humdrum and stupid to him because it all comes from him in the first place but everyone treats it like gospel fact
- "You need to strain your eyes more and peer into the abyss." Cool as fuck
- The Guardian class conjures CASTLES
- Fucking lifted the castle
- Magic cannonball
- I love that he's the all-powerful Demon Lord but he just wants his mom's mushroom stew

OK Fire Force S2 ep 1 won me back because I love the sillier stuff. It also helped that I finally watched the last ep of season 1 but like I said... I was just burnt out after the whole never ending fight (HAHHAHERFDVGAERFGVA GET IT BURNT OUT OH MY GOD AERFBHAEFTGJNESZGDYJSXRFTHUMJND GHNBAGVWSFDC SZDfuckyou)

Fire Force S2 E2

Spoiler

lol what the fuck time for batshit shonen escalation complete with masochism and black sclera 

also what the fuck @ arthur's parents 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Fire Force S2E2

Hide contents

Dat delusional Arthur :shiny: (getting abandoned by his parents :( )

Seriously right!? Finally some more facts! Although:

Spoiler

Soooooooomething tells me there's a reason his parents just upped and poofed out of his life. Probably pressure to keep his life safe if they were secretly under threat.

Nelle after ep 2 I'm pretending that first ep was non existent because of how BS it was. Literally could have been a filler episode for how that was handled.

it was absolutely filler but it was QUALITY filter and I'm on board with that. Don't hate on TWIN COBRAS

UNLIKE THE UNFORGIVABLE FILLER RECAP EP ONE OF MY HERO ACADEMIA *hour long fart noise*

• Like 1

Seriously all Recap episodes can jump into the dumpster fire :hammerputer:

On 7/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, Vic Boss said:

God of High School had me at using a Stone Cold Stunner in a kung-fu battle royale :rotfl:

This 100%

I didn't like episode 2 as much as the first one :-/

I mean it makes sense. Now that we got through the slim pickings of fighters from the Battle Royal it's time to get to know the characters. I did enjoy that fight though.

Watched first ep of Gibiate........I hope to GOD that this isn't one of those shows that accidentally predicts things in real life.....because it takes place 10 yrs from now and there's a FUCKING pandemic going on then too. NOT COOL. :crying:

Deca Dance kinda got a little Gaia Online/Summer Wars there for that 2nd ep. makes me wonder what it's purpose is kinda for in how their world runs. And giggled a bit at the Hugnin and Munin reference there.

I watched the first few minutes of Gibiate and definitely got the "TOO SOON GUYS TOO SOON" vibes from it :lol:

I guess I won't be continuing with Deca-Dence. I don't really like the setting plot-twist and I don't necessarily have a problem with cutesy art styles (Mahoujin Guru Guru is one of my favourite animes after all) but I don't really like how it mixes with the more serious one. And really how the two worlds seem to mix together.

I'm about halfway through Boruto now, I try to watch 7 episodes per week (one per day in theory but I usually do a few at a time). Really digging it now, it's not Naruto and doesn't really possess a lot of Naruto's strengths beyond the cool attacks and the overall world set-up, but after the uneven presentation of the first half (boring arc-good arc-boring arc-good arc), it's starting to hit a good stride where even the anime-canon arc I'm watching right now has some good plot twists and interesting character development in it. It's a little weird because it's adapting the movie, some light novels, and the manga but the anime-only "filler" is actually canon (how I saw it explained was that the manga mostly focuses just on Boruto and a little Sarada, so the primary aim of anime-only arcs is to develop the supporting cast and give them more shine-time, with mixed results). Hope it keeps up the pace.

1 hour ago, Vic Boss said:

I guess I won't be continuing with Deca-Dence. I don't really like the setting plot-twist and I don't necessarily have a problem with cutesy art styles (Mahoujin Guru Guru is one of my favourite animes after all) but I don't really like how it mixes with the more serious one. And really how the two worlds seem to mix together.

This is why I have the Five episode rule. Some of the time the ones that I find good need that minimum for me to figure out if it needs that slight build up or not. I have a feeling it may be one of those animes for it.

Episode 2 of Deca-Dence was a pretty big let down :| I will watch a few more episodes because I haven't got anything else going on Wednesday nights... but I didn't like this twist after what the first episode was like. Maybe it will get better after things start to make more sense ... or maybe I'll still just be confused and disappointed :lolgrin: :sigh:

What in the absolute fuck @ Gibiate this whole premise is nuts why do they just instantly accept oh yeah, cool yeah you time traveled 

the opening is a banger tho

• ROFL 1

update: I actually kinda like the deca-dence TWEEST so i'm gonna keep watching it for a few more eps at least

• Like 1

Spoiler

I think with Deca Dence ep 2 it was how they were jumping back and forth between past and present stuff. Along with the fact that the staff of the ship (or at least the warriors from the looks of it) have this sub/online forum that they go to for life/battery recharge for some reason. Basically a vague world building in a ways that they will or might explain a little later. What we do know for the most part:
*He did a big no no by telling the rookie how to boost his fighting skills and it fucked it up big time not only for the rookie (bc of course ) but for the rest of the team since they were all caught on tape simply talking about it.
*Team gets "demoted" for not taking the offer, he accepts his fate and does the (what I'm dubbing) Data mining for Bugs and irregularities. Slowly killing himself essentially by choosing to not recharge and let it run out.  Until he gets found out (incorrectly but still) by the girl who DUN DUNNNNNN is supposed to be dead. So for some reason that gives him the new purpose to recharge his battery/teach her to be a warrior/and mystery solve . Yay?

Fire Force S2 E3

Fucking love those Fire Ignition powers :shiny:

Also Charon exploding that dude's shoulder and torso off.

• Like 1

For real, NOW it's starting to pick up again!

Fire Force s2e3

Spoiler

that seemed excessively rude. He's just a human. :rotfl: 

i'm into it again tho, let's gooooo

• ROFL 1

Fruits Basket: Momiji why are you too precious for this world!? :crying:

God of Highschool 3:

Spoiler

* What tf is under those hoods because your heads should not ALL be that pointy underneath. :rotfl:
* Those were good fights for both Mira and Danwei.
* I was legit gonna be wtf kind of fight was that if they just let it drop after Jin pushes the commissioner. Still kinda wtf because it still wasn't a full out match and WTF is with the spirit guide there?! :eek3:

god I have been just on the edge of my seat waiting for this last Furuba ep and it delivered T_T i love this series

• Shiny 1

God of High School 3

It's a little weird that we're going Persona or something like that now. I like how the rest of the series is but I'm not sure if I like that element of it

god of high school

Spoiler

this shit's dumb. The fights are animated so nicely but I just cannot care about any of this.

Spoiler

I knew that something was gonna be big on the whole great and superhuman abilities from the first ep and with Jin. Martial arts tournament with all styles allowed I figured it was going to be something similar to Dragon Balls. But hit the nose with that Persona reference. It's going into something weird and I don't know if it meshes. I legit thought that Commisioner was gonna do some playing card action with how he kept playing with that deck of cards but guess that was just him fidgeting?