Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Outriders (2020)

Seems like Destiny crossed with The Division. This is from the people that made Bulletstorm back in the 360/PS3 era.

And today there was a good 20 minute long video showcasing some gameplay, and going into one of the classes. (skip to about 22:10 in this video)

I've been looking at this game a lot more recently. What I've seen of it seems almost more like a Mass Effect sort of play style. It's looking pretty interesting so far. They have video breakdowns of each classes skills and abilities and have been really open about what all the game entails and how it works. Apparently the end game isn't just "play everything you just played again, only harder". Beating the campaign unlocks new areas and new missions and what not.

At this point I'm pretty interested in getting it, but was holding out to see if anyone else was planning to play. If anyone is interested, they pushed back the release to April 1st, but they're doing a free (as in, no "pre-order beta" bullshit) demo that includes the first few "hours" of the game both single player and co-op on Feb. 25th if anyone wants to try it. Progress made in it will carry over to the main game on release as well.

0oL1BWT.jpg

I usually go for games like this on PS4/5, but can do whatever everyone wants for the demo at least. I work on the 25th itself, but half that Fri/Sat/Sun off so should have plenty of time to play during that weekend.

Here's a link to their youtube channel. They have videos on pretty much every aspect of the game including class/skill breakdowns if anyone wanted specific information on anything:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyHurXEuoMCfah2bmyRRXZw

I'd vastly prefer to do it on PC if we can (I assume they'll have controller support for you).  I'll definitely try it out for a free demo.  Why not? :)

Video on the PC version. I am more and more impressed with this company the more I see. It feels like they're going out of their way to make sure everything about it is out in the open and any info you want is readily available.

On that note, learned via this video that the game supports FULL crossplay between all platforms (Steam, Epic, Stadia and both last gen and new gen Playstation and Xbox consoles) so it doesn't matter what everyone gets it on if we decide to play it. 

Hoping to see a video with more specifics about how that works soon.

• Like 1

Not really sure i'm enjoying what I played so far. I finished what I think is the prologue, and met up with the Grand Marshall. I could never really get into cover shooters, so I don't think this is for me. The shooting feels sluggish compared to something like Destiny, which gets it so right, and the camera movements during the 30fps cutscenes were making me sick. 

I'll give it another shot when I can play it with other people, but as of right now, I think i'm going to pass.

Yeah I'm in the same place.  I don't like the shooting (it is unsatisfying like most 3rd person/cover shooters) and even the powers are...iffy.  The story actually seems interesting but I'm definitely not feeling this the same way I do for Borderlands or Destiny 2.  Might play through story when it's 20 bucks later.  Don't see myself getting into online but I WILL play with Kyle during the beta (probably). :nod:

7 hours ago, webhead said:

I don't like the shooting (it is unsatisfying like most 3rd person/cover shooters) and even the powers are...iffy.  

After playing for like 10 min. and seeing maybe 2 skills on one class with no upgrades. Tell me more. :koffing: 

In all seriousness though, it has some hiccups but I don't get your feelings on the combat even at it's most basic form. This literally feels like playing a Mass Effect game, except I have less reason to just hide behind something the entire time there's combat since the game actively supports being aggressive as fuck.

I felt a slight sluggishness in the aiming that took a little getting used to. Coming from something like Destiny that gets the shooting so perfect, it's a bit of a change.

Did you do mouse and keyboard or controller? I tried on both and I definitely feel like I need to adjust sensitivity on the controller at least. 

Controller, I played on my laptop this morning. It's not really the speed of aiming, it felt like I'd push a direction on the right stick and it'd take a few more frames before the aim would actually move. I'll have to try keyboard/mouse tomorrow.

Bug causes players' inventory to be wiped

People Can Fly explained that “restored items may not be have the exact same stats as the lost items,” which means that the particular rolls players managed to earn may not return.

Wow. I hear this has been fixed so it shouldn't happen again, but for people that already lost their stuff, they may be fucked.

I've seen a few people complaining about it. As far as I know, the cause is fixed, but some people still haven't had their stuff restored. They're supposed to be doing that within the next couple days. Sucks the stuff will get rerolled though, especially if that applies to the mods and not just the stats. 

As relatively stable as the demo was, I'm surprised they had this many issues. Though it seems like they maybe weren't expecting the amount of players they ended up getting and Square-Enix kind of fucked them on the server side of things as such. I ended up getting it on PS5 as it makes it easier for my wife and I to be able to play together until we can get a bigger desk and I haven't had any troubles with the game outside of abnormally long time to log in to the game. Smooth sailing after that every time I've played. Seems like the vast majority of the problems came from multiplayer related things so that's probably why I haven't really run into any of the bigger issues yet.

Stable was NOT my experience with the demo. Fucker crashed constantly.