Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deimos

Us

This comes out tomorrow. I was going to see it tonight but being stuck at home in a cast isn't conducive to moving around in the outside world. 

Who is going to see this? It's currently at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I really want to, as I loved Get Out, but i'm also a wuss. I think i'm just going to suck it up and watch it anyway, because it does look amazing.

• Like 1

Betty and I are going to see it sometime in the next week probs. It’ll be the first straight-up horror film I’ve seen in the theatres. Never been a fan of the genre but this one looks tasty.

3 minutes ago, Xylus said:

Never been a fan of the genre

Why is that? I'm curious to hear. I wonder if I could recommend stuff you've never heard of that you'd really dig.

8 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Why is that? I'm curious to hear. I wonder if I could recommend stuff you've never heard of that you'd really dig.

Not really sure.  I don't really get any satisfaction or thrill from being scared, and I scare pretty easily.  As a child, horror movies would scare the shit out of me and cause trauma.  

I've seen some horror movies over the years that I liked, primarily Stephen King adaptations.  Pan's Labyrinth is amazing.  I liked Identity.  And there are some I really want to see still, like A Quiet Place, the new It, Attack the Block, Let the Right One In.  I've heard It Follows is great but I'm not sure I can get through that one, lol.  I watched a scene on Youtube where a girl is sitting in class and sees a figure out the window in the distance slowly approaching.  Jesus Christ.  2spooky4me

Hmm. 

The Neon Demon might be doable for you!

Neon Demon is from the guy who made Drive, right?   I loved Drive but I wasn't into the gory parts.  I'm not a big fan of over-the-top gore or any kind of body mutilation.  How does Neon Demon rate in that regard?

I don't recall it being over the top gore BUT considering this is about models, I think I remember some body mutilation.

We're going to see this on Saturday! I am super pumped. Didn't get to see Get Out in theaters for varying reasons so I told Lee there was no way in hell I was missing out on this on the big screen. 

Saw it last night and really liked it.  

Pros:

-Great performances, particularly from Lupita Nyong'o and Elisabeth Moss.  All of the doppelganger performances were great.

-"I Got 5 On It" is featured throughout the movie, I'm happy to report.  

-Creepy creepy but not overtly scary.  If you're easily scared, you can get through this one no problem.  There is one extended scene in the middle of the movie that I thought was scary--I'll spoiler that below.  

-Some truly great shots from the director, Jordan Peele.  He's mastered the close-up facial when a character is expressing a ton of emotion.  I can think of a half-dozen images from the movie that I won't soon forget.

My favorite scene in the movie is at their friends' summer house when their doppelgangers appear out of nowhere.  Scared me good.  And a little later when Elisabeth Moss is screaming silently and her face morphs into laughter was super freaky.

Cons:

-I thought the comic relief was a little excessive.  There were too many instances where misplaced humor undercut the tension.  There's a lot more humor in the movie than was advertised in the trailer, which is fine as long as it's not battling against the scary tone of a scene.  

-Too much is revealed about the movie in the trailer.  

I totally called the twist, as she was still in the hall of mirrors. I feel so smart

:cool: 

Overall I really liked it, despite people in the theater laughing at shit that wasn't really funny. Get Out was better, but this was quite good. Like Get Out, there's a lot of little hints and references I didn't pick up on the first time, which are blowing my mind.

• Like 1

I'll probably end up buying this when it comes out.  I'm definitely interested.

OR SUPPORT THE MOVIE IN THEATRES

Saw this at the cinema yesterday. I was expecting it to be in the vein of Get Out; horror via social commentary about race, and a slow creeping burn.

There is social commentary abt class and standpoint, but it's primarily a balls-out horror film about doppelgangers who want to kill you. There is a message, but It is way fuckin louder and more forthrightly about entertainingly scaring you than the previous. It is very good & cinematic & really manages to disquiet, disturb, shock and surprise. "Get Out" is kind of like Silence of the Lambs; "Us" is more Carpenter or Romero. 

I fuckin loved it.

• Like 1

Oh shit I never actually posted

I fucked loved it. I really want to see it again! It had some "problems" but not in a way that is really a detriment. There's always that ultra fine line in horror where something tips slightly into too much info on your lore or not enough, but a lot of that for me from this comes from expectations via Get Out.

I thought the treatment of the lore of the movie was done well... He managed to spin enough to leave you not frustrated and to spin a certain invisible grossness to the whole arrangement of your own imagining, while not explaining everything, which means that you leave the cinema speculating. The "line" is to sort of leave the audience with the sense of an internally consistent otherworld that you don't know the full truth of, and he managed that, and that's boss.

It sticks with you. 

In this case it was less teetering on the side of not enough and more on the too much for me. Like I said, it's an ultra thin line and not really a real problem.