Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Alternate Performances

Everyone knows the album versions of songs, but what are some different takes on your favorite stuff? For example, an acoustic version, a remix, or maybe even a B side?

Another perfect example I can think of (even though they made an album out of it anyway) is the unplugged session from Nirvana.

Basically any live version of a Nine Inch Nails song.  Especially stuff from Pretty Hate Machine.  The live album And All That Could Have Been is essential listening.

Oh man, I love alternate takes/covers! I think my favourite (fairly) recent ones are Status Quo's "Aquostic" album, where they rerecorded a lot of their hits completely acoustically. The best ones are some of the faster songs like Caroline and Down Down, where they substitute the fast rhythm electric guitars with almost zydeco sounds. Really fresh fun take!

Original for comparison:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Lucy said:

"Aquostic"

At first, I thought this meant they found a way to record it underwater. Now i'm just sad. :P

• ROFL 1

6 hours ago, MT said:

Another perfect example I can think of (even though they made an album out of it anyway) is the unplugged session from Nirvana.

This and the Alice in Chains Unplugged album.  I don't really like acoustic versions of things very often but those were both fucking awesome.

This probably doesn't fit under my own rules, but it's my topic so fuck it.

Nine Inch Nails - Right Where it Belongs v2

This version sounds bleaker: like it is all a dream, and you won't wake, and there's nothing you can do about it vs v1's transition

I love the live outro to this song waaaaay more than the album version.

• Like 1

I love this so much

• Like 1