Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

Dr Stone

It's a little bit Civilization, a little bit Lord of the Flies, and a lot of bit of shonen anime

Episode 3

I'm not sure why Tsukasa didn't just kill them when whatsisface flopped over. Could've won immediately, instead he walked away

Also Tsukasa smashing the parents but leaving the children alive was brutalllll

Dat Buddha

They're gonna do Kirk and the Gorn to take out Tsukasa

I don't think they did

Spoiler

The thing that's bugging me is that they basically kind of made Tsukasa the Super Saiyan here. He's Saitama/Goku strong, super fucking intelligent. "Oh I instantly have this figured out "insert mandark laugh". I like the fact that this is a race to one side defeating the other, but the way they've built the characters takes away some of the element of really getting into this show and fully enjoying it. Like the only one here with any real flaws right now is Tsuji being a semi-dumbass comedy relief. (Dat face on Senku tho when Tsuji came running with the bad miracle fluid) But it's like they smashed Dragonball and Tenjou Tenge together.

2 hours ago, Tassifox said:

I don't think they did

Reveal hidden contents

The thing that's bugging me is that they basically kind of made Tsukasa the Super Saiyan here. He's Saitama/Goku strong, super fucking intelligent. "Oh I instantly have this figured out "insert mandark laugh". I like the fact that this is a race to one side defeating the other, but the way they've built the characters takes away some of the element of really getting into this show and fully enjoying it. Like the only one here with any real flaws right now is Tsuji being a semi-dumbass comedy relief. (Dat face on Senku tho when Tsuji came running with the bad miracle fluid) But it's like they smashed Dragonball and Tenjou Tenge together.

Spoiler

My girlfriend was actually saying the same thing, particularly about Tsukasa.  I think it makes sense he would be able to surmise which direction they went, but how he put together they were making gunpowder is beyond me.

Good thing is once the new characters come in, there's a much better all around cast 

Spoiler

This, I would be fine if he did figure it out about the gunpowder, but it's the speed of how he's figuring stuff out and seeming to be literally one step behind  or basically as if he was right next to Senku and just doing exactly what Senku "predicts" of what they need to do like some 2 bit act. It's making it hard to be even semi-believable.

Bets is new character will be the woman Tsukasa found on the beach.

Taiju is pretty much carrying this show for me. Dude's the man.

Still don't like Senku (plz stop the "ten billion" schtick). And while part of me admires Tsukasa for the not wanting to bring back the adults thing, it just doesn't make sense how overpowered he is. Or that he was so easily able to figure out what Senku's plan was. Like obviously this is an anime and it doesn't have to be realistic or believable, but this guy is pushing it pretty far...

• Like 1

plz don't let Tsukasa be the villain here. (I am on ep 2 btw)

You're gonna be real disappointed. Although I would consider Tsukasa more of an Anti-Hero than a Villain at this point. Too early to be calling out that yet I think.

20 hours ago, little birdy said:

Taiju is pretty much carrying this show for me. Dude's the man.

Still don't like Senku (plz stop the "ten billion" schtick). And while part of me admires Tsukasa for the not wanting to bring back the adults thing, it just doesn't make sense how overpowered he is. Or that he was so easily able to figure out what Senku's plan was. Like obviously this is an anime and it doesn't have to be realistic or believable, but this guy is pushing it pretty far...

Spoiler

I find this hilarious, because a lot of manga fans hated Taiju.  Or at least thought he was a lame choice for main character (which I don't think he was ever supposed to be).  I personally love him as a side character, but beating a dead horse here, I don't think he really even compares to the rest of the cast.

It's a shame you don't like Senku, and while he does get characterized better a little later, I don't think that'll necessarily change for you any time soon.  Also, sorry, but 10 billion percent is here to stay.

My thoughts on the new episode: There were some great translations from manga panel to animation here.  The bit where Tsukasa caught the arrow and kicked Taiju in particular stood out to me.

From the manga: 8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 2

Ep 4

- I really liked them being forced to make the choice between smoke signalling with other live people in the Stone World and quickly developing a projectile weapon to kill Tsukasa with

- I lol that they use so much real science that they have to leave disclaimers in the show to please don't go into the wild and make gunpowder yourself

- Fucking Tsukasa cutting Yuzuriha-chwannnn's hair as a threat

- Cliffhangering mother FUCKERS

Spoiler

Dude you know Senku ain't gonna die.

I like that they're starting to show other survivors that they haven't revived yet

• Like 1

I'm OK if he dies :rotfl:

If they actually go through with it I think it would make this whole revival of humanity way more interesting. But I doubt it's gonna happen only 4 eps into the series :P

- I really liked the alternate history where Tsukasa probably would've been one of the gang

- Huh, how did Senku fake his way out of this one?

- I like how much Taiju worries Tsukasa. Like Tsukasa seems to know that he can beat him, but he maybe wouldn't escape a straight out fight between them without suffering grievous damage

- Oh shiiiii the stone is gonna strike stone and cause a gundpower explosion to blow up Tsukasa

- The fucking lips when doing CPR :rotfl:

- Senku deliberately drew Tsukasa to his neck with a completely new habit that he never had before, jesus christ

- So Senku was training his brain to stay concentrated, he got up to over 9 days?

Spoiler

New he wasn't dead. Or at least figured a way where he wouldn't stay dead.

Okay Taiju is starting to become less annoying.......starting to.

Was there really any point to the monkeys other than comic relief?

Watched the first ep of this, then went and binged the manga. I've kept up with the anime so far, but I'm bored with the pacing. The manga has some pacing issues too, but once they find the footing of the story I think the anime will pick up

• Like 2

Dr Stone 7

D'awww Senku has a science buddy

I appreciated Senku's realization that everybody is super powerful for no good reason in this world. I don't expect anime to be realistic necessarily, but it has bothered me that Taiju, Tsukasa, and new girl seem to have superhuman strength without an explanation. They're all just normal humans as far as we know, right?

They did actually explain/mention that Tsukasa was a freak athlete for a high-schooler in the old world.

Also Senku's a nerdy weakling so I'm not so sure that's it everyone else has freakish strength, but he just doesn't have any and makes up for it with ingenuity while everyone else has to be in a degree of excellent shape to survive in the Stone World.

I feel like there's a difference between being a freak athlete, like a LeBron or something, and whatever the heck Tsukasa is. Also new girl carrying that jug with 50 L of water (did I read that correctly?), Taiju picking up really big and heavy rocks, etc. all feel like too much of a reach. I'm open to any explanation the show might offer though... did petrofication turn people into mutants? :lol:

I'm not sure there's a huge difference between whatever Tsukasa is and say, a high-school aged Brock Lesnar though. I guess it would depend on what sport Tsukasa was supposed to be great at.

Also 1 litre of water = 2.2 lbs, so 110 lbs? They did explain that she did that multiple times per day ever since her sister got sick. That's basically that girl carrying the equivalent of another small woman down a mountain (which is at least easier than up one) a few times per day. I guess that's strong but I'm not sure I'd call that freakish strength unless she's like 12 or something.

Also ye, they did mention undoing the petrification fills in cracks (and implied that the petrification may not have been an attack, but some kind of health-experiment or cure gone wrong) so mebs it did affect them physically somehow

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much equivalent to 50 kg / 110 lbs water. That big ass clay jug that can hold 50 L of water probably also weighs quite a bit too though. She's not carrying just 110 lbs of water.

Now we get all new plethora of characters. Chrome is 2nd most annoying to me here....almost. Not as bad as Taiju though.

There is no real explanation for the strength other than "it's shounen manga and it makes funny moments/easy outs for some logistics"

Chrome will grow on you, I promise!

2 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Now we get all new plethora of characters. Chrome is 2nd most annoying to me here....almost. Not as bad as Taiju though.

But....Chrome is my boi :(

15 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Not as bad as Taiju though.

Taiju is the best character in this whole show

As for the point of people being ridiculously strong. At least with the 1st Gen Born of survivors I would think that thousands of years would somehow evolve that strength into their DNA from the original stone survivors. As for Taiju and the rest having that strength I'm with Nelle on "it's a shounen they do what they want".

Ha, they referenced the gorilla-strength bit in Ep 8

There's a few strong people in the village, she's the only strong girl.

I wasn't a big fan of abandoning the other crew to mess around with this village of new characters but I'm digging how Senku's slowly winning them over with modern food and other things :nod:

• Like 2

I can't tell if I'm watching this show because I genuinely enjoy it or if I'm just hate-watching :rotfl:

I like some of the developments at the village but I would also like to get Taiju and Yuzuriha back into the story. 

This is funny to read from Mox and bomb just because it's such a stark contrast to the manga-readers' dominating opinion.  A lot of people didn't like Taiju and Yuzuriha as much and find the series doesn't start getting it's footing until Senku goes to the village.  I was always sort of in between.  I actually love Taiju and dig Yuzuriha, but I still think the story and characters get better once he gets to the village.

Still haven't caught up from episode 5, but I'm looking forward to binging the first chunk of this arc hopefully tomorrow.

EDIT: Can I also say it's nice to be able to read all your comments without worry of spoilers even though I'm behind on the anime?  Because it's nice.

• Like 1

I'm totes curious about how and who is giving first Gen peeps their knowledge and abilities like Senku's curious about. It's one of the few things that's legit still got me in this series.

I think the last episode alluded to the sick older sister having imparted some knowledge on people..?

Sure alluded, but then who taught her if that's the case? Because otherwise hawt damn she looks good for over 3k years! :koffing:

Some good shit coming up as far as plot reveals.  Finally caught up to the anime.  Don't have much to say other than another bang up job of being faithful to the manga.  The scenes and characters feel fully realized in comparison to the manga counterparts.

Still probably a couple episodes away from one of my other favorite characters from the village becoming relevant, but they showed a glimpse of him!

Also, Suika steals my heart.

• Like 1

Ep 9:

Spoiler

And Senku said "LET THERE BE ELECTRICITY! "

Okay and Asagiri is pretty funny

• Like 1

Spoiler

Oh, shit, Gen got introduced in this episode?  That's awesome.  Also, if based on your comments this episode is what I think it is, I forgot that came quite this early.

• Like 1

Dr Stone 11

TFW the power of science gives melon-head their sight back ;_;

Presumably Silver or Mercury is the most dangerous element they're going for?

• Like 1

The villagers are growing on me. The show in general is growing on me. The moment with Suika with the glasses was great. 

I didn't even think of mercury, but that's a good guess. Pretty sure they can use it for gold/silver extraction. 

• Like 1

Turns out it was sulfuric acid :facepalm:

• Like 1

Dude they need to make a acid bomb for Tsukasa and boom. Opposing team is gone right? No? Wishful thinking then on my part.

Ep 13

Kinro is totally getting DQ'ed because an illegal object was thrown in.

Kohaku getting counted out.

Chrome gonna get OHKO'd

Senku's gonna have to science his way to victory, just so we can figure out whytf his name is actually known to the other girl

Yeah I figure Kinro's gotta lose now 'cause that's how anime works

Spoiler

3rd'd on Kinro being booted for interference unless Chrome and Senku find a way to justify it enough to Jasper and get it okay'd. But highly doubt it.

Something tells me that this tournament is gonna get interrupted by Clan Tsukasa before it finishes tho

Ep 14

Spoiler

Well Magma's dirty tricks are predictable but the rest of that went in a direction I wasn't expecting.
Still betting team Tsukasa shows up near the end of the tournament since our Trickster has returned.

Ep 15

Spoiler

Chrome got so beat up that Senku wins by default
Whooooo Rin is cured!
Wait the Village has Senku's last name? His father founded the village didn't he?

• Like 1

I haven't yet watched the new episode, but based on what happens, I'm so excited about the exposition the show is about to dive into.

The tournament arc is one of my favorite parts of the manga.  Not because it's a tournament and those are always hype for Shonen, but rather it's the first time we get more of a taste of what the story can do when it's a bit more action-oriented.  And what's wonderful about it for me is how well it blends the scientific elements with true combat.  It's not the last time we get it, but it is the first time it becomes a primary focus.

• Like 2

Ep 15

Oh man, that slow build up, whatsername running the cure water to her again, and Senku slowly revealing that Sulfa Drugs destroy Pneumonia :shiny::shiny::shiny:

• Like 1