Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Death Stranding (2019)

The game releases November 8th, 2019.

At least we get some understanding of what the fuck is even going on now (kind of). :rotfl: 

Looks interesting. Want to see more  game play before I grow too attached though. Could easily end up being the kind of thing I don't care for but time will tell.

• Like 1

• Like 1

This game makes no fucking sense, but I am intrigued.

There's also this 49 minute-ish video from TGS, but unfortunately it's all in Japanese for the moment. You can turn on auto-translated subtitles, but I can't imagine they're any good.

It's nice to start finally seeing some coherent (relatively speaking) plot for this game. So basically, it's a reimagined, video game version of 'The Postman' XD

Anyone picked it up yet? I got it, but haven't tried it out. Need to finish Outer Worlds first.

• ROFL 1

I played an hour or so (basically the first chapter) and was confused as to where to go within 2 minutes of actually controlling Norman. So, good times. :P

It's honestly the weirdest game. Really intense when trying to avoid death and the atmosphere is beautiful. Probably not for anyone expecting a high-intensity action game. This seems like Kojima trying to reinvent the exploration genre.

Played for an hour or so now that I've finished a run through of Outer Worlds. Definitely weird and interesting. Bulk of the game seems like an 'extreme' walking simulator for lack of a better description, but the stealth bits can get really intense and the story is pure, unfiltered Kojima so it's definitely holding my attention. Definitely not for everyone though.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Mera'din said:

Played for an hour or so now that I've finished a run through of Outer Worlds. Definitely weird and interesting. Bulk of the game seems like an 'extreme' walking simulator for lack of a better description, but the stealth bits can get really intense and the story is pure, unfiltered Kojima so it's definitely holding my attention. Definitely not for everyone though.

This
I played for a few hours on my friend's console and have watched Lets Plays and I love the story. It's definitely unique and I might not recommend it the everyone, least of all the less patient sort of people that expect a high-intensity action or combat game, but for those who like something different and a great story, I would :)

Still really enjoying a few chapters in. I can't even say why. It literally boils down to a fetch quest simulator most of the time but it's fucking facinating. Story and world are really interesting.

Also, this:

9c4fb37.thumb.jpg.b7506261857a3ef87ff0a8f676b2931d.jpg

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1

It wasn't what I was expecting, in a bad way tbh.

The characters, except Sam, are obnoxious as fuck. The tutorial is dumb. They have you blindly do something, THEN explain it. But in a way your character would have already known like, years ago...

Also the UI is so ott with blinking and strobing and... fuck, I was expecting pure atmosphere and minimalistic handhold.

Instead it's like fucking MURRICA!! MURRICA!!!! MURRICA!!!!!! the only thing I can relate to is when Sam tells everyone else to gtfo already.

Once you get out of the cutscenes and story....the world is amazing. Gameplay is amazing. Controls are amazing. Atmosphere is amazing. The soft-online element is amazing. It can really go places. Given a year and support, the online aspect could see a real community grow from nothing.

But fuck, what I came for (the surreal ass story they seemed to set up) is hot flaming garbage.

Die-Hardman? What fucking name is that. Get that mask off you look like a twat. Why didn't Sam know his fucking MUM was the fucking President? Why is that fat oaf Guillemero Del Toro telling me how to shower and explaining a fucking barcode scanner I clearly use daily in my job? Why did he say BB and DOOMS are a bad combo then two seconds later get fully onboard with it? Fuck this script. Fuck this story. Fuck I'm mad.

Games good. Story's awful. Don't even @ me.

Pretty much everything you're bitching about has an explanation. Not always a good one, but there is always one, mostly because Kojima felt the need to give a story explanation for basically every single game mechanic that exists in the game. Even the tutorial stuff to a small extent. Sam has been doing freelance work for years, and Deadman didn't know him from a hole in the ground outside of supposed reputation (and the fact that they're clearly using technology that didn't exist when he was with Bridges I 10 years prior). Had to get that job orientation in. One of workers at one of the places you stop treats you like your some brand new jackass too at one point and later apologizes after he learns who you are.  

Also, most of his games have things (characters or otherwise) with stupid ass names. Usually in an attempt to create some kind of deeper meaning that just comes off as awkward 90% of the time. How is any of this unexpected? Nearly all of them are code names anyway and reasons are given for them during the game. More than likely it's even more ridiculous in this game because this time Kojima's the top dog on all decision making and there was nobody to keep him from venting all the absolute batshit crazy floating around in his head.

Why WOULD he know that his mom was president? It makes it pretty clear right at the beginning of the game that he hasn't had contact with anyone he knew for something like 10 years and they clearly had some sort of falling out (just now starting to learn about what happened in like Ch. 7). She was not the President before he left, and there is little to no way for information to get around until what you're doing the in the game starts networking people together again. This is supported by the fact that you even run into people who, before hooked up, thought the destruction of Central Knot City was just a rumor, not to mention all the rumors and false information about Fragile floating around in the center of the country.

And BBs aren't supposed to work for people with DOOMS. He's astonished because this one does for some reason (though it was supposedly 'broken' anyway and was going to get incinerated). Once it's established that the thing DOES work for him for some reason, why wouldn't he be on board with it? It's a new thing that's happened and researching them is part of his job so he's all for learning more. Just like it's an amazing breakthrough that Sam apparently has magical BT killing blood and then it becomes the 'next big thing' shortly after and they start producing Anti-BT weapons with it to help other porters. The state of everything is so desperate that any and all new breakthroughs to help people survive and reconnect are adopted and adapted ASAP. 

Is the story some sort of ground breaking art? No. It's a ridiculous, garbled mystery machine just like every one of the Metal Gear Solid games was, but that's exactly what i was expecting and I'm enjoying every second of it. Finally starting to put some of the pieces together at the point I'm at and am interested to see if it will make any kind of sense by the end (though it will probably end up being even more confusing I'm sure).