Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Things You Didn't Pick Up On For Years

Everyone's got something that they saw in a movie or overheard someone say that they couldn't figure out at the time, until years later when they finally figure it out, right? What's something you never understood until much later on?

I'm watching Die Hard With A Vengeance for the first time in a while (i've seen it maybe 6 times over the years) and never understood how they figured out the water jug puzzle. It's not that it was incredibly difficult to figure out, I just couldn't do it for some reason until tonight. 

Another thing, same movie. Not going to spoil it because if you haven't seen the movie yet, you probably never will (it came out in 1995). John walks into the Federal Reserve bank that's been taken over by Simon's people. Something in the elevator tipped him off that the guards with him weren't the real ones, and I never noticed why until tonight. I saw he looked at the badge of one of the guys, but never understood how that clued John in. The guy took the badge from one of the real cops he killed earlier, and John recognized the badge number due to asking him about the lotto numbers that particular cop always played (his badge number). 

I feel so dumb having never figured those things out.

I can't of any moments for myself atm. But a few of us were watching Lost Boys once and one of my friends watching it with us. Who is probably as big of a horror genre fan as Ghost is. Conveyed to us that it only was like about 3 years ago as to why the movie was called Lost Boys and the "peter pan" references the movie had. We all gave him a wtf look since he's 42. It was hilarious.

The words to the Offspring song Come Out and Play.  MT knows. :rotfl:

I'll never forget the first time I heard that. I could not believe my ears.

Well, your eyes since I was typing along to the song while I listened to it.  Nappa's response was the best.  Fuck I wish I had a log of that somewhere. :rotfl:

oh, i have a good one! I don't know if I can explain it right though because it's SO dumb

OK so in the Hakuna Matata song in The Lion King there's the part where they're clearly about to say the word "farted" and instead go "shh, not in front of the kids!"

When I first saw it, I knew they were talking about Pumbaa farting, and that the joke was they were about to flat out say it.... but for whatever reason it didn't click to me that they were literally going to use the word "farted." Even though the rhyme was set up, it was all right there, I got the joke and thought it was funny but it took several watchings of it for my little dumb ass to realize it wasn't just "the joke is farts" it's absolutely 100% "the joke is farts"

I don't know if that makes sense but whatever I'm tired of explaining it

• ROFL 1

10 minutes ago, webhead said:

Nappa's response was the best.  Fuck I wish I had a log of that somewhere. :rotfl:

Was it something like this?

• ROFL 1

OH! That makes me remember!  I didn't realize until my 20's about Ursula talking about "body language" to Ariel when stealing her voice. When it did finally dawn on me I was all "FUCK SHE'S TALKING ABOUT SEX"

2 minutes ago, MT said:

Was it something like this?

Pretty similar. :rotfl:

1 hour ago, webhead said:

The words to the Offspring song Come Out and Play.  MT knows. :rotfl:

you can't just say that and not elaborate you fucker

A LONG TIME AGO IN AN IRC CHAT FAR FAR AWAY

* webhead is listening to:  The Offspring - Come Out and Play

<webhead> "HEY!  Man you talkin back to me...drink your milk"

<Nappa> You're a fucking idiot.  How on Earth did you pull those lyrics out?

<MT> ROFL

etc :rotfl:

Oh shit, that's what I heard the first few times too eyyyyyy

This:

Image result for Spank the Monkey Rocko

9 year old me didn't know Spank the Monkey had another meaning...also the restaruant being called Chokey Chicken 

Also didn't know that Rocko was a Phone Sex operator until later either... :lurk:

Actually you could probably just say the entire show had a lot of stuff I didn't understand when I originally watched it. 

• ROFL 2

I miss those days of Nickelodeon.

Me too.  They still have some good stuff from time to time.

They don't out-weigh the bad ones

Most TV stations throw out a lot of crap and only a few things really stick.  I'm not surprised.

I've been re-binging Gilmore Girls and I've forgotten how much there was a lot of Lorilai's jokes that I somehow shouldn't have understood when I first watched it in my younger days.